Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Well if it's not Victoria 3 like that article this morning said, I don't know what the gently caress they could be possibly trying to release.

Whatever it is it will be barebones as hell and require years of updates before it's playable. :v:

My best guesses based only on "there's potential for a great game there which would be substantially different from existing Paradox games" are a Cold War or Migration Period game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

dead gay comedy forums posted:

For example, a thing that always bothered me in Vicky 1 and 2 is that South American nations are much larger than European nations with plenty of resource variety, yet Belgium has much more means to develop its industry than Colombia (which has literally the largest coal mine in the world) because of the resource-per-province model, an abstraction that is counterproductive to a socioeconomic game.

Actually, on this point, V2 does make some attempt to model the abundance of raw resources in the new world, by giving those provinces a 10x multiplier to their base RGO size, which is calculated based on the population there on game load.

And by “on game load” I mean load.

Load a save game fifty years in and suddenly all the RGOs will multiply in size.

e: a more worse omission is of differential labour efficiency. One dude labouring to produce grain in Siberia will, all other factors being equal, produce exactly as much per time unit as a dude doing the same in the black earth belt.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 27, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Military-Industrial-Complex.txt

The black box that was V2's economic system was so glorious and yet so flawed that I wonder if we'll ever be able to get a glimpse at its inner workings.

Design for Vicky 3s economic system should be done in complete secrecy with multiple conflicting descriptions about how it works mixed in with outright lies, it's the only way it could recapture that vicky2 magic

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

RabidWeasel posted:

My best guesses based only on "there's potential for a great game there which would be substantially different from existing Paradox games" are a Cold War or Migration Period game.

There's also about 3,000 years of human history still left to cover before Imperator so maybe we'll see a bronze age game, I kinda doubt they'd do a migration period game so soon after Imperator but it's possible, and then there's 1950-2200 which would probably be a Cold War game to 2001 or something. Of course, there's probably also room for like three different ancient China games so maybe it's that, release would be far enough away that they wouldn't really be competing with the new Total War.

It's totally Victoria 3 tho :ssh:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

design documents for Vicky 3 economy only exist for one meeting, after that the documents are destroyed and everyone's forced to code off memory :unsmigghh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cynic Jester posted:

I enjoy them because it lets me stop make claims early on, which is A++, as making claims suck.

Indeed. I wish one of the options in the diplomatic automation thing was 'go build a spy network and fabricate as many claims on <this guy> as possible'.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Seriously, it’s amazing to me how no other grand strategy/4X game has done this. Military units are always some weird abstraction of “production” so you can have the Civilization equivalent of WW1 and yet somehow your population just keeps going up. The pops and the way the economic system interacts with them is the reason why I love V2 so much despite it suffering from a lot of “old Paradox” jank.

I've been playing a lot of the original Master of Orion for the last week and it does this. You invade planets by loading up your pops into transports and sending them to another empire's planet, exactly the same way as you would send them to one of your own planets. Then when they arrive they fight to the death with the people already there. Of course Vicky makes a distinction between soldiers and civilians so it's not quite the same...

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

e: a more worse omission is of differential labour efficiency. One dude labouring to produce grain in Siberia will, all other factors being equal, produce exactly as much per time unit as a dude doing the same in the black earth belt.

This is something Ricky actually nailed. That Rhineland coal RGO multiplier <3<3<3

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Agean90 posted:

Design for Vicky 3s economic system should be done in complete secrecy with multiple conflicting descriptions about how it works mixed in with outright lies, it's the only way it could recapture that vicky2 magic

In the end, your country's income will just be determined by straight RNG, and all fiddling around with sliders and building factories will just make you think you're accomplishing things.

Several years later, a dev will explain this, and all players will refuse to believe them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AnoHito posted:

In the end, your country's income will just be determined by straight RNG, and all fiddling around with sliders and building factories will just make you think you're accomplishing things.

Several years later, a dev will explain this, and all players will refuse to believe them.

