Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah, i assumed this was a tear across the seal, not it detaching like that - that seems like a much easier thing to fix. Use a pin to apply a tiny drop of the adhesive in the centre, then work it out from there.

Also clean your helmet man, that's gross.

Happy now, dad?

(I got a small tube of shoe goo, gonna try it out once the helmet's dry)

e/ fuuuuck this stuff is ridiculously hard to work with, it starts curing less than a second after leaving the tube. Gonna have to just daub it on and cut off the excess later. We'll see how that goes, if it doesn't work guess I'll either deal or just semi-permanently seal the visor with RTV when it starts getting really rainy again.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Is there such a thing as textile pants that fit decently? Most overpants I've had or tried on are pretty baggy and I want something that's going to fit a little closer so I'm less worried about the armor moving in a fall. Something closer to the track leathers end of the spectrum, just in textile.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Jazzzzz posted:

What kind of pants are you looking for? Klim gear is pretty roomy for a given size when compared to the equivalent in European brands. Olympia if you're looking for something less spendy (also not made as well).

Generally just riding jeans/cargo pants. There's a place in town where I can try Klim gear. I'll have to go check when they are open next.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Let me know if you find anything that fits, I have the same problem, I'm a 36" waist, and even upsizing to a 38 I end up swimming in the waist, and still tight on the thighs/butt.

Motorcycle gear/fashionable clothes just aren't made for thicc men.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Elviscat posted:

Let me know if you find anything that fits, I have the same problem, I'm a 36" waist, and even upsizing to a 38 I end up swimming in the waist, and still tight on the thighs/butt.

Motorcycle gear/fashionable clothes just aren't made for thicc men.

If you can find them, the Sliders cargo pants are what I'm using now and what I am comparing the other pants I've been trying on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kiPjgHNXFY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU00zY7Jerk

Though it looks like they stopped making them last year.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m gonna look at the hardanger suit from klim if I can find a retail place that stocks them in LA

I lost 25 lbs last year and my nice Dainese jacket is like way too big now :(

Any chubby bois want some slightly used leather?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ought ten posted:

Is there such a thing as textile pants that fit decently? Most overpants I've had or tried on are pretty baggy and I want something that's going to fit a little closer so I'm less worried about the armor moving in a fall. Something closer to the track leathers end of the spectrum, just in textile.

Opposite of the advice I gave earlier for roomy stuff - look at European brands and stick to things that aren't specifically made to be an overpant. ADV gear also tends to fit a little looser but you may be able to size down and keep the same inseam.

I have a set of Rukka Air All summer riding pants that fit very snug (I sized down from the Rukka chart and probably didn't need to). Dainese and Rev'It have models that fit similarly.

Juergoslav
Mar 10, 2013
Is the shrinking of helmet interior paddings a thing?
My Caberg Duke Legend got extremely loud and somehow windy inside.
Only thing that helps are earplugs and a neck scarf pulled over my head.
It's only 5 years old but this is getting really annoying.
Or is it just a bad helmet to begin with and I should get a good one?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
1: yes, the padding bedding down is A Thing. Take it out and wash it now and then if you weren't doing already, or you can usually order new cheek liners from the manufacturer, sometimes in a bulkier size if you've got a small face. Don't bother doing that this time though because

2: five years is very much end of life for a motorcycle helmet, please get a new one.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Opposite of the advice I gave earlier for roomy stuff - look at European brands and stick to things that aren't specifically made to be an overpant. ADV gear also tends to fit a little looser but you may be able to size down and keep the same inseam.

I have a set of Rukka Air All summer riding pants that fit very snug (I sized down from the Rukka chart and probably didn't need to). Dainese and Rev'It have models that fit similarly.

Thanks for this. Great advice. I found a pair of Dainese pants on sale that look like they're exactly what I was looking for. Just hoping I got the fit right.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any recommendations for riding jeans that look and wear like a pair of Levis 511 Slim Fits? Preferably in dark blue and black?

Look at the Pando Moto stuff. They have regular kevlar lined and some heftier stuff in the Dyneema denim, which looks tough as hell. I have the chinos and the fit is similar to my Levis 513s. Look at the size guide on the Pando site though, it's not normal. The 28x34 Pando size fits the same as my 30x32 Levis.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

New lid new lid new lid!!

