Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Not having the original itemization is a mercy, spirit on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

City of Heroes is back, so good MMOs live again :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Harrow posted:

City of Heroes is back, so good MMOs live again :v:

I liked playing as a mastermind in city of villains because it was less effort.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
just wait until the ultimate wow killer arrives to slay battle for azeroth, wow classic

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Minrad posted:

just wait until the ultimate wow killer arrives to slay battle for azeroth, wow classic
WoW classic has slain itself by being WoW classic.

"I want to do the same tedious thing that consumed massive amounts of my time and led to nothing but 15 years later"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did everyone who talks about old wow like that never play an mmo before it? because i played launch wow and it was a cakewalk compared to anything else.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

did everyone who talks about old wow like that never play an mmo before it? because i played launch wow and it was a cakewalk compared to anything else.
My point is more we've all already played WoW classic. We all know that the journey is mundane and the end result isn't worth the time invested. Maybe some people will get a nostalgia high and play with a fun group of people, but there's not a whole lot else to hope for there.

Yes, it was less grindy and a streamlined experience at the time. Outside of the launch window where it was ultra laggy, crashed a lot, and had tons of people in every area. I'm not comparing WoW classic to DAoC/AO/EQ/RO. I'm comparing it to spending your time on this earth on other activities and 2019 titles.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 27, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm hyped for wow classic going the wildstar route and the drama that'll produce.

Unlike wildstar, it'll probably hold a few nostalgic people and their friends who pay the sub anyway, but I don't see it being successful enough for blizzard to bother too long with it, seeing how free versions of classic wow already exist and can barely hold ~10k players online.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Khorne posted:

My point is more we've all already played WoW classic. We all know that the journey is mundane and the end result isn't worth the time invested. Maybe some people will get a nostalgia high and play with a fun group of people, but there's not a whole lot else to hope for there.

Yes, it was less grindy and a streamlined experience at the time. Outside of the launch window where it was ultra laggy, crashed a lot, and had tons of people in every area. I'm not comparing WoW classic to DAoC/AO/EQ/RO. I'm comparing it to spending your time on this earth on other activities and 2019 titles.

i didn't mean to call you out specifically it's just something i saw a lot of when classic was announced. i only played pre-burning crusade so i have no idea what the game is like now but it was funny when they posted all the classic features people were reporting as bugs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WoW Classic is a way better game than current WoW.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I just wish respeccing wasnt so loving expensive for classic WoW, I've gotten so used to changing talents/traits easily in games like GW2 and ESO

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khorne posted:

uhhh what?

Welcome to the thread and please check out all the people who say modern MMOs suck and don't satisfy in the way old MMOs did. They may have been grindy but "the end result isn't worth the time invested" is hilariously inaccurate. Proper mmos are extremely fun and definitely worth the time invested, because you make friendships and don't just increase numbers in a single player game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Truga posted:

I'm hyped for wow classic going the wildstar route and the drama that'll produce.

Unlike wildstar, it'll probably hold a few nostalgic people and their friends who pay the sub anyway, but I don't see it being successful enough for blizzard to bother too long with it, seeing how free versions of classic wow already exist and can barely hold ~10k players online.

They're not gonna make expansions for wow classic so I'm not sure how successful it has to be for them.

All they have to do is make enough money off subs and player interest to consider it worth paying the electricity to keep the servers on, which is pretty minimal.

They may support it and try to do events or continue through the expansions, but they could also just leave it as wow classic and many would be pretty satisfied with that. It'd probably lose interest over time no matter what they do with it, because there's no way they're doing full expansions.

I said come in! posted:

WoW Classic is a way better game than current WoW.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

wow classic will be enjoyed by a very small group of people

the hype around it is from either from people whose glasses are so rose tinted they're opaque or from people who never played wow when it was new. they'll find out how bad it is and stop, regardless of how bad bfa is

also there was only one good mmo, and it was auto assault

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

wow classic will be enjoyed by a very small group of people

you underestimate the new streamer meta of videogames

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

frajaq posted:

you underestimate the new streamer meta of videogames

itll have a big launch but i think its playerbase will die off pretty fast

i also think a big part of the appeal of wow classic was its sense of mystery and discovery, which data mining has stripped from current wow, but classic wow is also data mined to poo poo so that mystery is gone there too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think what they really want is to go back to a time where their preferred class was overpowered, or just functioned in a way they were used to despite balance or broken mechanics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

i also think a big part of the appeal of wow classic was its sense of mystery and discovery, which data mining has stripped from current wow, but classic wow is also data mined to poo poo so that mystery is gone there too.

