Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think B550 mobos are coming in Aug or Sept?

If you can wait that long then fine. Otherwise a X470 isn't a bad option so long as you don't care much about PCIe 4.0 or need more lanes.

Or just be on the look out for older boards that support PCIe 4.0

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-amd-ryzen-3000-pcie-4.0-x470,39377.html

quote:

We confirmed that a PCIe 4.0 option is available on X470, but reports have surfaced that the option is also available for the budget-oriented B450 motherboards.

Original Story:

Over the last few weeks, motherboard makers have released a steady stream of BIOS updates to support AMD's Ryzen 3000 processors, but Gigabyte's newest BIOS has a special feature: The company has enabled the option for PCIe 4.0 in the BIOS of its X470 Aorus Gaming Wi-Fi 7 motherboard. That signals that, under some circumstances, the company will likely support PCIe 4.0 on existing motherboards if you drop in a new Ryzen 3000 processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Plenty of goons couldn't wait to dump a few hundred on the BESTEST Z390 boards when the 9900k launched in the Intel and PC part picking threads :v:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

jisforjosh posted:

Or just be on the look out for older boards that support PCIe 4.0

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-amd-ryzen-3000-pcie-4.0-x470,39377.html

That is pretty cool. Didn't think more than a few X470 mobo would support PCIe 4.0.

orcane posted:

Plenty of goons couldn't wait to dump a few hundred on the BESTEST Z390 boards when the 9900k launched in the Intel and PC part picking threads :v:
In general it seems to me AMD goons are more price conscious and focus more on bang for the buck. Just the type of buyer AMD has attracted over the years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GamersNexus said B550 isn't coming until next year.

A lot of these X570 boards have truly monstrous VRMs and cooling. ASUS has a mITX board with two fans in the IO shield, plus heat pipes. That would be insane even on TR4 or X299, and we only have 105 watt parts announced.

I feel like they wouldn't be doing this unless a) the 16 core part has an insane TDP bin, or b) Zen2 has something up its sleeve in boost configurations, aka a new PBO that actually works like AMD wanted it to. If they really have a fully working PBO scheme, that might be the reason to go X570. But we aren't going to get any of those details until June 10th.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Can you drop a Ryzen 3000 into a B450 or X470 and update the BIOS so it works or do you need a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series CPU in there first?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

GamersNexus said B550 isn't coming until next year.
Yeeesh that isn't good!

Oh well at least current X470/B450 mobos aren't badly priced and will seem to work just fine.

Cygni posted:

I feel like they wouldn't be doing this unless a) the 16 core part has an insane TDP bin, or b) Zen2 has something up its sleeve in boost configurations, aka a new PBO that actually works like AMD wanted it to
Interesting thought but I don't think this pans out.

On the top end the mobo vendors have been over specing the heck out of things for a while.

Go look at the Buildzoid review of the VRM of my X370 on the previous page for reference. That thing can put out so much power that the CPU becomes uncoolable with LN2 and its 'tame' compared to some of the VRM's on these new high end X570 mobos!!

OhFunny posted:

Can you drop a Ryzen 3000 into a B450 or X470 and update the BIOS so it works or do you need a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series CPU in there first?
I'd expect it to need a BIOS update first so yeah either a earlier Ryzen chip is needed or one of those AM4 Bulldozer APU's to boot from.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 27, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

I can see some parallels between RTX/Tensor cores and PCIe 4!
Sounds like cool thing you really want for future proofing, gives marketing an excuse for a significant price increase, developed for HPC/servers and adapted for desktop consumers, kind of needs to mature or a die-shrink because it uses more power than you’d hope, isn’t ready for the mobile market and most consumers won’t *need* it for the next 2-3 years anyway. That’s when PCIe 5.0 is out. :downs:

I know that’s not completely accurate because of PCIe 4 SSDs/GPUs and what not but you get the idea.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

spasticColon posted:

I'm sorry but this feels like a wet fart to me or maybe I just bought into the hype too much.
But Intel just doing minimal performance increases gen-by-gen is somehow OK? By catching up, AMD managed to make a decent jump. Assuming there isn't a lot of asterisks to the benchmarks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

You'll need to update the BIOS before the 3000 series chips will work, so for some boards that means you need a temporary 1000/2000 series chip to update.

