Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh sure, I'm 100% in the camp of "if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks". Most people in this thread are, I think. It's just that if you post specific stuff here, people're gonna tell you what they think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The more we work on our home the more fun it is to shoot in.

Our most recent addition is this console and mirror which brightens up our dining area with reflected light.

I've got a couple of desks arriving this week to go into my study and provide some much needed work space.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

actionjackson posted:

My old (and incredibly modern looking!) fridge appears to be... unlevel? Not sure how I never noticed this. Note the width of the gap on the left side.

Or was it just never adjusted properly?

Fortunately there is this very modern looking replacement!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-16-4-cu-ft-Quad-French-Door-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-HRQ16N3BGS/300859002

Could you not just use the little screw feet on the bottom to level it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah that's what I realized.. I can't believe I never noticed that until now!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh sure, I'm 100% in the camp of "if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks". Most people in this thread are, I think. It's just that if you post specific stuff here, people're gonna tell you what they think of it.

Oh, I definitely believe in accounting for taste. None of the furniture that's been posted in the last few pages is that bad though, even the shiplap dresser.

Here is a very ugly house that makes me hate whoever decorated and furnished the place. Also the realtor who put "dine like Marie Antoinette" in the listing like it's a good thing.

I keep looking for the room people are actually going to use and I can't find it. Maybe it's not fancy enough to be shown to the public.The listing describes an additional 400sf kitchen space in the basement that I assume is where the chef actually cooks.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Oh French countryside aesthetic, what horrors you have wrought.

Also I know that's probably just cheap wooden paneling hung on the ceiling, but it looks like vinyl siding and frankly I'd respect that more because "I built my house out of random crap and then decorated it out a Tuesday Morning sale bin" is an ethos I can respect.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 26, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, actionjackson, if you haven’t figured it out already this thread is only ever like 70% constructive and good-faith at very best. And the other 30% is people emphatically failing to agree on the monetary and aesthetic worth of anything at all. So please don’t stress out around making sure that every decision you make has the full support of the thread. You’re entitled to buy what you like and appeals to you if you aren’t being financially unsound or sawing into your joists. But some goons will poo poo all over anything that you post and find a reason why you’re an idiot rube.

While I don't participate much in this thread it's the only one I keep an active mod eye on because (excepting maybe crappy construction) it's the only one where people get into scuffles, though they die down pretty quickly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My first thought

Literally same for me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I too, am a french aristocrat escaped to the wilds of Canada to avoid the guillotine

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Looking for a good storage bed. The bludot lid and modulicious beds seem nice. Definitely wanting a platform bed. Anyone seen anything nice recently?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Youth Decay posted:

Oh, I definitely believe in accounting for taste. None of the furniture that's been posted in the last few pages is that bad though, even the shiplap dresser.

Here is a very ugly house that makes me hate whoever decorated and furnished the place. Also the realtor who put "dine like Marie Antoinette" in the listing like it's a good thing.

I keep looking for the room people are actually going to use and I can't find it. Maybe it's not fancy enough to be shown to the public.The listing describes an additional 400sf kitchen space in the basement that I assume is where the chef actually cooks.

All this needs is Jacques the 16th Earl of Clouseau with a meerschaum, tripping over each of the ottomans in the room.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My fridge space is 36.5" wide which would be fine for a 36" fridge (they are really 35.75" and recommend 1/8" on each side). However on the floor the mouldings reduce the width to 35". Would removing the mouldings be feasible? There are VERY few 33" counter depth fridges.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Sure, easy. Work a putty knife along the wall if you don't want to damage your drywall to remove the trim. Use a hammer if you don't care (you should care its easy). Probably won't look perfect depending how they did the corner. Post pics!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

actionjackson posted:

My fridge space is 36.5" wide which would be fine for a 36" fridge (they are really 35.75" and recommend 1/8" on each side). However on the floor the mouldings reduce the width to 35". Would removing the mouldings be feasible? There are VERY few 33" counter depth fridges.

If you mean the shoe molding, the new fridge may just clear them as the wheels are slightly inboard and there's usually an inch or so clearance off the floor.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is the fridge. I would imagine there is clearance at the bottom but I can't figure out how much.

I did call them and there is enough in front but that's not going to help for the back part of the fridge. I'd have to just remove the moulding.

Why is there moulding in there anyway???

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/64/64195af0-476b-4a83-aaa6-9cf873d55b40.pdf

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 26, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Unless you have only wall and quarter round that won't work

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

actionjackson posted:

That's too tight even removing the baseboard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Looking for a good storage bed. The bludot lid and modulicious beds seem nice. Definitely wanting a platform bed. Anyone seen anything nice recently?

I've been looking too, I'll check these out.

Try searching "Captain's bed" on Wayfair etc

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Youth Decay posted:

Nobody in that house knew when to stop decorating.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah I think I'll get a Samsung 33" fridge. There are literally four counter depth 33" fridges.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ooof, I had an art history professor at Montana State whose research career was focused on Marie Antoinette, and even he would find that place hideous.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ooof, I had an art history professor at Montana State whose research career was focused on Marie Antoinette, and even he would find that place hideous.

