Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man, Audrey should be glad she won't remember any of this because she's absolutely right that she was a terrible person for the last five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I just realize that these diary entries take place over the course of two days. This dude just spent a weekend experiencing his own suicide dozens or hundreds of times in a row.

The Ambassador might have lost his mind.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

So the entire "kidnap and isolate" strategy is just to make sure that anyone else touching the scepter can't learn anything useful and stop the war/plague?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Paladin posted:

So the entire "kidnap and isolate" strategy is just to make sure that anyone else touching the scepter can't learn anything useful and stop the war/plague?

i think its self preservation for the simulated people within the simulation

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paladin posted:

I think what happened is this:

1) the Ambassador gets the scepter and does all his experiments without telling anyone else. No one else knows how the scepter works so everything continues as normal, and the Ambassador is willing to kill himself repeatedly to return to the real world so it makes no difference.
2) once the Ambassador is finished, he has to tell some people about how the scepter works and therefore how he knows so much about the future, so that they can do something about it. This includes the little green dude. Now no one is using the scepter, but they know how it works.
3) when Lyndon touches the scepter, the Skyggemyrians realize that means they're living in a simulation of Lyndon's future. They try to keep him alive out of self-preservation because they suddenly realize that even in a simulation, they're still conscious, living, breathing representations of themselves, and they don't want to die.

Clearly the point isn't to stop anyone from learning anything to the point of self-sacrifice, otherwise they would have just killed Lyndon to stop him from learning anything. I think the isolation is mostly to keep Lyndon alive so they themselves stay alive. Hence not just isolating him away from the world and telling him non-stressful lies about it, but also the exercise and healthy eating and everything.

What's really funny to me is that the knowledge that they're in a simulation is affecting the results of the simulation. If the Skyggemyrians didn't know they were in a simulation they wouldn't be keeping Lyndon alive like this, and so his eventual death would be completely different. The scepter only works if no one knows how it works.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

vyelkin posted:

I think what happened is this:

1) the Ambassador gets the scepter and does all his experiments without telling anyone else. No one else knows how the scepter works so everything continues as normal, and the Ambassador is willing to kill himself repeatedly to return to the real world so it makes no difference.
2) once the Ambassador is finished, he has to tell some people about how the scepter works and therefore how he knows so much about the future, so that they can do something about it. This includes the little green dude. Now no one is using the scepter, but they know how it works.
3) when Lyndon touches the scepter, the Skyggemyrians realize that means they're living in a simulation of Lyndon's future. They try to keep him alive out of self-preservation because they suddenly realize that even in a simulation, they're still conscious, living, breathing representations of themselves, and they don't want to die.

Clearly the point isn't to stop anyone from learning anything to the point of self-sacrifice, otherwise they would have just killed Lyndon to stop him from learning anything. I think the isolation is mostly to keep Lyndon alive so they themselves stay alive. Hence not just isolating him away from the world and telling him non-stressful lies about it, but also the exercise and healthy eating and everything.

What's really funny to me is that the knowledge that they're in a simulation is affecting the results of the simulation. If the Skyggemyrians didn't know they were in a simulation they wouldn't be keeping Lyndon alive like this, and so his eventual death would be completely different. The scepter only works if no one knows how it works.

But the ambassador was the first person to protect him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eeevil posted:

But the ambassador was the first person to protect him.

Exactly. The ambassador has only ever been the protagonist in a scepter vision, and therefore had no reason to think that the other people in the simulation were conscious. When Lyndon touches the scepter, the ambassador suddenly realizes that to be the case, and realizes that if Lyndon dies he will cease to exist--but without the consciousness of waking up as the one who touched the scepter. He will just poof out of existence. So, as someone who knows exactly how the scepter works, he tries to protect Lyndon so that his own simulated life continues. If the point was just to prevent Lyndon from learning anything about their plans, he would just kill him right there after he touched the scepter in the embassy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

So does the simulation start for everyone with them thinking "the sceptre must be broken, nothing happened"?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I reckon the starlight issue is that the scepter has become somewhat recursive, now that it's being used for more than just one death, but passing information back in time then acting on that etc. etc.

