Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve been listening to the score non stop since it got put on Apple Music. It’s really good!

Rodan’s theme is kinda dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm watching Final Wars right now and man, I forgot how loving insane and metal this flick is. And also hot dam do I love the EDF ship designs.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve been listening to the score non stop since it got put on Apple Music. It’s really good!

Rodan’s theme is kinda dope.

Considering its placement in the score I think Rodans Theme is less a general theme and more the music for his entire first appearance.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/1132921799375613953

The blue carpet atomic breath is genius

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1132999555513872386

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 27, 2019

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Godzilla has the ideal summer body

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeafNote posted:

Considering its placement in the score I think Rodans Theme is less a general theme and more the music for his entire first appearance.

I heard it in a few other places. It’s that WREEEEE WREEEEEEEEEE cue.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A GIANT FLAMING CAAAW CAAAW

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeafNote posted:

I think most people just expect every Godzilla film to be a dramatic allegory for nuclear warfare and such.

We are about 28 films beyond that by this point.

Though even 2014 wasn't a DIRECT allegory, it still had the very good message of "Nukes make things worse stop trying to use nukes you loving assholes"

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

King of the Monsters has a very strong and relevant message for 2019, hell, the rest of human history.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
does the review embargo lift tonight or tomorrow night?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Tekne posted:

A GIANT FLAMING CAAAW CAAAW

Bok bok.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

HannibalBarca posted:

does the review embargo lift tonight or tomorrow night?

RottenTomatoes tweeted a review drop is coming tomorrow (as in , day after Memorial Day)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

King of the Monsters is so good that even the fan trailers are amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUUMAhKw99s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Ifukube's Ghidorah theme ever play? I could see that frantic string section making Legendary Ghidorah scary as gently caress.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I dont think they could afford it

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Ghidorah's Terror isn't in the film, but the theme Bear cooked up for him is creepy and sinister as hell.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Happy Godzilla week, everyone!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Please beat Aladdin. :pray:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/resurrectiongoj/status/1133175745386303489

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

Please beat Aladdin. :pray:

Really discouraging that this is by no means a sure thing. :v:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Who cares about box office, I just hope it's good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Box office means more Godzilla movies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crossposting from the Horror Thread:

Godzilla fans, I come seeking knowledge: which version of the original film do I want to see and is it available on Amazon Digitally? I haven't seen the original in over 10+ years and I can't remember it or which version I saw. I read up that it was recut when it left Japan and had it's aspect ratio messed with and a subtitle added, but then the subtitle was used for all subsequent releases on the original version of the film? Just searching "[urlhttps://www.amazon.com/s?k=godzilla+1954&ref=nb_sb_noss_2]Godzilla 1954[/url]" brings up 3 films; Godzilla, Gojira, Godzilla: King of the Monsters! What the gently caress is what?

With the new film coming out I'm thinking about binging on Godzilla but with 30+ films that's a fuckin' tall order and expensive one at that. Which films are must-watches?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

This one with the Criterion cover should be the original version.

https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Takashi-Shimura/dp/B00ADHR99A/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You want Godzilla, the one with the Criterion cover.

I think the Prime video is just the Japanese version, but the disc version comes with both the original and King of the Monsters.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 28, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

King of the Monsters is the recut American version from 1956, with scenes starring Raymond Burr added, Godzilla/Gojira from 1954 is the original.

s.i.r.e. posted:

With the new film coming out I'm thinking about binging on Godzilla but with 30+ films that's a fuckin' tall order and expensive one at that. Which films are must-watches?

If you want to whittle it down to a "best of" introduction for the main 3 monsters appearing in this movie:

Godzilla/Gojira (1954)
Rodan (1956)
Mothra (1961)
Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster (1964) or its direct sequel Invasion of the Astro-Monster from the following year.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The world was destroyed, but the internet didn't change.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My theater will be changing for Thursday! So I'll get to see it at 2PM on Thursday, and hopefully stick around for the 4-oclock showing after

I'm so excited

I'm also REALLY interested in something, Tek. Do we get any non fighting kaiju moments in the movie? Like, kaiju interacting with each other that isn't strictly about fighting.

Maybe not something like those pictures, but I'm thinking about stuff like the MUTOs, or how Kong saved that one bison.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna try and see it Friday morning.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Yes, you do get a few of those non-combat moments. The titans in this movie absolutely feel like flesh and blood personifications of natural power, but they also come off like unique beings with distinct personalities. I actually think that Gareth getting preoccupied with Star Wars was a blessing with how well Michael realized these guys.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I like 2014 Godzilla but they did take the cock-teasing a bit too far. It's no big deal and doesn't make it a lesser movie or anything like that but it my ideal world it would have had 4 - 6 more minutes of Big G. So I'm glad this new one is going balls-out Monster Mash.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pretty disappointing that the only new Godzilla home re-release is a 4k version of the Emmerich Godzilla. Not even an announcement of a potential Criterion Showa box set.

G'14 was a godsend for bluray releaseses.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I like 2014 Godzilla but they did take the cock-teasing a bit too far. It's no big deal and doesn't make it a lesser movie or anything like that but it my ideal world it would have had 4 - 6 more minutes of Big G. So I'm glad this new one is going balls-out Monster Mash.

My contention is the amount of Godzilla onscreen wouldn’t even have been an issue if the movie was 90 minutes instead of 2 hours but we don’t make 90 minute movies anymore

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Oh boy the review embargo is lifted!

...oh. oh.....

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

Oh boy the review embargo is lifted!

...oh. oh.....

It's a Godzilla movie, did you expect glowing praise?

gently caress film critics.

Roger Ebert gave Gojira 1954 the same loving score as Godzilla 1998

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

These takes where they're complaining that the action is indecipherable has got me confused. The fights are some of the clearest and best scripted kaiju battles yet.

On a spoilery note, I don't think most of these critics even understand why Vera's character is waking the titans. She views human civilization as a cancer that got her son killed in addition to its slow strangulation of the ecosystem. Destroying cities and industry is the point. The few survivors will inherit an Earth that isn't facing climate change or unchecked environmental destruction, as the titans under their control will destroy any attempts to rebuild.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay these reviews are wonky as hell. Like, they're split between "TOO MUCH GODZILLA, NOT ENOUGH HUMANS" (which is a loving odd complaint) or... just straight up dunking on the idea of taking a Godzilla movie seriously, and saying the movie is bad because it tries.

I realize I break out this tinfoil hat a lot, but... anyone else figuring that Disney threw their weight around on this?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uh. No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Be secure in your own judgement and don't trust Internet Critics. We are at a real low point in film criticism.