Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I always assumed that's exactly what the [recipe] #XX was, was a different preparation so you didn't have the same scrambled eggs for the rest of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Powered Descent posted:

You'd think they'd be able to keep multiple examples of each dish, and randomly select one each time. (Or if you know you REALLY like the way Plomeek Soup #47 was made, you can specify.) But hey, maybe replicator patterns take up more space in the computer than I'm assuming here.

Well, some people probably do, indeed, do this! I mean, people clearly have their own personalized replicator recipes, as with Data and his feline supplements, it just takes some work, which also ties into that whole 'slaving over a replicator all night', that someone brought up, which would indeed be a thing...insofar as it'd mean 'working on programming and trial and error sampling of the results for hours, possibly while standing uncomfortably at a terminal rather than sitting comfortably'. Which would indeed be somewhat fatiguing and unpleasant, much like 'slaving away at a stove', just with less ambient heat or accidental cutting of fingers and so forth.

Data is fine with this, because he doesn't get tired or frustrated, but working on custom replicator recipes, for most people, particularly when you're trying to get a custom dish/meal JUST right, would indeed be a big hassle...which is why most people probably don't make a ton of recipe variants for the replicators!

I could see people trading them on the INTERWEBS, such as they are, but the concept of the internet barely seems to exist in Star Trek, so it'd be limited to more localized interactions, which could be an issue. I could see replicator recipes being a hugely popular topic of discussion/file exchanging on any given Federation subspace forum.

This is probably why a lot of people go to Quark's, because he has custom recipes up the wazoo, constantly acquired from various sources, some of them made by his own hands, even if he's serving replicated food just like the replimat. Because the replimat doesn't offer much in the way of variety, even if the food there tastes just fine, it'd be really easy to get tired of it after a little while.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sorry, ensign. I agree your recipe for tikka massala sounds delicious, but Commander Data has already filled the replicator databanks to capacity with 7,000 feline supplement recipes.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Rather than getting into programming the replicator, people could also do some experimentation with the outputs too. So, instead of replicating an entire meal in one go they could replicate the individual elements (meat, vegetables, sauce etc) and put the various parts together to make a more unique meal. That would obviously take a lot more work and creativity than just opting for one of the standard pre-set options.

That said, I expect the "slaving over a replicator" line was just intended as a "give the fek'lhr his due" type of thing where the writers took a regular expression and threw in a sci-fi word to make it fit the setting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Well, some people probably do, indeed, do this! I mean, people clearly have their own personalized replicator recipes, as with Data and his feline supplements, it just takes some work, which also ties into that whole 'slaving over a replicator all night', that someone brought up, which would indeed be a thing...insofar as it'd mean 'working on programming and trial and error sampling of the results for hours, possibly while standing uncomfortably at a terminal rather than sitting comfortably'. Which would indeed be somewhat fatiguing and unpleasant, much like 'slaving away at a stove', just with less ambient heat or accidental cutting of fingers and so forth.
I wonder if you can sort of sample the "steps" the computer uses. Like if you're making risotto, sample the cheese, the rice and broth, and the mushroom mixture separately.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Taear posted:

Star Trek isn't very good with stuff like that.
Yes you've got magical medicine that can instantly heal people or replicators that make parts from protein in the air but the actual implications of that are pretty much totally ignored.

So the answer is "Still quite hard even though logically it shouldn't be hard at all"

Yeah, it actually kind of sucks that across at least four modern Trek shows the writers never bothered to try to make this work at all. The frustrating bit is that there aren't really any logical inconsistencies that aren't the result of writers just being lazy.

The idea that Federation citizens operate in an effectively entirely different economy than the Federation government is totally fine, and basically how the real world works anyway. You and your closest hundred friends couldn't afford to buy an F-22 if you all pooled every penny you ever earned throughout your entire life, but one plane is effectively a rounding error to the US government. It's completely reasonable to say that personal consumption is post-scarcity, but industrial production of something like a starship isn't.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Voting Floater posted:

That said, I expect the "slaving over a replicator" line was just intended as a "give the fek'lhr his due" type of thing where the writers took a regular expression and threw in a sci-fi word to make it fit the setting.

Oh, no doubt, I'm just saying that it also kind of makes sense if you substitute a different sort of 'slaving over' imagery for the original, too. Miserable coding session rather than miserable kitchen stress. It's amusing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it actually kind of sucks that across at least four modern Trek shows the writers never bothered to try to make this work at all. The frustrating bit is that there aren't really any logical inconsistencies that aren't the result of writers just being lazy.

The idea that Federation citizens operate in an effectively entirely different economy than the Federation government is totally fine, and basically how the real world works anyway. You and your closest hundred friends couldn't afford to buy an F-22 if you all pooled every penny you ever earned throughout your entire life, but one plane is effectively a rounding error to the US government. It's completely reasonable to say that personal consumption is post-scarcity, but industrial production of something like a starship isn't.