So it's falling back on that old technique to free up resources: Thick clouds of fog to hide the stuff that hasn't loaded.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Terror Sweat posted:

So does the simulation start for everyone with them thinking "the sceptre must be broken, nothing happened"?

Looks like it:

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/76/

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In retrospect, Audrey killed so many iterations of herself and her friends on this page: http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/79/

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cat Mattress posted:

Approximately 140 millions times less far away than 2157 light-days.

That was my point. The sun being simulated tells you basically nothing because it's ~8 minutes away in terms of the light from it. I was just trying to make them do a search because I'm a monster.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Lone Badger posted:

To be fair, it's also Lyndon's fault.

re-title the comic Lyndon's Fault imo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Terror Sweat posted:

That or "Oh, guess I'm the doomed one."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Oh poo poo, I just realized--if Audrey stabs Lyndon right after they finish reading this journal, then the real Lyndon gets a vision of himself reading all the information they need to save the world.

(It means she'll die too, but she looks so guilty that she just might sacrifice herself to fix everything. Plus, she loves solving problems with murder, and this would both solve all the problems and murder everyone in her world.)

Relevant Tangent posted:

That or "Oh, guess I'm the doomed one."

It's a pretty rare set of circumstances under which someone could learn that, if you touch the scepter and nothing happens, you're in a simulation. Because you have to see the scepter not working in that vision, and since the vision is only the last few seconds of the simulation, the only time that happens is if you're seconds from death. So if you're in a position to know, you probably die.

Lyndon survived seeing that nothing happened when he touched the scepter, but his reaction points to the other problem: most people aren't single-minded enough to use the scepter this way.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the ambassador has the kind of scientific curiosity that would lead him to touch the scepter in a scepter vision, and then make sure to include the information on what happens in his pre-death message, so he knows

Also after doing some timeline math I agree that it only simulates X years (a little bit more than five) of starlight due to limits on its processing power

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Oh poo poo, I just realized--if Audrey stabs Lyndon right after they finish reading this journal, then the real Lyndon gets a vision of himself reading all the information they need to save the world.

(It means she'll die too, but she looks so guilty that she just might sacrifice herself to fix everything. Plus, she loves solving problems with murder, and this would both solve all the problems and murder everyone in her world.)

I think she still doesn't realize that they're in a simulation yet though, so she has no reason to stab Lyndon.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

vyelkin posted:

I think she still doesn't realize that they're in a simulation yet though, so she has no reason to stab Lyndon.

She will after they finish reading the journal, since presumably the ambassador wrote down "some other jerk touched the crystal" in his diary of exposition.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

She will after they finish reading the journal, since presumably the ambassador wrote down "some other jerk touched the crystal" in his diary of exposition.

Yeah but by that point they might have been reading long enough for Lyndon's death moment to not include the most important information.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing Lyndon will remember is being bald.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I wonder why the Ambassador didn't destroy his old diaries once he realised he was in someone else's death, just to be safe - it's not like they're the originals.

Still, I'm liking the Thorsby twist on Groundhog Day. That first suicide before he was certain it worked would have been a doozy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Also after doing some timeline math I agree that it only simulates X years (a little bit more than five) of starlight due to limits on its processing power

It doesn't stop simulating anything, it only simulates a five light-year radius of existence. The stars were never there, only the light they were emitting that had already entered that radius. It look five years for the last of those photons to hit earth, so it looked like all the stars vanished at once.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

RandomFerret posted:

It doesn't stop simulating anything, it only simulates a five light-year radius of existence. The stars were never there, only the light they were emitting that had already entered that radius. It look five years for the last of those photons to hit earth, so it looked like all the stars vanished at once.