Higher end boards usually have a way to update the BIOS from a USB drive even if no CPU is installed though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

No, they spec'd to the 16C part AMD showed them apparently.

Isn't that exactly what I said? :confused:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The thing I'm really curious about with PCIe 4.0 is how or whether it will impact IOMMU groupings.

If 4.0 has double the bandwidth of 3.0, then having an x8 slot won't really gimp graphics performance for GPU passthrough. Just being able to use half the lanes for the same kinds of splits will be really helpful even with storage.

I can very confidently say that Threadripper 3000 series is going to get real weird. Especially if you do container/virtualization workloads.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

TheFluff posted:

Isn't that exactly what I said? :confused:

It is!!

I hosed up and mis-read 32C for some reason, somehow???

Sorry

According to guys like Buildzoid and Steve at GN the 16C/32T parts are real and a thing and the mobo vendors have had them since maybe Dec 2018. So its probable they're coming just not yet so its maybe not a complete screw up.

edit: from what I can tell when I used it last (long time ago) Ryzen Master is a buggy mess that I didn't trust. I've been OC'ing through the BIOS for years so I don't ever even bother with windows apps to do it. It was more just to see what it was like.\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 27, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

surf rock posted:

Khorne, is there any program you'd recommend for doing the CPU overclocking test of stability and temperature?
I always just use prime95 with a second program, like hwmonitor, open to view temps. There are other programs and probably some more modern options. I know Aida64 and OCCT are or were somewhat popular. I think many of the motherboard vendors have programs that do these things.

HWMonitor had a bug with AMD cpus where it would show incorrect clocks or voltages. I can't remember which and I have no idea if it was fixed. AMD has Ryzen Master Utility which is like hwmonitor and does more.

I was kind of hoping someone else would chime in because I'm on an ancient setup. I did overclock my brother's 1600 with Ryzen Master + Prime 95.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 27, 2019

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

orcane posted:

Plenty of goons couldn't wait to dump a few hundred on the BESTEST Z390 their current board with a different socket when the 9900k an OC'd version of the CPU they bought last year launched in the Intel and PC part picking threads :v:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Did AMD mention if they're keeping the StoreMI functionality for the 3000 series? That feels like it was a huge win for rolling your own NAS, or even laptops with a boot SSD+HDD, but I didn't see much come of it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Make sure the X470 has a top end VRM and probably not much.

As of right now I'm definitely not regretting splurging on a Crosshair VII. I was worried that there would be cool new things that would make me want to upgrade the board as well as the processor, but :lol: at the prices of the new boards.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's a reason to get concerned over VRM's yet. The 3700X is 65w, which means pretty much any board should be able to handle that kind of power draw, especially if it isn't manually overclocked. From what Steve at GN has been implying, the ultra beefy X570 boards are probably not built as they are for 105w parts. There's probably something significantly more demanding on the horizon.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think the 3900X will cause any major problems for existing boards.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

fknlo posted:

As of right now I'm definitely not regretting splurging on a Crosshair VII. I was worried that there would be cool new things that would make me want to upgrade the board as well as the processor, but :lol: at the prices of the new boards.
What are the prices? I somehow missed that leak.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Khorne posted:

What are the prices? I somehow missed that leak.

GamersNexus had pricing info for at least the Gigabyte boards in their coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDA0zBR6MgA

(Unfortunately no text form available, video only.)

stealth edit:

- Gigabyte X570 Xtreme: ~$600
- Gigabyte X570 Master: ~$350
- Gigabyte X570 Ultra: ~$300
- Gigabyte X570 Pro: ~$260 ($250 without wifi)
- Gigabyte X570 Elite: ~$200
- Gigabyte X570 Gaming X: ~$170

As a point of reference, comparing a few names (like, Gaming X with Gaming X) with their Z390 lineup at retail pricing right now, these boards are ~$30-$40 more expensive. The Z390 Gaming X is $140, and Z390 Xtreme is $560, for example.

e2: they actually have real heatsinks with finstacks and everything for the VRM too now, so if anything you'd be able to run more CPU with less VRM with these, assuming you have some decent airflow in your case

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 27, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Dramicus posted:

I don't think there's a reason to get concerned over VRM's yet. The 3700X is 65w, which means pretty much any board should be able to handle that kind of power draw, especially if it isn't manually overclocked. From what Steve at GN has been implying, the ultra beefy X570 boards are probably not built as they are for 105w parts. There's probably something significantly more demanding on the horizon.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think the 3900X will cause any major problems for existing boards.

