Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

sitchensis posted:

No joke, e-scooters might have the potential to save us:

Its still not legal to ride any personal electric vehicle on the road in Vancouver other than an E-bike. Electric skateboards, scooters etc are all illegal because the laws haven't caught up with technology. Chances of getting a ticket are pretty small but I've heard of several electric skateboard riders getting tickets for riding on the road. The provincial govt needs to get behind modes of transport that potentially get people out of their cars. It doesn't seem to be any sort of priority for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jehde posted:

I agree that they are very hard, possibly even unrealistic, goals to meet. It would be great if drivers would be more supportive of alternative transportation infrastructure development in general though, so we have at least some hope of achieving a more car-less paradise. But, well, "more stuff for non-drivers, nothing more for drivers" doesn't palette well to drivers for obvious reasons. So we're back to accepting our doom of huffing on car farts as they run us over ad mortem. :shrug:

I'm moving to an area in Winnipeg where I'll be able to bike or walk to almost anything I'll need, but I'll still need to drive if I want to get clothes.

It would be prohibitively difficult to do even that much, let alone live fully car-free, anywhere else I've lived here.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I'm definitely not the sales guy, I'm more the crazy ideas guy. I make some gun nuts mad with my radical ideas w.r.t. proliferated firearms ownership. I do think EV incentives are a good stepping stone, and eventually self-driving will solve some of the pedestrian murder problems (or make them worse :awesomelon:), but also level 4 automation seems impossible for all of Canada. An e-scooter co-op utopia would be fantastic.

E: Supposedly an e-scooter share program is opening up here this summer! Can't wait to complain about them clogging up the bike lanes in a couple months.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 27, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1133047029691822081

"as long as we're using fossil fuels we should be using *checks notes* the dirtiest oil on the planet"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

e-bikes are a neat idea but the problem is everyone driving them on the side walk. I almost get run down a few times a week thanks to them being quiet and not using bells or horns or anything.

Pinterest Mom posted:

"as long as we're using fossil fuels we should be using *checks notes* the dirtiest oil on the planet"
Green, but not TOO green.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Green, but not TOO green.

banning fossil fuels in their entirety in 2019 might be just a teeny tiny bit of a stretch

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Man I can't wait until someone actually ends oil imports and everyone has to pay $12 a litre for heavy oil gasoline

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wilhelm posted:

banning fossil fuels in their entirety in 2019 might be just a teeny tiny bit of a stretch

I mean, we're gonna have to stretch something.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Yeah forcing Canada to only use its own oil is totally not going to backfire and have gas be $12/L, look at our wildly successful Telcom industry or supply management system. Those Canadian industries are the backbone of Canada; Paying more is truly our national pastime.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Meanwhile, in Alberta:

https://twitter.com/NDPMikeC/status/1133016269316186113?s=20
Members of my family are telling me to stop getting my knickers in a knot over the abortion bans in the USA because "Stuff like that'll never happen in Canada". Right...

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I wonder if one of JWR or JP become leader.....

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1133071311813709825

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

This is possibly the weirdest thing to happen in this whole saga

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Haha, Ford is actually going ahead and breaking The Beer Store contract.

Estimated penalty costs could be up to $1 billion.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Efficiencies

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Pinterest Mom posted:

The best part is that we have to make huge investments in refining capacity to adequately serve our own markets, It's so loving stupid. This loving country. Our Green Party is supporting multi-billion dollar investment into massive fossil fuel projects. And these refining projects have their lives measured in decades. And we need to decarbonize in loving years. What the gently caress Green Party.

There needs to be a environmental movement willing to criticize this poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

No, but look, $60bn in debt! We've got to cut everything or our children will be bankrupt!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

Efficiencies

Gotta spend money to make money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
*The province will actually make even less money since this will also cannibalize LCBO sales

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I just don't loving get it. It makes no sense. Why the gently caress do we build more refining capacity when it already exists elsewhere? What the gently caress is the point (in the context of a capitalist globalized economy). How the gently caress do we benefit from it? The pay-off for these projects won't be till like at least 2030. It makes no god drat sense. Like what the gently caress.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^Saying it makes Albertans less unlikely to vote for you.

infernal machines posted:

*The province will actually make even less money since this will also cannibalize LCBO sales

Well it's not like the guy he put in charge of the LCBO knows anything about running a liquor control board/retail empire. That job must be hard. Why not make it easier by knocking a few hundred skus off the books?

e: He's definitely not paying $1Bn, he'll just legislate the contract out of existence and pay a few tens of millions in legal fees defending it, while everyone else who has a contract with the government packs up their poo poo and moves somewhere that's open for business

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 27, 2019

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The green party is the perfect low info feel good party for low info selfish Canadians.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That's awesome, money well spent.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

cowofwar posted:

The green party is the perfect low info feel good party for low info selfish Canadians.

