Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Haven't had any issues re: movement on the bases.

Also, drat that looks good! Maybe I do need to make my next box of troops in the correct scheme...

I love it but they're so dark. I bet the white transfers will break it up though. Same with patterns on the cloaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JBP posted:

I love it but they're so dark. I bet the white transfers will break it up though. Same with patterns on the cloaks.

Yeah but give them a lighter base and they'll really pop, I'll bet.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I want to make a base with one crawling up an incline with the turret level. It's just that the bases are so huge for me. Seems like it will make them hard to move around.

Base size is something taken into account when balancing the models, so not basing them and making them easier to move around terrain is giving you an advantage.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I want to make a base with one crawling up an incline with the turret level. It's just that the bases are so huge for me. Seems like it will make them hard to move around.

Anyway here's the beginning of the skitarii

Not really sure how to do the robes at this point. I've messed around just adding some grey highlights. It'll get there eventually.

I did the same thing with mine when I based them. They look great if you can get one leg not attached, like it’s picking it’s way through the terrain:

Sorry for the potato quality. I might have better photos of them, but I can’t find them at the moment.

That skitarii looks great. Off to a good start.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zuul the Cat posted:

I did the same thing with mine when I based them. They look great if you can get one leg not attached, like it’s picking it’s way through the terrain:

Sorry for the potato quality. I might have better photos of them, but I can’t find them at the moment.

That skitarii looks great. Off to a good start.

Man those own. The cloak markings help but holy poo poo this is going to take a long time. I figured out that just painting a white strip then black it in works but there's no forgiveness for mistakes. Would a white ink pen be better for this or something?

E:

Going to stop now and write down what I've done. So much for a batch paint but I know how to do most of it now. Lots of stuff I've missed.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 27, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

Anyway here's the beginning of the skitarii

Not really sure how to do the robes at this point. I've messed around just adding some grey highlights. It'll get there eventually.

I would consider waiting until the contrast paints come out, supposedly they will significantly speed up organic surfaces like those robes.

That really does look great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would consider waiting until the contrast paints come out, supposedly they will significantly speed up organic surfaces like those robes.

That really does look great.

Yeah even following highlighting guides the grey paints are just too bright. I've tried to wind it back with nuln oil but it's just a weird process. I wonder if just laying down some grey highlights, hitting it with contrast then doing a fine edge will look good with minimal fuss. I've done some edge highlights with wolf grey and that actually looks better than highlighting the whole cloak.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

Yeah even following highlighting guides the grey paints are just too bright. I've tried to wind it back with nuln oil but it's just a weird process. I wonder if just laying down some grey highlights, hitting it with contrast then doing a fine edge will look good with minimal fuss. I've done some edge highlights with wolf grey and that actually looks better than highlighting the whole cloak.

Another option is wet blending with inks. That's how I did the cloak on my Watch Master.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Start with a very dark grey as your base, highlight up to a mid or bright grey according to taste, then darkening it with 2 coats of Nuln oil has been my go to black recipe.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

It's really hard to highlight black with grey. Very dark reds, purples, or blues are all useful and good places to start. Most the things we see aren't so much black as really dark other colors which comes through in the highlights. Keep your bright highlights very small and very bright.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah for the last thing that involved "black" leather I mixed a dark grey, dry brushed some lighter grey, then washed it dark blue, picked out the edges again and then put nuln oil in the recesses. Turned out pretty well, but no way I'm doing that for 50 troops. Can't wait for the contrast paints.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah for the last thing that involved "black" leather I mixed a dark grey, dry brushed some lighter grey, then washed it dark blue, picked out the edges again and then put nuln oil in the recesses. Turned out pretty well, but no way I'm doing that for 50 troops. Can't wait for the contrast paints.

Yeah black always seems high effort. I'm base coating these guys black because they're all cloak and metal so it's the best choice, but I really wonder how the black contrast paint is going to work. It's no real hassle to paint on a single coat of dark grey then hit it with contrast paint and see what happens.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Base size is something taken into account when balancing the models, so not basing them and making them easier to move around terrain is giving you an advantage.

Also as someone who owns and has played with Dunecrawlers, they really aren't that big a deal to move around. They're rarely crossing much of the board anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/26/coming-soon-paint-revolutionisedgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

Contrast paints are out on June 15th, preorder on 8th. Which I think is close to some predictions here.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I was worried I went overboard with the verdigris, but gently caress it, what better way to experiment with Vallejo Game Effects than on a Nurgle worshiping, skull aficionado?

