Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have much regrets about being an Intel fan boy when building my system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You have regrets? I bought an i7 NUC and got an eGPU setup that didn't have a high enough wattage rating to run my 1080 Ti normally while I waited for the new Ryzens and Turing GPUs. At least the NUCs are useful as Kubernetes nodes in the future though but boy is it lame having to downclock my GPU every time I want to play anything framerate unlocked or train a non-trivial net via Tensorflow.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What’s the point of a NUC with an external GPU setup?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You really shouldn’t regret Intel purchases, at least yet. Well, maybe 6th and 7th gen. 3rd gen Ryzen will probably over promise and under deliver in anything but synthetics like the Ryzens before them. Even if they don’t, the motherboard manufacturers are recommending new motherboards for 3rd gen anyway.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
just saw this while on instagram.

Silverstone SG14 seen at Computex '19

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I got lucky and snatched a Louqe Ghost S1 during the brief window when they were sold at Amazon. I have since received and put it next to my NCASE M1 for comparison.

The finish on the S1 is quite noticeably superior to the M1's anodized aluminum. The S1 seems like a sandblasted or powder coated finish very similar to that of a Razer Blade laptop. The aluminum panels also seem to be about twice as thick as the M1's. The S1 definitely looks more refined sitting on the desk.

The M1 is the more practical case though, with the front USB ports and the flexibility for cooling options right out of the box. The S1 is not as attractive with the top hat and at that point its not much smaller than the M1.
Here are some pictures of comparison:

https://imgur.com/a/j7vAxbA/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

buglord posted:

Unf

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I barged into their discord and asked the dude on-site for more deets. It’ll be a couple days before he can get a closer look at it again. :(

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm kinda torn between the Fractal Nano S (with a SFF PSU) and the new Dan Case v4 or maybe a Streacom DA2. Even though I have a large desk with plenty of space, I've always been interested in tiny PCs.

I haven't had anything but ATX builds so far - do you think the lower CPU TDP (in my case I'd go for a 65W Ryzen 3 part) something like the Dan Case imposes is going to be noticeable while gaming? I'm mainly interested in World of Warcraft & maybe some current AAA. Benchmarks seems to point to "no", just looking for some personal experiences.

VulgarandStupid posted:

You really shouldn’t regret Intel purchases, at least yet. Well, maybe 6th and 7th gen. 3rd gen Ryzen will probably over promise and under deliver in anything but synthetics like the Ryzens before them. Even if they don’t, the motherboard manufacturers are recommending new motherboards for 3rd gen anyway.

With how much performance all those bug mitigations are sapping, Intel is certainly working on meeting AMD.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 28, 2019

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

necrobobsledder posted:

I see a lot of SFF builders using blower based GPU coolers while using an AIO for the CPU. Given that GPUs are a much bigger power consumer than a CPU in a gaming machine why don't more people have hybrid coolers for their GPUs and use a fairly lower profile HSF for the CPU? I ask partly because I think almost every SFF case I've seen like the Louqe Ghost and the NCase M1 were designed where there's no space for the pipes near the GPU and it's basically impossible to buy a smaller end SFF case because of the tubes coming off the GPU. I'm mostly annoyed trying to fit all my crap into a smaller case but it seems inevitable that I'm going to be back in a larger case with sound dampening material and accepting that a HSF that weighs 1 kg is the better all-around option.

I'm going to give the Hunter Duet a try pretty soon in my old Shuttle SZ77R5 case. It's about the only dual block AIO I've run across that will actually fit in a smaller case. No way it will handle high-end stuff with a massive overclock, but I'm planning on a 3700x to go with my 1070, and it should easily handle that, especially since I don't plan on overclocking.

Yeah, it's nothing fancy, fitting in my old case will scratch the modding itch I've had lately, and at $150 here in Oz, it's quite reasonably priced.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What’s the point of a NUC with an external GPU setup?
My CPU and mobo burned out at the same time and since I was anticipating moving house and getting a MacBook Pro it made more sense. I suppose it beats buying either a Razer Core or MacBook Pro on top of it like I originally wanted to try. The NUC was maybe $300 and was a lot less to haul than a case, although an eGPU is basically a bad mini ITX case overall. External GPUs can be odd on laptops because they have built-in displays and may require fiddling to get them to route signals through the more optimal path, so I’ve gotten some mileage out of it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Lambert posted:

With how much performance all those bug mitigations are sapping, Intel is certainly working on meeting AMD.

Do you have any benchmarks for the bug mitigation?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do you have any benchmarks for the bug mitigation?
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mds-zombieload-mit&num=1

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

JBark posted:

I'm going to give the Hunter Duet a try pretty soon in my old Shuttle SZ77R5 case. It's about the only dual block AIO I've run across that will actually fit in a smaller case. No way it will handle high-end stuff with a massive overclock, but I'm planning on a 3700x to go with my 1070, and it should easily handle that, especially since I don't plan on overclocking.

Yeah, it's nothing fancy, fitting in my old case will scratch the modding itch I've had lately, and at $150 here in Oz, it's quite reasonably priced.

I really want to see that build.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Pulled the trigger on a Dan A4 V4 on caseking.de since I'd rather have the case arrive before doing my final check on components and wanting to see how 7-7 pans out. My first SFF build :ohdear:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

buglord posted:

That looks like poo poo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That looks like poo poo

Turns out it’s even worse looking on the other side. Lemme see if I can find a pic.

eames
May 9, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That looks like poo poo

marketing dept will blame bad sales numbers on the lack of RGB LEDs

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The SG line has always been weird front panels paired with mismatched bland boxes. I've always wondered if they were meant to slot into an alcove that fits tightly around the front and hides the back.

That said, brushed aluminum and mesh is a bit better than "plastic subwoofer from 2002".

