Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It clearly says "trilogy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

Are we not counting Eoin Colfers book? Because there's absolutely a 6th. I haven't read it but I've bought it from 50 cent book bins twice.

Literally nobody counts Colfer's book. There's better H2G2 fanfic.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The ending to Mostly Harmless is perfect. :colbert:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Len posted:

Are we not counting Eoin Colfers book? Because there's absolutely a 6th. I haven't read it but I've bought it from 50 cent book bins twice.

I forgot I bought it the first time

You god drat know we're not. :mad:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

eoin "i can't avoid making everything about how great ireland is. does anyone else in here like ireland or what?" colfer

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

eating only apples posted:

:yeah:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

When I got my keyboard Kindle way back in the day, I immediately named it "The Guide". :3: (Pretty much all my tech stuff now has HHGTTG-themed names.)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I remember being personally insulted. Felt like the author coming down on high and flipping me off personally. Was it not a spiteful ending for us not reading dirk gently and asking him for more HHGttG instead? I'd love to find out that those usenet dorks lied to me and I've been feeling slighted for no reason for decades.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Krinkle posted:

I remember being personally insulted. Felt like the author coming down on high and flipping me off personally. Was it not a spiteful ending for us not reading dirk gently and asking him for more HHGttG instead? I'd love to find out that those usenet dorks lied to me and I've been feeling slighted for no reason for decades.

It was definitely a "gently caress you, I'm tired of writing about these same assholes."

Also, my only complaint about the movie is that they tried to Americanize the humor and that ruined the spirit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bell jar posted:

eoin "i can't avoid making everything about how great ireland is. does anyone else in here like ireland or what?" colfer

I didn't mind Artemis Fowl because you don't see too many Ireland set fantasy books despite everything, though it's aged kinda weirdly in retrospect. It's one of those kids/YA books that has a lot of references and themes that won't make much sense to kids but are a bit too overall juvenile for adults.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember liking the story that's ones adapted from. The two vampire stories and the finger are probably the best stories in that collection though.

Chattery Teeth got an okay adaptation as part of some anthology series that lasted like one episode

My Lovely Horse posted:

If I'm gonna produce a Dark Tower do-over I'm gonna need like MCU levels of cash cause I'd obviously need to build up to it with a whole shared universe, or it isn't The Dark Tower.

I saw some lovely article about how "hey guys, It doesn't have to end with chapter 2, just look at the Conjuring cinematic universe and" and I died a little

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Chattery Teeth got an okay adaptation as part of some anthology series that lasted like one episode

Holy poo poo, someone else remembers Quicksilver Highway. Clive Barker wrote the other story in the episode but I can’t recall what it was.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

NtotheTC posted:

It sort of already was, it was a radio show.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I know. I just think that if it's done again that a Podcast is the best format for it. Though I suppose streaming services like netflix, et al, could also do it some service. It's just not suited to a movie. It takes a lot more time than that.

it would be neat to see an entirely different re-interpretation
wanna see it done by a blasphemously north american cast of comedians, loosely scripted with a lot of room for adlib and playing off each other

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Ultimate Question is pretty good too

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I'm watching Infinity War again.

Ned totally tells the audience that they all are, in fact, going to die. And then later, as soon as Peter says "Jesus" Iron Man stops - Only people from earth would know about Jesus.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Nazattack posted:

I'm watching Infinity War again.

Ned totally tells the audience that they all are, in fact, going to die. And then later, as soon as Peter says "Jesus" Iron Man stops - Only people from earth would know about Jesus.

No, Peter's from Missouri.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I saw some lovely article about how "hey guys, It doesn't have to end with chapter 2, just look at the Conjuring cinematic universe and" and I died a little

It was a good adaptation and I've got high hopes for the second one. If they used It's success to kick off a "King-verse", I wouldn't mind it. Unless you're talking about "spin off as many movies tying in to Pennywise as you can"... no, just no. Partially because that means Dreamcatcher would have to be adapted, and that book was just poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Randalor posted:

It was a good adaptation and I've got high hopes for the second one. If they used It's success to kick off a "King-verse", I wouldn't mind it. Unless you're talking about "spin off as many movies tying in to Pennywise as you can"... no, just no. Partially because that means Dreamcatcher would have to be adapted, and that book was just poo poo.

Don't you mean 're-adapted'? Or did I miss some part of the conversation?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285531/

Or was that :thejoke:?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

King novels all (or almost all) take place in the same universe anyway and he throws little references to other books all over the place. Treating them like spinoffs seems pointless but you can definitely do stuff like that. The new Pet Sematary has a cut off conversation about a St. Bernard and a lingering shot on a sign for the Derry exit on the highway. That’s really all you need.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Absolutely, the series is perfect for a show like that because you could play around with expectations by making it clear to the audience that this is not the same version of events they read in the books. It would make for a really interesting dynamic for book fans where you're not only watching to see the books adapted, you're also keeping an eye out for changes and then trying to predict how those changes might effect events down the line.

Well, in the movie Roland has the Horn of Eld so there's that.

Also the Dark Tower movie was fine. It really needed to be a half hour longer, though. Not only did it need to beat a little, but an extra few scenes of Roland and Jake bonding while traveling would have deepened the character growth immensely.

Also also, the HHGTTG movie was fine if, as others said, you remember that it's been adapted to every medium and they're all different.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

And if you remember that half the things that were added were added by Douglas Adams.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The ending was the only think I really disliked about the Hitchhiker film. Everyone on Earth is brought back to life, Arthur professes his love to Trillian and they fly away for more adventures. So safe and happy and Holywood. Bleh.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Don't you mean 're-adapted'? Or did I miss some part of the conversation?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285531/

Or was that :thejoke:?