The most realistic game ever conceived

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That sounds just about right :ussr:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've just made it a point now to just not buy Paradox games on release anymore or have any faith that enough DLC will make a game good in the long term, and I imagine a lot of people are feeling similar "wait and see" attitudes towards Paradox games. Wait months, even years, to see if they "get good". The whole "Rush release of a buggy half finished mess then flesh it out with DLC" model paradox seems married to at this point is going to end up backfiring as people have absolutely no reason to buy new games on release.

When I was chatting about Imperator with my friends they all had the same general response "Eh, I'll check on Imperator after a few months, see what the internet says about it and if there's any good DLC or if they'll just abandon it". If enough people have this attitude, it will doom their current model. But maybe the current model is actually bad and they should do something crazy like release polished full-feature games on release that only get better with DLC, rather than the current multi-year ongoing beta programs most of their games are.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The Paradox model of release also sort of requires you to choose the "main" powers. Go be the Caledonians in Imperator and you get a much more limited game than if you're Rome.

That's not to say it's incorrect of them to aim their games at the interesting powers at launch, but they still let you play as minors who can't really do all the fun stuff which can lead folks into thinking the games are not as intricate as they actually are.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baronjutter posted:

I've just made it a point now to just not buy Paradox games on release anymore or have any faith that enough DLC will make a game good in the long term, and I imagine a lot of people are feeling similar "wait and see" attitudes towards Paradox games. Wait months, even years, to see if they "get good". The whole "Rush release of a buggy half finished mess then flesh it out with DLC" model paradox seems married to at this point is going to end up backfiring as people have absolutely no reason to buy new games on release.

When I was chatting about Imperator with my friends they all had the same general response "Eh, I'll check on Imperator after a few months, see what the internet says about it and if there's any good DLC or if they'll just abandon it". If enough people have this attitude, it will doom their current model. But maybe the current model is actually bad and they should do something crazy like release polished full-feature games on release that only get better with DLC, rather than the current multi-year ongoing beta programs most of their games are.

I mean apparently Imperium sold really well so probably not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well then Johan has no reason to sound so sad!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean regardless of sells he’s been getting hit hard for his design decisions and that’s got to hurt.

I doubt they are gonna abandon a model that is financially successful for them despite goon anecdotes.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

These games make a lot of their money through DLC and people buying the game post release. It's not surprising that they're interested in more than week one sales figures and it's a good thing that they're invested in the long term popularity.

Some people criticise their DLC model but it certainly incentiveises them to improve the games as much as they can in every patch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

Its to the point for me that I would rather wait and pay $60 for one of their games if it means it gets 50% more dev time before they release it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

paradox i will pre-order a million copies of vicky 3 to balance out these cowards

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the most Vicky way to release Vicky 3 is to do a Kickstarter and Let The Market Decide

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its to the point for me that I would rather wait and pay $60 for one of their games if it means it gets 50% more dev time before they release it.

Nah let me have a cheap and flawed game now and then a much better game later thanks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jeoh posted:

the most Vicky way to release Vicky 3 is to do a Kickstarter and Let The Market Decide

Sorry, capitalist pops have decided to make a survival/crafting early access game instead.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RabidWeasel posted:

Nah let me have a cheap and flawed game now and then a much better game later thanks.

I'm okay paying $20 more if it's at least a cheap, flawed, but still good game.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Beamed posted:

I'm okay paying $20 more if it's at least a cheap, flawed, but still good game.

And that's called first DLC :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RabidWeasel posted:

I rather have a cheap AND good game, is just a matter of waiting a lot and getting it on a sale.

"wait for some patches and DLCs/expansions then get it on a sale" has been my buying philosophy for years, not only for paradox games, but for any game. You just need to have some patience

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

OddObserver posted:

Sorry, capitalist pops have decided to make a survival/crafting early access game instead.

The true Vicky experience: pops investing in stupid useless projects.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I rather have a cheap AND good game, is just a matter of waiting a lot and getting it on a sale.

