Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Lol Disney hasn’t damaged Star Wars at all it’s still far and away the most valuable franchise in any media

Pokemon destroys Star Wars (and anything else) when it comes to valuable franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rhgr posted:

I think it will be good and EA will get out of the way and let them do whatever, simply because if Respawn drop the ball, Disney are going to give the Star Wars license to someone else to make boatloads of money with. EA won't be able to spin that in any positive way to their shareholders.

Disney so far hasn't said jack poo poo about both Battlefronts being gigantic controversial profit bombs. I doubt a lovely single player game is gonna make them undo a deal with EA when they can't seem to make profit from their several billion dollar franchise anywhere reliably. Now, if EA fails to pay them their stipend for the franchise however, that's probably gonna make Disney pull out more than mediocre order.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’m at Hollywood Studios in Disneyworld right now and the new Star Wars area they’re building is loving massive and its going to make them infinity dollars. I’m sure they’re not too worried about the Rotten Tomatoes rating of their new SW movies considering the live action/CGI remake movies they keep making GBS threads out for easy cash.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah the whole Iger thing was just because of the optics of a Disney IP making headlines with 'gambling controversy' and the like. The quality of the games haven't mattered in decades, they just don't want a backlash from concerned parents and people who grew up with the originals suddenly seeing a link between Star Wars and gambling, which is what was happening with Battlefront

People forget that for many years across many developers Star Wars games have been pretty loving poo poo with a few notable exceptions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars sucks and I wish it would die already. People need to care about something actually interesting.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Do you still want a remake of Dune video games?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Crabtree posted:

Put the monkey’s paw down, please.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leave Dune alone. You have your 80s movie and you're going to keep enjoying it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Disney so far hasn't said jack poo poo about both Battlefronts being gigantic controversial profit bombs. I doubt a lovely single player game is gonna make them undo a deal with EA when they can't seem to make profit from their several billion dollar franchise anywhere reliably. Now, if EA fails to pay them their stipend for the franchise however, that's probably gonna make Disney pull out more than mediocre order.

The question is if Disney gets a per sales cut or just a lump sum. I assume they get some % of sales, in which case they’d be kinda annoyed with EA not actually using the license. I’m sure Ubisoft would be happy to churn out stuff with assassin’s creed frequency.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

I said come in! posted:

Star Wars sucks and I wish it would die already. People need to care about something actually interesting.

Bury the past. Kill it if you have to.

[Disney voice] next one has skywalker in the title

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Bury the past. Kill it if you have to.

[Disney voice] next one has skywalker in the title

“Wow a lot of people on the internet really hate our stuff now, what do we do to ensure everyone at least buys a ticket?”
*looks up the most popular Star Wars reddit*
*adds the emperor’s laugh to the trailer*
“Brilliant!”

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

There are exactly two good studios left working for EA: respawn and criterion

Criterion are currently being shuffled around adding game modes to other big titles but with Bioware’s implosion and current lack of quality EA titles I’d expect them to receive a battlefield promotion soon (no pun intended)

Respawn are the current golden child so everyone start taking bets now on how long until EA sucks as much shareholder value out of them as possible before shuttering their desiccated corpse of a studio

Isn't Criterion mostly working on Madden or Ea Sports games?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
been playing anthem after getting it for store credit. its alright. there are some fun concepts and the core gameplay is fun enough and some of the visual designs are cool but the writing is meh at best and for every interesting world idea like the SCARRS basicaly being Oogie Boogie in scrap metal armor but the rest feels either generic or dumb.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
we got a live one boys :siren:

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I’m surprised someone actually plays this game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

we got a live one boys :siren:

i was bored and had a ton of pawnstop credit. i also bought like 4 other good games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

geonetix posted:

I’m surprised someone actually plays this game

outside me. i don't think anyone is. i never found a match to connect too so i just do private.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

been playing anthem after getting it for store credit. its alright. there are some fun concepts and the core gameplay is fun enough and some of the visual designs are cool but the writing is meh at best and for every interesting world idea like the SCARRS basicaly being Oogie Boogie in scrap metal armor but the rest feels either generic or dumb.