Nah, EQ was pretty blind in the 1999 days, but by Velioius almost all the data was on Allakazam. By Vanilla Wow days, Wowhead and Thottbot were a thing very early on, way before BC.

The original Thottbot plugin to gather data was released in 2004, which was the very year vanilla wow went live.

Although I guess the internet itself was so much more primitive back then, some people no doubt didn't know about wowhead or thottbot for a long time. But they were definitely there and used by anybody serious.

E: This is a really fun quote

quote:

During the 2006 Austin Game Conference, World of Warcraft lead designer Rob Pardo spoke of the hardcore market and casual market for World of Warcraft, saying "The people that don't go to ThottBot are the casual players, and they're the ones you need to hold the hand of."

And I'm sure even in the Ultima Online days, if you knew the right usenet group or whatever you could get information on what you wanted. Its just more mainstream now.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 28, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011

also there was only one good mmo, and it was auto assault

Preach.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

items i wish were real and not just mods ...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, EQ was pretty blind in the 1999 days, but by Velioius almost all the data was on Allakazam. By Vanilla Wow days, Wowhead and Thottbot were a thing very early on, way before BC.

The original Thottbot plugin to gather data was released in 2004, which was the very year vanilla wow went live.

Although I guess the internet itself was so much more primitive back then, some people no doubt didn't know about wowhead or thottbot for a long time. But they were definitely there and used by anybody serious.

E: This is a really fun quote

And I'm sure even in the Ultima Online days, if you knew the right usenet group or whatever you could get information on what you wanted. Its just more mainstream now.

i remember thottbot but it was crude compared to what we have now. it was just a database of stuff, it wasnt particularly well correlated like wowhead is now. there was a lot more mystery when it came to raid boss strats and the exact mathematics of their abilities. the top guilds had that poo poo but they kept it fairly close to their chest.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
by the way, Frozenbyte just announced voxel eve basically

https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/28/new-mmo-starbase-pretty-much-sounds-like-everquest-next-in-space-plus-robots/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/454120/Starbase/

discord.gg/starbase

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

i remember thottbot but it was crude compared to what we have now. it was just a database of stuff, it wasnt particularly well correlated like wowhead is now. there was a lot more mystery when it came to raid boss strats and the exact mathematics of their abilities. the top guilds had that poo poo but they kept it fairly close to their chest.

It being more organized is just how things progress, technology and whatnot. The game itself is faster and has way more info built-in without any mods even.

More mystery about boss strats is a big deal, but the problem there is testing. Everything is on the beta server for so long that FatBoss has youtube guides up as soon as the raids go live. But the alternative is to have new raids be buggy or imbalanced. The mystery is cool but poo poo bugging out or being way too hard was frustrating.

Ideally blizzard would hire some of the best clans to test in an internal beta server under NDA, but :shrug: I don't know how feasible that is from a business standpoint

But another thing that's easy to forget is how much boss strats weren't even really much of a thing back in vanilla. So many bosses were just tank and spank. MC only had a few mechanics you really had to learn, like the infamous bomb. Later in vanilla things started to get more complicated though, so its hard to like, nail a particular period. Naxx was definitely complicated but that's more the exception.

I remember arguing about a boss strat in uhhh ZG? with my guildies for an hour or so one night. And maybe some in AQ? But even then it seemed like there were known strats pretty fast.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 29, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

It being more organized is just how things progress, technology and whatnot. The game itself is faster and has way more info built-in without any mods even.

More mystery about boss strats is a big deal, but the problem there is testing. Everything is on the beta server for so long that FatBoss has youtube guides up as soon as the raids go live. But the alternative is to have new raids be buggy or imbalanced. The mystery is cool but poo poo bugging out or being way too hard was frustrating.