Maybe he'd have a professional interest in the combo of old-barn and baroque furnishings, like Marie Antoinette's porcelain milk pails.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Nobody in that house knew when to stop decorating.

Most of those rooms are over the top in a bad way, but a couple shots make it look like the right amount of over the top. Great house to eat acid in, which isn’t like a top 10 thing I look for in a house, but top 15 for sure.

And the grounds are insane.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 27, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BigFactory posted:

Most of those rooms are over the top in a bad way, but a couple shots make it look like the right amount of over the top. Great house to eat acid in, which isn’t like a top 10 thing I look for in a house, but top 15 for sure.

Woah. LSD French Revolution reenactment theme house?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BigFactory posted:

I’ve seen too many surreal late-60s-through-1980 films that invoke that aesthetic in some way (a bunch of Kubrick and Jodorowsky and horror and sci-fi films come to mind) and I would hate to be tripping into them

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Also just saw Alejandro Jodorowsky’s twitter and it’s very much an old Latin American man’s social media account. In a way I almost didn’t expect for the guy who made The Holy Mountain.

Like it’s full of inspirational memes and poo poo :3:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’ve seen too many surreal late-60s-through-1980 films that invoke that aesthetic in some way (a bunch of Kubrick and Jodorowsky and horror and sci-fi films come to mind) and I would hate to be tripping into them

Nah, it would be a blast. Ride some horses, eat some acid, get a car into the city, get home in time to watch sunrise from that back deck. It would be rad.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I talked to my aunt about my ugly kitchen and bathroom flooring. She mentioned stuff by this designer using "Plynyl" which is some sort of very durable and stain resistant vinyl.

For the kitchen I'd be doing something grey. These are obviously expensive but very nice.

:siren: dwr warning :siren:

https://www.dwr.com/rugs/chilewich-wave-mat/2196227.html?lang=en_US (in grey probably)

https://www.dwr.com/rugs-runners/chilewich-boucle-floor-runner/2197011.html?lang=en_US#q=chilewich&lang=en_US&start=4 (in moon)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 27, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oops this is the floor (that fridge will be stainless at some point...)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

actionjackson posted:

I talked to my aunt about my ugly kitchen and bathroom flooring. She mentioned stuff by this designer using "Plynyl" which is some sort of very durable and stain resistant vinyl.

For the kitchen I'd be doing something grey. These are obviously expensive but very nice.

:siren: dwr warning :siren:

https://www.dwr.com/rugs/chilewich-wave-mat/2196227.html?lang=en_US (in grey probably)

https://www.dwr.com/rugs-runners/chilewich-boucle-floor-runner/2197011.html?lang=en_US#q=chilewich&lang=en_US&start=4 (in moon)

Chilewich textiles have been nice we have runners from there.

Luxury vinyl tile is the hardiest, most stubborn (and not all that expensive) flooring product you can buy, it's just putting plastic on your floor but I highly recommend it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are you talking about something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Ampezzo-12-in-x-24-in-Luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring-19-58-sq-ft-case-60202/207047484

I considered it, but I'm concerned about having two layers of flooring. Doesn't seem like that great of an idea. Also the process of getting it underneath all the mouldings.

Also just putting a mat down is wayyyyyyyy easier :)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 27, 2019

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Youth Decay posted:

Out of all the flamboyant French aristocrats to emulate, why pick the one whose tastes in gaudy overpriced tat was so bad she literally got beheaded?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

Are you talking about something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Ampezzo-12-in-x-24-in-Luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring-19-58-sq-ft-case-60202/207047484

I considered it, but I'm concerned about having two layers of flooring. Doesn't seem like that great of an idea. Also the process of getting it underneath all the mouldings.

My upstairs bathroom has at least three layers of floor that previous owners put in rather than bother with tearing it down to the subfloor. Somehow despite all these remodels it's still a lousy bathroom.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

three layers???? I thought the max was supposed to be two...

another question: it was suggested to me that I remedy the bathroom floor by using a medium blue rug/mat/whatever so I actually have some color in the room. What would be the best kind of material here? Something pretty thick?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 27, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

actionjackson posted:

three layers???? I thought the max was supposed to be two...

Says who? The flooring fairy?

Here's what I found in my kitchen during reno:

That is one two three four FIVE layers of "finished" flooring.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
You can't fool me—I see that sixth layer of flooring in the top left corner! You trying to hold out on us?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Enchanted Hat posted:

You can't fool me—I see that sixth layer of flooring in the top left corner! You trying to hold out on us?

That was the flooring he was putting on top

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

That was the flooring he was putting on top

Poured the screed right over it. It's free insulation!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

another question: it was suggested to me that I remedy the bathroom floor by using a medium blue rug/mat/whatever so I actually have some color in the room. What would be the best kind of material here? Something pretty thick?

You're overthinking this, mate. "Bath mat" is a category. They're fluffy but thin enough to wash easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Says who? The flooring fairy?

Here's what I found in my kitchen during reno:

That is one two three four FIVE layers of "finished" flooring.

with the product I linked to, it said it can be put over one layer of vinyl but not more than one. I thought maybe that was standard.