Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like puzzle games. In fact, I'm wearing a puzzle games shirt:

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/2460799-the-unsolvable

Well, that's the image. My point? Portal and Professor Layton are good puzzle game.

The Witness? Overrated as all gently caress. It's not bad, but it's not special.

Portal on the other hand, especially portal 2? Probably the best puzzle video game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Braid was a great game if you just went into it expecting a fun little platformer which plays around with 'time'. It was probably over-hyped since it was released in the middle of a dearth of PC gaming before just before today's indie bloom, and it definitely had a pretentious 'secret meaning' that the dev was proverbially sniffing his own farts about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Puzzle games are basically free space for whatever dumb symbolism or completely insane plot you like since the story has little to no relation to gameplay.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The witness is good bc it was a decent game that made a whole bunch of games journalists write embarrassing think pieces that made them look like morons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Braid is for people who smoke or people drink like if you drink beer and you get drunk or you smoke weed and you get high and you just... anything, like you just get be gettin' hosed up. It’s about this little guy in a suit and he walkin around. Ain’t no point to the you just walkin around jumpin on poo poo. It look like Mario in the future. And it is Mario with his hair dyed orange and a tie on. He just walkin around jumpin poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Braid is for people who smoke or people drink like if you drink beer and you get drunk or you smoke weed and you get high and you just... anything, like you just get be gettin' hosed up. It’s about this little guy in a suit and he walkin around. Ain’t no point to the you just walkin around jumpin on poo poo. It look like Mario in the future. And it is Mario with his hair dyed orange and a tie on. He just walkin around jumpin poo poo.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
My (I guess) unpopular opinion is that video games attract stupid people with stupid opinions . I can watch and listen to chess, poker, tabletop games podcasts and videos no problem but with videogames it's just 'this game bad' or 'braid looks awful' and so on.

I get why people can hate on Shut Up & Sit Down or So Very Wrong About Games but I can listen to these guys talk about game mechanics all day long. Can't find any equivalent for videogames like that, though. It also feels like all the developers interested in good gameplay moved to board games around late 00s, too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The binding of isaac is the greatest motherfuckung videogame ever made, I'm kinda dumbstruck when people dislike it. The challenge, the mechanics, the breadth and depth, the discovery, its about as good a videogame as I've ever played.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The binding of isaac is the greatest motherfuckung videogame ever made, I'm kinda dumbstruck when people dislike it. The challenge, the mechanics, the breadth and depth, the discovery, its about as good a videogame as I've ever played.

i don't like how you kinda slip and slide around the place

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i don't like how you kinda slip and slide around the place

You've lost me, there are certain things that would cause this effect but its normally obvious like a yellow puddle on the floor, i didn't personally feel the normal controls felt slippery.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Terminally Bored posted:

My (I guess) unpopular opinion is that video games attract stupid people with stupid opinions . I can watch and listen to chess, poker, tabletop games podcasts and videos no problem but with videogames it's just 'this game bad' or 'braid looks awful' and so on.

I get why people can hate on Shut Up & Sit Down or So Very Wrong About Games but I can listen to these guys talk about game mechanics all day long. Can't find any equivalent for videogames like that, though. It also feels like all the developers interested in good gameplay moved to board games around late 00s, too.

ah yes Tom Vasel the height of deep analytic gameplay commentary

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I guess i basically feel like there's too much acceleration and deceleration or something.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's slow, very RNG dependent and the whole mommy issues edgelord aesthetics are awful (it doesn't help that McMillen has only one style in him). Monolith and Nuclear Throne both do roguelite shooter way better.

Rutibex posted:

ah yes Tom Vasel the height of deep analytic gameplay commentary

Vasel is an idiot who never criticises anything.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
imo most of the floatiness from binding of isaac came from it being a literal flash game. i dont know if rebirth feels better or not havent played it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its not slow cmon dude, red dead 2 is a slow game. That's just a ridiculous statement to make. Yes its very random but that's a huge part of the appeal, its never a negative when that RNG gives the game so much breadth and depth.

Yeah the "edgelord style" is a bit grotesque but again im not judging the game on that as much as its mechanics.

I have not played nuclear throne or monolith perhaps ill check them out.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I lolled super hard when I watched my SO put 40 hours into the witness and then the game pisses right in your face when you beat it.

And yes I found out about the "real" ending but she did not care to complete it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its not slow cmon dude, red dead 2 is a slow game. That's just a ridiculous statement to make. Yes its very random but that's a huge part of the appeal, its never a negative when that RNG gives the game so much breadth and depth.

Yeah the "edgelord style" is a bit grotesque but again im not judging the game on that as much as its mechanics.

I have not played nuclear throne or monolith perhaps ill check them out.

