Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

So far every single one of them has said some version of "Illinois has a spending problem not a revenue problem" and "but what if all the rich people leave"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Passed the house 73-44-1. Going to the ballot in 2020. Now the real fun begins.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Did they pass the rate plan too or is that still up for debate?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I thought we couldn't institute a progressive tax without a constitutional amendment?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Soonmot posted:

I thought we couldn't institute a progressive tax without a constitutional amendment?

That's what's up for vote, the amendment.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

All that is being talked about on Facebook is the RHA.

The one thing I do not like is how these were passed. I am not a fan of Wisconsin Republican rush jobs. Yes, I k ow that they have to get them passed by May 31st to get them going fast enough, but it just irks me.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The RHA was also as good as dead in a committee a week ago but then the house dem caucus wanted to send a national message to respond to Alabama/Missourri and the like.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What are the odds the amendment gets 60% of the vote?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Last poll I read about last week said 58% of voters support it. But with almost a year and a half ahead of us for both sides to dump millions into a rhetoric and propaganda war who knows? This is Pritzker's flagship campaign promise so he's likely to pour a ton of money into it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wait until the local news starts leading every segment with "the amendment could raise your taxes by 61%!”

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

All that is being talked about on Facebook is the RHA.

The one thing I do not like is how these were passed. I am not a fan of Wisconsin Republican rush jobs. Yes, I k ow that they have to get them passed by May 31st to get them going fast enough, but it just irks me.

Nah. This is what these people were voted in to do.

If there is anything the last 10 years or so of politics should have taught you it's that the only thing that matters in politics is having the political power to enact your agenda, and if you have that power you should use it because it can be gone in a moment.

This of course does not apply to lame duck, gently caress the will of the voter sessions of course.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

NomChompsky posted:

Last poll I read about last week said 58% of voters support it. But with almost a year and a half ahead of us for both sides to dump millions into a rhetoric and propaganda war who knows? This is Pritzker's flagship campaign promise so he's likely to pour a ton of money into it.

58% is more than enough if people are energized, this explains the variable method the Illinois constitution uses

https://illinoiselectiondata.com/index.php?Title=What-Will-It-Take-To-Pass-the-Graduated-Income-Tax&p=1548 

I don't know if the rates can be put on the ballot at the same time or what , or if that's even needed (I'm assuming it isn't)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Seems like the rates aren’t needed but they want to pass the rates so that people can’t scaremonger about what the rates will be.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

58% is more than enough if people are energized, this explains the variable method the Illinois constitution uses

https://illinoiselectiondata.com/index.php?Title=What-Will-It-Take-To-Pass-the-Graduated-Income-Tax&p=1548 

I don't know if the rates can be put on the ballot at the same time or what , or if that's even needed (I'm assuming it isn't)

Also it's good timing. Presidential election year with Trump on the ballot. We can expect a good democratic turnout, and this policy is popular with democrats.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The X-man cometh posted:

Wait until the local news starts leading every segment with "the amendment could raise your taxes by 61%!”

GOP tried this in 2018 in Illinois

Didn't work out too well for them

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

https://capitolfax.com/2019/05/28/descend-like-vultures/

The fuckers are fuckering.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
So progressive tax on the ballot, RHA just passed... where the weed at?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Moving through the senate. Should hit the house before the end of the week.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How often does the Illinois legislature meet and for how long? I keep seeing stories that say the last day of the session is Friday but I can't figure out when they'd be back. I'm coming from Texas where they only meet once every two years, so if they don't get something done it's basically dead til after the next election.

e: also Capitol Fax's website really slows down my computer and I can't figure out why because their website looks like trash

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 29, 2019

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Was slow for me today too, probably some script in an ad or something.

Someone in the comments pointed out an interesting provision in the constitutional amendment vote next fall. If turnout is high enough, you only need 50% +1 instead of the 60© we'll otherwise need

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

How often does the Illinois legislature meet and for how long? I keep seeing stories that say the last day of the session is Friday but I can't figure out when they'd be back. I'm coming from Texas where they only meet once every two years, so if they don't get something done it's basically dead til after the next election.

e: also Capitol Fax's website really slows down my computer and I can't figure out why because their website looks like trash

They meet in Springfield from roughly February-May. Then they come back in the fall fit for the veto session, officially just to override any vetoes, but sometimes they rewrite a bill completely to get something new in before the end of the year.