:dance:

Bought this sight unseen and unfitted, I'm very pleased it looks even better in person and fits better than I could have imagined!
AGV AX9 Pacific Road. The visor is detachable.
Now I just need a matching Yamaha MT-09.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I finally settled on the Klim K Fifty 2, and man do riding jeans take a lot of the hullabaloo out of getting geared up to go ride compared to full leather pants. I still appreciate the sheer level of protection I feel from a two piece suit, but the convenience factor is very real.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Visor seal seems fixed, thanks for the tips! :toot:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm ordering baby's first one piece suit soon, how tight should it fit? I'm pretty sure tight enough that it's uncomfortable to stand up straight, but the last suit I wore was just crushing my balls when I stood up. I know you want it tighter than you think so it doesn't move around when you fall, but surely that's too tight? I already purchased my back protector, so I'll make sure to try it on while wearing that, but if I'm one day hoping to add the A* tech air system, do I need to allow a little extra room for that? I'll be buying a tech air compatible suit.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

we’re going to need to see your Balls

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Pretend I posted that picture from twitter of a dude with an abnormally red nutsack, I think in the bath? Anyway the left one hangs lower than the right but all in all I'd say they're pretty normal balls so I'm guessing whatever the usual rule for balls is for 1pc suits should apply? I know the suit will stretch out a bit with use, but I'm trying to find the right line between tight enough and not so tight that I just wasted $1k

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

a 1pc or 2pc suit should be tight enough that you notice it, but not so tight as that it crushes your ballsack. How is this something that needs explaining?

Buy whatever fits the closest and have it altered properly.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any recommendations for riding jeans that look and wear like a pair of Levis 511 Slim Fits? Preferably in dark blue and black?

I've got a pair of women's Draggin Jeans "modern fit" that fit pretty slim, though apparently that model is out of production. They do have slim fit men's jeans now though. The aren't going to be as skinny as Levi's, but they're not bad.

https://www.dragginjeans.com/mens/mens-blue-comfort-slim-fit-draggin-jeans/

Not wearing them here, but I will say the Shoei RS helmet is nice when used with a transition lens and pinlock.

Also, my Vanson Hurricane Mk2 perforated leather jacket flows air really well and is nice and comfy, though the pockets are too small for my cell phone.

Also also, I started thinking I'm on way to having a white Power Ranger suit, until I said that outloud and yikes...

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 4, 2019

tjones
May 13, 2005
Anyone have any tips for getting track suit alterations? I'm not even sure where to start to ensure I don't contract someone to tear apart a good suit and destroy it. I don't need any leather changed, but I need the stretch panels (or seam for the stretch panels) on the inside of the legs modified.

It's an OG model of the AStars GP Pro; purchased years ago and I haven't worn it in quite some time. My thighs have become bigger / more muscular since I first bought it.

The stretch panel stitch seam that attaches the inside crotch stretch panel segment to the inner lower leg stretch panel segment has zero elasticity to it, and the seam is cutting right through the middle of my inner thigh muscles. It's a horizontal seam running almost parallel with the ground, about six inches above the knee / below the crotch. It cutting into the muscle isn't prominent when standing, but is very pronounced sitting. It's super uncomfortable, making the suit useless if I'm wearing it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

I believe what I need is a bigger piece (or pieces) of stretch panel swapped into that space and then re-stiched with more room for the panel to stretch at that seam. That seam, as it is now, is not allowing for any give where those two panels meet, which happens to be located at the largest circumference of my thigh. In hindsight this seems stupid considering those panels are made to stretch and that seam prevents the panel from doing so where it's located. But I'm not a tailor or track suit designer and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Those stretch panels attach to the outer leg leather pieces, so I'm concerned with the stitch re-work holding up in a crash as I'm sure my rear end and outer legs would take a lot of the sliding force that these stretch panels are attached to.

I'm assuming I'd probably need this tailored in person? Do I need someone dedicated to modifying track suits? Is mailing off a suit even a thing?

The rest of the suit fits like a glove and is a perfect race fit. I love this suit and want to keep it.

tjones fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 13, 2019

tjones
May 13, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm ordering baby's first one piece suit soon, how tight should it fit? I'm pretty sure tight enough that it's uncomfortable to stand up straight, but the last suit I wore was just crushing my balls when I stood up.

Just saw this while trying to catch up with the thread. I'll preface the below advice with the fact that I know nothing about air systems.

My suit absolutely crushes my balls when I'm not on the bike and trying to walk around. They split right up the middle into some type of hosed up camel toe. I can't stand completely upright and have to hunch over if I'm zippered up. It's snug tight but doesn't cause any discomfort (except for my above problem, which doesn't affect anything else with the suit besides that weird seam). If I'm not on the bike I come out of the arms so I can walk around unhindered.

