Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Alien Isolation ... running around

Just reading that is enough to make me paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Just reading that is enough to make me paranoid.

Well that was certainly an ominous comment. I have a feeling I won't be able to run around for much longer. :ohdear:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah you're early days if you're honestly bopping about.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well that was certainly an ominous comment. I have a feeling I won't be able to run around for much longer. :ohdear:
Another suggestion: running is a bad idea, but hiding and staying put is equally bad - if the Alien is around and you just keep staying still and hiding, the Alien isn't going to leave the area and will eventually find you. It's up to you to take the risk and move forward, or try to find a way to distract the Alien or divert its attention away from you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

That's the idea. Lots of horror games do that to you now. It's a total cheat, but it works.
First game I experienced this was Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Alien: Isolation hosed it up by having you find a gun you can't pick up because reasons a few minutes before someone hands you a gun anyway. It was such a "You are playing a game" moment it really took me out of the experience.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Splicer posted:

First game I experienced this was Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
Fun trivia this game does give you a gun about halfway through, and eventually you're straight up massacring Dagon-creatures on a boat with an auto-turret, but my OG Xbox copy was bugged so after three long playthroughs only to flame out at each spot back in 2008 I gave up and let YouTube finish it for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

Fun trivia this game does give you a gun about halfway through, and eventually you're straight up massacring Dagon-creatures on a boat with an auto-turret, but my OG Xbox copy was bugged so after three long playthroughs only to flame out at each spot back in 2008 I gave up and let YouTube finish it for me.
Oh I know, and I've never have a game give me the same level of "Oh thank you Jesus" as seeing that first glorious pea shooter just sitting there waiting for me to pick it up. Followed by several minutes of nervously crawling around waiting for the other shoe to drop. By contrast in Alien Isolation I saw the dropped gun, inched forward, spent at least 10 minutes mashing various buttons trying to pick it up, assumed it had bugged out, reloaded, tried again, and finally checked a walkthrough and got so mad I quit the game and didn't come back to it for a week.

No matter how good the rest of the game is that is one bit where Alien Isolation just hosed up the mood big time.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Splicer posted:

Oh I know, and I've never have a game give me the same level of "Oh thank you Jesus" as seeing that first glorious pea shooter just sitting there waiting for me to pick it up. Followed by several minutes of nervously crawling around waiting for the other shoe to drop. By contrast in Alien Isolation I saw the dropped gun, inched forward, spent at least 10 minutes mashing various buttons trying to pick it up, assumed it had bugged out, reloaded, tried again, and finally checked a walkthrough and got so mad I quit the game and didn't come back to it for a week.

No matter how good the rest of the game is that is one bit where Alien Isolation just hosed up the mood big time.

Hate to say it chief but I think that one's on you

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Biplane posted:

Hate to say it chief but I think that one's on you

This guy gets it. Maybe it's a bit of a minor stumble regarding in-universe logic and player immersion but if you seriously spent anywhere close to 10 minutes mashing the keyboard to pick up one item that was clearly not meant to be picked up, that's definitely something you inflicted on yourself.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The only borderline game-breaking issue I ran into in Isolation was also my fault: I never found the medkit schematic near the beginning of the game, so for most of my first play through I was hamstrung by the sliver of health I had left - it's possible to make it through all of the game without injury but it's really hard once you run into armed survivors. Fortunately the entire map is effectively open, so it only took about an hour and a half of solid backtracking to find the schematic and start building medkits.

It's also very possible to run - even to attempt a speedrun of parts of the game - you just have to really know when to slow down and find a hiding spot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I found Isolation was a fairly buggy experience. The most regular thing was dropped items floating in mid-air instead of lying on the ground, which was just a weird immersion-breaking nuisance. It was playable enough up until the reactor core when it started getting really obnoxious, since at that point levels started not loading right so enemies wouldn't spawn and switches wouldn't work. That was especially frustrating since it wasn't immediately apparent that there was a problem and I'd spend ages looking for switches etc that just didn't exist. That's also the point when the game's narrative starts to outstay its welcome so the end stretch became a slog.

