Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes oh my god. I've wanted to not hear those loving drums for two years

Square let me pick my own main menu music

I keep wishing they'll let me go back to using the HW title screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If the leaks are real and the only spender on the tokens is another "Party wide 3 or 6% dps buff" then these card are entirely loving pointless and a really heavy handed way to deal with some of he buffs being situationally useful, esp. since the Minor arcana seem to just do the exact same poo poo as the main cards.

It's conceptually boring and makes the card busywork seem wholly unrewarding when you're just pushing 20 buttons to get a ~5% buff on a few people at a time.
Yeah, even if you can make the argument that half of the cards are effectively +DPS anyway, at least they function a little differently and have different considerations in how you play them. Turning everything into balance and leading up to an automatic spread balance is an incredibly unexciting take on AST

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saigyouji posted:

Because the Garleans are imperialists who stole the Ala Mhigan anthem when they invaded, like imperialists tend to do.

yeah I felt like Stormblood made it pretty clear that "rewrite your culture to fit our needs" was garlean SOP

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, even if you can make the argument that half of the cards are effectively +DPS anyway, at least they function a little differently and have different considerations in how you play them. Turning everything into balance and leading up to an automatic spread balance is an incredibly unexciting take on AST

It's just so loving boring too. Like the RNG aspect of AST was at least kind of fun cause like "Well I didn't get what I wanted but I can make that into a buff for my next cart to either make it way better or mitigate not getting what I want a bit" instead of "You're drawing cards that are going to pre-selected classes and the cap for it the same thing but on everyone but maybe worse if RNG fucks you". Like why even have the rng at that point? It doesn't lead to anything interesting, in a pre-made you're always gonna have 1 person that fits any card you draw.

It makes the card system, which was the core character of the class for 2 expacs feel weirdly vestigial. And I'd be fine with that if they just cut it and make sects and sect swaping more of a thing but their solution to that is "Just give you C/Ds to get both buffs and still not worry about swapping stances" so who loving knows.

I just don't know what they were going for with these AST changes cause it just smoothed out all the interesting bits alongside the weird foibles the class had.

What I'm saying is my heart goes out to all the MCH mains who enjoyed the class before 5.0. I know your pain.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 27, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Wasn't this also supposed to be the expansion where they were going to fix up healers so that making a fourth would work? Because I'm starting to fear we may never actually see that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zoig posted:

So, is anyone else looking forward to hearing the main theme to shadowbringers? After revolutions Im really looking forward to having a good one again.

Revolutions was good imho.

I'm looking forward to every quest turn-in not ending with "LIKE FOLGERS IN YOUR CUUUUUUUUP"

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Zoig posted:

Wasn't this also supposed to be the expansion where they were going to fix up healers so that making a fourth would work? Because I'm starting to fear we may never actually see that.

This is the expansion where nothing changes and they follow the exact same formula as Stormblood.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
so much doom and gloom over questionable leaks of things from old builds with no knowledge of what encounter design is gonna be like

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Gorelab posted:

Another potential change I'm not sure about is the Ninja skill that eats suiton for ninki just because that just feels like it'd be both dull and probably fairly clippy.

That skill seems to be purely for use with TCJ, seems they really want you to do Fuma > Raiton > Suiton for TCJ. So you'd do that, then next oGCD eat your suiton buff for some ninki if it's not TA time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

if that's how AST shakes out it's definitely killed a bit of my enthusiasm for playing it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I kinda... like those new AST cards. Royal Road was stupid in practice because it had one right answer 99% of the time. 2 cards were bad, 1 a coin flip, and 1 too situational.

I don't think they could find 6 good effects, that would all be comparable with 4 competing Royal Road arrangements.

Most of the flavour has been distilled from each card's effect, but we still have some added with the celestial arrangements. And there is still some level of decision making between giving the appropriate person a card or Minoring it.