Red dead is not a roguelite. Play some other games in the genre, lotsa great stuff there. Faster and better at factoring the rng into gameplay, too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dungeon of the Endless was such a fun game and it's a shame more people didn't know about it. It was a hybrid between a rouge-lite and a tower defense game, with heroes and RPG stats, RNG items, and randomly generated floors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplvDyEQr1M

My only real complaint was that the TF2 DLC characters seemed far more likely to show up on random playthroughs than the base heroes, and moreover they seemed a bit beefier compared to the base heroes, meaning a lot of runs just ended up dominated by Heavy, Engie, or Pryo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Terminally Bored posted:

“braid looks hideous” is perfectly valid criticism, particularly for a game as hideous as braid

if you spend this much time thinking about what people talking about which games to listen to you should get another hobby

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

'if you care about game criticism maybe you should stop playing games' is some galaxy brain reasoning, try 'if you care about literary criticism maybe you should stop reading books'

Thanks for proving my point i guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

caring about game criticism for video games is an inherently vapid pursuit dude, mentioning it in the same breath as literary criticism is your own failing not mine

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"hmmm this is exactly like moby dick" i say as i admire the tightened graphics on level 3

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"why can't i find anyone talking about WHY the princess is in another castle???!?!" i panic as i frantically scroll through thousands of pages of podcasts with zany titles

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I said they don't talk about game mechanics, not the "princess is in another castle" kotaku poo poo. Sorry about your reading disability.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

almost any review on the planet will talk in depth about mechanics, what are you on about? and saying "the graphics are bad" is a valid critique of a game just as "the prose is bad" is a valid critique of a book. you suck, your metaphors suck, and you care a lot about people talking about video games which is very very funny.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The goon consensus on Papers, Please is that it's good and worth it right? I've had it on my list forever but I keep passing it over. I've got some free time coming up this week and I'm looking for something to get me through it.

yes its good. granted there's not a lot of it, but for a $10 game its interesting and pretty unique

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

mind the walrus posted:

Dungeon of the Endless was such a fun game and it's a shame more people didn't know about it. It was a hybrid between a rouge-lite and a tower defense game, with heroes and RPG stats, RNG items, and randomly generated floors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplvDyEQr1M

My only real complaint was that the TF2 DLC characters seemed far more likely to show up on random playthroughs than the base heroes, and moreover they seemed a bit beefier compared to the base heroes, meaning a lot of runs just ended up dominated by Heavy, Engie, or Pryo.

I utterly loathed how it was super-heavy into the tower defense genre, the trailers didn't really emphasize that enough. I'm told unlocks allow different playstyles, but that's far too deep into an unenjoyable game for me.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

almost any review on the planet will talk in depth about mechanics, what are you on about? and saying "the graphics are bad" is a valid critique of a game just as "the prose is bad" is a valid critique of a book. you suck, your metaphors suck, and you care a lot about people talking about video games which is very very funny.

settle down beavis

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

'if you care about game criticism maybe you should stop playing games' is some galaxy brain reasoning, try 'if you care about literary criticism maybe you should stop reading books'

Thanks for proving my point i guess.

Specifically, if you care too much about media criticism then yeah, you should take a break from it and learn how to care less about something that doesn't effect you at all. That's not a controversial opinion

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Terminally Bored posted:

look man i can talk you to death about good mechanics and principles of design but quite frankly it's just quicker to say "jonathan blow... ME!!! wwwwwww"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

why doesn't this gbs thread have the same amount of rigor as a professionally produced podcast? It must be because no one has anything interesting to say about video games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, theres not really anyone looking at games in a consistent manner as one does with other media, most especially film. There isnt a large community discussing mis en scene equivalents or how mechanical choices impact games and can be interwoven except when its a standout use and even then it evaporates.

Like one could do an interesting article on phantom mechanics, things which still operate in games despite the narrative or prompts for their existing ceasing to be, and how this concept is explored to interesting results (brothers) or bad (metroid other m)

Instead most game criticism is either graphical or narrative focused with rare discussions of difficulty.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Which games can you count on your audience having heard of? With movies and popular music, the audience isn't terribly fragmented, but the audience for video games is much less concentrated in the top sellers. That makes criticism at more than a superficial level very hard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Which games can you count on your audience having heard of? With movies and popular music, the audience isn't terribly fragmented, but the audience for video games is much less concentrated in the top sellers. That makes criticism at more than a superficial level very hard.

I mean novels are even more fragmented but theres a heathly community there. Hell for film a lot of people have never seen the film being discussed but the mark of a good critic is conveying why the discussion is worth having even for those not aware of the media.

Plus even if you just stick with the biggest games in the genre you can draw say, the origins of uncharted without ever touching a game more obscure than <checks notes> tomb raider

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think looking more like cinema discusso would be a good thing for this thread to aspire to

Or any thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish top down and isometric games were just as commonplace as 3rd person and first person games. It's a cool way to present a game and it's not dated at all. It's just fallen out of vogue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They still make games using that, quite a lot. From basically the entire lineup of the people who mad bastion as well as other one offs like Ruiner from other devs or the entire RPG overhead renaissance as of late.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I wish there were more good Diablo/GD/POE-like ARPGs to choose from.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want a Diablo style game that isn't all mashy and I have to actually think about what I'm doing. Basically like an evolution of the first game, except the gameplay evolved instead of the prize boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

veni veni veni posted:

I want a Diablo style game that isn't all mashy and I have to actually think about what I'm doing. Basically like an evolution of the first game, except the gameplay evolved instead of the prize boxes.

That's why I like Nioh, and Nioh 2 looks like it's gonna solve pretty much every problem I had with Nioh 1. From the core gameplay having done the whole alpha demo, it's extremely good. They made it so living weapon isn't just a way to cheese bosses, and is more interesting overall. They also refined the movesets and how skill points work, and the bosses themselves feel less like something to puzzle out based on your build, and more like actual fights to learn.