Overall I'd still say it's a decent game and worth playing, but I can't give it an unreserved recommendation.

For anyone too chickenshit to play Isolation, there's also the "digital series" on IGN (lol) and Youtube which basically turned the game into a series of shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wafu9S8Mjas

The animation is pretty hilarious since they've obviously converted a 1st-person game into a 3rd-person movie and Isolation's facial animations were already a little screwy, but it's not too bad once you get used to it. Obviously a lot of content ends up being cut or minimised, but the only decision there that really stood out as questionable to me was the Hive and reveal of multiple aliens. It also actually does a decent job of expanding the game's ending and preserves the ambiguity of whether Amanda got facehugged.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm playing isolation because of this thread and yeah, when I got to the part where you see a gun on the ground but can't pick it up for no discernable reason, it completely took me out of the game too, because were I for reals in that situation you bet your asses I'd strap up the first chance I got. I thought it was a bug until I read it here, too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

frogge posted:

I'm playing isolation because of this thread and yeah, when I got to the part where you see a gun on the ground but can't pick it up for no discernable reason, it completely took me out of the game too, because were I for reals in that situation you bet your asses I'd strap up the first chance I got. I thought it was a bug until I read it here, too.

Please stop.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

What? That's a perfectly reasonable immersion breaking complaint about the game and it's fairly dishonest to say otherwise.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
immerse yourself in shame juice

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gonna chime in to say I didn't think it was a "bug" but I did think it was a highly avoidable and unfortunate bit of fourth-wall breaking in a game that has relatively minimal and naturalistic UI elements specifically to create atmosphere.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I never experienced any of these bugs you're talking about on my PS4.

Can we talk about the DLC mini-campaigns where you play as crew of the Nostromo? I don't remember ever completing them; the part where you're in the labyrinthine vents felt entirely impossible - maybe that's the point? Maybe I should have picked someone other than Dallas?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It is good and not some kind of betrayal or weakness of character to acknowledge the flaws in things you like. I enjoyed Isolation (I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet because reasons) but that bit always stuck out to me as a really poorly executed part, especially when I'd seen it done so much better in an arguably otherwise inferior game.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I played isolation when it came out and i have no clue what the gently caress upset you guys so much

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm still going to play the game all the way through, and it is still a fun and enjoyable game and all, that just seemed like a massive oversight.

I haven't started the DLC yet.

edit: Exactly what Splicer said.

frogge fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 27, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

take a hike, Burke

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Is there a decent set of deck plans for the Sulaco ? I've got an RPG itch and I need deck plans to scratch it. I've seen the exterior diagrams and one side view with the interior detailed, but I want deck plans. My Google-fu is failing me, help !

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

I never experienced any of these bugs you're talking about on my PS4.

Can we talk about the DLC mini-campaigns where you play as crew of the Nostromo? I don't remember ever completing them; the part where you're in the labyrinthine vents felt entirely impossible - maybe that's the point? Maybe I should have picked someone other than Dallas?

I don't think picking a different crewman made any real difference? The vent section was stressful, but I think it just came down to memorising the right turns.

I never completed the Last Survivor DLC. I got up to what I'd guess was the last section, but the alien seemed like an even more aggressive bastard in that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Speaking of RPG itches the new RPG is up for pre order:

https://alien-rpg.com/

I spring for the bundle thats like a hundred bucks in viking dollars because I'm an idiot. The intro PDF has me pretty optimistic about the finished product.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mllaneza posted:

Is there a decent set of deck plans for the Sulaco ? I've got an RPG itch and I need deck plans to scratch it. I've seen the exterior diagrams and one side view with the interior detailed, but I want deck plans. My Google-fu is failing me, help !
Not exactly, but you could crib from the Nintendo DS game "Aliens: Infestation" that takes place on the Sulaco and has you going deck by deck. It's a good game and I recommend playing it.

