Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The arming distance for some DD torps is loving ridiculous. Yesterday I was in a similar situation as NerdyMcNerdNerd, trying to ram a DD with my carrier as I was out of planes and sure I was gonna die anyway. I was literally within touching distance of him when he shot a full spread of torps into my face, all of which armed ~immediately and killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
That's what the Shima was trying to do to me when I backed over him in the Enterprise. I get salty about that stupid poo poo but it matters so rarely it is hard to care too much.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If a DD manages to get within arms length of you they deserve it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

existing as a CV means you deserve anything anybody else can do to you

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

It's mostly frustrating when you're another DD and you think you're just inside the arm distance but nope.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A DD who die to a CV's secondaries a shameful DD.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't see anything ridiculous about ships being able to torpedo you from 500 meters away, the moral of the story is to not get within 500 meters of a ship that has torpedoes.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
500 meters was the recommended torpedo release distance early in WW2. Almost no destroyer captain ever actually did or even attempted that, though, because it was utterly suicidal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The new German supercruiser is more or less a T9 Gneisenau with less armour riding higher in the water

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Redeye Flight posted:

500 meters was the recommended torpedo release distance early in WW2. Almost no destroyer captain ever actually did or even attempted that, though, because it was utterly suicidal.

Torpedos are so ahistorical it doesn't matter. A battle like what happens in wows would start with every ship dumping their torps into the ocean to avoid them getting hit by a shell, exploding and sinking the ship.

I want to say most ships need a tender or port facilities to reload their torps.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

FatCow posted:

Torpedos are so ahistorical it doesn't matter. A battle like what happens in wows would start with every ship dumping their torps into the ocean to avoid them getting hit by a shell, exploding and sinking the ship.

I want to say most ships need a tender or port facilities to reload their torps.

Most US dd's at least carried one reload. Storage space was the main concern.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Captain, the sailors drank all our torpedoes.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FatCow posted:

The IJN most assuredly didn't dump their torpedoes before battle - just ask Chokai. World of Warships did have critical hits/detonations occur when loaded torpedo racks were hit once upon a time, but this was done away with since the sensible, torpedo-less American cruisers ended up dunking on everyone else too hard.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Complications posted:

...the sensible, torpedo-less American cruisers ended up dunking on everyone else too hard.

historically accurate

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This has been the story of tonight. 0/5.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
If you shot anything with as much HE as it takes to kill a battleship in world of warships it would probably stop working faster than the battleship dies, but this is a videogame and nobody wants to spend the entire match unable to spot anything or shoot their guns because a random cruiser hit your radar with a shell that was equally likely to miss by half a mile.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm trying to imagine a player's reaction if they were put in command of Scharnhorst at the Battle of North Cape.

"Are you loving KIDDING me? The FIRST HIT knocks out the loving radar, and now I can't shoot anything? What the gently caress is this bullshit!"

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm trying to imagine a player's reaction if they were put in command of Scharnhorst at the Battle of North Cape.

"Are you loving KIDDING me? The FIRST HIT knocks out the loving radar, and now I can't shoot anything? What the gently caress is this bullshit!"

IJN Taiho:

*Takes a torpedo hit, flooding*

*Player activates Repair Party consumable*

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Today has done a lot to solidify my opinion of carriers being really stupid for both sides.

From the surface ship side:

-Spotting is hot garbage.
-AAA skills are largely ineffective at providing enough AAA to actually feel worthwhile on 85% of the ships you can take them on.
-Sectors are pointless micro that largely don't matter unless you have a bunch of skills, and they're more annoying than engaging.
-Dodging airplanes frequently means giving broadside to battleships aiming you from 20km; this will get better with addition of the Poedbabadadascobopdewoo
-CVs doing the vast majority of their damage through DOTs encourages them to focus one target over and over again.
-Because of how AAA works, bottom tier ships will almost always get focused. Ditto DDs, and isolated ships trying to provide crossfire.
-No contest of skill with the CV.
-Nobody uses fighters because of how stupid their deployment/use is and how short the duration.