I mean this is definitely the take everyone does at first

there's some diamonds in that turd but all the bioware devs that gave a poo poo either died or moved before the game came out

EA, give the idea to a good studio please

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Do you guys know about the development of Final Fantasy XIV (the newest Final Fantasy MMO)? I just watched a documentary about this yesterday and I thought it was funny how exactly the first (failed) iteration matches with Anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

Here's a quick recap if anybody is interested but doesn't want to spend 2 hours watching YouTube. They:

* didn't look at what their competition was doing
* were overconfident because of their previous well-received games
* had a hard time producing content because of bad internal tools

This resulted in a horrible, buggy, bad game with very little content. Nobody liked it. But then after release, their response to the critical reception couldn't have been more different from Anthem. They:

* apologized like hell, actually made it look like they were ashamed of what they had released
* replaced the leadership of the dev team and restructured the team overall
* instantly started banging out patches to get the base game at least playable
* rewrote the whole loving game from scratch as "A Realm Reborn" (they even incorporated the destruction of the 1.0 world into the storyline of the game)

The rewrite was well received and the game has now been very successful for years, apparently even gaining popularity every year (which is quite rare for MMO games).

BioWare should really learn from Square Enix.

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 27, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

I mean this is definitely the take everyone does at first

there's some diamonds in that turd but all the bioware devs that gave a poo poo either died or moved before the game came out

EA, give the idea to a good studio please

oh i am sure i will hate it soon enough. the division 2 kicks the living poo poo out of this game on almost every level.

sunaurus posted:

Do you guys know about the development of Final Fantasy XIV (the newest Final Fantasy MMO)? I just watched a documentary about this yesterday and I thought it was funny how exactly the first (failed) iteration matches with Anthem.

Here's a quick recap if anybody is interested but doesn't want to spend 2 hours watching YouTube. They:

But then, their response to the critical reception couldn't have been more different from Anthem. They:

* apologized like hell, actually made it look like they were ashamed of what they had released
* rewrote the whole loving game from scratch as "A Realm Reborn" (they even incorporated the destruction of the 1.0 world into the storyline of the game)

i need to play that game someday. id say bioware suffered from the same issues plus a bunch of others ones. they got cocky because "bioware magic" worked for inquestion.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

sunaurus posted:

This resulted in a horrible, buggy, bad game with very little content. Nobody liked it. But then after release, their response to the critical reception couldn't have been more different from Anthem. They:

I heard all the hype for that game and I remember they also made a decent sale for a realm reborn, so I got it. It's probably a good game for the enthusiasts but drat I didn't last 30 minutes playing it before deciding it was not for me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crabtree posted:

Battlefield: Arrakis

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

sunaurus posted:

The rewrite was well received and the game has now been very successful for years, apparently even gaining popularity every year (which is quite rare for MMO games).

Final Fantasy is for nerds

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I didn’t read a single word of that FF poo poo

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
A good mmo is still a mmo. And ff14 2s rework is the exception that proves the rule of "you aren't getting the mountains of cash to start from scratch for a few more years after loving up horrifically".

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
The main story of the game is basically a visual novel with no voice acting, and every other character in the game has cat ears, but if you're into stuff like that then it's not a bad game I guess.

I just thought it was interesting how a similar thing had happened to another game and how they recovered.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If Anthem somehow manages to become something worth playing (and the team here does not exactly have a good track record), it would actually be worse. Because it would further establish to the large players in the industry that they can release a prettied-up alpha as a full “game.” Instead of paying play testers and the like to help refine their game, they can sell it for full price and have their customers play test it.

Then they can come back and actually develop a game on top of what worked, and make money again. Basically, you’re paying EA for the privilege of doing work that they would have otherwise had to pay for.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bioware doesn't have the resources to do what FFXIV did, nor does it have the testicular fortitude to sack the executives that mismanaged the production. SE fired a lot of the executive staff that worked on the game, replaced them with fresh blood and gave them 3 years of unfettered production time to unfuck the game (or basically make a new one cause thats what ARR is)