That said, we're getting a book called "Alien: The Blueprints" later this year, I suspect that will have deck plans of some kind:

https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Blueprints-Graham-Langridge/dp/1785654950/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I feel like the Colonial Marines Technical manual has to at least have a rough layout but my copy is lost to the sands of history.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

I feel like the Colonial Marines Technical manual has to at least have a rough layout but my copy is lost to the sands of history.

It picks out the exterior weapons, but not the interior decks.

If you want a replacement copy, it has been reprinted (finally):

Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual https://www.amazon.com/dp/1781161313/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Tqj7Cb8H2HBX3

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

So just for the hell of it I took the dialogue from the first battle and ran it through the GPT-2 neural network for a while to make a procedurally-generated extended scene. It had a tough time with it. fuckin chaos..

quote:

VASQUEZ: Let's rock!
GORMAN: Who's firing? I ordered a hold fire, dammit!
HUDSON: Let's get the gently caress out of here!
HICKS: Not that tunnel, the other one!
CROWE: You sure? Watch it... behind you. loving move, will you!
RIPLEY: GET THEM OUT OF THERE! DO IT NOW!
GORMAN: Apone, I want you to lay down a suppressing fire with the incinerators and fall back by squads to the APC.
APONE: Say again? All after incinerators? Dietrich? Crowe? Sound off! Wierzbowski?
HUDSON: We're getting juked! We're gonna die in here!
APONE: Yeah. Right. Right! gently caress the heat exchanger!
RIPLEY: They're cut off! Do something!
GORMAN: Ripley, what the hell? What are you doing? Turn around! That's an order!
VASQUEZ: Drake! He's down!
HICKS: He's gone! Forget it, he's gone!
VASQUEZ: No.. no he's not. He's..
HICKS: Let's go! Get on the Goddamn door!

VASQUEZ: You gotta move faster, buddy! He's going to hear your drat screams! drat drat!
HICKS: I've gotta move faster, buddy! Get me out of here!
CROWE: (screaming)
VASQUEZ: That's going for you! You can't take him down that tunnel! He's a freak!
CROWE: Who's that bastard?
JOHNSON: Well uh...
HUDSON: I don't know what that is, but he's got those loving blades?
VASQUEZ: What is that blade?
HILL: Those can be taken...
HICKS: Wait. What's up with you people?
CROWE: It's the heat exchanger we need help with now!!
APONE: How far away were they?
HICKS: A few meters away. Keep moving, they're getting pulled.
CROWE: I hate all heaters and loving cooling systems, I don't care. It should be the left one!
FALCON: You all right? There's a hole in the wall. A big hole.
CROWE: Where, tell me?
JOE: How deep does the hole get in the wall?
RIVERO: Drake!
HUDSON: He's down, so don't give it up on us.
GORMAN: Drake! Get that.. DAMMIT! HE'S TAKEN DOWN. And yes, it's true.. Drake just died.
HUDSON: Whoa he must have gone through the hole a couple times. He should've heard us scream.
CROWE: No, we're not. Look.. he coulda been... there, let's get the hell on him.
RIPLEY: Hold your fire!
VASQUEZ: But it's over there!
CLERR: Come on!
HIGGINS: What the gently caress is going on there?
HICKS: We're supposed to be evacuating the ship! What's going on?
[They exit the heat exchanger]
VASQUEZ: Crowe! Get out of the way! You got him!
RIPLEY: Hey!! That stupid loving bitch! She's got a knife in her throat! She's going to kill us... gettin' revenge!
RICE: Ripley is going down. You're gonna be fine.
[TILT UP SHOT OF A BRIDGE BEHIND SHADOW OF FLOWER]
COWELL: What happened? Ripley is dead! She's been shot! Don't leave her!
APONE: She's gone now! No! No no no no no no, go!
CROWE: He's shooting us! They've got us. Let's go!
HICKS: We gotta make this quick, let's get to the heliport!
RISHA: Get to the door! Get to the door!!! Get to the door!!
CROWE: Alright.
HICKS: Get the doors!
VASQUEZ: You wanna get out of here?
HICKS: gently caress no no no, we gotta do this!
GORMAN: Let's go! They'll know if the hold fire goes.
REINHARDT: Alright, okay you can't have him in there.
FALCON: They're on our door! We gotta get out!
GORMAN: Don't worry, don't worry, we're all fine. We'll get out of here okay. Take care of the kids too.
APONE: Get them inside. Move out! Come!
HICKS: What's wrong with you people? Get our loving doors out of here!!
VASQUEZ: He took down my guy. All I can do is...
KASAN: We're gonna hit her right here!
VASQUEZ: Don't worry about it, there's a way. Take out the guns, bring down the roof. Let's go out with her.
HUCKY: Hey, you guys look great.
HICKS: You're all right...
HELEN: This is what we do.
VASQUEZ: I've been waiting, this is what you guys do.
KRAMER: He's taken off.
GORMAN: We're gonna get you inside, let 'em out!
BARROW: I don't know!
HICKS: I don't wanna hear it!
VASQUEZ: drat, this is gonna have to get worse before it gets better.
ROCKY: This is him.
APONE: I told you... I said it. We're gonna die in here. They're cut back, we can't make it!

