Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have to exercise 45 minutes a day every day for the next 31 days. :great:

I got 3010 minutes total, which is 97 every day. Where does it get these things from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Froist posted:

I got 3010 minutes total, which is 97 every day. Where does it get these things from?

I think it goes off your normal workouts and pushes it a little.

I normally workout like 70-90 min a day but I do skip days.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Wipe and restore.

How is this done? Never done it before on a watch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How is this done? Never done it before on a watch.

Like every other “power” feature: with the companion phone app.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just un-pair and re-pair it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
I got my knockoff sport bands today! They are very good quality for knockoffs, just some slight detail imperfections. The material and finish are nice, and they are comfortable. The flashblack one is not quite what I expected, but I love it!

I was expecting flashblack to be black with the neon yellow flashlight colour as an accent, but it’s black with transparent reflective accents. When it is in flat lighting, it looks black, but if it catches some direct light, it has a subtle glow reflection.

I am so happy with the four I ordered, I’m considering grabbing a few more colours. And happily, my daughter tried my watch with one and says she will wear her watch with one of those bands, so it won’t just be sitting in her nightstand weeping.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are the transparent parts glow in the dark? I have some knockoff bands that do that and it wasn’t even something that they were listed as doing.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are the transparent parts glow in the dark? I have some knockoff bands that do that and it wasn’t even something that they were listed as doing.

No, no glow in the dark parts. My knockoff Nike silicone has the Flashlight parts that glow, but none of the fabric bands I got do. The brand I got is Crested.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

1600 exercise minutes this month to get the May award. Alrighty then

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

1600 exercise minutes this month to get the May award. Alrighty then

My April was 1884 exercise minutes. Got it :boom:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I'm so lazy my watch doesn't even bother giving me goals.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Are third party chargers for the watch like they are for the iPhone, where there’s a high chance you’ll end up with a garbage charging cable? I need to get a second charging cable for a work trip next week.

Was going to pick up an Apple one from Amazon but there are a lot of reviews from people saying they got a fake charger. I’ll pick one up from BestBuy unless there’s a recommended third party charger

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LordOfThePants posted:

Are third party chargers for the watch like they are for the iPhone, where there’s a high chance you’ll end up with a garbage charging cable? I need to get a second charging cable for a work trip next week.

Was going to pick up an Apple one from Amazon but there are a lot of reviews from people saying they got a fake charger. I’ll pick one up from BestBuy unless there’s a recommended third party charger

Best Buy’s Insignia watch chargers are MFI-certified and fine. I keep their tiny 12” one in my work/travel bag all the time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Best Buy’s Insignia watch chargers are MFI-certified and fine. I keep their tiny 12” one in my work/travel bag all the time.

Yeah I would say either that one or the official apple one from a legit site.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got the Insignia one for like $12 on sale. I didn’t realize it’s within like $5 of the real one now.

That might sway my decision, especially if you care about dock compatibility or anything, cause the Insignia is chunky.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Well I just realized that Sleep Cycle doesn't even use Apple Watch data for sleep analysis. Auto Sleep is highly rated but it looks like it doesn't even have a "smart" alarm. Pillow seems to be the best in terms of replicating Sleep Cycles' functionality with actual watch analytics. Any thoughts?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sleep Cycle has a watch app that does its own tracking, but it is a battery murderer.

I only used it for a couple nights, it wasn't that great.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

xzzy posted:

Sleep Cycle has a watch app that does its own tracking, but it is a battery murderer.

I only used it for a couple nights, it wasn't that great.

Is it a different app? The regular old Sleep Cycle definitely just reflects what's on your iPhone. I'm also annoyed with it because it's no longer providing haptic feedback as an alarm for some reason.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sleep cycle does have a watch companion app but it needs to be manually enabled every night and it kinda sucks. AutoSleep is automatic but it just passively tracks your sleep and has no alarm component.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sleepzy perhaps?

It does have a smart alarm and an Apple Watch app, but I wound up going back to Sleep Cycle. Turns out I cared more about the alarm than the sleep tracking, and I like SC's alarm better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was indecisive on alarms but ultimate ended getting a puppy and turns out puppies make excellent alarms.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I don’t have it and absolutely can’t vouch for it (and it doesn’t have a ton of stars on the App Store) but the AutoSleep people have a companion app called AutoWake to do the smart alarm clock bit.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
After a few nights and a few naps, I've settled on Pillow. IMO it's far and away the best of them all (though a lot of it is nitpicky poo poo most people don't care about). Most importantly, it actually uses your watch accelerometer to track sleep. Didn't try AutoWake, but no smart wake-up was the deal-breaker for me with AutoSleep. Strange they didn't just include that in the regular app as an option, as it was a very solid app.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
(cross posting from the Apps thread)

Anyone use the sleep app Pillow? It seems to be one of the only Apple Watch apps that actually uses the accelerometer (Sleep Cycle for instance requires the phone by your bed and watch support is simply stop and snooze).