"wait for some patches and DLCs/expansions then get it on a sale" has been my buying philosophy for years, not only for paradox games, but for any game. You just need to have some patience

what a genius

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Only if the kickstarter somehow brings in army troops to help out after it got in trouble with a local Raj. And somehow half the kickstarter proceeds go to various paid-off members of parliament.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

:hai: The patient gamer always wins

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there any real alternative to "mana" for political-type resources? I mean EU3 had agents (spies, colonists, magistrates, etc) which are the same thing, and I can't really think of any other sort of system that would be good for representing the limited ability of royal courts to focus their attention in several areas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is there any real alternative to "mana" for political-type resources? I mean EU3 had agents (spies, colonists, magistrates, etc) which are the same thing, and I can't really think of any other sort of system that would be good for representing the limited ability of royal courts to focus their attention in several areas.
Mini games, that determine the cool down of whatever ability you used. The lower your monarch's stats, the harder the mini games become. Better government types give a variety of power-ups.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mini games, that determine the cool down of whatever ability you used. The lower your monarch's stats, the harder the mini games become. Better government types give a variety of power-ups.

Can't beat that candy crush level? No claim for you!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
RTS games (whether by design or by accident) end up using player attention as a balancing factor for a lot of things.

That doesn't fit overly well in the grand strategy space though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I mean, the existing alternative is the CK2 system where there's a much smaller number of resource pools (prestige, piety and money) and it's mostly done through assigning courtiers to do things. A change might be to go from CK2's method of having one spymaster that you can assign to one of five tasks at any given time, to a choice between having fewer spymasters doing fewer things, or getting a lot of spymasters to let you do a lot of things, with the tradeoff being that increases the number of powerful aristocrats and thus the risk of civil wars.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

But EU4 already has the alternative: Agents that you can set to a task and recall at any time.
Also, EU3 agents are nothing like mana.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GrossMurpel posted:

But EU4 already has the alternative: Agents that you can set to a task and recall at any time.
Also, EU3 agents are nothing like mana.

Magistrates were pretty much mana. But then again Divine Wind removed them so there's that too.

Honestly the primary difference between resources like monarch power, magistrates etc. vs money or prestige is how the income is determined, with the former being static/luck-based and the latter being skill-based. Skill-based income resources just feel better because (aside from initial advantages) you worked for them. You get more money because you played well. And when you need more money there's a clear way of getting it, playing better. Monarch power is mostly dependent on a roll of the dice and that feels kinda lovely and undeserved when the roll is poor... but you also do need something like that as a balancing factor for assymetrical starts. Something to give smaller states a tool that enables them to punch up and act as a counterbalance to the snowball effect.

I think what the mana-style systems could do to become more satisfying is adapt some of the elements of how the skill-based currencies are used. You can take loans if you are running out of money, prestige can go into the negatives, etc. EU4 specifically has added a few things that feel similar like asking estates for monarch power, but I think a more fundamental rework of those currencies to make it so that you aren't poo poo out of luck if you are out would make them feel better in gameplay.

e; Ah gently caress poo poo I mixed up DW and EU4. Yeah magistrates were pretty much mana (static-ish gain, capped, used for multiple things).

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 30, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Magistrates were pretty much mana. But then again Divine Wind removed them so there's that too.

Honestly the primary difference between resources like monarch power, magistrates etc. vs money or prestige is how the income is determined, with the former being static/luck-based and the latter being skill-based. Skill-based income resources just feel better because (aside from initial advantages) you worked for them. You get more money because you played well. And when you need more money there's a clear way of getting it, playing better. Monarch power is mostly dependent on a roll of the dice and that feels kinda lovely and undeserved when the roll is poor... but you also do need something like that as a balancing factor for assymetrical starts. Something to give smaller states a tool that enables them to punch up and act as a counterbalance to the snowball effect.