One option is: the tdp figures are way out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Could be, but AMD has historically been honest with TDP. It was Intel that started the practice of reporting TDP as less than max power draw.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

TheFluff posted:

GamersNexus had pricing info for at least the Gigabyte boards in their coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDA0zBR6MgA

(Unfortunately no text form available, video only.)

stealth edit:

Jesus what's with the ~$80 premium on the Pro version compared to the Z390 Pro at $160-190

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

jisforjosh posted:

Jesus what's with the ~$80 premium on the Pro version compared to the Z390 Pro at $160-190

Dunno, but the Z390 Pro is weirdly placed even within its own chipset since the Z390 Elite retails for the same price. I can't be arsed to look up what the differences between them are at the moment.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have wanted to buy or build a new system for a long time, but don't have much money to spare. I've got a parts list on NewEgg that is just over $900 built around a 2600x, and I see a Dell system built around 2700x that is on sale for about the same price. Either way I'll be moving my GeForce 1060 6gb from my current machine to serve as the GPU.

My question is, if Ryzen 3 is due out at the beginning of July, how much of a price drop on Ryzen 2 CPUs and mobos should I expect? Should I force myself to wait into next month, or do you think the prices will be pretty flat for a while despite the new chips launching?

Edit: Also, how much performance difference would there be on the Ryzen 2 CPUs between 2400 and 3200 speed RAM?

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 27, 2019

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Dunno, but the Z390 Pro is weirdly placed even within its own chipset since the Z390 Elite retails for the same price. I can't be arsed to look up what the differences between them are at the moment.

The Pro is the better board. Higher end VRM cooling solution as well as more fan headers, temperature sensors, SLI/Crossfire support, and a USB type C header.

Edit: if anything it's the Elite that's price weirdly

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 27, 2019

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It might be that the TDP numbers are accurate for scalar and SSE workloads but get blown the gently caress out on heavy AVX workloads, similar to what happened with Intel when Haswell added a full 256-bit pipeline.

How much power do we reckon the 12-core will draw on Prime95, given Zen2 has no AVX offset :kingsley:

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 27, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TheFluff posted:

stealth edit:

drat. I thought $180 for a not-x570 Taichi was steep.

I watched the Master review by buildzoid and there's no way I'd pay $350 for that motherboard. What feature does it have to justify the price? It doesn't even have a 10g nic. For 350 I'd expect dual 10g nics as a bare minimum, and even then I probably wouldn't buy it because 10g isn't quite here yet at the consumer level and when it comes it will be cheaper.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 27, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So want to slam a 3900X into my Asrock X370 Taichi. Just need them to put out their P5.60 BIOS which was supposed to come out this month.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

jisforjosh posted:

The Pro is the better board. Higher end VRM cooling solution as well as more fan headers, temperature sensors, SLI/Crossfire support, and a USB type C header.

Edit: if anything it's the Elite that's price weirdly

Right. Looking at Z390 VRM charts though even the Z390 Elite is considered good enough for ~200W to the socket (9900K on air cooling in extreme AVX workloads, basically), with the rest of the product stack being for custom water loops and more exotic solutions.

e: For comparison my 8700K at 4.9GHz with no AVX offset draws something like 175W when running P95, and that's as high as it goes. The 9900K is basically that with two more cores, so as a rough ballpark I figure it'd land somewhere around 225W.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 27, 2019

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Khorne posted:

drat. I thought $180 for a not-x570 Taichi was steep.

I watched the Master review by buildzoid and there's no way I'd pay $350 for that motherboard. What feature does it have to justify the price? It doesn't even have a 10g nic. For 350 I'd expect dual 10g nics as a bare minimum, and even then I probably wouldn't buy it because 10g isn't quite here yet at the consumer level and when it comes it will be cheaper.