Anyways, the "smart wake-up" feature has never once worked for me. It wakes me up at the exact time I set my alarm. All settings seem correct, ideas?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
How do I turn off that stupid loving clippy prompt that started with the new OS every time I’m walking somewhere and it’s like HEY I NOTICED THAT YOU’RE WORKING OUT

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cowofwar posted:

How do I turn off that stupid loving clippy prompt that started with the new OS every time I’m walking somewhere and it’s like HEY I NOTICED THAT YOU’RE WORKING OUT

It goes off a prolonged elevated heart rate. Maybe if walking does that you should look into that friend.

It’s in the watch app on your phone.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

It goes off a prolonged elevated heart rate. Maybe if walking does that you should look into that friend.

It’s in the watch app on your phone.

My resting heart rate is like 40 so machines hate me

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Walking is literally a workout on the watch, so it’s less about heart rate and more about prolonged walking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's definitely dependent in some way on heartrate and/or gps distance. Because it never suggests I'm working out while mowing the lawn, but is super willing to trigger if I go for a walk at lunch and I'm covering several blocks of distance, even though my HR never really climbs.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Finally bit the bullet after wanting an apple watch from the beginning, but now it’s motivated by health concerns

I’m 5 days after surgery and I want to use it to track my bpm, effort, diet or whatever else I can.

I rationalized the purchase after feeling pressure in my ears after some brisk walks, I guess it’s low blood pressure/high bpm but i want the DATA to validate it!

As far as I can tell, everything I need is pretty covered by the basics (notifications, bpm and workouts by the health app)

For calorie tracking to check my protein and water intake seems YAZIO is the way to go.

I know it’s probably the most asked question around, but any other must have health apps (for non-US residents)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, after 7 months, my replacement watch's battery has expanded and popped the screen out, too! That this happened at almost the same time as my iPhone is pretty weird, too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Endless Mike posted:

Well, after 7 months, my replacement watch's battery has expanded and popped the screen out, too! That this happened at almost the same time as my iPhone is pretty weird, too.

Do you keep them on the dash of your car during the day or something? Over a radiator at night? Do you just run that hot?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking for an Apple Watch and came across this deal; https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264236405169

Thoughts? Anything I should look out for that might make this a bad deal? At that price I’m skeptical and so wanted to check in with much smarter people than myself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Looking for an Apple Watch and came across this deal; https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264236405169

Thoughts? Anything I should look out for that might make this a bad deal? At that price I’m skeptical and so wanted to check in with much smarter people than myself.

That’s a good deal. I’d jump on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you keep them on the dash of your car during the day or something? Over a radiator at night? Do you just run that hot?
Nope. Nothing I'd consider out of the ordinary. Like I was in Mexico the week before, but it was only high 80s there, so not even unusually hot. Anyway, the Apple Store told me it wasn't actually a swollen battery so it would be a $250 repair (AppleCare is long expired). I instead just opted to buy an S4 and they were nice enough to give me a $100 discount since I couldn't even trade the thing in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Just note that even though it says “manufacturer refurbished”, it’s a used/seller refurbished product and it may not have an Apple warranty anymore or may have been repair with 3rd party parts.

Edit: it even comes with a 3rd party box, band and charger. I would stay away.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 28, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Just note that even though it says “manufacturer refurbished”, it’s a used/seller refurbished product and it may not have an Apple warranty anymore or may have been repair with 3rd party parts.

Edit: it even comes with a 3rd party box, band and charger. I would stay away.

Speaking of weird gray market stuff, something similar happened to me at Best Buy. They were running a big sale on Series 1 watches three years ago, wherein you could get one at a deep discount with the purchase of a new phone. I bought one on a whim, thinking I’d give it to my girlfriend or sister, but ended up keeping it for myself when neither of them wanted it.

A few years later, my battery life tanked, so I sent it into Apple for the $80 battery replacement. A week later, it came back saying that they wouldn’t service the watch since it had a third-party replacement display, thus voiding the warranty and rendering it ineligible for service. It’s a weird situation because if I recall correctly, Best Buy was selling it as a new, not refurbished, watch.

Anyhow, it was weird and I filed a complaint with Best Buy, which I’m sure is flowing down the wind tunnel to nowhere. Whatever the case, I’m enjoying my new Series 4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I decided to just buy myself a series 4 directly from Apple. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006