Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Uncharted 4 talk:

This game took me 29 hours to beat, I find that it pretty incredible for an Uncharted game.... however, the game is anything but incredible. Characters and story are fantastic, gameplay is just... abysmal. Or, what you can label as gameplay is. Pushing crates, getting step-ups from other characters, the blatantly brain-dead climbing... especially at the very end. The game just doesn't want to loving end. Like, just end! Does Nate really need another section of pointless activity to find Sam? The gameplay doesn't contribute to the story at all. It's just static environment after static environment, no matter how beautiful the scenery is. And boy is it.

This is all old hat obviously, everyone knows how Uncharted is. But 4, because of its length, really really began to wear on me.

Funnily enough, I think the multiplayer is the best part of this game. Fun, simple, fast and feels really good.

I got sidetracked after the amazing chapter 11 (I think) and was bored to tears at how chapter 12 was shaping up; just circling some island in a slow rear end boat. Never went back to it. I'll just pretend chapter 11 was the finale.

I mean I get that it was very likely intentional to make the next chapter a bit of an emotional breather after the previous few chapters, but gently caress that boat and gently caress that island.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

I got sidetracked after the amazing chapter 11 (I think) and was bored to tears at how chapter 12 was shaping up; just circling some island in a slow rear end boat. Never went back to it. I'll just pretend chapter 11 was the finale.

I mean I get that it was very likely intentional to make the next chapter a bit of an emotional breather after the previous few chapters, but gently caress that boat and gently caress that island.

Go finish the game, you're nowhere near the end. It's worth reaching the end because it properly caps off the Nathan Drake games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
so sony essentially will be at e3

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not quite the same but I own Duke Nukem 3D between retail and different releases like 7 times. Doom (included doom 2 etc...) 9 times. And here goes the best one: Battlefield 4 on PC, Xbox360 and PS4. I own Dark Souls on PC twice (Prepare to Die and rematered), Xbox 360 (prepare to die) and PS4 (remastered), Dark Souls 2 on PC and Xbox 360, Dark Souls 2 SoTFS on PC/Xbox360/PS4 and DS3 on PC/PS4. I also own three different copies of Unreal (CD) and three digital versions.

But my badge of shame is this:

It arrived the day before launch.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Barudak posted:

Being 30% as good as MH:World still makes it the second best game in the genre by a huge margin

Soul Sacrifice Delta would like to have some words with you.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Guillermus posted:

Not quite the same but I own Duke Nukem 3D between retail and different releases like 7 times. Doom (included doom 2 etc...) 9 times. And here goes the best one: Battlefield 4 on PC, Xbox360 and PS4. I own Dark Souls on PC twice (Prepare to Die and rematered), Xbox 360 (prepare to die) and PS4 (remastered), Dark Souls 2 on PC and Xbox 360, Dark Souls 2 SoTFS on PC/Xbox360/PS4 and DS3 on PC/PS4. I also own three different copies of Unreal (CD) and three digital versions.

That's actually pretty cool. I'm probably one of 5 people who actually enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever though.

Speaking of garbage opinions, I started playing Mass Effect Andromeda this weekend and although I'm only a few hours into it so far, I'm actually really enjoying my time with it (well worth the $4 I paid for it). Aside from the character models being soulless vessels, everything else from the combat to the environments are pretty good. I think it helps that the game has been patched several times since release. I just really hope Bioware gets another chance at Mass Effect next gen, would love to see them learn from Andromeda and make something phenomenal.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

This thread is so supportive :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guillermus posted:

It's okay, friend. I've also got the Balls of Steel Edition.

I've also got the Aliens: Colonial Marines Collector's Edition, though I will admit the power-loader statue in that looks goddamn great.

BisterdDave posted:

Speaking of garbage opinions, I started playing Mass Effect Andromeda this weekend and although I'm only a few hours into it so far, I'm actually really enjoying my time with it (well worth the $4 I paid for it). Aside from the character models being soulless vessels, everything else from the combat to the environments are pretty good. I think it helps that the game has been patched several times since release. I just really hope Bioware gets another chance at Mass Effect next gen, would love to see them learn from Andromeda and make something phenomenal.

