Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah I've noticed that as I improve I get annoyed at gimmicks less and less. I think I die to regular combat as much as I do firebombs, archers, horses, and siege combined. Sure dying to the latter is more noticeable, but frontline tends to largely be about that good Y vs X combat. I've tried a few builds!I made a Valkyrie type character that uses two short spears, a targe, and some light armor. It's fun to get the occasional thrown spear one shot. Overall, the short spear feels a little weak, though. I also played a lot with the halberd and it is a Frontline monster. Feels like a scythe in that you sometimes get a one shot against light armor, but I score a lot of hits by hitting unaware heads from behind. I still like playing archer, but my strategy involves a lot more melee combat with either an arming sword or a long range weapon I manage to find on the battlefield. I'm always searching for other archers to get a nice 1hko on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hakimashou posted:

complains about red and blue colors and 'people get blood on them'

please don't call me out like this
i almost teamkilled way too many blue dudes before i switched to friendly indicators and no teamcolors

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Does anyone remember a video of payday 2 that cut between stealth and loud in the basic bank heist everyone used to farm? It took exactly the same amount of time but people would rather just sit there waiting for drills than actually shooting people.

That's how it feels when I die during some great melee combat and the deathcam shows me an archers pov. How do people actually enjoy playing like that?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i almost teamkilled way too many blue dudes before i switched to friendly indicators and no teamcolors

just team kill them people die a million times it doesnt matter!

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Just don't worry about who you're hitting and apologize in chat as soon as you get a chance. If they get angry over it just keep antagonizing them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gw5qR4fOWw

LETS GO SPARTA

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I do love how it seems somewhat common to see people running around in Frontline with no helmet on. I was pretty bad at this game until I noticed that, now instead of charging into the fray I like to scan the crowd for these guys first and then poke them in the face with a spear, and I can only imagine their surprise when they die to a single poke despite their heavy armor.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I think it's because some of the default loadouts, especially with the zweihander, don't have a helmet.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It's also because fashion is more important than effectiveness every time.

E: you'd better believe that most of my loadouts who aren't t3 armor everywhere are going to be wearing the landshneckt hat/pants once I unlock them. The exceptions will be ones looking for a specific theme

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 27, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

default loadout zweihander guy (brigand?) is wearing the Wanderer's Hood which is a T1.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Babe Magnet posted:

default loadout zweihander guy (brigand?) is wearing the Wanderer's Hood which is a T1.

Still dies to a throwing axe :mrgw:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's not going to protect from much, but he does technically have an armored head

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bz2WZoizYM

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

:five:

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.
yeah i don't see the appeal of not wearing head armor.

i LOVE running into a crowd of dudes with no helmets and popping heads on every swing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hang this in the louvre next to Mona Lisa, this is high art

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/wx6L641.mp4

The more I keep trying it, the more I'm becoming convinced that the Eveningstar is pretty overcosted. If you want the reliable two-hit kill, then the Maul, Executioner's, War Axe, and even Mace do it cheaper and arguably better. And if you want to involve its thrust game you're committing to a three-hit-kill, in which case you could just, like, take the Longsword which does the same at longer range, better speed, no hitstop, and almost half the cost. It's absolutely not a bad weapon as such, and occasionally crushing a lvl 2 helmet in one blow is fun and useful, but it doesn't really strike me being worth more than half your points.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Eveningstar is a two-thrust kill if you stance it. I like it but it's definitely not great and I'd usually rather have a 1hand weapon.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It's not the most killy but it DOES look as cool as gently caress and that's the important thing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Disgusting Coward posted:

It's not the most killy but it DOES look as cool as gently caress and that's the important thing.

Fear factor stat A+

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just got this game and have no idea how to work in feints and chambers in the middle of a messy melee so I just run around with 2/3/1 and two short spears to chuck as javelins at people engaged in fights and then picking up whatever I find on the ground. I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eej posted:

I just got this game and have no idea how to work in feints and chambers in the middle of a messy melee so I just run around with 2/3/1 and two short spears to chuck as javelins at people engaged in fights and then picking up whatever I find on the ground. I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Reduce your armor, take a 3rd short spear, and stab people with that too. The short spear is a great weapon in its own right.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I teamkilled a ton of blues before and AFTER doing that :V

Perestroika posted:

The more I keep trying it, the more I'm becoming convinced that the Eveningstar is pretty overcosted. If you want the reliable two-hit kill, then the Maul, Executioner's, War Axe, and even Mace do it cheaper and arguably better. And if you want to involve its thrust game you're committing to a three-hit-kill, in which case you could just, like, take the Longsword which does the same at longer range, better speed, no hitstop, and almost half the cost. It's absolutely not a bad weapon as such, and occasionally crushing a lvl 2 helmet in one blow is fun and useful, but it doesn't really strike me being worth more than half your points.

You're right, I still love it though... plus all the cosmetics for it are fantastic.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 28, 2019

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What chest piece should I pair with my very poofy sleeves and hat?

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Perestroika posted:

The Eveningstar has good stabs and swings which means it's good at morphing, chambering, and creating awkward chambers for weapons that are not similarly flexible. Mace, maul, and war axe are shorter range and lovely stabs. Executioner's has longer range but really horrible stabs. Having horrible stabs means your weapon sucks at chambering enemy stabs.