Everyone knows Yoshi P. He was basically put at the top spot in FFXIV because he was the only person in SE that had any directorial experience that also liked MMOs. His previous experience directing were some dragon quest card games for arcades and wii. He still works on the game as the director/producer, but he's also the general manager for an entire development division that includes all their MMOs and an upcoming next gen game. Their head lore guy Koji Fox, worked as a game tester before being promoted to translator and he's now in charge of managing all the translation teams for the game. He does a better job than basically all other MMO/GAAS titles at keeping stories and lore consistent and the lore books they push out sometimes get sold out almost immediately after being put up on preorder. The composer, Soken, mostly worked on DS sports games before being given the job on FFXIV and everyone loving loves his music now.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

It is by lootbox alone I set my game in motion.
It is by the credit card of sapho that I acquire guns, the guns aquire skins, and the skins become a warning. It is by lootbox alone I set my game in motion.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Isn't Criterion mostly working on Madden or Ea Sports games?

I’m sure they are but the big recent things that they’ve attached their names to are Battlefront 2 (they did all the starfighter stuff, which was far and away the best part of the game) and Battlefield V (specifically the Battle Royale mode that is shockingly functional considering :dice: and frostbite)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It is by the credit card of sapho that I acquire guns, the guns aquire skins, and the skins become a warning. It is by lootbox alone I set my game in motion.

This is top tier Dune memes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

:golfclap:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gradenko_2000 posted:

But you can only play as the Saudarkar because the fremen will remind people of the Taliban and the army will pull the game from being sold on bases.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

But you can only play as the Saudarkar because the fremen will remind people of the Taliban and the army will pull the game from being sold on bases.

no the fremen are white, it's okay

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

drkeiscool posted:

? The fremen are arab-descended.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Final Fantasy is for nerds

so what's your main in XIV??????

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

drkeiscool posted:

no they just got a white savior

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sunaurus posted:

I mentioned it a while back, but the only reason SE sunk as much money and time as they did into ARR was because the only alternative was to abandon the game and catastrophically damage the one brand that had kept them afloat through years of dire financial uncertainty. It's fair to say that FFXIV failing to recover likely would've shuttered the studio, or at least forced another desperate merger. Anthem, by comparison, is a brand new IP that no one cares about, from a studio that's merely a part of a vastly larger corporate structure that could eat the entire loss of Anthem's development costs and barely notice.

The far more likely scenario is that Bioware once again forces a skeleton crew of employees into crunch to push through whatever content's already in the pipeline while everyone else is shifted over to DA4, and they try to squeeze as much blood from the Anthem stone with what they've got before setting it into maintenance mode and unceremoniously abandoning it. Even if they did pour an ungodly amount of money back into the game and gave it a complete ARR overhaul, there's no guarantee they'd ever see a dime of their second investment back. You might get people to go and give a Final Fantasy game another try, but Anthem?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

I mentioned it a while back, but the only reason SE sunk as much money and time as they did into ARR was because the only alternative was to abandon the game and catastrophically damage the one brand that had kept them afloat through years of dire financial uncertainty. It's fair to say that FFXIV failing to recover likely would've shuttered the studio, or at least forced another desperate merger. Anthem, by comparison, is a brand new IP that no one cares about, from a studio that's merely a part of a vastly larger corporate structure that could eat the entire loss of Anthem's development costs and barely notice.

The far more likely scenario is that Bioware once again forces a skeleton crew of employees into crunch to push through whatever content's already in the pipeline while everyone else is shifted over to DA4, and they try to squeeze as much blood from the Anthem stone with what they've got before setting it into maintenance mode and unceremoniously abandoning it. Even if they did pour an ungodly amount of money back into the game and gave it a complete ARR overhaul, there's no guarantee they'd ever see a dime of their second investment back. You might get people to go and give a Final Fantasy game another try, but Anthem?

Its also important to point out that FFXIV 1.0 had constant updates under the new management team that demonstrated movement in the right direction and advanced a story culminating in a meteor impacting.

This is what you experienced if you were logged in when FFXIV 1.0 shut down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEg8kXmifo&t=272s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

hobbesmaster posted:

Its also important to point out that FFXIV 1.0 had constant updates under the new management team that demonstrated movement in the right direction and advanced a story culminating in a meteor impacting.

That's no meteor, that's a ...space...dragon?