When I'm on the bike (or sitting in a chair) the suit is perfectly fine and everything is where it needs to be. This is what you want to be concerned with. You don't want the pads moving around or it can cause rolling and pinching if you have a come off.

Order from a company that will allow returns (like revzilla) and wear it around the house for a few hours at first (with any extra padding you plan to wear, like chest / back protectors). If anything goes numb or starts to tingle its too small. Once you think you've got the right size, do some workouts with the suit on to get hot and sweaty and then do a ton of yoga stretches to help break the suit in. It's like a leather jacket and will take hours of riding to properly break in and loosen up. It's gonna be super stiff at first.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks, that's good to know. I know someone else commented if it's crushing your balls it's bad, which seems obvious, but the guys at the track who lent me the suit that's probably ideal if you're standing up. I didn't notice anything uncomfortable at all on the bike while on the track, but holy poo poo I felt weird walking around with it. Same thing as you, I pretty much had to walk hunched over if I didn't unzip and try to get my arms out (and this is before I had my undersuit, gently caress it's hard to get bare skin out of leather once you're sweating).

I know this is only my first suit and I'm sure I'll end up with more, but they're so pricey I'd hate to buy one, think it's going to break in and work, then realize too late to return it I need another one.

tjones
May 13, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks, that's good to know. I know someone else commented if it's crushing your balls it's bad, which seems obvious, but the guys at the track who lent me the suit that's probably ideal if you're standing up. I didn't notice anything uncomfortable at all on the bike while on the track, but holy poo poo I felt weird walking around with it. Same thing as you, I pretty much had to walk hunched over if I didn't unzip and try to get my arms out (and this is before I had my undersuit, gently caress it's hard to get bare skin out of leather once you're sweating).

I know this is only my first suit and I'm sure I'll end up with more, but they're so pricey I'd hate to buy one, think it's going to break in and work, then realize too late to return it I need another one.

As long as you feel comfortable on the bike, you're going to be golden. To add, if it is tight when you stand up, pay close attention to your shoulders as well. If the suit pinches around your neck line or puts a lot of pressure at the top of your shoulder blades, it has the chance of causing your arms go to sleep after wearing it a long time.

You want good range of motion for your upper body when sitting on the bike. The suit shouldn't impede you moving around in the saddle or when you are kissing your handlebars in a cornering position.

I had the same concerns you do with my suit when I first purchased it. I wanted the suit to be a snug race fit, but I was worried I was buying the wrong size and was going to make a costly mistake. I asked around (and even here, if I recall correctly) and everyone assured me the suit was fine. That ended up being the case, and it all worked out in the end.

I'm not sure about the air system. It looks to be no bigger than an under suit all-in-one protective vest. I would definitely want to consult someone who knows more about the air system suits before buying. Maybe revzilla's gear guys could point you in a good direction? I'd wager a track day org's group / forum might have some guys who have already went through the adoption period with these suits.

I'm sure you've already seen this by now, but aplinestar's website has a size guide for the tech air systems: https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air-race-airbag-system

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks, I think the tech-air bag is roughly similar to the A* back protector I have, looks like just a tiny bit bigger, so I'll just wear the back protector on when trying out the fit (which I would do anyway)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I need a new helmet, I currently have a Shoei RF-1100, which is, as far as I'm concerned, the most perfect helmet ever made, it fits perfect, like perfect perfect, like it was custom made for my head, it has ear cut outs that make riding with earbuds comfortable, I impulse bought it the second I put it on in the store because of these qualities.

Unfortunately it had 6 years and 25,000 miles on it, so it's firmly in "don't wear me anymore idiot" territory, so I'm looking at new helmets.

My current favorites are the Shoei GT-air, Arai DT-X, and Shoei X-12, the Bell Race Star is also in the mix, but I think might be a little too race oriented. I'm leaning towards the GT-air, use case is sport-touring and commuting on an FZ6. Does anyone have any suggestions based on this info? Anyone know what fits closest to the RF-1100? These helmets are hard to find in stores near me to try in, so I'll be buying online.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think you'll find the rf1200 is closest.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, but is the Air a better touring helmet? The X-12 is a more upmarket helmet, and they're about the same price because of sales, are the Arai's any better?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never tried an arai, an x12 has way less padding and way more noise and is basically a track lid. I don't know how you'd define 'better' but if you like those flip down shade things an air is ok I guess?