I forgot Dreamcatcher was a movie already.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

Well, in the movie Roland has the Horn of Eld so there's that.

Also the Dark Tower movie was fine. It really needed to be a half hour longer, though. Not only did it need to beat a little, but an extra few scenes of Roland and Jake bonding while traveling would have deepened the character growth immensely.

Also also, the HHGTTG movie was fine if, as others said, you remember that it's been adapted to every medium and they're all different.

The Dark Tower movie was just boring. The final battle was good and Roland’s very limited interaction with New York was funny, but everything else was yawn inducing. That battle with Roland and his father was also weird. They took this epic battle that multiple books allude to and reduced it to two gunslingers and a sorcerer plus some fog machines.

I know it wasn’t an adaption of the books and rather a continuation from the last volume, but there was still so much good stuff in the books they could have included and inexplicably did not. Lobsmonsteries replaced with dog creatures? WTF? It felt like they had a major budget cut at some point in production and had to scale down their ambitions. That or they were so confident this would be a hit that they wanted to save stuff for the TV adaption and sequels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

King novels all (or almost all) take place in the same universe anyway and he throws little references to other books all over the place. Treating them like spinoffs seems pointless but you can definitely do stuff like that. The new Pet Sematary has a cut off conversation about a St. Bernard and a lingering shot on a sign for the Derry exit on the highway. That’s really all you need.

If you want a connected King adaptation story there's Castle Rock on Hulu. The show is set in Castle Rock but involves places like Shawshank prison and characters like former Sheriff
Alan Pangborn (a character from previous books like The Dark Half and Needful Things)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

muscles like this! posted:

If you want a connected King adaptation story there's Castle Rock on Hulu. The show is set in Castle Rock but involves places like Shawshank prison and characters like former Sheriff
Alan Pangborn (a character from previous books like The Dark Half and Needful Things)

Is it any good? The mist sucked pretty bad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was about to tell you to go to hell but then I remembered they made a Mist TV show. gently caress, that sucked. Thank goodness it got canceled.

Castle Rock is good. It's a slow burn kind of show and does the atmosphere of small town Stephen King well. It's relatively forgettable though. I'm having trouble remembering much from it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

Its pretty good. The basic premise is that a young man (played by Bill Skarsgard) is found locked in a cage in a hidden room in Shawshank prison right after the about to retire warden kills himself. The only thing he says is the name of Henry Deaver, a former Castle Rock resident who is now a criminal defense lawyer. Henry returns to Castle Rock and has to deal with the mysteries of his past and the growing evil taking over the town that is somehow connected to the young man.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Castle Rock's's ending falls flat though. Completely ruined it for me.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Sounds very on-brand for Stephen King. :v:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Patattack posted:

In fact I think the only misstep in the whole core cast of the HHGTTG movie was Zooey Deschanel, who wasn't bad, but didn't really resemble the Trillian I remembered from the books.

Weird how people don't remember that the Trillian from the books is most likely Middle-Eastern, complete with headscarf.

To quote Wikipedia and other sources which in turn are quoting her introduction:
Physically, she is described as "a slim, darkish humanoid, with long waves of black hair, a full mouth, an odd little knob of a nose and ridiculously brown eyes," wearing a red headscarf and a long flowing silky brown dress, looking "vaguely Arabic."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, I literally asked for this a page or so ago, and guess what?

Creepshow is becoming an anthology series!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

rydiafan posted:

Also the Dark Tower movie was fine.

get
the gently caress
outta here

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

QUICK! Wish for a new spine for Lowtax while you’ve still got it!

And gently caress needing another streaming subscription to watch one show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Weird how people don't remember that the Trillian from the books is most likely Middle-Eastern, complete with headscarf.

To quote Wikipedia and other sources which in turn are quoting her introduction:
Physically, she is described as "a slim, darkish humanoid, with long waves of black hair, a full mouth, an odd little knob of a nose and ridiculously brown eyes," wearing a red headscarf and a long flowing silky brown dress, looking "vaguely Arabic."

I doubt there were many Middle Eastern women called Patricia Macmillan in London in 1978.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jedit posted:

I doubt there were many Middle Eastern women called Patricia Macmillan in London in 1978.

If only Douglas was alive today to rowlingise this into canon.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
adams would be an insufferable twitter atheist if he was still alive. bullet dodged

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

The ending was the only think I really disliked about the Hitchhiker film. Everyone on Earth is brought back to life, Arthur professes his love to Trillian and they fly away for more adventures. So safe and happy and Holywood. Bleh.
I remember wincing in cinema at that ending.
"I think we're going the wrong way. Isn't the restaurant at the other end of the universe?"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Lampsacus posted:

I remember wincing in cinema at that ending.
"I think we're going the wrong way. Isn't the restaurant at the other end of the universe?"

I actually liked that ending, because on one hand it's a cheap, simple gag, but if you actually know the Hitchhiker's Guide books there's extra meaning to it. Marvin doesn't actually say they're going the 'wrong way', but he does say that it's at the 'other end' of the universe. Which is right for describing their mistake; Milliways isn't at the spatial end of the universe, it's at the chronological end, so physically flying there doesn't do much.

In a movie full of poor attempts at matching or changing Adams' humor, that single sentence is one that I could feel actually got it right.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:01 on May 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

this is amazing news, thank you for wishing it into existence