Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was trying to find something like that originally, but I wasnt using the correct keywords and got very poor results

"Dedicated heart rate monitor with remote data" seems to have a few good results, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

At no point is the information being monitored a first point of reference. No additional liability is being taken on by your not being helpful. It continues to be solely on the hospital and its staff.

If I notice a high heart rate that indicates something being wrong I can call the hospital and ask for a status update. This could only help the patient get better care unless the watch itself somehow physically injures him. A 25% margin of error in heartrate monitoring is still useful. That's entirely on you if you cant see this as valid use.

WearOS hardware is so bad it requires charging every 8-12 hours and the heartrate monitors so poor on them that I doubt it could tell you whether the person is alive, much less give you anywhere near an actual heartrate.

I know Apple Watches are at least used by insurance companies for some stuff, maybe they can offer something closer to what you want. Then of course there's what SlowBloke refers to, dedicated sensors, but that's even more of a black box in terms of reliability.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple Watch Series 4 ECG function is an FDA-approved medical device (in the US, obviously - other countries only have access of their local equivalent approves). It's also not a constant, ongoing thing. You have to actively use it. The regular heart rate monitor is, at least, best in class.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

The Apple Watch Series 4 ECG function is an FDA-approved medical device (in the US, obviously - other countries only have access of their local equivalent approves). It's also not a constant, ongoing thing. You have to actively use it. The regular heart rate monitor is, at least, best in class.

Is it "approved" like 737Max FAA "approved"?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Why would you have no lockscreen on your phone but use one on your watch? That lockscreen was so annoying I disabled it before a week was up, I just couldn't take it. Also why would you not just use the fingerprint reader on your phone?

If the watch is on your wrist you only enter it once. Using Google Pay forces a lockscreen on the watch, and did so on the phone as well which is why I had never used Google Pay before

I've tried using fingerprint reader before, but it's still another step to opening the phone and it's annoying

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tino posted:

Is it "approved" like 737Max FAA "approved"?
Interesting question, so I looked it up. I was wrong, and it's not "approved" it's "cleared" which is used for Class I and II medical devices. Approval is limited to Class III which are high-risk, high-benefit devices like pacemakers. Read more here!

In any case, it's not intended to replace actually talking with a doctor, just provide extra info. I don't think the OP's use-case is ideal here.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

I was trying to find something like that originally, but I wasnt using the correct keywords and got very poor results

"Dedicated heart rate monitor with remote data" seems to have a few good results, thanks!

I understand why you were frustrated by the answers you got but this use case just isn't a good match for smart watches, especially Wear OS ones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Posting this from ICU, if you get that watch and call the unit they're more than likely going to check it the first time and then after that just tell you that it's being monitored and not to worry or outright refuse to check again.

Also lots of people in the hospital have supranormal heart rates for a variety of reasons that wouldn't necessarily require intervention. Assuming you're a tech goon imagine an end-user calling the IT desk every time they heard their HDD spin up at their workstation.

If you're concerned about the quality of care being administered the best thing to do is to ask to speak to the patient care coordinator or the unit manager or similar and just discuss your concerns.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Qualcomm may finally deliver a smartwatch processor that doesn't suck

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/07/09/qualcomm-may-finally-deliver-a-smartwatch-processor-that-doesnt-suck/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, that's what we thought about the 3100 too. At this point, they haven't earned any reason to be optimistic.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They can shove the GPS and health poo poo up their rear end, I just want a battery that lasts a week and for the thing to not perform like your grandmas Windows Vista laptop she is still trying to use for facebook games in 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You'll probably only ever get one of those.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Eh, that's what we thought about the 3100 too. At this point, they haven't earned any reason to be optimistic.

All true, but at least this time there's a specific rumor

quote:

The "Wear 429" name, plus the other specifications listed, implies this new chip could be a tweaked or stripped-down version of the Snapdragon 429 Mobile Platform

quote:

The upcoming silicon will feature 64-bit support, 12nm node, Cortex A53 CPU cores, ...