IIRC the air is designed for totally upright riding positions while the rf1200 is more sport-touring, aerodynamically. I think they also have different shell shapes but not sure on that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The X-12 is an older model and the current one like that is the X-14 (X-Spirit 3 over here) which I got a couple of months back. It's a great helmet but like Slavvy says its pretty sporty. The fit is very snug, I wouldn't say its super loud but not a quiet lid by any stretch. Earbuds fit under it ok.

One thing that's impressed me is the stability, I was sceptical of the fins and things on the back of it but it does seem like they work and having a wobble free head is nice on the motorway.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
GT-Air fits slightly longer front-to-back than the RF1200 (I have a long oval head and can tolerate the GT-Air for more than 5 seconds, the RF1200 creates an instant hot spot on the forehead). It has the internal drop-down visor, but it's also kinda heavy. It will do fine in either a 3/4 or upright riding position, shouldn't really be that much different than the RF1200 in that respect.

The RF1200 DOES NOT FIT like the RF1100. Try a GT-Air and an RF1200 on and see for yourself. If you really like the RF1100, the GT-Air will probably be a better fit for you.

I wouldn't say Arai street helmets are any better than Shoei - I think it's the other way around, actually. I have to wear Arais because they're the only thing that really fits my head shape, but if Shoei made an honest-to-god long oval helmet I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Quality of build is very similar but Shoeis just look better to me. Arai is stuck on very round external shapes (they think it's safer) and their graphics options are usually pretty lame.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I went from an RF1100 to an RF1200 and despite what many claim it does not fit the same. I have a long oval head and had to go up from a small to a medium with thicker cheek pads in the transition. The 1200 Is still a great helmet, just not plug and play for fitment coming from the 1100.

One complaint I do have about the 1200 is that it no longer has the fancy lever that lets you lock the face shield or push it into a forward position that's unseated from the rubber gasket for ventilation/defogging. Now the bottom position is just a really stiff snap lock that's annoying to deal with.

On the upside, the 1200 is significantly lighter, more compact, and has fewer individual fiddly vents on the shell to mess with. It's also supposed to be remarkably quiet for a sportier helmet, moreso than many touring models.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's extremely helpful, thanks guys.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I just retired my rf-1100 for an arai signet-x and kinda wish I’d waited for the gt-air 2. Don’t get me wrong, the arai is very well made and the fit is perfect, even better than the shoei. It’s louder though from the top vents and I hate hate the visor latch, I like to flip up the visor when I’m in town and it’s way too finicky. I did get it for like 30% off though that was nice.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress it, let's hope this one lasts 6 years without touching pavement too.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-gt-air-helmet

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Targeted ads are real... real dumb.

https://www.facebook.com/bikerhelmets

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I want to believe the vision blocked + broken neck comment is a troll, but in my heart of hearts I know that it was serious

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I've heard that poo poo unironically in real life, I guess those dipshits have never tried a full-face helmet on, because there's absolutely zero peripheral blockage, maybe a bit on the top, but why the gently caress would you look up? Obviously the neck-snapping thing is people who don't understand physics outside of movies or a justification for a style choice.

I broke up with a girl I had been dating for a couple months because she told me wearing a full face helmet on my cruiser was "kinda faggy"

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Just made an appointment to get “Gotta’ be careful, drive fast, but defensively” tattooed across my chest

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I broke up with a girl I had been dating for a couple months because she told me wearing a full face helmet on my cruiser was "kinda faggy"

“You can’t break up with me, that’s super gay!”
*flicks down visor*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

I just retired my rf-1100 for an arai signet-x and kinda wish I’d waited for the gt-air 2. Don’t get me wrong, the arai is very well made and the fit is perfect, even better than the shoei. It’s louder though from the top vents and I hate hate the visor latch, I like to flip up the visor when I’m in town and it’s way too finicky. I did get it for like 30% off though that was nice.

I dunno WTF Arai was thinking with that stupid little thumb latch. It doesn't do a goddamned thing on mine, I have to catch the edge of the shield with my thumb if I want to open it.

I wish I could find something that fits as well as the Signet X but doesn't look like a damned fish bowl. I recently picked up an Icon Airflite; there's very a mild forehead hot spot but I'm hoping it will go away once the padding breaks in.

Elviscat posted:

gently caress it, let's hope this one lasts 6 years without touching pavement too.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-gt-air-helmet

If you order one of those make sure to check the build date and be ready to return it. I've ordered a couple of clearance helmets from RevZilla and NewEnough/MotorcycleGear.com before and am about 50/50 on getting ones that have been sitting in a warehouse for more than half their usable life.