ME:Andromeda's badness isn't really front-loaded. It starts out looking pretty decent, but you'll eventually find something you dislike, start tugging at loose threads, and realize just how disappointing it all actually is a about halfway into the game.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2019

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

EB games randomly sent me the PC special edition of Watch Dogs for free out of nowhere one day, so I've got this really high quality and high fidelity statue of like, a hipster black dude I guess.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

BisterdDave posted:

That's actually pretty cool. I'm probably one of 5 people who actually enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever though.

This is what mostly everyone, including me, said when they were at that point.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I just bought a PS4 (Mostly to play Borderlands 3 which I hope wasn’t s huge mistake) but I’m wondering if there’s a must play Mech Game or two. Preferably of the bigger, city stomping variety.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Andromeda isn’t as bad as people told me it was going to be but it’s no ME2. Like a lot of open world games having multiple huge expanses to drive around in actually just hurts the game, you get distracted by so much (mandatory or non-mandatory) poo poo that by the time you get back to something worthwhile (main/character missions) you can’t remember what’s going on. And since it’s characters are of course nowhere near as good as the trilogy this only hurts it even more.

If you don’t want to play another way too long winded open world action game then ME:A is going to feel even worse because since it needs to have its characters actually talk it’s going to feel even more long winded.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
One complaint I do have, which also applies to pretty much every other sci-fi piece of entertainment, is how all the alien species are essentially humans with different color skin. The anatomies are drat near the same (why does every alien female have to have tits, "I can't wait to gently caress that alien!"), and all phrases and communication are drawn straight from earth. It just takes away from some of the immersion and believability.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

One complaint I do have, which also applies to pretty much every other sci-fi piece of entertainment, is how all the alien species are essentially humans with different color skin. The anatomies are drat near the same (why does every alien female have to have tits, "I can't wait to gently caress that alien!"), and all phrases and communication are drawn straight from earth. It just takes away from some of the immersion and believability.

Mass Effect isn't actually that bad in that regard. Beyond being humanoid (and aside from the Asari pretty explicitly being the fuckable alien race), they all at least look like they're creatures that evolved naturally in the biomes of their native homeworlds. Also the Earth idioms actually do have a reason for existing in Mass Effect: Turians think human idioms are neat :allears:.

It's what makes the new (all of TWO) races so egregious in Andromeda, because they actually do just look weird for the sake of being alien and your translator will suddenly figure out what they're saying nigh-instantly. We all know you surely couldn't do anything interesting with first contact with a wholly new race that we know nothing about. Instead they've been dealing with the exiles already for months and act like any other quest hub looking for a patsy with an important-sounding title.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
As much as I had fun with Andromeda, and don't think it's as bad as people keep spouting it is, that was the worst part of it for me.

At one point someone even wonders aloud what it could be like to meet a new alien species that's millions of lights years different from us in evolution. The answer is...well, pretty much exactly the same as us, except they have weird chests and get energy from the sun. Almost all their terms have a direct correlation to english, they have families and similar moralities, a concept of religion that focuses on reincarnation, and fear pretty much the same things we do.

The alien races from the other Mass Effect games, like the jellyfish and the big quadrupedal guys, were way more interesting than "Hi I'm pretty much a turian but with flaps"

Edit: And of course you can gently caress them, because Bioware.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 27, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the closest mass effect got to properly "alien" aliens was the Geth, and ME3 promptly buried everything interesting about them

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about the Elcor and that jellyfish race? Those were pretty different and alien imo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BisterdDave posted:

My complaint about sci-fi games is when they don't let me play as the aliens.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Numlock posted:

I just bought a PS4 (Mostly to play Borderlands 3 which I hope wasn’t s huge mistake) but I’m wondering if there’s a must play Mech Game or two. Preferably of the bigger, city stomping variety.

Not quite city stomping but I got Titanfall 2 cheap in a sale and never bothered playing it for ages after, when I did goddamn was that an excellent campaign, and I didn't give a gently caress about big mech stuff going in. I would recommend that.

People who didn't finish Uncharted 4: I put it down half way through because the jungle stealth was a bit repetitive but I definitely advise you to finish it if you haven't. I like to think I'm a skeptical man child who has seen too much media through books, film and games and the Uncharted 4 ending is genuinely good. Worth the slog, it won a Bafta after all.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Are there any Mass Effect books worth checking out?

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Went back to RDR2, having fun with it, but holy poo poo the bugs.

The most recent one that seems to keep occurring is that I'll be out in the woods alone hunting stuff, and a woman's voice will exclaim "ARTHUR!", but there's no-one actually around anywhere.

