Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Fellblade posted:

I would say that gave in is a really bad way to phrase it.

It takes a good character to admit you may have been wrong and move on to be positive and productive so good job Johan.

It was only in a literal sense, didn't mean it negatively. I appreciate the position he's in, and acting on this feedback when he's passionate about his own game and designs can't be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

This is a stunning but interesting development! Patch will be more fun than I thought :)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This kind of stuff is why I trust paradox: game got a lot of criticism, and in response they are redoing a lot of systems. Like they did in Stellaris and many times before. They wont abandon their games and they do listen to criticism

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I really hope we don't get "send your <member of government> over to <country> for a while" mechanic for fabricating claims, because that's probably the only thing which would be even less interesting than just exchanging currency for claims but it seems bizarrely popular with some vocal people on the official forums

Also with monarch points to be removed there needs to be mechanics which make your leader's stats important again otherwise you just don't give a gently caress

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Good move. I always imagined monarch power in EU4 as a sort of abstraction of political influence anyway so it doesn't make much sense to separate it in the way they do in EU4/Imperator. Having it based on the loyalty of your cabinet is a great idea.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Wild. Brave move Johan, interested to see how this all shakes out.

RabidWeasel posted:

I really hope we don't get "send your <member of government> over to <country> for a while" mechanic for fabricating claims

Heck yeah bring on some diplomats please.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I really hope we don't get "send your <member of government> over to <country> for a while" mechanic for fabricating claims, because that's probably the only thing which would be even less interesting than just exchanging currency for claims but it seems bizarrely popular with some vocal people on the official forums

Also with monarch points to be removed there needs to be mechanics which make your leader's stats important again otherwise you just don't give a gently caress

Agreed on the first part, although I hope "claims" get replaced entirely by one or more mechanics. Like republics having to justify wars, culture-specific casus belli, etc. Ideally declaring war just mostly cause diplomatic issues, not stability hits.

On the second part, I think toning down the impact of leader stats is a good thing. I think it makes for a better game if the modifiers are relatively minor, and mostly relevant for the extreme values. It's probably the thing about EU4 that annoys me the most - an below-average statline vs an above-average statline makes too big of a difference for my taste.

Having exceptional stats affect events and diplomacy is preferable to leaders applying a global bonus or malus on important stats like some kind of supernatural being. If the consul has poor military skill that is not a problem now, but it might be when he's done with his term and demands command of legion. Make the natural interaction between stats and mechanics the driving force behind their importance rather than turning attributes into nation-affecting superpowers.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Very surprising.

I am now afraid of Imperator going Stellaris way. The constant change of mechanics without proper balancing and teaching AI to use them. No doubt this change itself will be popular as it all will look more simulationist. And I like various powers system, so I'm a little afraid that switching to a limited number of resources and making gold much more important will not result in a more interesting game.

Strange that it's coming so soon. They really listen to vox populi. And it sounds like it's all coming in the first patch too. So we get 2.5 years of Stellaris change condensed in a couple of months.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I also wish stellaris had just stayed bad instead of you needing to learn new things.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

This honestly sounds like a really good approach to reworking the game. Tentatively optimistic (again!) that Paradox pushes this in the right direction.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm glad Johan calmed down and listened to the constructive feedback. Considering his initial opinion on the game's quality that must have been difficult for him.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
drat I wasn't expecting that at all. I was never super anti-mana but the new systems he's describing do sound a lot more natural, really looking forward to this patch.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Senor Dog posted:

Yeah I also wish stellaris had just stayed bad instead of you needing to learn new things.

It's still bad but in a fresh way. Now you have one designer trying to rewrite a design of an original designer but leaving a lot of atavisms. Now that it's directed by yet another guy it will probably become even more bizzare.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Some weird choices have been made during stellaris' development process, but any iteration of stellaris has a leg up on imperator in that they were actually fun to play

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Some weird choices have been made during stellaris' development process, but any iteration of stellaris has a leg up on imperator in that they were actually fun to play

Any?

Did you play the original release? It’s the most boring game to ever have been conceived

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ilitarist posted:

It's still bad but in a fresh way. Now you have one designer trying to rewrite a design of an original designer but leaving a lot of atavisms. Now that it's directed by yet another guy it will probably become even more bizzare.