Yeah. Same applies with powering the things. We usually see people on ships and stations that already need insane amounts of energy. Compared to the power needed to travel at high warp, every crew member having unfettered replicator use is probably another one of those rounding errors on the energy budget.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, and it's also really easy to justify why Starfleet officers still have to pay at places like Quark's. The Federation doesn't want to turbofuck the economies of every civilization they interact with, so they don't give their officers enough local currency to cosplay trillionaires. The fact that the writers had to fall back on technobabble like currencies that can't be replicated is frankly embarrassing for them. Especially since the entire idea of a currency itself having inherent value is... really dumb.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Paradoxish posted:

The fact that the writers had to fall back on technobabble like currencies that can't be replicated is frankly embarrassing for them. Especially since the entire idea of a currency itself having inherent value is... really dumb.

:bitcoin:

Turns out the real reason Voyager had to ration replicator use was that all the power was going to the cargo bay full of mining rigs Harry was running.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, and it's also really easy to justify why Starfleet officers still have to pay at places like Quark's. The Federation doesn't want to turbofuck the economies of every civilization they interact with, so they don't give their officers enough local currency to cosplay trillionaires. The fact that the writers had to fall back on technobabble like currencies that can't be replicated is frankly embarrassing for them. Especially since the entire idea of a currency itself having inherent value is... really dumb.

GPL is like ferengi bitcoin

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I assume that's what the Federation credits are, just not created and generated by some shady person that's probably expecting to live handsomely off of it for the rest of his/her life.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pakled posted:

There was a book that straight-up said B was the case. Because different species have different biological needs and atmospheric preferences and such so it's more comfortable for everyone to group crews together by species as much as possible. The existence of the rear end in a top hat Vulcan ship from DS9's baseball episode supports this as well.
I’m betting that Starfleet doesn’t want to say it, but all of the other species just want to get the Vulcans on their own ships to not have to deal with those smug assholes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just assume a lot of stuff falls into the "just because we can do it, doesn't mean we use that method."

Maybe it makes more sense for Federation shipyard workers to assemble large subassemblies "by hand" and perform the check-outs and tests as they go instead of the replicator trying to fart out one massive unit or have tractor beams manipulating huge sections with minimal supervision.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Weird foot alien is, weird fact, also named Dax.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Timeless Appeal posted:

A) Humans are an incredibly dominant force in Starfleet because of Reasons and they literally do make up most of Starfleet,

B) Starfleet is a mostly segregated coalition. While different species can serve on alien ships, species mostly stay on their own ships and work under their own admirals. So while the human ships tend to be a big deal, there are theoretically a bunch of Andorian ships going on their own adventures and are filled with mostly Andorians with a token human here and there.

C) You're just supposed to understand that Starfleet isn't actually dominated by humans, is supposed to be incredibly diverse, and you're just watching shows that can't afford to look like the Star Wars Cantina every episode. Just like how you're probably supposed to assume that white people aren't actually overly represented.

I know there's not actually an answer to this, but wanted to sort of put it forward anyways, partially to garner other ideas. I'm leaning towards it is very diverse, but there is a legitimate human domination problem.
B shading towards C as the timeline moves through TOS and into TNG/DS9/VOY. I imagine that they have ships set to different environmental conditions and so forth, this got brought up in the TNG tech manual that I memorized as a child.

It doesn't quite suit Trek but you could probably explain an A situation in some hypothetical "multi-species confederation, but mostly humans on screen" by saying that humans are unusually well suited to adapting to life on a long-haul starship or something. It's not that other aliens can't, it's that it's not particularly remarkable for humans to be able to do so, and so the fleet tends to fill with those weirdo apes because they're willing to put up with breathing each other's recycled gas and eating each other's recycled poo poo and not going for a single god drat ten-mile run for OVER A YEAR AT A TIME. FREAKS!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nessus posted:

B shading towards C as the timeline moves through TOS and into TNG/DS9/VOY. I imagine that they have ships set to different environmental conditions and so forth, this got brought up in the TNG tech manual that I memorized as a child.

It doesn't quite suit Trek but you could probably explain an A situation in some hypothetical "multi-species confederation, but mostly humans on screen" by saying that humans are unusually well suited to adapting to life on a long-haul starship or something. It's not that other aliens can't, it's that it's not particularly remarkable for humans to be able to do so, and so the fleet tends to fill with those weirdo apes because they're willing to put up with breathing each other's recycled gas and eating each other's recycled poo poo and not going for a single god drat ten-mile run for OVER A YEAR AT A TIME. FREAKS!

I always got the impression that some species might prefer to only work with others of their own kind.

Like, apparently humans loving reek to vulcans and they prefer hotter environments. But take it as it goes I guess

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Only the captain of that Vulcan ship was really an rear end in a top hat. If you look at the party at the end of the "Take Me Out to the Holosuite", Solok's crew is celebrating with the Niners already when he stomps up and goes "WHY ARE YOU HAPPY?!"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nodosaur posted:

Only the captain of that Vulcan ship was really an rear end in a top hat. If you look at the party at the end of the "Take Me Out to the Holosuite", Solok's crew is celebrating with the Niners already when he stomps up and goes "WHY ARE YOU HAPPY?!"

im mostly just referring to t'pol whining about humans stinking and how cold the ship is.

i assume cardies wouldn't like serving in a mixed crew either, preferring dark and humid environments

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

There's those fish guys that Lwaxana exposes as terrorists who apparently go into a coma when traveling in space, so there's probably a few species that just plain can't handle Starfleet.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Here's the question, how much does something like the dominion war affect people at home?