From the CV side:
-AAA feels completely schizophrenic. It seldom feels like I have any solid idea how much damage will be incoming, and this isn't really helped by the random nature of flak and unavoidable continuous damage.
-Flak is the most annoying poo poo in the world. I cannot tell you how many times I've accidentally strayed into the max range of a ship's AAA only to have a single flak cloud immediately yellow half the planes in a squad. It never feels like I'm dodging poo poo, no matter what I do with my throttle.
-The nature of flak/continuous AAA damage heavily favors the Midway over the Hak.
-All your damage relating to DOTs means that if the DOTs don't happen ( or you're playing a large map with lots of travel time ), you're doing no damage. I've had eighteen torpedo hits for one flood.
-If the enemy team blobs together, you might as well just delete your planes. :allears:
-Please God a better visual indication of DAA activation ( but also make DAA stronger to compensate ).

It is amazing to me how they did a great job of making the gameplay fun and dynamic and more involving, but also incredibly loving frustrating from both sides.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

The teir 10 bb Podesta seems like a remarkably bad idea, even for the retards at wargaming

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So should i be spending my tokens on soviet crates if the camos don't interest me? Not sure if I will even end up with 1500 for the premium.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

So should i be spending my tokens on soviet crates if the camos don't interest me? Not sure if I will even end up with 1500 for the premium.

do they have to be spent by the time the patch drops? I currently have 1495 so like one game would get me a Lazo.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Tokens turn into credits tomorrow I think.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Complications posted:

existing as a CV means you deserve anything anybody else can do to you

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

DonkeyHotay posted:

do they have to be spent by the time the patch drops? I currently have 1495 so like one game would get me a Lazo.

The Lazo is a lot of fun, well worth getting.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/btz69x/plans_for_introducing_aircraft_preparation_time/

TLDR;

WG decides that the 45 second time nerf for launching planes is boring for CVs, so decides to move all ships closer to cap points, mulls making speed boost for planes start at zero and have to charge up on launch, possibly making a 20 second timer for plane launches, and move cv spawns farther back somewhere.

:munch:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

One thing I am constantly struggling with is how little awareness of anything pubbies have.

Yesterday I was in a game with a Bismarck who spent the entire game camping at max gun range. Now, this is nothing new of course, but after the game I went and checked, and this motherfucker has 136 games in the Bismarck (and a win percentage of 41%), and in these 136 games he never realized that the loving thing is built to be a brawler with amazing secondaries, weapon accuracy that favours shooting from closer range and armour that is mostly vulnerable to plunging fire from distance?

Like how the gently caress can you play 136 games in a boat and not get a single clue about how to play the loving thing? What it's suitable for? What it's not? I mean I guess that's how you end up in a 41% win rate Bismarck with an average of 14,5k damage per game. It's almost impressive.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Der Shovel posted:

One thing I am constantly struggling with is how little awareness of anything pubbies have.

Yesterday I was in a game with a Bismarck who spent the entire game camping at max gun range. Now, this is nothing new of course, but after the game I went and checked, and this motherfucker has 136 games in the Bismarck (and a win percentage of 41%), and in these 136 games he never realized that the loving thing is built to be a brawler with amazing secondaries, weapon accuracy that favours shooting from closer range and armour that is mostly vulnerable to plunging fire from distance?

Like how the gently caress can you play 136 games in a boat and not get a single clue about how to play the loving thing? What it's suitable for? What it's not? I mean I guess that's how you end up in a 41% win rate Bismarck with an average of 14,5k damage per game. It's almost impressive.

I mean, easily. The game does a terrible job of telling you this - like where in the game UI can you even tell that German HE pen is 1/4 instead of 1/6? You have to dig to find the secondary range listed under Artillery, and especially if you spent time dying when you got in too close in lower tiers then you maybe rarely ever get in range to use them anyway, so you'd never even notice they worked well. The game is AWFUL at presenting its mechanics to anyone. Only grognards like us who talk about it online with big groups of people and watch Youtube content about it ever learn all of these stupid details.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Loky11 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/btz69x/plans_for_introducing_aircraft_preparation_time/

TLDR;

WG decides that the 45 second time nerf for launching planes is boring for CVs, so decides to move all ships closer to cap points, mulls making speed boost for planes start at zero and have to charge up on launch, possibly making a 20 second timer for plane launches, and move cv spawns farther back somewhere.

WG posted:

we plan to do this around the autumn updates.

Good to know there's no point thinking of re-installing during the summer.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Loky11 posted:

TLDR;

Not sure how I feel about that but at least they're trying I guess?

Der Shovel posted:

I've lost a non-zero amount of games because my teammates didn't realize the enemy CV had AP bombs and just sat there until they got exploding metal Van Helsinged through their hull-heart.

Awareness is a hell of a thing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

toadee posted:

The game is AWFUL at presenting its mechanics to anyone.