His name is Mulgh. Mulgh Grulgus.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Count_Brass posted:

Working on this guy at the moment; it's taken a year but I think I'm getting a feel for highlighting black! This is a really cool model, super fun to paint.

Cross-posting the Phobos Captain I'm working on at the moment.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That looks phenomenal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cthulu Carl posted:

I was worried I went overboard with the verdigris, but gently caress it, what better way to experiment with Vallejo Game Effects than on a Nurgle worshiping, skull aficionado?

His name is Mulgh. Mulgh Grulgus.

I feel like the fun thing with Nurgle is that too much is enough. That dude looks rad, I really like the axe. The cutting edge looks really slick alongside all that ready to dispense tetanus.

Count_Brass posted:

Cross-posting the Phobos Captain I'm working on at the moment.

Awesome

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Finished my Ambots looted into Big Meks, this one is just a Mega Armor Big Mek with KFF. About 3-4 hours of work total.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Jumpoff posted:

Finished my Ambots looted into Big Meks, this one is just a Mega Armor Big Mek with KFF. About 3-4 hours of work total.

Those bull conversions are a delightful combination of good design, pleasing paint job, and simplicity of form. I really like this one in particular. I think the head could use some more emphasis.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Got in a game of 1k points of my painted AdMech (4 Skitarii are still bare plastic) against my friend's melee focused Death Guard. Ended up spending most of the game hanging back and shooting the slowly advancing horde of Poxwalkers, especially once I took out his Plague Drone and Rhino full of Plague Marines. Kept close on objectives until I pulled sharply ahead at round 5, then the game ended with me winning.

Here's a shot of the end of Round 3:

I would have felt worse about it, but I was just so glad to have a nearly fully painted force on the table for the first time. And besides, he usually plays Tau.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Those bull conversions are a delightful combination of good design, pleasing paint job, and simplicity of form. I really like this one in particular. I think the head could use some more emphasis.

I agree on the head, the issue is the pose of the body really makes it hard to get light onto the face for taking photos. I could definitely spend more time on this guy though, i rush painted him in 3ish hours. Thanks for the kind words though :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Went home from work at 2 due to being very sick. Figured ah well might as well fire up the airbrush and cough into my mask for a bit...

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How much freedom did you have to pose the Dunecrawler legs? I'd be worried about not getting them level, and end up with a Dunecrawler listing over to one side.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gunder posted:

How much freedom did you have to pose the Dunecrawler legs? I'd be worried about not getting them level, and end up with a Dunecrawler listing over to one side.

None, they're level if you build them to the instructions. All you can do is move them laterally (if you want them closer together) but if you want more dynamic poses you need to cut the plastic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was a bit disappointed that they could move around the tank but moving them up and down wasn't possible. I'm still going to try for a base where it's on an angle with a straight turret. Who knows if I get a third one I might Go Hog Wild and give chopping to reposition a go.

I'm also glad I've been basing black, these reds are coming out sinister

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 27, 2019

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Went home from work at 2 due to being very sick. Figured ah well might as well fire up the airbrush and cough into my mask for a bit...

These dudes look great.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Gunder posted:

I always intentionally make my stuff wonky af so I can have them standing on rocks and poo poo. Dune crawlers look best skittering over rubble.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Road to NoVA series is rumbling on. My second post went up today, and a bunch of the other guys have been posting too. Check them out: https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/the-corroad-to-nova-part-2-indecision-abounds/

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

The Road to NoVA series is rumbling on. My second post went up today, and a bunch of the other guys have been posting too. Check them out: https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/the-corroad-to-nova-part-2-indecision-abounds/

That's a good read! I really think that dork elf list is super mean, it's just so hard to deal with all the different threats threats it has, + vect really does significantly neuter/hinder some lists - maybe not the top super competitive ones, but certainly some you might run into (like gsc where you can vect their vect at a really inopportune time or the lying in wait, or the mad bomber strategem, all can be devastating). I love my admech and I think they have a very powerful gunline + melee threats, but they suffer (imo) from not having any really durable, low cost, screening units and being completely dead in the water if something manages to get into the back line. The durkhari lists (both the venom and talos focused ones) also just seem so much more versatile. I didn't see it mentioned, but what is the thought on taking venoms over grotesques? I guess mobility for capping and having the infantry ride in style?