The governor can also call for a special session but I don't know much about those.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

To add onto the last post; they can also go into overtime, which is something that has been discussed this session because there's just so much huge line-item poo poo the governor wants to get through. In two days they've gotten two huge things done, one of which wasn't even going to happen until maybe fall or next winter. They still have gaming, weed, and a capital bill on the line.

There were some special sessions during Summer while Rauner was in office, but because he had to keep pushing the legislature to fix problems he was causing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1133751236476383232?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

Republicans on Tuesday said they will likely provide “a handful” of votes to legalize marijuana now that a new amendment to SB 7 establishes a different path to expunge the records of those convicted of cannabis-related offenses — the governor’s pardon power.
A week ago Republican leaders told The Daily Line no member of their caucus would vote for to the long-running effort to legalize marijuana.
State Sen. Toi Hutchinson (D-Olympia Fields) told The Daily Line that she backed the change to the bill’s original language of automatic expungement of records via legislation to gubernatorial action.
In Illinois, a governor has the ability to pardon with “permission to expunge.” If a person is granted a pardon, with permission to expunge, he or she can then file a petition to expunge the pardoned offense, according to state guidelines.
“The expungement piece…we boosted the constitutionality of what it is we’re attempting to do and that was a significant concern for the Republican caucus and that brings folks back on board,” Hutchinson said. “That was one of the biggest sticking points.”
The original language in SB 7 dropped on May 4, and the Republicans who had been negotiating the bill for months — including State Sen. Jason Barickman (R-Bloomington) — began saying both privately and in the media that they could no longer support the bill. […]
“This is about to be the single-biggest piece of criminal justice reform in one piece of legislation in the country, and I would daresay the world,” Hutchinson said. “This is big, this is big, and I didn’t think this was going to happen. And I’m really proud of it. And nothing would make me happier than to see — if we actually make it to a bipartisan roll call because we tried and because it worked, that’s a good thing.”

Oh this is some straight loving goddamn bullshit goddamn loving worthless assholes.

Live to prop up the loving middle men who are gonna have to handle this.

And then if someone does something stupid after getting let out they can blame the governor for letting him out.

This is so cosmically loving dumb how do you fall into this trap

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ugh yeah that's really bad

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They're also getting rid of the home grow provision, which is complete bullshit.

https://twitter.com/DriscollNPR/status/1133749397987241984?s=19

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Honestly, this change disturbs me the most:

https://twitter.com/DriscollNPR/status/1133755691091537920

Previously, it was up to a class 4 felony, which meant 500 grams if it's your first pot charge or 100 if it's a later one. So that means you can't get expunged for possessing over 30 grams, that is to say, you'll still have it on your record for selling what's now a legalized quantity.

Do the democrats even need Republican votes for this to pass?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They had to appease the prison guard and big businesses coming into the state I guess.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The weed bill passed the Senate committee and the floor vote is scheduled for right about now.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Is there a particular twitter to follow to keep apprised of the floor vote?

e: nm, Driscoll's twitter is doing so.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Assuming this passes, when would it go into effect?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Do the democrats even need Republican votes for this to pass?

I don't know about the senate, but they do in the house. There's a handful of suburban and collar county dems who aren't going to vote for it because that'll be the end of their tenures as reps but there's also a handful of republicans who are likely going to unless they totally hunker down and gently caress everyone over. Which isn't outside the realm of possibility. Republicans are super pissed after the events of the last couple of days with the fair tax and the RHA being jammed through.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Assuming this passes, when would it go into effect?

Jan. 2020, I'm pretty sure.

they already have the infrastructure from the med dispensaries & growers, who I believe will be given preference in licensing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I found a livestream for the senate but I think they're on break till 6 (now): http://www.ilga.gov/senateaudvid.asp

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This self-ID'd "pro-life & libertarian" republican senator said he changed his mind after getting an email from Americans for Prosperity saying "freedom is freedom" and is now supporting the bill.

Guys, I think this might be happening. :dance:

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The bill gained 2 republican senators as co-sponsors today. It's looking good. The House will be the real challenge.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Weed passes senate 38-17-2-2

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lori Lightfoot's reform proposals passed the Chicago City Council in a voice vote today (only Burke and one other alderman opposed).

This might be the greatest day in Illinois political history.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lightfoot seems good.

https://twitter.com/_johnbyrne/status/1133763777483034624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why is the House an issue? Don't Democrats own a huge advantage?