Well that's certainly true, and takes me back to the old RTS carrier days, when the game didn't explain alt dropping, strafing or any of the other carrier mechanics anywhere and you were just supposed to pick them up through osmosis.

Even now they do an awful job of explaining when you should use HE vs AP in general.

But even without knowing all that stuff, you'd think in 136 games you'd notice German guns are absolutely hopeless at long range. I figured out after a single digit number of games in my Gneisenau (after not playing German BBs for months) that firing from anything approaching maximum range is a fool's errand.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 28, 2019

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
CV chat:

I figured out why my Midway's stats were head and shoulders above every other ship. The numbers are still small for a sample size, but my Audacious winrate has plummeted to sub 50% over 30 games, my Enterprise and Hak remain 54%-58% ( depending ), and the Midway sticks at around 65-70%.

Besides the fact that the Midway's toolbox is superior for high average damage and hitting any given target, there's this:

If the enemy team does this? There's no 'skill' that I can use as a CV to mitigate that. My planes will be ripped to shreds. I will run out of planes. The only thing I can do is fly across the map and poop on the German battleship ( which is doing nothing ) while contributing nothing to my team, while the enemy CV gets to pick off targets at his leisure.

I could target the Yamato and Montana as well, but the attack path would shred the lion's share of my planes as they reset for second attack, and/or shred them as they climbed to return to the carrier.

In a situation where you must trade planes for damage, the Midway is hands down the best tier 10 CV. Of course, sometimes the blob is such that you can't even brush the flak radius without your entire squad exploding so :allears:

High tier CV gameplay is so goddamn dumb right now

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

1. We lost, thanks you useless pubbie fucks.
2. We could've won if our cowardly poo poo of a Roon hadn't been hiding in an island in the corner and would've helped me against the Hindenburg who found me and attacked me. Of course he finally found his nutsack to steal my fifth kill after I'd burned the Hindenburg down to 170 HP and was lining up the attack run. If we'd killed the Hindenburg before he killed me, I would've had ample time to murder the last enemy Montana.
3. I got reported for "not spotting enough" (abandoning being the only loving guy defending two caps and flying across the map to spot a murderball) and thus being a bad CV player.

And also the Midway is by miles and miles the best T10 CV. The torpedo planes aren't good but who gives a poo poo when Tiny Tims and HE bombers are just loving murder on everything.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The other CVs need something to make them unique and on the par of the Midway. The British CV could have the planes buffed enough to make them tankier, and the Japanese planes could stand to be faster or more plentiful or something. The AP bombers are great, but they die so hard.

The Hak is the CV that requires the most skill and it is also the CV that is most easily neutered by circumstance.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

lol no, the answer is not to buff the other two T10 CVs into monstrous sky terrors

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The other CVs need something to make them unique and on the par of the Midway. The British CV could have the planes buffed enough to make them tankier, and the Japanese planes could stand to be faster or more plentiful or something. The AP bombers are great, but they die so hard.

The Hak is the CV that requires the most skill and it is also the CV that is most easily neutered by circumstance.

T10 Shinano, comes with 60 Ohka human torpedoes that don't replenish.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

toadee posted:

lol no, the answer is not to buff the other two T10 CVs into monstrous sky terrors

Not really what I was driving at

Giving the Aud the ability to 'tank' would make some degree of sense as it has the lowest potential raw damage, and the lowest speed. This would make it pretty good for striking at clumps of dense ships that the other CVs wouldn't be able to deal with.

The Hak's planes are extremely frail and the rocket planes are entirely worthless. The torpedo planes are pretty good, but the DBs are in a weird spot where they can, in theory, do good burst damage, but in practice, the amount of positioning you have to do to get them in position combined with their frailness makes them very ???

So the only way the Hak's DBs really work is if you drop squads as soon as you launch them, and then use the sling-shot method to scoot them past AAA as a one-shot throw away weapon.

I've resisted using the sling shot method forever because it feels cheap and stupid but I'm not really seeing a reason not to, now.

The problem is that tweaking the CVs and AAA around tier 10 would mean they ran roughshod over tier 8 and 9 so

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Anybody tried the 3x4 Hak torp bombers post patch?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

DonkeyHotay posted:

Anybody tried the 3x4 Hak torp bombers post patch?

Their PTS notes said they were going to be deleted entirely after they couldn't find a good way to balance stealth torping. I didn't check if that actually happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, what's the general rule of thumb for when you should be shooting HE or AP?