Like, did the average person even know? How did they feel? When san francisco got blowed up, were people like "????????"

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Generations had reporters on the bridge and Jake was sending reports back home while on the station so I'm assuming that Fed citizens have access to some sort of news aggregation service.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Voting Floater posted:

Rather than getting into programming the replicator, people could also do some experimentation with the outputs too. So, instead of replicating an entire meal in one go they could replicate the individual elements (meat, vegetables, sauce etc) and put the various parts together to make a more unique meal. That would obviously take a lot more work and creativity than just opting for one of the standard pre-set options.

Yeah and I always figured the settings really let you get into the nitty gritty of the recipe depending on your preferences. Like you could salt +1 on broccoli portion two, steam for +3.5 seconds, that sort of thing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Re: replicators, most people don't really know what they want, especially if they've never had to make it themselves and think about what goes into it. Garbage in, garbage out.

It's like when a New Yorker moves to an area that only has Papa John's and declares that New York pizza is better because of the water. When actually there are like a million other differences that are way more important, and it's a totally solvable problem, but it's easier to assume "it just ain't the same" and feel vaguely superior.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I always got the impression that some species might prefer to only work with others of their own kind.

Like, apparently humans loving reek to vulcans and they prefer hotter environments. But take it as it goes I guess

Can you imagine being a tellarite on a human vessel? Everyone is constantly stepping around each others' feelings, nobody is direct in telling anyone off. You're written up every loving week seems like, and you're forced to do occupational counseling. "I know you're coming from a constructive place" says the smarmy counselor "but you must understand your mannerisms can come off as aggressive or dismissive." I didn't realize I couldn't dismiss morons now. Shows no signs of wanting to improve, recommend a counseling package tailored to Tellarites on the holodeck.. gently caress yourselves; like we're the problem instead of you pearl-clutching apes. I miss my freighter days.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Can you imagine being a tellarite on a human vessel? Everyone is constantly stepping around each others' feelings, nobody is direct in telling anyone off. You're written up every loving week seems like, and you're forced to do occupational counseling. "I know you're coming from a constructive place" says the smarmy counselor "but you must understand your mannerisms can come off as aggressive or dismissive." I didn't realize I couldn't dismiss morons now. Shows no signs of wanting to improve, recommend a counseling package tailored to Tellarites on the holodeck.. gently caress yourselves; like we're the problem instead of you pearl-clutching apes. I miss my freighter days.

This week in why Prime Directive is a good TOS novel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t remember one in Prime Directive but I do remember it being a good book so I’ll believe it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t remember one in Prime Directive but I do remember it being a good book so I’ll believe it.

There's like, half a chapter or a very small chapter where... I'm gonna actually spoiler this because seriously read a good* Star Trek book, they basically don't exist.

The chapter that introduces current Kirk has him basically working in some kind of "we don't ask questions" construction organization and a lot of his co-workers are Tellarites and it very briefly has a little back and forth exchange of teaching each other languages which is neat. Except turns out "we don't ask questions" doesn't extend to super space criminal murderers so that goes about as you'd expect.

*still genre fiction

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The greatest moment in all of Star Trek is in "Broken Link", in which Sisko has to stop Bashir from skipping a pebble into the Great Link.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

The greatest moment in all of Star Trek is in "Broken Link", in which Sisko has to stop Bashir from skipping a pebble into the Great Link.

Second Greatest

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lol what episode is that from

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Lol what episode is that from

The Magnificent Ferengi

I get that some joyless chodes don't like the Ferengi but this whole sequence is gold latinum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZlBETlT1yo

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
gently caress anyone who says Sisko is a bad actor.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love how Sisko goes back to doing nothing at the end of that

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

The Magnificent Ferengi

I get that some joyless chodes don't like the Ferengi but this whole sequence is gold latinum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZlBETlT1yo

"Joyless Chodes" and "don't like the Ferengi" seem to adequately sum up the Vorta, yes :v:

Tighclops posted:

I love how Sisko goes back to doing nothing at the end of that

He had a feeling that some chicanery involving his office was going to happen that day and damned if he wasn't going to make sure he was there when it happened.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry_Ed posted:

He had a feeling that some chicanery involving his office was going to happen that day and damned if he wasn't going to make sure he was there when it happened.

IT'S

NOT

LINEAR!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

They're generally the fanboy equivalents of old men yelling at clouds that are mad at things not being like when they were kids. They're also pretty misogynistic and generally just not funny. Whatever valid criticisms there are of Discovery (and there are many) I'm not really interested in seeing them through their eyes.

Yeah I'm with you, especially on the misogynistic part