Congratulations to our new PM Elizabeth May.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Oh hey the broken clock is right.

Do DriveTest next.

e: there's probably a better way to do this than by breaking a contract and I'm sure the dipshits are gonna screw this up but that the beer store exists in the first place is a policy failure to me.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 27, 2019

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The beer store is dumb, and there's no good excuse for beer sales being controlled by a private monopoly, but the contract only had like 5 years left in it, so I don't understand why we have to get out of it right now, and I have little confidence this is being done so that we can usher in a new age of well-paying jobs at unionized liquor stores or anything like that.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

enki42 posted:

The beer store is dumb, and there's no good excuse for beer sales being controlled by a private monopoly, but the contract only had like 5 years left in it, so I don't understand why we have to get out of it right now, and I have little confidence this is being done so that we can usher in a new age of well-paying jobs at unionized liquor stores or anything like that.

How to lib 101: set up contract with massive penalties right before you lose power and take a job at the beneficiary.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

enki42 posted:

doug ford probably has some buddies that run a convenience store (or chain) and this is going to make them a shitload of money and since its the province footing the billion dollar bill who gives a gently caress am i right guys

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I would assume the OPC would delay fines for as long as possible through courts and hopefully pass them off to the next government

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kindest Forums User posted:

I just don't loving get it. It makes no sense. Why the gently caress do we build more refining capacity when it already exists elsewhere? What the gently caress is the point (in the context of a capitalist globalized economy). How the gently caress do we benefit from it? The pay-off for these projects won't be till like at least 2030. It makes no god drat sense. Like what the gently caress.

For a prospective member of the Communist Party of Canada, you sure appear to be buying into the free trade rhetoric on this one. Shouldn't those dollars be kept at home, creating jobs for our fellow countrymen to build, maintain, and administrate this infrastructure rather than putting a few more dollars in the pockets of capital for the sake of efficiency? Should we not assure our own economic independence so that we are not held hostage by foreign interests after the revolution and subsequent nationalizations?

If British Columbia is following the right path by restricting the use of land to assure provincial food security lest those uppity Albertans decide to cut off trade and drown themselves in grain silos, surely on a national level increasing refinery capacity and doing a better job at emissions recapture than refineries in third world states such as Mississippi can only be a good thing.

(Also 2030 is only 10.5 years away - a blink of an eye! But I imagine the payback is actually longer or else it would likely actually be a good idea. We're simply not going to fully decarbonize that quickly.)

Our banks and telecommunications companies are our beloved national treasures. Surely our refineries would join them!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1133074064929710089

tbh it sounds like Elizabeth May just doesn't want to be the leader of the Green Party anymore.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If you want to get people off of petroleum, mandating the use of $12/L fuel seems rather more useful than a modest, affordable carbon tax.

(This is definitely not what she's thinking)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1133074064929710089

tbh it sounds like Elizabeth May just doesn't want to be the leader of the Green Party anymore.

There's something sad and also hilarious about E May asking anyone who gives her the time of day if they'd like to take her job.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"would you like to be green leader"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Nice

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

UnknownMercenary posted:

Congratulations to our new PM Elizabeth May.

She'd do electoral reform

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Reality Winter posted:

She'd do electoral reform

Anything to get out of her job.

E: In which the Right Honourable Elizabeth May invites Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, to lead the Green Party of Canada

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 27, 2019

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Can I just email her and tell her to give me the job? I swear I'll do better

Fake edit: me or Hastings

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Had a guy come in today from Alberta that honest to god thought Jason Kenney could just call up the Saudis and put pressure on them to bring back the oil boom. Conservatives live on another loving planet these days and I honestly dont think its possible to talk them down or out of their beliefs at this point.

Though I wont lie, I would love to hear the phone recording of Kenney trying to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What?

Like, seriously, what?

How the gently caress would that work even in the I have the understanding of a five year old when it comes to global affairs mindset?