The rest of the film, I'm sorry, I know, is pretty much that, a bunch of shots were taken while the actors were doing something else. I'm sorry. I have to get this over with, but you're pretty bad at explaining yourself. It's okay to have a breakdown, as long as it's on location or somewhere cool and dark. Or whatever it is. You are an old school movie maker.
Posted by Jens at 7:26 AM
I have no idea what that ending means

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I like when random characters start showing up, like Hill, Clerr, Rocky, and Higgins.

quote:

CROWE: (screaming)
You and me both, buddy.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 28, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Syd Midnight posted:

So just for the hell of it I took the dialogue from the first battle and ran it through the GPT-2 neural network for a while to make a procedurally-generated extended scene. It had a tough time with it. fuckin chaos..

Well that's certainly something.

Ok goon project. We're going to make this extended scene. I have $10,000 to fund it.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Syd Midnight posted:

RIPLEY: Hey!! That stupid loving bitch! She's got a knife in her throat! She's going to kill us... gettin' revenge! 
RICE: Ripley is going down. You're gonna be fine. 
[TILT UP SHOT OF A BRIDGE BEHIND SHADOW OF FLOWER] 

A masterpiece

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

CROWE: I hate all heaters and loving cooling systems, I don't care.
:same:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

VASQUEZ: I've been waiting, this is what you guys do.
KRAMER: He's taken off.
GORMAN: We're gonna get you inside, let 'em out!

Well now I want to see what happens when the characters from Seinfeld are the ones crewing the Nostromo.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GEORGE: I was in the cocoon! I was in the cocoon!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Syd Midnight posted:

My god this is brilliant.

quote:

Ash: Ripley, for God's sake, this is the first time that we've encountered a species like this. It has to go back, all sorts of tests have to be made.
Ripley: Ash, are you kidding? This thing bled acid, and who knows what it's gonna do when it's dead?
Ash: I think it's safe to assume it isn't a zombie. Dallas, it has to go back.
Dallas: Well, I'd soon as not...burn it at the stake, but you're the science officer; it's your decision, Ash.