I think what the mana-style systems could do to become more satisfying is adapt some of the elements of how the skill-based currencies are used. You can take loans if you are running out of money, prestige can go into the negatives, etc. EU4 specifically has added a few things that feel similar like asking estates for monarch power, but I think a more fundamental rework of those currencies to make it so that you aren't poo poo out of luck if you are out would make them feel better in gameplay.

e; Ah gently caress poo poo I mixed up DW and EU4. Yeah magistrates were pretty much mana (static-ish gain, capped, used for multiple things).

Yeah the luck-based thing is probably what annoys me most about monarch power. The second-most annoying thing is how many completely unrelated things you spend them on. Hell, I was already annoyed when you had to use magistrates on buildings in DW and modded that out immediately. It was also stupid that you needed diplomats to recruit generals.
EU4 double-dips on that in every way. I know I'm in the vast minority in this thread but I just find it horrendous gameplay to have to decide between getting a new idea or a new technology. Maybe it makes for interesting tense decisions for most people but I just find it boring. It also had the side effect of making money borderline pointless.
I have absolutely no problem with the improvements to agents though. Having two missionaries you send on missions is superior to gaining 0.2 missionaries per month and then spending them.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
One thing I don't like about mana systems is that they tend to make the outcome instant after you've saved up the points. But that's not how governing works, so it feels fake

How I would do it:
You have one mana pool, called Focus. Mostly, it has a set maximum and recovery rate although some techs/reforms/traits or whatever can adjust it. Nowhere near as much as the current ruler MP points though.
Each faction within your nation has a Trust score towards you. These factions could be EU4's Estates, or Rome's parties, or CK2's Major Nobles or whatever. Trust is very strongly based on your character.

Each month, you have to pay Focus based on the size of your realm. Techs/Reforms/Administrators can reduce this, but never to 0
Every significant thing that your ruler would do instantly with MP before now takes time. While it's in progress, it costs Focus.
Certain actions have a Trust minimum and/or require you to burn Trust with a given faction or factions.

So for instance, if you want to pass a new law. Instead of saving up 200 Law Points and instantly getting the law, you'd commit 10 Focus per month for 20 months (number 100% asspulled, not designed around balance or experience). Events based on opposition factions could slow you down. You could burn Trust to speed up the process, or to reach the vote threshold needed to pass it. Add in a window for adjusting how much Focus you spend on various things to give the player extra control (REALLY need that law to go through fast? Burn through 60 Focus per month for 5 months. Note that this is less efficient).

This system would A)make ruling feel less like magic, because things take time B)retain the advantages of a point-based system and C)give you extra ability to interact with the factions within your realm

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I don't really think you need to get rid of activation being instant; at least personally I like that a lot. But bringing income more under player control is something you are definitely on the money on. Let's take EU4, you could have a part of your monarch power cap contributed by estates; so for instance for your military power, 25% of it is contributed by the nobles estate. That amount builds off estate loyalty and influence, in parallel to the rest of your monarch power. So if your cap is 999, and you have a 3 MIL ruler and a 1 MIL advisor, you get 7 MIL points which can build up to 750, and your nobility estates give you some extra, up to 249.

Hell, ok, let's break it more. You have a base cap, monarch cap, and estate cap. Base cap is 50% of your cap, monarch cap and estate cap are 25% each. Base builds from the 3 base gain + advisors, monarch from monarch skill (minimum should move from 0 to 1), and estate from estate infuence/loyalty. You could then toy with balance by adding modifiers to specific caps, growth rates and so on. But the player could then have a greater influence on monarch power by actually caring for estates and giving you an actual important benefit from doling out land to them instead of constantly trying to rein them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's one of those things where you really just need to find the right sort of balance that feels good, and it's hard to really say what that is. It's not an inherently "fun" mechanic, but it's basically like ammunition in an FPS, there's nothing fun about not having bullets, but you want to give the player the tension of running low, or even making them consider alternative playstyles.

The obvious issue being, if it costs resources to do any playstyle, then it sure does suck running out of everything. CK2 gives you the option of doing things for "free" if you're willing to do a bunch of digging around for claimants, as well as a smattering of tasks to do for when you're suck in long peaces that may be mostly flavor.