Also in tight corridors, low roofs, and/or close teammates, having a weapon that can be useful stabby can help you avoid hitting obstacles that are not your enemy.

Also the executioner's cannot combo, but the eveningstar can. This means if you whiff an attack with the eveningstar, you can still try to combo an attack to try to feint into protecting yourself or take some other action instead of being forced to wait the full whiff duration.

In regards to the longsword, having the ability to 2-hit kill but settling for a 3-hit kill with the regular grip thrust is still good. There's a huge difference between killing someone in 3/3/x armor in a possible minimum of 2 body hits versus the longsword's (regular grip) minimum of 3 hits to the head or body.

I think you could still make arguments in favor of the other weapons versus the eveningstar, especially based on cost and different battle scenarios, but you need to factor in the pros of the eveningstar, too!

No foot-wielded melee weapon in the game can 1-shot a level 2 helmet except for a maul, which is why I think a level 2 helmet is a pretty good breakpoint for protection for most builds.

Edit: Added more observations

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 28, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

2 point hand axe can 1-shot unarmored heads, owns

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Whenever you stop to consider the mace a bargain compared to the evening star (or any weapon)

Always remember the mace deals a meager 65damage headshoting a bare skull.

I love the mace, but hoo boy is it always a disappointment to my muscle memory when landing a headshot leaves someone alive.

Along those lines.

Babe Magnet posted:

2 point hand axe can 1-shot unarmored heads, owns

Mace only costing 4 points means I have more room for his best friend, mister axe! :buddy:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I spent way too much time reimagining my usual halberd build in different color schemes. You can get a lot of mileage by taking inspiration/stealing from real world liveries.

Swiss:

British Racing Green:

Gulf Racing:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Went on a duel server last night and hoo boy, people have been working on their moves much more than me. Used to be that I could hold my own in some duels, get a "GG" out of an enemy after a heated exchange of blows...

now I just die and people don't even bother trying to help or say anything in chat, they just go at you like you're on their same level, murder you in 10 seconds and move on :v:

which is fine, or better it would be if I'd feel I was learning something... but once I got the hang of not panic parrying the thousands of feints they throw at you, well, that's it. I still can't get the hang of the attacking maneuvers, maybe in 20 duels I managed once to hit someone with a morph? And people keep so much pressure on you it's insane, I have to expend all my mental and physical skills just to parry and not get hit, nevermind thinking about offensive moves

the few duels I won, it was by outstamina'ing the other guy due to not making feints or morphs (or just different weapons maybe) and so coming out with more stamina due to just parry/attack/parry/attack and thus disarming him and chopping him to bits - when I managed it. Some guys punched me to death :smith:

actually the most fun I had was against a dude showing off with a quarterstaff and throwing knives, he was good and I learned a lot by not dying in the first 1-2 hits like I did against guys with real weapons

... any tips for dueling? Especially offensively? My reaction times suck, my ping kinda sucks too (60-80 with spikes up to 100) and sometimes I can't even succeed at morphing strikes due to both of those :(

also if someone would just bloody be there on the Goon server in EU times (I'm most often around between 18 and 22, GMT+1) that would be great :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 28, 2019

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExcitedGloriousNuggetsKeyboardCat

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

You could learn to chamber since I don't see the word chamber anywhere in your post. I think chamber is a way to deal w/ feints since if you chamber a feinted attack you now have the initiative and they have to deal with your aggression. If they didn't feint, you chamber and have the initiative still. Drags and morphs might gently caress w/ chamber timing so you have to be watching for that.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

comedyblissoption posted:

You could learn to chamber since I don't see the word chamber anywhere in your post. I think chamber is a way to deal w/ feints since if you chamber a feinted attack you now have the initiative and they have to deal with your aggression. If they didn't feint, you chamber and have the initiative still. Drags and morphs might gently caress w/ chamber timing so you have to be watching for that.

I can't chamber. Sometimes I chamber by accident, mostly stabs.

Usually if I start my own attack when the opponent is still in "feint" time so before the grunt, if they don't feint it just hits me while I'm winding up my own attack. If they do feint, they just block or chamber my own attack. Meanwhile if I start my attack after I hear the grunt, I get hit before I can wind up...

I try to make an effort to chamber at least stabs some of the time, but attacking feels pretty sluggish compared to how quickly people attack me, and the timing window for chambering seems to be incredibly small (might have something to do with my relatively high ping of 60-80 while I see most top-half of the scoreboard people in the 30-50 range, but there's nothing I can do about that except literally move to another house) so if I do the conscious action to attempt a chamber, I fail, it only happens when by sheer luck I attacked just at the right moment because I was going to attack anyways...

also by the time I recognize what kind of slashing attack is coming at me (overhead, horizontal or underhand) it's already too late to chamber. I might just be too slow for this kind of game? It's a definite possibility, I was never great at twitch reflexes, far from it... and playing 1 hour every 2-3 days doesn't help vs. people playing 8hrs/day or whatever

