Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
So this is being released soon if you're one of the 15 people with an RTX card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unGtBbhaPeU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All that video has served to do is make me want Serious Sam HD with RTX raytracing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Raytracing is the future of video game graphics. To demonstrate this, here's Quake 2

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Is the guy that did the soundtrack for Sigil Buckethead as in this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

Sigil's soundtrack comprises entirely of absolute bangers. Where should I start with this guy?

Also any updates on Ion Maiden? We're about to close out Q2 and I'm a lil' worried. I'm also hoping for a better arsenal. In one of the recent updates they changed the SMG to fire lava bullets or some such stupid poo poo and it wrecks the feel of the gun. I know some people were iffy about it so I'm hoping they either tweak it or just change it back to a regular ballistic weapon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is the guy that did the soundtrack for Sigil Buckethead as in this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

Sigil's soundtrack comprises entirely of absolute bangers. Where should I start with this guy?
Yeah, Buckethead did the MP3 soundtrack. I wanna say the title screen is a new track recorded for the mod while everything else is taken from his literally hundreds of albums of jamming along to a drum machine.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Also any updates on Ion Maiden? We're about to close out Q2 and I'm a lil' worried.
From one of the devs on Duke4 on May 6th:

quote:

The game is very close to completion. But honestly it's still tight for beta testing, so we probably will push it for the end of Q2.

Another dev posted "News coming soon" on the Steam forums on May 12.

I suspect it'll sneak into next month, because making games is hard.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It was either him or that guy.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Raytracing is the future of video game graphics. To demonstrate this, here's Quake 2

Not that weird, in fact actually quite sensible.
Quake2 is well designed for hardware rendering with its use of static data structures and efficient geometry culling, and its well defined light sources proves quite effective for stacking any kind of lighting implementation on top. Plus it still supports timedemos so it's great for bench testing.

Coupled with it being open source so that everyone can see how it's all implemented, it's pretty much the game for doing tech demos, which is great for RTX because it gives potential developers a working example of how the tech works, and in an engine practically every programmer already should understand.

From a programmers viewpoint, you couldn't ask for a better example, especially as it looks like they have used every ray tracing effect under the sun.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 27, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Artelier posted:

So I've been replaying Doom 2 properly for the first time since I was a kid, with Gzdoom and Beautiful Doom and it was great fun, and am now looking to move on a bit. I did look at the OP in this thread and their linked of recommended mods is a little bit daunting.

So going through the last few pages, I did pick up Final Doomer and Heretical Doom, but haven't really touched them yet, look like fun gameplay mods. Any other gameplay mods to recommend? I also like smooth animations, big sounds, and satisfying gun feel. I did try Brutal Doom a while back and while at first I was into it, I felt like the actual gameplay changes were a bit harsh...

Also any suggestions for maps, like a campaign ala a Doom episode? If possible, nothing too crazy hard please - some of the map packs I was casually browsing through seemed to be designed for people who have been playing for 20+ years. And not too many ambushes please, I absolutely hated the Doom 2 level Monster Closet because it felt like that's all it was, in various forms, over and over again.

Doom the Way id Did and Whispers of Satan are two megawads I'd recommend to people looking for near-vanilla levels of difficulty/enemy numbers. Strange Aeons too, now that I think about it, though I did play with a pretty major gameplay mod (High Noon Drifter) so that might be throwing off my perspective.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rocket Pan posted:

Quake2 is well designed for hardware rendering with its use of static data structures and efficient geometry culling, and its well defined light sources proves quite effective for stacking any kind of lighting implementation on top. Plus it still supports timedemos so it's great for bench testing.

Coupled with it being open source so that everyone can see how it's all implemented, it's pretty much the game for doing tech demos, which is great for RTX because it gives potential developers a working example of how the tech works, and in an engine practically every programmer already should understand.

From a programmers viewpoint, you couldn't ask for a better example, especially as it looks like they have used every ray tracing effect under the sun.

I agree with you, but to the everyday game-playing person who doesn't understand geometry culling or light sources it looks odd. People generally expect the latest tech in the latest games. Not for the first time I have seen people ask elsewhere why they are using decades-old games to demonstrate RTX and not something like the latest Call of Duty or Doom.

We nerds all know that it's obviously because we literally just don't have the hardware for it yet and won't do for another decade. But you try explaining that to Bob who thinks the PS5 is going to have ray traced 4K60 Skyrim 2.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I recommend Trailblazer especially for those big crazy rear end slaughtermaps. Makes them actually fun to play. Cool upgrades for your guns and etc.

If you like Wolf3D and feel like killing some nazi fucks, try Bratwurst. You can use it with any weapon mod.

I particularly like playing them with Nashgore. More blood without lagging the game, unlike the recent versions of the Ketchup mod.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

I particularly like playing them with Nashgore. More blood without lagging the game, unlike the recent versions of the Ketchup mod.
Nashgore was made by someone with something resembling programming chops, so it runs more efficiently and works with all monsters, not just ones modified to work with it like with Ketchup, meaning it plays nicer with monster packs like Bratwurst.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Trailblazer and Guncaster are both big, dumb, overpowered fun. Guncaster has the best-feeling revolver in any FPS I've ever played, too.