Looks like it's an true 12 phase VRM instead of a 6 phase doubler.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Rabid Snake posted:

12 core is still pretty cool. I still feel dumb for buying the 9900k after all of the exploits. I mean I might have to turn off hyper threading. I just wished the lower end models hit 5 ghz
I guess it’s again all about your personal usecases/scenarios and the actual time.
I bought the 9900K early November 2018, so the moment the AMD competition arrives I am already using and playing the until then best gaming CPU for 8+ months, stable at 4,9 GHz allcore. So as an „early adopter“ I was glad I did not wait and betting on AMD „only“ closing the performance gaps many months later. It was the CPU and power I needed 7 mints ago, and it was worth it for 1440p gaming and Multiboxing.

But right now I would indeed wait and not buy an 9900 again, if I can prolong the days and weeks of waiting and check the benchmarks and final retail prices. I would expect 20-40% markups on retail prices the first 2-5 weeks tho, at least in Germany.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr.PayDay posted:

I guess it’s again all about your personal usecases/scenarios and the actual time.
I bought the 9900K early November 2018, so the moment the AMD competition arrives I am already using and playing the until then best gaming CPU for 8+ months, stable at 4,9 GHz allcore. So as an „early adopter“ I was glad I did not wait and betting on AMD „only“ closing the performance gaps many months later. It was the CPU and power I needed 7 mints ago, and it was worth it for 1440p gaming and Multiboxing.

But right now I would indeed wait and not buy an 9900 again, if I can prolong the days and weeks of waiting and check the benchmarks and final retail prices. I would expect 20-40% markups on retail prices the first 2-5 weeks tho, at least in Germany.
If I bought an 8700k near release or a 9900k near release I wouldn't even bother buying zen2 or upgrading them yet. I wish I had bought an 8700k near release.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

repiv posted:

You'll need to update the BIOS before the 3000 series chips will work, so for some boards that means you need a temporary 1000/2000 series chip to update.

Higher end boards usually have a way to update the BIOS from a USB drive even if no CPU is installed though.

Is there a list of this or something to search for to find out? I tried Googling but all I got was results about updating the gen 1 boards for Zen+.

Or if anyone knows firsthand of Mini-ITX boards that would support this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Humerus posted:

Is there a list of this or something to search for to find out? I tried Googling but all I got was results about updating the gen 1 boards for Zen+.

Or if anyone knows firsthand of Mini-ITX boards that would support this.

Seems it's less common on AMD boards, I checked Asus and Asrocks AM4 ITX boards and none of them seem to have CPU-less flashing.

Maybe AMD will do a repeat of this scheme though: https://www.techspot.com/news/73334-amd-give-ryzen-apu-customers-free-processor-help.html

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flashing the BIOS pretty much requires an installer or direct connection to the SPI bus with a programmer. The USB ones have a programmer on board that does this.

Or well, based on my experience in working with BIOS code, that's how it would be done.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jisforjosh posted:

PCIe 4.0 redrivers, one assumes.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rabid Snake posted:

12 core is still pretty cool. I still feel dumb for buying the 9900k after all of the exploits. I mean I might have to turn off hyper threading. I just wished the lower end models hit 5 ghz

Do not feel dumb. You already have a CPU. The exploits are irrelevant as a consumer. If someone is running local code on your machine you are already completely owned. None of these new processors will be as good as a 9900k for gaming, even AMD's next generation after this probably won't peak out as well as a 9900k for gaming.

With the enormity of the spike in motherboard prices, AMD will only really be beating Intel as a value proposition by having more plentiful and appealing midrange options.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The exploits are relevant because all the necessary mitigations reduce the performance of the CPU a great deal.

Also, everyone is letting somebody else run local code on their machines: Through their browsers.

But yes, don't feel bad about buying a 9900k.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

40% performance hit is a huge amount.

Mind you that's the biggest possible hit but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I guess it'll be a market segmentation feature to have PCIe 3.0 on B550, A520 and PCIe 4.0 on X570?

That PCIe bandwidth test is a little odd. What kind of workloads would benefit from that test simulation? Storage is covered by Crystal Disk Mark AFAIK.