Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SatansOnion posted:

lol if you make your coffee with water like a pleb, real pioneers just stir some fresh-ground beans into our breakfast whiskey before roping and chaining our way over every mountain in sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Double-teaming works, but what about down the pass?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Went and consulted the in-game Hitchhiker's Guide to The American West to doublecheck some details. Apparently fording should always work on rivers 3.5 feet or shallower, and caulking should be used if it's any deeper. 3 feet is definitely the sweet spot where you'll have the most trouble, but I hadn't realized that the game actually takes the weight of your supplies into account, heavier wagons are more likely to get swamped or fall.

That same rule applies to hills too, but there's no rule of thumb on what method to use on what kinds of hills. So I say double-team the animals and hope for the best.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ropes and chains worked on the last hill, it will work again.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

UED Special Ops posted:

Better safe than out of whiskey.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
Ropes and chains haven't failed us yet, have they?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lock the wheels. It can't fail twice in a row can it?

:xcom:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My singing tipped the wagon over. :( This time, quietly, with ropes and chains.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I've never really understood how the going down hills stuff was resolved. Also the penalty for your wagon tipping while ascending and descending doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You lose a bunch of stuff, which makes sense with rivers because it could all be ruined by moisture or get swept down stream or fall out of sight. But with a mountain trail shouldn't you be able to just like, pick it all up?

Ropes and chains I guess.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

UED Special Ops posted:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

paragon1 posted:

I've never really understood how the going down hills stuff was resolved. Also the penalty for your wagon tipping while ascending and descending doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You lose a bunch of stuff, which makes sense with rivers because it could all be ruined by moisture or get swept down stream or fall out of sight. But with a mountain trail shouldn't you be able to just like, pick it all up?

Ropes and chains I guess.

Questions like this are the reason I get very frustrated with a lot of survival games.

Also I'm fairly sure you use different ropes and chains every time until you run out and can't pick that option any more, I guess instead of coiling them up and putting them back in the wagons afterwards we just leave them on the ground and carry on our merry way.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ropes & chains

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

True captains of their prairie dinghies schooners know when to finish their mid morning brunch whiskey and drop an anchor so as to avoid becoming gravity’s plaything

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Black Robe posted:

Also I'm fairly sure you use different ropes and chains every time until you run out and can't pick that option any more, I guess instead of coiling them up and putting them back in the wagons afterwards we just leave them on the ground and carry on our merry way.
What? :psyduck:

That's incredibly stupid and wasteful even by today's standards when you can just walk into a store anywhere along the route and just buy some cheap mass produced rope.

I don't care anymore just put everything in the cart, including the oxen, and continue full speed down the hill.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I might be misremembering, it's been a long time, but I'm sure I remember running out of rope for some reason.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ropes and chains

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

People getting pretty kinky in the thread.

Ropes and chains :pervert:

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Just pile up everyone's clothes and blankets and pillows at the bottom of the hill to make a cushion, then RIDE THAT WAGON DOWN THE HILL FULL PELT YEEHAW!!!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Anything that leaves the wagon is lost to us forever. And it would be wrong to subject even the degenerates of Northern California to naked goons.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I meant spare clothes! :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm back from a weekend off for the holiday! Ropes and chains get us down just fine.

We make it a good week of travel without anything else happening. Considering the river conditions, I just ford it.

Where have I heard that name before?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hastings Cutoff, you say? I get a good vibe from that name, I'm sure nothing bad could possibly happen there.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

As entertaining as the Hastings Cutoff might wind up being... take the California Trail.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
It's the wrong time of year for that kind of fun, so take the California trail

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Think of how much TIME we could save with the cutoff! Think how many abandoned wagons we'll find!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

California here we come!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Cutoff!. Nothing could go wrong.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
It's even CALLED a cutoff! Let's cutoff months of our journey with the Hastings Cutoff.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
...California Trail

Goodguy3 posted:

I meant spare clothes! :colbert:

Hastings meant for no one to get cannibalized, but that ain't what happened now is it. :v:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
We are already making good time, lets not mess with this "cutoff". California Trail.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You all say we’re making good time as it is, but you know who’s sucking up all of that gold at the end before we get there?

That’s right, people who got there even faster than us.

Take the cutoff.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
We'll get all the gold we'd ever want by making/repairing guns and trading them for gold dust when we get there, so California

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

gotta go fast

cutoff

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

imo we could use the slight increase in travel time to use up more of our whiskey, so avoid any of these so-called “cut offs”

according to Doctor Stringfellow who sells me my daily Opio-Coca vitality tonic, whiskey goes bad if you don’t drink it quickly enough

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
As much as it'd be funny to take the cutoff, I'd rather do this right. California Trail.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

California trail.

We are going to California, after all.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Fun fact: You literally cannot pull a Donner party in this game. Unlike OT2, where leaving at the same time as the Dennor Party and getting here in winter had a special game over, the game actually prevents you from traveling if you try to leave too late, forcing you to spend the winter in Winter Quarters way back near Independence.

Still, stick to the trail anyway..

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
California here we come!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heir03 posted:

As much as it'd be funny to take the cutoff, I'd rather do this right. California Trail.
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I like the idea of some 10-year old kid who had no idea about the history of the cutoff just innocently clicking on it and following a slow descent into misery and madness.