Even if that's the case it's fine, I can still have fun, but I would really, REALLY appreciate some kind of "noob-only" server or ELO matchmaking so I don't get constantly murdered by people - it's like if I had to go swim against Michael Phelps all the time, I mean great and cool but let me at least have a chance of winning by pairing me with amateurs sometimes :mad:

I tried spending an hour or so chambering bots, both in slowmo and normal speed, and I can get it right 50% of the time there, but then I can smash bots effortlessly by now while humans regularly mop the floor with me. :smith:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 28, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

If you wanna be a sweaty poopsocking tryhard-lord, you probably need to get your chamber rate against bots near 100%. Against a bot, turn off damage and stamina (toggledamage and togglestamina) and only chamber their attacks. It's just investing time and training your brain to react. A 50% rate against bots means against a human player you're just gonna die from a bunch of failed chamber attempts. If the bot has a fast hitting weapon like a short sword it's gonna be way harder to chamber, so make sure it has a slower weapon.

Otherwise, just have fun and don't sweat it too much. I think the game is well designed in the sense that losing can be a learning experience in trying to get better at the game.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 28, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

comedyblissoption posted:

If you wanna be a sweaty poopsocking tryhard-lord, you probably need to get your chamber rate against bots near 100%. Against a bot, turn off damage and stamina (toggledamage and togglestamina) and only chamber their attacks. It's just investing time and training your brain to react. A 50% rate against bots means against a human player you're just gonna die from a bunch of failed chamber attempts.

Otherwise, just have fun and don't sweat it too much. I think the game is well designed in the sense that losing can be a learning experience in trying to get better at the game.

I'll try. And for sure I'm still having fun even if I die all the time and so on, who cares, I'm definitely no poopsocker.

But again, I'd love to be able to try fighting against people with similar ability rather than the murdergods that seem to inhabit every duel server, or at least good people that try not to clown on you too hard. The few times I got an opponent which was closer to my level I just had more fun...

I really want that competitive ranked mode (1vs1 to 3vs3, all sound pretty fun) they've been teasing about since the kickstarter... so you could go duel with the murdergods to train and get better, then actually try out your skills with people around your effective level when you want a fair fight :)

I also have to make a dual training sword guy and see if someone is more interested in "helping out" rather than having the highest kill count at the end.

Edit: I once went to a "noob friendly" duel server, but it was a trap and 5-6 shitlords were just waiting to all gang up on noobs entering their server and poo poo all over them. A jolly good time for them, I bet. Gotta love online gaming!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 28, 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I'm at the level where i can handle normal swordfighting but every duel server has one dude who runs directly into your face while doing insane wide swaying drags and i cant even tell what i'm supposed to be parrying

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, there's starting to emerge a bit of a trend with people just full-sprinting into your face while looking at the ground to obscure their attack animations. It's not nearly as bad as in Chiv, but it is starting to get a bit annoying.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the eveningstar is like practice for the maul when you finally unlock it. also it's extremely cathartic clubbing a horsedude in the chest like youre swinging for the fences and then bashing his horse to death

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, there's starting to emerge a bit of a trend with people just full-sprinting into your face while looking at the ground to obscure their attack animations. It's not nearly as bad as in Chiv, but it is starting to get a bit annoying.

Yeah and they get real mad when you tell them they look like Chivalry players when they do it too, lol. Your best best in those situations is to toss out kicks. From what I can tell, they're staring at the ground and can't see them coming. Boot to the face works every time. I'm interested to see what the devs think about curbing this, as Mordhau was created almost specifically as a reaction to poo poo like this in Chiv.

Also chambering is overrated. If someone is chambering the poo poo out of you, let them. Throw out easy swings, stay on the defensive, and their stamina will be gone in no time.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah and they get real mad when you tell them they look like Chivalry players when they do it too, lol. Your best best in those situations is to toss out kicks. From what I can tell, they're staring at the ground and can't see them coming. Boot to the face works every time.

Also chambering is overrated. If someone is chambering the poo poo out of you, let them. Throw out easy swings, stay on the defensive, and their stamina will be gone in no time.

I've noticed that many people, also murdergod duel people, forget about kicks. It's probably not "pro" enough for them to kick people that facehug / rush you, and it's an eminently punishable move if you mess up, but it's very effective (well if you can behead them with an axe first that might be even better, but hey).

And yeah, chambers and feints alone aren't all that hot - great vs medium-skill and low-skill people respectively, really, especially in duels... once I got the hang of people feinting me, I would just wait for them to waste their stamina and then just parry+riposte a few actual strikes to have them out of stamina and weaponless :) chambering is potentially more difficult to neutralize, though as far as I can see if you recognize the enemy has chambered, you always have enough time to parry or chamber back.

what really fucks you over are the people that can mix up things well: feint, "feint" with footwork and body movement (that's the worst since it costs no stamina), dodge horizontal blows by ducking and looking up (I NEED to learn to do that, it looks super cool), chamber and morph at will, drag and accel perfectly etc.

the fact that most people use big 2HK or similar weapons also means you don't have much space for trial-and-error, either you get lucky and survive enough to at least give them a tiny bit of trouble, or you get cut down quite quickly