Also, GMOTA is loving fantastic and BulletEye is quite enjoyable.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rocket Pan posted:

It’s also pretty loving impressive to make Q2 of all things look that good.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I agree with you, but to the everyday game-playing person who doesn't understand geometry culling or light sources it looks odd. People generally expect the latest tech in the latest games. Not for the first time I have seen people ask elsewhere why they are using decades-old games to demonstrate RTX and not something like the latest Call of Duty or Doom.

We nerds all know that it's obviously because we literally just don't have the hardware for it yet and won't do for another decade. But you try explaining that to Bob who thinks the PS5 is going to have ray traced 4K60 Skyrim 2.

I can’t check right now but I think the last time I checked the tech guys were saying geometric complexity/texture size/light source numbers etc (all the traditional metrics for rendering difficulty) were much, much smaller factors in path tracing performance than ray/bounce count. I guess because anything that doesn’t intersect a ray/path is implicitly culled?

Which gives me some hope that it’ll mature a little faster than that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/ancestor-bundle

$1.99 for System Shock 1, System Shock 2, Strife

oh and some other crap

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Love to promote cutting-edge real-time graphics tech by starting my video with a pre-rendered CGI cutscene from 1997

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ME: weird to show off raytracing tech with quake 2
YOU: [long technical explanation of why it makes sense]
ME: no what I meant is that other people think it's weird. Not me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

It also works very well for things like this because you can make dramatic screenshots of before/after, like in Minecraft's case. In modern games like Metro Exodus, the non-RT lightning solution is so good that there is less of a gap between it and the RT version.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

HolyKrap posted:

This is way too bright and looks like crap.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love to see that they're using Quake 2 to show off RTX. If I ever get a RTX capable card I'll replay Quake 2 with that poo poo but I really want to see RTX on Unreal.

Zero Master with Sigil speedrunning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06L8i4biS8c

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

HolyKrap posted:

Thanks for this! This looks amazing! I'll definitely test this out next week.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

That looks way better with palletted/software rendering than it did in that Gman video. The Doom palette lighting ramp has a desaturating effect that's super important to the way the environments read, especially in low light. I've found that without a lot of tweaking, GZDoom's lighting looks extremely dull and flat and it becomes hard to see any contrast at all in low light.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

HolyKrap posted:

This is pretty drat awesome, but on their website they have some side by side shots. My complaint is that they replaced some textures which look worse than the originals. Too bad I don't have an rtx card though. I basically cut my teeth on quake 2 and would like to replay it with that renderer. I think raytracing may show off some of the cooler map design / architecture in quake 2.

Carecat posted:

This is way too bright and looks like crap.

I do agree with this. The original video they showed a while back looked better. It kills some of the mood of the levels. Like,
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-on-vs-off.html
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-on-vs-off.html

It reminds me of NPRQuake in that by changing the renderer in some way you can really see the detail they put into Quake 1 maps. Its cool to run through the single player levels with 'sketchy' version and get inspired to make quake maps.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 27, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Volte posted:

That looks way better with palletted/software rendering than it did in that Gman video. The Doom palette lighting ramp has a desaturating effect that's super important to the way the environments read, especially in low light. I've found that without a lot of tweaking, GZDoom's lighting looks extremely dull and flat and it becomes hard to see any contrast at all in low light.

I use GZDoom but I tend to disable the eye candy and leave it as "software looking" as I can while of course retaining widescreen resolution and higher FoV than vanilla. I do the same with Quake and while I like Quake HD and stuff like that for a change, I'll always love the look of good old chunky pixels and non-blurry textures.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HolyKrap posted:

What REALLY bugs me is that I just played through Quak2 for the very first time about a month ago. I must be the only man on earth to have left it so long, and so any remaster efforts raise zero interest nor nostalgia for me. I wouldn't mind a Quake2: Part 2, however. Quake4 (iirc, played it years ago) didn't quite have the same open level puzzle solving feel that made playing old fps great.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Everyone should play through System Shock 1 at least once with the original control scheme. It's not nearly as convoluted as people say it is, "oh man I need an extra hand" no you just need some minor dexterity in your digits. :colbert::colbert::colbert:

Maybe I should record a vid of me playing effortlessly to prove it. (when you're a loser like me with no actual skills you brag about playing SS1 with the original control scheme)

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

any live performance from 2019 on youtube that has good quality recording is a good start to the core buckethead experience. There are earlier recordings with good quality, it's just there's so many of them with lower quality.