I'll wait and see but I'm not distraught over them.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

somepartsareme posted:

so much doom and gloom over questionable leaks of things from old builds with no knowledge of what encounter design is gonna be like

I'm doomy and gloomy about the MCH rework. I liked how fiddly the class was.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

queeb posted:

if that's how AST shakes out it's definitely killed a bit of my enthusiasm for playing it.

same tbh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fister Roboto posted:

Revolutions was good imho.

I'm looking forward to every quest turn-in not ending with "LIKE FOLGERS IN YOUR CUUUUUUUUP"

oh thank christ it's not just me who heard that from day one I thought I was losing my loving mind

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Krabboss posted:

I'm doomy and gloomy about the MCH rework. I liked how fiddly the class was.

My opinion is I liked ammo, and wildfire and heat are both decent ideas but wildfire and heat at the same time was too much and they should have picked one or the other for SB. But I'm also 10000% down with a robot.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I kinda... like those new AST cards.

Same here. What's made AST fun for me was never the fiddly minutiae of mentally calculating out bonuses and card probabilities based off of my draws (which still ultimately boiled down to "fish for Balance"), but rather the speed of execution required to get the most out of it. Unless they make Malefic go back to being 2.5s, I'm still going to play the class, because it's otherwise preserved that core aspect while smoothing over what was largely a flawed system that was more akin to a slot machine than a card game.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'll probably be down with it as long as there's another spender for the seals? But as is it seems super dull to me, yeah.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Oh man dancer looks like RDM's rng with bard's team utility and I love it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gorelab posted:

I'll probably be down with it as long as there's another spender for the seals? But as is it seems super dull to me, yeah.

Here's the question I want to pose: what would be as valuable as 6% partywide damage that would make it a legitimate choice instead of a false one?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vermain posted:

Here's the question I want to pose: what would be as valuable as 6% partywide damage that would make it a legitimate choice instead of a false one?

I don't think anything would cut it. It would have to be an absurd regen or shield. Something good enough to skip mechanics to balance the dps cost.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
The damage buff has a 180s cooldown, so the opportunity cost of spending them on something else is just risking getting unlucky, not the whole 6%. But it would also cannibalize the minor arcana mechanic, so I doubt they really did that.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
In savage raiding, three cards have value and three cards do nothing but waste everybody's time. Bole, Ewer, and especially Spire have no place when practicing consistent play and any value that is derived out of them is due to a stopgap for a failure to execute.

"People aren't perfect 100% of the time" maybe, but then how often do you make dead draws into Ewer to fix somebody's MP deficit after multiple raises? If you had a redraw/sleeve draw available and chose to play Ewer instead of fishing for a DPS card if the person who raised would have stabilized without losing any additional damage uptime, that's a bad play.

So, what about non-Savage gameplay? Well, Spire restores a flat amount of TP. It's on average a slightly positive rebate for exactly (1) use of an AOE GCD, or a refund on (2) uses. Ewer has a slightly better refresh rate, but Magic DPS should never come remotely close to running dry on AOE pulls, so this ultimately just ends up being the same kind of return Spire grants for PhysDPS but for Healers using AOE GCDs.

Bole has marginally higher value to make up for a lack of healing output, but if your Bole doesn't stop what would have otherwise been lethal damage or changed how many times you needed to GCD heal a player, what was the point?

In general, the 3 non-DPS cards are goofy psychological bandaids for imaginary problems and the RNG nature of cards meant that they could never be relied upon for anything but a hilariously inconsistent means of occasionally saving a pull once in a blue moon, but realistically just represented downtime between your next DPS-boosting AST card and/or introduced variability in how much rDPS your cards contributed because you somehow ended up needing to Royal Road a Bole instead of a Spire/Ewer.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

spent all that time memorizing what card does what and now they take it away from me the cowards

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zoig posted:

I dont think healers will be broken in the sense that balancing them will be nightmarish anymore and the rework fits their paradigm of what a healer should be doing. The problem I personally have with the paradigm is that its boring as all hell to solo with them because all the healing and utility that you have is nearly useless while doing it. They would have to straight up have to add some optional trait that completely alter your kit to be more offensive oriented so that I can actually take it as my first class in the expansion.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This implementation of ast cards is fine with me, if they want to keep the random order of you drawing them. The other way would've been to have the cards as buffs you hit with random potencies to reflect the draw mechanic.