Also all the subtitles seemed to have changed to spanish in the camp for some reason but that seems to have sorted itself out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Nope

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Space Panda posted:

What about the Elcor and that jellyfish race? Those were pretty different and alien imo

it's mostly because the divide between the geth and the rest of the galaxy in ME2 isn't cultural or ideological but existential

the elcor and hanar are physically weirder than most but their cultures and behavior still have recognizable human analogues for the most part. the geth are a massive gestalt intelligence that swaps in and out of corporeal bodies as easily as most people would change a pair of shoes and considers schism-inducing ideological differences to be something more akin to a mathematical rounding error. despite his name, legion himself is a tremendous experiment on the geth's part just to create an entity that's able to attain some understanding and communication of the concept of "I" rather than "we," because they recognize that they're just too different from the rest of the galaxy otherwise to establish meaningful contact with other races

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BisterdDave posted:

There's some good slash fic around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Only if you really want to know who the woman in the academy in ME3 is, why the Quarians especially hate Cerberus, or how Anderson knows Kai Lang.

In other words no.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Man, I wish I could work up some enthusiasm for this game but it's just not there.

Anyway, Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin was really good, basically a perfect sequel imo. If it ever gets another re-release I hope they add the original lighting engine back in. But otherwise aside from a few lackluster bosses it's consistently strong in lore, environments, and weapons.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Anyway, Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin was really good, basically a perfect sequel imo. If it ever gets another re-release I hope they add the original lighting engine back in.

If it's anything like the most recent Dark Souls remaster, they'll make it look even worse.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Man, I wish I could work up some enthusiasm for this game but it's just not there.

I'm only hyped for TLOU2 because of the Naughty Dog pedigree. What little they've shown so far wouldn't have registered with me at all beyond "technically impressive" if it wasnt for the last game being one of the best games ever and ND generally making great games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just beat RE7... awesome game, although the salt mines were kind of eh, just a string of fights and the last boss was basically a cutscene. Though I do like how it ended up tying into the overarching RE lore.

How’s the DLC? Wondering if it’s worth picking up or if I should move on to RE2make

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sony is gonna hire a guy to stand outside E3 wearing a sandwich board that says "TLOU2 DEATH STRANDING 2019" and they're gonna steal the show.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just beat RE7... awesome game, although the salt mines were kind of eh, just a string of fights and the last boss was basically a cutscene. Though I do like how it ended up tying into the overarching RE lore.

How’s the DLC? Wondering if it’s worth picking up or if I should move on to RE2make

End of Zoe and Not a Hero are pretty decent mini-level expansions, and the banned footage dlc contains a couple mini-games. Not a Hero is probably the best of the bunch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Whoa I didn’t realize one of the DLC episodes is free. I’ll definitely check that one out at least

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1133070365758971904?s=19

New trailer next week too. 2019 release date, i can feel it, deep down in my plums. Ds/Tlou2 2019. Fall. Getting the shakes right now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Whoa I didn’t realize one of the DLC episodes is free. I’ll definitely check that one out at least

End of zoe is completely different and tapes off the re7 story and is worth for the main character alone and way better than not a hero.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Not a Hero is Jigsaw meets Chris Redfield and the former wishes he didnt.

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1133070365758971904?s=19

New trailer next week too. 2019 release date, i can feel it, deep down in my plums. Ds/Tlou2 2019. Fall. Getting the shakes right now.

I’m thinking one this fall and one in the feb-April window. I don’t think they would want to step on each other. Both of these games are going to be huge imo

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Demolishing a smooth concrete wall in my basement with a sledgehammer. From the rubble I drag out a large airtight polycarbonate case and unlock it to reveal foam insert containing rusted piece of poo poo rifle, seven rounds, shiv, frayed dirty bandage, two nail bombs, pile of random mechanical parts,

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

RE2make is incredible, even better than RE7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Spalec posted:

I'm only hyped for TLOU2 because of the Naughty Dog pedigree. What little they've shown so far wouldn't have registered with me at all beyond "technically impressive" if it wasnt for the last game being one of the best games ever and ND generally making great games.

I definitely am excited to see the final product, but I think I'm more interested to see where ND goes next. It has to be with a new IP. Turning back to Uncharted would be too soon I think. Probably new IP, then possibly Uncharted 5 with Cassie as the protagonist.