Probably the standard core buckethead album is Crime Slunk Scene; a lot of these songs are part of his live performance — usually the live performance is better.

kaleedity's favorites that sound like buckethead are Pepper's Ghost, Albino Slug, The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock, Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot

Albums that are a little different but also very good are Population Override, Electric Sea, Electric Tears, Shadows Between the Sky

The Pike albums are 30m jaunts into what I can best describe as the guitarist locking himself in a studio with a drum machine. There are pikes that are like, ambient background noise for 30m, and there are pikes like #42 or #100 that are pretty well orchestrated. That's avoiding mention most of the pikes referenced in the sigil soundtrack, which were very good choices imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A lot of people know of or first learned about Buckethead from right here back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGDw2t9bI6U

But most of his music is not really like this. Dude's got variety.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HolyKrap posted:

$1200 for a card and the most fully-realized RTX game is QUAKE 2. I think they cranked up the shininess too much to show off the effect and went too far in the direction of a UE4 remake.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Volte posted:

It's not like this thread needed any more validation that GGGGGGman is trash, but that speed run made the level design look pretty drat awesome. Nothing was hard to see and nothing seemed too unfair. Now someone needs to do a UV-Max run :getin:

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
I hope you can play it with just the RTX effects and without the crappy new models and shiny "HD" textures.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I finished Hurt. It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes being careful, kiting enemies, backtracking on the first third to get ammo... Jesus, the end was just an insane bullet hell and the "boss" was bullshit. Map design is amazing but the stupid amount of enemies and "traps" ends being annoying as hell.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CJacobs posted:

A lot of people know of or first learned about Buckethead from right here back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGDw2t9bI6U

But most of his music is not really like this. Dude's got variety.

I thought for sure you were going to link to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTMaEhYGVE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HolyKrap posted:

Came here to post this. Its... weird. Its definitely pretty crazy good looking, better than most mods that attempt to improve textures or add better lighting. It looks really wild, the lighting does look very good.

However, its still Quake 2, so its weird. Everything feels off, because I know how Quake 2 should look. But I don't hate this.

Only 3 levels though, so that's kinda :jerkbag: Make a full Quake 2 RTX and that'd be legit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Lol, pretty much. And ironically we've been able to ray-trace older games for years. Its ray-tracing modern games with equivalent performance that isn't doable, and still isn't doable, so we continue to use raster.

That said, RTX is a pretty cool hybrid solution for ray-traced global illumination while raster rendering everything else. I blew it off originally, but after seeing more... I kinda don't hate the concept. I think it may go places, if Nvidia can get enough game support. That's a big if. though.

Fallom posted:

$1200 for a card and the most fully-realized RTX game is QUAKE 2. I think they cranked up the shininess too much to show off the effect and went too far in the direction of a UE4 remake.

Uh, its not though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms7d-3Dprio

Battlefield 5 and Metro Exodus are both brand new games and support RTX, and the results are legit impressive and performance is reasonable. Its not just a full ray-tracing solution, its a hybrid solution which is fairly smart.

E: BF5 only uses it for reflections which is far less impressive. So we'll see how game support goes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 27, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that q2 vid is both visually impressive and strange to look at because its so bright it completely changes the look of the game. looks more like a serious sam game now

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PSA If you use BeautifulDoom, please turn off this option

It was decreasing my fps by up to 10-20 fps in big maps. For just 2-3 particles above some lights, even in rooms where there is no lights...

PSA 2: alternatively, just don't use BeautifulDoom because even with all the options of f/x turned off, improved monster sprites disabled and weapons sprites disabled, I noticed you lose up to 6-10 fps just to have it on your mod list. Great optimization!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 27, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

I finished Hurt. It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes being careful, kiting enemies, backtracking on the first third to get ammo... Jesus, the end was just an insane bullet hell and the "boss" was bullshit. Map design is amazing but the stupid amount of enemies and "traps" ends being annoying as hell.

I'll say it again:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/105581-verdant-citadel/
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/105942-hell-forged-09b-alpha-test-help-needed/

Just as visually impressive, but a lot more enjoyable. Less taxing on your hardware too.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Came here to post this. Its... weird. Its definitely pretty crazy good looking, better than most mods that attempt to improve textures or add better lighting. It looks really wild, the lighting does look very good.

However, its still Quake 2, so its weird. Everything feels off, because I know how Quake 2 should look. But I don't hate this.

Only 3 levels though, so that's kinda :jerkbag: Make a full Quake 2 RTX and that'd be legit.

It is full quake 2 if you own the game, otherwise you only get the demo levels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mischievous Mink posted:

It is full quake 2 if you own the game, otherwise you only get the demo levels.

Oh, that's cool. It made it sound like that was only the case for multiplayer, and that even if you owned the full game you wouldn't get it all with RTX support.

It depends upon if its just a shader change or if they have to actually modify the levels...

quote:

If you have a GeForce RTX graphics card, or other capable hardware, you can experience the first 3 levels of the game for free, fully remastered with path-traced graphics and a variety of other enhancements. And if you own a copy of Quake II, you can play the campaign in its entirety, and play against others in online multiplayer.

Okay that's much better. The article I read misrepresented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Negrostrike posted:

I recommend Trailblazer especially for those big crazy rear end slaughtermaps. Makes them actually fun to play. Cool upgrades for your guns and etc.

If you like Wolf3D and feel like killing some nazi fucks, try Bratwurst. You can use it with any weapon mod.

The Kins posted:

Nashgore was made by someone with something resembling programming chops, so it runs more efficiently and works with all monsters, not just ones modified to work with it like with Ketchup, meaning it plays nicer with monster packs like Bratwurst.

Nashgore is eternal