Lmao

Ham posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-new-currency-design.1181893/

Johan gave in:

- Monarch power is gone, to be replaced by 'political influence' a currency based on your cabinet and their loyalty.
- Converting and moving pops remains a one-time action since they can't re-balance it for the new system in time for 1.1
- Money, aggressive expansion, stability and legitimacy will play a much bigger role in government/character actions to account for the removal of monarch power.

Doesn't really cover what this means for character stats, especially ruler ones.

I think its a good sign that they are so willing to redesign everything but I hope that we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 26, 2019

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

CharlestheHammer posted:

Any?

Did you play the original release? It’s the most boring game to ever have been conceived

Yeah, played on launch and liked it quite a bit, warts and all. Obviously it improved tremendously in the next few patches but it was still a good time until it wasn't

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I am looking forward to playing Imperator 1.1 :)

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow did not expect that. The changes do sound pretty cool though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

drat, as always, glad that I haven't bought it at release.

I think Paradox should try a new scheme for these games. Like, instead of an open commercial release, some sort of "community release" first where the game is launched towards the usual fans who can tinker with, bash, bend, stretch and make excel spreadsheets detailing how much of a thing is bad in a thousand different ways and thus facilitate the inevitable iteration process. As it is, it just makes me wonder (big emphasis on the "personally" here) why pick it up on release or early in the long-term development process?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Like, instead of an open commercial release, some sort of "community release" first where the game is launched towards the usual fans who can tinker with, bash, bend, stretch and make excel spreadsheets detailing how much of a thing is bad in a thousand different ways

uh isn't that the only kind of person who plays these games in the first place? who would be the target audience of "actual" release?

im pretty sure the handful of us who know about the games but are too lazy, at this point, to gently caress around with their innards and want to wait a year until the community fixes it are not a sizeable group and probably signifigantly smaller than the initial "community" audience

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

drat, as always, glad that I haven't bought it at release.

I think Paradox should try a new scheme for these games. Like, instead of an open commercial release, some sort of "community release" first where the game is launched towards the usual fans who can tinker with, bash, bend, stretch and make excel spreadsheets detailing how much of a thing is bad in a thousand different ways and thus facilitate the inevitable iteration process. As it is, it just makes me wonder (big emphasis on the "personally" here) why pick it up on release or early in the long-term development process?

There was a beta that they took signups for at PDXCon, but for whatever reason they skipped the chance to have me tell them that their supposedly developed-through-multiplayer game could really use things like chat or a lobby

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

As it is, it just makes me wonder (big emphasis on the "personally" here) why pick it up on release or early in the long-term development process?

To play it earlier and before you have to spend hundreds of cash on dlc?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-27th-of-may-2019.1182179/

Dev diary

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

holy poo poo, plots?!

having character events pop up more often is a Good thing, I realized there were some hidden mechanics at work in the court but I think I barely saw character events except some counselors doing stupid poo poo like cheating on their wives and forcing me to have them flogged or whatever.

Combined with trials, the new stability system and doing away with monarch points it all definitely points to a more CK2-like system which could be a Very Good thing. Time will tell :) and awesome to see they're ready to tear down and rebuild if needed like with Stellaris, kudos :)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I don’t really like the way imperator has done character events. Especially the ones with an absurdly long list of consequences or just a choose which of these 2people get pissed off thing are not fun. They’re more like the eu4 estate events which I also really don’t like. I really hope it’s not just more of that for 1.1.

I also wouldn’t mind if they stopped happening while I’m trying to move my armies around at war. That poo poo is so annoying

E: while I’m griping, I hate the family management stuff in ck2 and wish there was a way to ignore it in imperator. At least the education part isn’t in yet

feller fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 27, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I feel sorta vindicated in beliving that the UI is at least 75% of the problem given that these events did exist but no one ever actually saw them occuring because the game never told you about them.

How many more mechanics that are totally reasonable are being let down by the interface?

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Will paradox add more jobs, and lower the wages next patch?
The amount of scorned families are doubling every century... and i can't afford more jobs anyway..