Ideally blizzard would hire some of the best clans to test in an internal beta server under NDA, but :shrug: I don't know how feasible that is from a business standpoint

But another thing that's easy to forget is how much boss strats weren't even really much of a thing back in vanilla. So many bosses were just tank and spank. MC only had a few mechanics you really had to learn, like the infamous bomb. Later in vanilla things started to get more complicated though, so its hard to like, nail a particular period. Naxx was definitely complicated but that's more the exception.

I remember arguing about a boss strat in uhhh ZG? with my guildies for an hour or so one night. And maybe some in AQ? But even then it seemed like there were known strats pretty fast.

i def agree but my point overall is that the mystery won't exist at all for wow classic, cause that stuff is all out in the open now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a goon in one of the wow subforum threads toxxed that WoW Classic would be more popular and have a higher player number than WoW Current lol

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

That looks like it could be amazing. More likely it will be poo poo but goons will swarm it and gank everybody and harvest their tears for about a month before moving on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

a goon in one of the wow subforum threads toxxed that WoW Classic would be more popular and have a higher player number than WoW Current lol

lol considering a wow sub gets you both games that can’t be possible.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can see how many people are playing one vs. the other though, but still lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

i def agree but my point overall is that the mystery won't exist at all for wow classic, cause that stuff is all out in the open now.

Yeah, for sure. Its all known, even exploits, which really changes the meta.

What we need is a new MMO designed like EQ or classic wow, but that seems unlikely.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Zaphod42 posted:

They may support it and try to do events or continue through the expansions, but they could also just leave it as wow classic and many would be pretty satisfied with that. It'd probably lose interest over time no matter what they do with it, because there's no way they're doing full expansions.

I'm curious about this from someone who's played OSRS, how has that game and the community handled updates? The few things I've read is that people were very #nochanges about it at first when OSRS launched, but over time people just want new content and they ended up developing new content for it that isn't just retreading their path to Runescape 3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, for sure. Its all known, even exploits, which really changes the meta.

What we need is a new MMO designed like EQ or classic wow, but that seems unlikely.

You're getting it.

Well, it's being 'made,' it's called Pantheon and it's gonna be just... so tremendous.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

eonwe posted:

no, is the answer

what do you want in your dream MMO?

i want a sandbox MMO that isn't just a gankbox and has some other poo poo to do in it too

:hmmyes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sandbox MMO is just another word for "we as developers did not have the money or resources to design interesting content." every sandbox MMO I have ever played has been utterly devoid of interesting things to do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Sandbox MMO is just another word for "we as developers did not have the money or resources to design interesting content." every sandbox MMO I have ever played has been utterly devoid of interesting things to do.

I mean, I consider EVE to be a sandbox. Although maybe point still stands there :cheeky: or even Everquest. Star wars galaxies.

Games like DayZ, Rust, Ark, those aren't really sandbox MMOs they're unfinished betas, engine tests. They have a whole other level of "no content" from like, EVE though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

L2?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
L2 got fantasy open world pvp right in that there's consequences for ganking people.

The factions split that got popular with wow is incredibly dumb, both from a gameplay point of view (no reason not to grief people if you're feeling bored, there's no risk to doing it it), and from a "split your playerbase" point of view. Wow was incredibly popular so it got away with the 2nd one, but the 1st one still made playing on pvp servers just plain inferior unless you had a gank squad of your own.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Worlds Adrift is shutting down. Not sure if that ever counted as MMO.

It's a shame. I liked it, but I stopped playing because I wanted the game to be in a more finished state before invested time in it. Joke's on me.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 30, 2019

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

SweetBro posted:

Worlds Adrift is shutting down. Not sure if that ever counted as MMO.

It's a shame. I liked it, but I stopped playing because I wanted the game to be in a more finished state before invested time in it. Joke's on me.

You and everyone else. I didn't even get to play it once :(

But it was an unfinished pile of crap so joke's actually on them for never delivering

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Any goon guilds planned for classic wow? I quit before the first expansion came out so kinda looking forward to reliving the same bullshit from 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Has there been anyone working on another mmo fps like planetside or WW2 online? Maybe a battlegrounds type game without a total game winner? I don't know, I miss planetside. Big battle games continue to develop so I hope someone tries planetside 3 or something.