...Together, we can defeat Thorsby the Farcebringer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

RandomFerret posted:

yeah that’s what I meant, five years worth of starlight

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only thing Lyndon will remember is being bald.
Bald and burly.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, he's beefy af. "You killed me because I was super beefy, I must never lift a weight."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The stars going out in the simulation means that unless the death happens before they go out, it will affect the simulation's outcome significantly, so it's unreliable.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

The stars going out in the simulation means that unless the death happens before they go out, it will affect the simulation's outcome significantly, so it's unreliable.

Once the Sceptre's secret is out, it becomes totally unreliable in general. If it's widely known that someone who touches it and doesn't experience a vision has plunged the world into a simulation, it changes the decision-making process not just for that person, but for all the people who know that they're in a simulation contingent on the life of the sceptre-toucher.

I really like it. The magic has limits, it's not infallible, and its limits are things that wouldn't ever arise if you used the Sceptre without doing vigorous testing on just how it's delivering your death predictions to you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Once the Sceptre's secret is out, it becomes totally unreliable in general. If it's widely known that someone who touches it and doesn't experience a vision has plunged the world into a simulation, it changes the decision-making process not just for that person, but for all the people who know that they're in a simulation contingent on the life of the sceptre-toucher.

I really like it. The magic has limits, it's not infallible, and its limits are things that wouldn't ever arise if you used the Sceptre without doing vigorous testing on just how it's delivering your death predictions to you.

It's really classic Thorsby in that it's taking a magic item that another storyteller would just have be magic, and then really thinking hard about how it would work and how the mechanics needed to make it function would also be exploitable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/384

shhh

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Great job Lyndon, you've ensured a witness will survive because if Trixie right, Audrey kills them now you lose your powers. I think? Thorsby magic is so complicated.

uvar fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 31, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

uvar posted:

Great job Lyndon, you've ensured a witness will survive because if Trixie kills them now you lose your powers. I think? Thorsby magic is so complicated.

Audrey.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

If Trixie killed the sleeper it'd stop his magic too.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

new (non-fiction?!) thorsby comic!

http://evolutions.thecomicseries.com/

in the future all theses will be presented like this

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

break-up breakdown posted:

Well that was.... very very Thorsby.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oh yea, I saw you kissing a bunch of dudes before. Guess you can live.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Wow that's really depressing. Especially since it implies that suicidal thoughts aren't something in your genes and just something your mother messes you up with.

But yeah, that's an interesting thought experiment which goes to places I wouldn't have considered on my own. It does help that he searched for studies which vaguely correlate, with what he's trying to claim. But I fear that this approach to statistics is a bit subjective.

Then again, doing a rigorous, double blind, reproducible, randomized, statistically significant longtime case study about the rates of genealogical causes for suicide would be somewhat unfeasible.
It would be the most depressing situation, but I sorta want to to explore that idea now. Like the Truman show where a lot of main characters commit suicide at some point.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 31, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

break-up breakdown posted:

my gut tells me that this series will, for better or worse, accidentally reveal far more about Thorsby than we knew before

e: my gut holds its lil gut-breath every time someone online starts talking abt queer or mental health theory in a non-fictional context for the first time, lol

e2: oh wow okay uh hmm

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 31, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The gay uncles thing is pretty concordant with what we know about the genetics of being gay. Insofar as there's a biological component, it's likely something that happens in the womb, so it being due to genes carried by the mother makes more sense than it being due to genes carried by the gay person themselves. We don't know enough to say for sure of course, it could well be due to genes from both parties interacting, but he has clearly read existing science on the issue and is extrapolating based on that.

It was still uncomfortable to read just because you're constantly expecting the terrible opinion hammer drop, but it never really comes. Thorsby good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The suicide thing, way more of a shot in the dark, and has less scientific grounding. I suspect that suicidal tendencies are too complex a social phenomenon to be explained by spitballing genetics in isolation. Still, they almost certainly do have a genetic component, so it's not an unreasonable thing to theorise about.