Just thinking openly, Didn't Caesar control more then one legion, more like 10?
How about adding some sort of HOI command structure to the UI, like Caesar as Field Marshall/Imperator?, controlling max legions/fleets equal to his martial skill under his command with associated general.
Giving each legion the martial skill of the general + half of the Marshall.

Same with Regions, you could have a Region governor giving bonuses, ruling over provinces with statesmen, and with local legions with associated generals attached.

Suddenly, you'll have a lot more flavor, and easier to figure out and understandable friendships and rivalries.

The amount of cities on the map favors alot of small armies with one or two main armies hunting down resistance.
Having hordes of small armies without command seems silly. and you can't afford to attach a general to them, cause the wages will bankrupt the state.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Descar posted:

Will paradox add more jobs, and lower the wages next patch?
The amount of scorned families are doubling every century... and i can't afford more jobs anyway..

Just thinking openly, Didn't Caesar control more then one legion, more like 10?
How about adding some sort of HOI command structure to the UI, like Caesar as Field Marshall/Imperator?, controlling max legions/fleets equal to his martial skill under his command with associated general.
Giving each legion the martial skill of the general + half of the Marshall.

Same with Regions, you could have a Region governor giving bonuses, ruling over provinces with statesmen, and with local legions with associated generals attached.

Suddenly, you'll have a lot more flavor, and easier to figure out and understandable friendships and rivalries.

The amount of cities on the map favors alot of small armies with one or two main armies hunting down resistance.
Having hordes of small armies without command seems silly. and you can't afford to attach a general to them, cause the wages will bankrupt the state.

I think Caesar had 4 legions from his governorship and raised 2-4 more out of his own pocket. In a sense this is represented by the legions easily being far larger than actual post-Marian legions that were ~5000 strong (incl. support personnel, but excluding attached auxilia which could be on par with the legion proper).

I agree that salary for generals is a bit out of hand during some phases of the game. Historically they vacuumed up a big portion of the loot from winning the war, but they weren't a significant recurrent expense. If combined with your suggestion it would provide a nice trade-off from limiting the number of generals, in that the ones you do have will get a lot of personal wealth, which could become a problem.

As for jobs, I think a good solution is the one used by TW:3K where you promote someone at a permanent salary cost and a one one-time fee. Rome had tons of obscure offices, and representing them all would be mess. Being able to just assign "generic office better than what you had" is a good compromise. Especially if removing the increased in salary is non-trivial (in TW:3K you have to completely remove the character from your employ), and thus handing out offfices willy-nilly to secure loyalty comes at a long-term hit to the economy.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hot take;

i think it's bad that (johan) had a kneejerk reaction over the mana criticism and instead of going "hmmm maybe it really is used for literally loving everything with no way for the player to actually manipulate their income for it unlike EU4, making it just a random time gate" just ripped it entirely out

maybe the changes will work but i am starting to suspect imperator is actually a well made game with bad design. . .

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Any game with Imperators UI shouldnt necessarily be called well made.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Didn't see this posted yet

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Their continuing insistence on using only white marble instead of the historically accurate gaudy painted marble is the real reason I:R continues to fail :colbert:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Rynoto posted:

Their continuing insistence on using only white marble instead of the historically accurate gaudy painted marble is the real reason I:R continues to fail :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I doubt they had initially planned on waiting a year to release the first DLC. Looks like they're committed to getting the game to a state they're happy with before selling DLC, which I can appreciate.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I dunno if Q4 2019 is really a year from release :v:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dear sir, we prefer not to use the D-word now. It's "content pack" and "expansion" here.

I guess Paradox is tired from being called Train Simulator of Strategy Games because of its DLC policy, so they clearly label their purchasable content.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like the very specific distinction between "dumb DLC for whales" and "good DLC for people who just want More Game" please don't denigrate it.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
What’s a good starting country to get into the basic mechanics of this game? I played the tutorial of Rome but I don’t want to have my first real Rome game until I can get it with two consuls. Maybe something like Macedon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Democrazy posted:

What’s a good starting country to get into the basic mechanics of this game? I played the tutorial of Rome but I don’t want to have my first real Rome game until I can get it with two consuls. Maybe something like Macedon?

Macedon is a good choice