Granted I'm not a healer person but I've always loved asts animations so cards being something you no longer really have to think about is really good for me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Kelandiir/status/1133071917835988992?s=19

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Don't remember if I already posted this one.

I forgot to get Trick Attack, but it was just like 500 potency on positioning instead of 400.

And someone's weird dog in Shadowbringers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Lots of really dumb conversations and arguments happening in this thread right now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Lots of really dumb conversations and arguments happening in this thread right now.
I think it's cool how many posters have gift of ESP.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's cool how many posters have gift of ESP.

actually, it's Clear Voyance

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Claire Voyance is a pretty good name.

e:
One smallish thing I'm hoping for is more interesting beast tribe quests. Although I might just be annoyed about the SB ones right now because the kojin are terminally boring.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 27, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

somepartsareme posted:

Good back down from your initial post, but you're right maybe the card system isn't just tiny bad DPS boosts.

But also they've confirmed RR and Spread are gone so my big post about what made the cards fun/interesting completely changing is still accurate.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 27, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Nice to see that, assuming that's correct, the channel for greased lightning is on a short enough cd to be used pretty much every time there's downtime. Would it work out of combat before a fight, or does it require at least one stack to work? I feel like its probably the latter but the former would be neat.

Also do we have any idea what 4 stacks of GL would do for tornado kick? I really cant wait until Wednesday so I can get clear understanding of things.

I do however find it pretty funny that I care very little about my main, dragoon. It just looks like they just took the stuff it already had and made it a bit better, so I'm happy enough to not care until I get clear answers.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm kinda caught between NIN and SAM for a DPS main and I'm curious if TCJ is being changed at all. It's not as bad as it seems when you first get it but it's still amazingly clunky.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gorelab posted:

I'm kinda caught between NIN and SAM for a DPS main and I'm curious if TCJ is being changed at all. It's not as bad as it seems when you first get it but it's still amazingly clunky.

It seems like the only change is it doesn't use ninki

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

It seems like the only change is it doesn't use ninki

Oof. I'm legit surprised Hagakure seems to be dead and TCJ lives mostly as is if leaks are right just because TCJ always felt way more clunky.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Good back down from your initial post, but you're right maybe the card system isn't just tiny bad DPS boosts.

But also they've confirmed RR and Spread are gone so my big post about what made the cards fun/interesting completely changing is still accurate.

lol im not "backing down", i basically agree with emalde's effort post about it. you obviously shouldnt throw away damage cards but there's no situation in which balance isn't what you're fishing for

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 28, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

One of my two wishes for DRG was to get some way to keep Blood up outside of battle or during downtime. Dammit monks.

They needed it too, though, I can't really begrudge them that.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Its not as big a deal now as it used to be, and it will matter even less by shadowbringers, since all life gives you is nastrond and nothing else, and blood is on a 30 second cooldown. If its correct that from now on it only needs 2 eyes to activate it only really takes 30 seconds and in dungeons that's enough time to get there and kill a mob with it, and in raids you can keep it going for a extra 20 seconds on top of whatever time you have stacked by just recasting at the last few seconds, or just do it before you do your fang or wheel to get to maximum quickly again.

Honestly I never really had problems with blood after they reduced the count to 3, but the new changes look like as long as you don't sleep at the keyboard you should be good to at least do blood every fight no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Saigyouji posted:

Because the Garleans are imperialists who stole the Ala Mhigan anthem when they invaded, like imperialists tend to do.

This fact was revealed to me in the middle of the triumphant "Lyse walks through town and nods at literally everyone" cutscene as the Ala Mhigan version of it plays, and that combined with the fact that the Garlean version is performed by a military choir and the Ala Mhigan version is obviously sung by a crowd just knocked me over. It's a great moment.