I don't play them, or play against them and maybe it's just my biased intuition, but from what I've seen harlequins are cool as hell, but a run of bad luck will completely sink them, while they'll waltz over most anything if you they good dice rolls. On the plus side, I think most people will consider the talos list as one of the lists you have to be able to beat, where the harlequins are more out of left field. At least that's my impression.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/27/battle-sister-bulletin-part-8-retributors-first-lookgw-homepage-post-4/

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

The Road to NoVA series is rumbling on.

When the last Badcast went up Campbell said he hadn't posted his update because his cat was "sleeping" on his camera equipment. That was a week ago. Someone may have to have a hard conversation about that cat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well.... kitten heels and small boob plates. However nice pose and doesn’t appear to be heavy weapon specific for those two sisters.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

Well.... kitten heels and small boob plates. However nice pose and doesn’t appear to be heavy weapon specific for those two sisters.

I know I'm being pedantic but a kitten heel would be way more cringey, it's not even a high heel. It's a chunky low-heel, which is actually way close to a work boot than a kitten heel. Slightly raised heels are an integral part of boot design, I think.

If I have a problem with them it's their snappable little bird ankles. Think of how thin they must be under the armor, too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm becoming increasingly aware that nothing they do will ever be good enough, but I applaud them for continually making progress.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Agreed. Subtle isn't the same thing as abolished but those proposed models are nice looking and inoffensive. On the heels, GW has earned leeway on the topic of silly footwear given that marines are running around in these things:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Revelation 2-13 posted:

That's a good read! I really think that dork elf list is super mean, it's just so hard to deal with all the different threats threats it has, + vect really does significantly neuter/hinder some lists - maybe not the top super competitive ones, but certainly some you might run into (like gsc where you can vect their vect at a really inopportune time or the lying in wait, or the mad bomber strategem, all can be devastating). I love my admech and I think they have a very powerful gunline + melee threats, but they suffer (imo) from not having any really durable, low cost, screening units and being completely dead in the water if something manages to get into the back line. The durkhari lists (both the venom and talos focused ones) also just seem so much more versatile. I didn't see it mentioned, but what is the thought on taking venoms over grotesques? I guess mobility for capping and having the infantry ride in style?

I don't play them, or play against them and maybe it's just my biased intuition, but from what I've seen harlequins are cool as hell, but a run of bad luck will completely sink them, while they'll waltz over most anything if you they good dice rolls. On the plus side, I think most people will consider the talos list as one of the lists you have to be able to beat, where the harlequins are more out of left field. At least that's my impression.

Thanks! Yeah a prior version of that list got me a 3rd place at a 110-person event previously, so I'm happy that when it works, it works. I've played a ton of games with it by now though so I'm pretty aware of its strengths and weaknesses and the weaknesses concern me, especially in ITC where you can give up so many secondary points from Talos.

In this version, the Venoms are there to give you another dimension. The Grotesques add nothing the Talos aren't already doing, whereas Venoms give you fast objective cappers and an ability to deal with infantry at range which is otherwise a little lacking. They're also useful in the mirror match.

Harlies aren't really a serious contender for me to play at something like NoVA, I just think they're super cool and I wanted an army of them so I bought one. The Skyweaver jetbikes have a lot of application, and something incorporating the Shadowseer, 3x Death Jester, Harlie bikes detachment which people have been using is something I'm strongly interested in. When I can stay mono-faction Drukhari and compete in that category though, it's tempting to avoid soup.

Eifert Posting posted:

When the last Badcast went up Campbell said he hadn't posted his update because his cat was "sleeping" on his camera equipment. That was a week ago. Someone may have to have a hard conversation about that cat.

His cats are still super cute and very much alive and meowing, thankfully.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

Agreed. Subtle isn't the same thing as abolished but those proposed models are nice looking and inoffensive. On the heels, GW has earned leeway on the topic of silly footwear given that marines are running around in these things:

These things look dumber each time I see them.

How have people in here done with the Vanguard Marines? Is there a clear winner from the Shadowspear box?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Maneck posted:

Are those the jump boots from the Super Mario Bros live-action movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheBigAristotle posted:

How have people in here done with the Vanguard Marines? Is there a clear winner from the Shadowspear box?

I came 6th going 2/1 at an rtt last weekend and my suppressors did serious work in all 3 games, they're exactly the sort of unit that the primaris line was lacking.