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 4, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I guess for some reason they really can't afford to hire just one person with half a clue about design or aesthetics.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Llamadeus posted:

I guess for some reason they really can't afford to hire just one person with half a clue about design or aesthetics.

They should hire Luigi Colani to design new cases:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They should just make a cheese grater front panel

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Llamadeus posted:

another angle of the SG-14:

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
That case looks like early 2000s aesthetics.

I just finished a build with a Sliger SM560. Quite a treat, I really like this case. I also used the Asetek 645LC cooler. The overall goal was something I can easily carry between my office and living room so I don't give my girlfriend a concussion when we're both using the office and I'm in VR. https://imgur.com/a/NchneKY

Full parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/porksmash/saved/WTgJbv

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

that looks like an android le school Shuttle

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

They managed to make the cool tempered glass side panel look exactly like a microwave oven door.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Love too put my GPU up against a solid panel

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

buglord posted:

another angle of the SG-14:

This is the Node 304 with a little panel stuck to the front lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is the Node 304 with a little panel stuck to the front lol

The Node 304 at least has vents on the side and doesnt look like a Windows XP Media Player skin.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
A couple of years back I was looking at building a pc in a Core 500 but ended up not pulling the trigger. I'm back to thinking about it again and am looking at cases, but it seems the Core 500 still might be the best option? Is that correct? I'm after something small but not necessarily the absolute smallest, and something that's not £200 which sadly rules out the In Win and the DA2 etc. I'm probably going to wait for the Ryzen 3s to drop so there's no rush.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It's mostly still the same alternatives eg the SG13B or the Cougar QBX, plus cases releasing soon that were shown off at Computex, eg the Silverstone case above or: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/coolermaster-h100-airflow-case-computex,news-60825.html

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Llamadeus posted:

It's mostly still the same alternatives eg the SG13B or the Cougar QBX, plus cases releasing soon that were shown off at Computex, eg the Silverstone case above or: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/coolermaster-h100-airflow-case-computex,news-60825.html

Thanks. The H100 looks like it might be good if it supports full length GPUs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
SG13 is a fun build but its one of those cases you have to measure twice, buy once when it comes to component shopping. It gets cramped very quickly when you have an ATX PSU full sized GPU, and SSD's. That said, that curious little shoebox handled my EVGA GTX 1070 just fine and at least lets you put a Noctua L9i inside if you must use an ATX PSU. Going SFF will allow you some taller heatsinks, since the PSU is mounted above it. It looked fairly clean when I went that route and replaced my 2.5" SSDs with M.2 drives instead.

I'm still miffed the SG14 looks as goofy as it does in 2019. How in the world did they come to that design

3peat
May 6, 2010

Lungboy posted:

A couple of years back I was looking at building a pc in a Core 500 but ended up not pulling the trigger. I'm back to thinking about it again and am looking at cases, but it seems the Core 500 still might be the best option? Is that correct? I'm after something small but not necessarily the absolute smallest, and something that's not £200 which sadly rules out the In Win and the DA2 etc. I'm probably going to wait for the Ryzen 3s to drop so there's no rush.

A cool thing you can do with the Core 500 is to use the fan at the back for intake, put a tower cooler on the CPU but reversed, and use two fans at the top for exhaust, which would create a negative pressure airflow that would probably help a lot with GPU temps

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

3peat posted:

A cool thing you can do with the Core 500 is to use the fan at the back for intake, put a tower cooler on the CPU but reversed, and use two fans at the top for exhaust, which would create a negative pressure airflow that would probably help a lot with GPU temps

Does the core suffer with GPU temps then? I don't remember reading about that.

The Lian Li TU150 could be interesting if the thermals aren't destroyed by the glass sides. The Evolv Shift Air might be decent too.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone know of detailed thermal tests for the QBD or Kaze?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I have an SG10B as my current case, but looking to upgrade when Ryzen 3 comes out. I want to go water cooling and use a 280mm rad, without going much taller than the SG10B. Don't need to go any smaller, either.
(Trying to stick it in an ikea kallax unit) Possible?

Failing that I'm thinking of a NZXT H210i (granted, 2x120 not 2x140) and an ITX board and just pulling one of the kallax shelves out to make vertical space. Good plan? Case suggestions/alternatives? Don't need any 2.5/2.5 drive slots, going all m.2.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 10, 2019

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

The Core 500's stock 140mm exhaust fan is more than enough to cool a gaming system. Just not anything aggressively overclocked.

See here where it handles a i5-4690K plus GTX 980, and manages to run prime plus furmark (290w total power) without anything throttling.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1479-page4.html

It can handle the cooling because it has well-designed air inlets. Contrary to comments above, you don't need to touch anything in the case cooling path (as long as you keep it to 6 cores or less , and no power-hog AMD cards.).

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 23, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

defaultluser posted:

The Core 500's stock 140mm exhaust fan is more than enough to cool a gaming system. Just not anything aggressively overclocked.

See here where it handles a i5-4690K plus GTX 980, and manages to run prime plus furmark (290w total power) without anything throttling.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1479-page4.html

It can handle the cooling because it has well-designed air inlets. Contrary to comments above, you don't need to touch anything in the case cooling path (as long as you keep it to 6 cores or less , and no power-hog AMD cards.).

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on a 2600 or 2600x once the 3000s drop as hopefully there will be a price reduction so that fits the 6 core restriction. Still waiting for some numbers on the new Lian Li case and possibly the Evolv shift air, although that cant fit a dtx board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If anyone can help me find a specific discontinued case for sale, I'd appreciate it a ton.

Cooltek w1 black no window.

Also listed as
Rosewill legacy w1
Jonsbro w1

Think there's no stock left anywhere, but goons do the impossible sometimes.