Ripley: ...what? Ash: I know this, Ripley, and you know this, Dallas, but the team is out here and Ash can have all the evidence he needs...
Dallas: And the reason we must do this is to save the girl, Ripley.
Ripley: And do you mean to say it! We do not want her to be dead!
Dallas: We are here to save her. What we cannot do is tell her that the only way to save her is to give in to Ash's demand to put her in her coffin. Ripley... I feel I must ask you again. Ash... when did you learn that...that you and Ash can't just walk in, throw that thing of yours away, and go? Ripley: I think I remember...the last time I saw the one Ash threw away!
Ash: Just once. He said it was "good enough."
Ripley: Then he was right! Ash, how would you like for...for us to have a baby?"
Ash: Ripley, there are so many things I don't want to hear. Just listen! I don't care what they say! Just tell me! Ripley?
The twins talk about what they would have done if Ash left all the pieces in the coffin.
Ripley: No, wait! I've got news! We did it! We did it! We...
Ash starts to run from the building. Ash asks what the twins think of the way he acts.
Ash: They think I'm a complete jerk.
The two girls say Ash can handle what he goes through, but he can't handle the guilt. They make their way up a hallway. They hear a scream.
Ruby: There's something inside me.
She's crying.
Rose: I'm glad you're okay.
Giles: Are you okay! Just...what happened to Ash?
Sun: I'm glad it worked out for everyone and for me.
Sun tries to comfort Ruby.
Giles: Ruby! Don't worry. Don't worry...it'll be fine.
Giles and Summer laugh as she asks if she can keep her job. Ruby nods as though she's having a panic attack.
She asks to change into her new outfit. After that, they move into a nearby kitchen while everyone is back in their rooms discussing their plans for Team RWBY.
Sun: You know, it's weird. I'm sure my grades haven't been too bad, but...I'm not sure...I really get why I'm going to Beacon.
He asks what's wrong and Ruby says, "Well, it was something so...simple." She pauses and then suddenly stops for what felt like seconds. She slowly gets up and leans down to hug Ash. Suddenly, she sees the blood on his pants. He looks at her, and he says, "I don't know. It didn't seem right."

Actually this one is probably better.

quote:

Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.
Lambert: You admire it.
Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor...unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Parker: Well, I don't. I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.
[Ripley moves to turn Ash off, but he interrupts]
Ash: Last words.
Ripley: What?

Ash: Leave right now.
Lambert: If I am not the one who's dying, there wouldn't be a need for me to save them. The way things are, I'm not doing my job at all.
Ripley: But, Ash...you are.
Ash: I am. I'm a parasite. My only task is to do the job we were assigned to do in the First Colony.
Ripley: But...you're a human...
Ash: I am not. I am an extension of the First Colony, a clone of the original.
[They look up into a mirror, looking to see themselves in a bright pink and white and pink, blue, and green.]
Ash: I understand the dilemma of the colonists. They were genetically engineered to work for humanity...
Ripley: And you've grown attached to human society, too?
Ash: I do. I've been...
[They look at each other, seeing how they have created their own lives and relationships, and now it's time to leave.]
Ash: ...and I have an appointment. And a little bit of time.
Ripley: The assignment was that we would travel to our new colony in twenty five years.
Ash: And I thought I knew what it would be like.
Ripley: But, you seem to have no ideas...
[Ripley turns to the mirror. Suddenly a young white girl appears in it and looks confused. They stare at her]
Ripley: Well, hello there.
The little girl's father: [looking through the mirror] Hey honey,
are we having dinner again? (She turns to Ripley and smiles)
She smiles back and starts to walk away.

Giles: So, what are you doing for dinner?
Gill: I'm just visiting for a little vacation, ya know, just some fun.
Giles: You've had a lot on your plate with the show you're doing.
Gill: Well, I'm not gonna forget about it now.
Giles: Yeah but it has to happen, and you've got to have some time alone.
Gill: Well, maybe we can talk to our mothers about that. (They leave)
Giles: But, we can still do some fun things together.
Gill: Well, that's not what I meant, is it?
Giles: You sure?
(They walk up the aisle to the bar)
Gill: Thanks.
(They head inside)

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 28, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Gill /Giles shipping wars threaten to rip the internet asunder

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1133129396901093386?s=21

Potential hint re: a DLC character in MK11?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

I like when random characters start showing up, like Hill, Clerr, Rocky, and Higgins.

I just picture a bunch of marines just popping into existence onscreen so the squad keeps getting bigger as they get more panicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just picture a bunch of marines just popping into existence onscreen so the squad keeps getting bigger as they get more panicked.

They're all xenos in crude human masks