Qualcomm's current Wear 3100, in comparison, uses a 32-bit design with A7-based CPU cores and a larger 28nm node.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

All true, but at least this time there's a specific rumor

Still don't trust them to gently caress it up.

Tizen just got Pujie Black support today which is going to make my Galaxy Active a ton nicer to use and push off use of my Wear OS watches even more.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The only reason this is happening is because I broke down and replaced my Moto 360/2. You're welcome.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Apparently its been discovered that disabling auto brightness speeds up performance on wearass watches. Just tried it on my Huawei watch and it actually seems to work a bit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Apparently its been discovered that disabling auto brightness speeds up performance on wearass watches. Just tried it on my Huawei watch and it actually seems to work a bit.

Seems like a big sacrifice for little if any gain. Maybe I'm alone in this but my experience with slowness on Wear watches is with waking from sleep, not actual operation once awake. I'm not sure even a modern chipset would address that lag (I could be wrong there though).

Now that I'm using a new Explorist with an equally new battery, I'm generally happy with the device and its software for the first time since Wear 1.6. My only complaint is that I know the battery could only last another 6 or so hours beyond what I'm asking of it. It's certainly not laggy or slow.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ticwatch E2 is nice, just really big. Noticeably a bit quicker at stuff than original Ticwatch E, and battery seems good, though I've only had it a couple days.

Unsure if it's true, but apparently the charging cradle included is so shittily/cheaply made, if you plug it into a charging brick that's over 1A, it'll brick the cradle to protect from frying the watch :aaaaa: Like rather than include the miniscule amount of circuitry needed for the charging cradle to negotiate power draw, they just said nah gently caress it. 3rd party chargers of course do not have this issue.

I did in fact plug the cable into an iPad charger (didn't know this could possibly have been an issue lol), and the watch wouldn't charge, so maybe true! Lots of forum posts elsewhere about people's Samsung quick chargers bricking their watch charger, too. I got a hassle free replacement via Amazon so no big deal for me right now, but still lol. Not sure I can recommend given that, but otherwise it's a nice cheap smart watch!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That seems incredibly stupid, and something that they would have had to go out of their way to do. As far as I'm aware, my HWatch's charging adapter is literally just directly connecting the USB wires to pogo pins with no additional circuitry.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just got the Ticwatch Pro, and I don't really like it - it feels too heavy and clumsy on my wrist, and I'm also a bit annoyed that there isn't native sleep tracking.

Anyone wanna buy it (I'm in Denmark if it matters)?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently, Fossil is going to bring all the new battery mode features of the new 5th generation watches to their other watches later this year.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Apparently, Fossil is going to bring all the new battery mode features of the new 5th generation watches to their other watches later this year.

Not later this year, yesterday, they're already on their page. The 5th gens also have a speaker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Not later this year, yesterday, they're already on their page. The 5th gens also have a speaker.

No, I meant the extra battery modes the 5th gen have are going to be backported to their other watches. That should be useful on my Fossil Sport when it eventually gets updated to include them. I don't really care much about Google Assistant hotword detection and the heartrate tracking is crap compared to my Galaxy Active, so having a mode where I still get notifications but saves battery overall would be nice.

That said, Samsung announced a 44mm version of the Active 2 and I think I'm going to jump on that in September to replace the Active I got back in March. My only complaint with the Active is that it's too small to look completely right on my wrist.

Also, I forgot that my Misfit Vapor had a two year warranty, so I sent that off to get fixed since the battery crapped out completely in under a year. I'm guessing I'll probably only get another year out of it based on what I hear people talk about with replacements, but at least it's something.

I do think I'm going to attempt a replacement of the battery in my Moto 360 2 as it started lasting less than an hour off the charger. It still remains my favorite form factor in all the smartwatches I've used. 46mm is the right size and a case that can be dressed up or down easily with a band change.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I had to buy a replacement 4th gen Explorist HR when the back just popped off and Fossil said it couldn't be fixed so they gave me a gift card to use for a free watch. I just got another of the same kind but while I wait I've had to use the 360/2.

Maybe my 360 is and has always been defective but the touch recognition is absolute crap compared to the Explorist. It's not even in the ballpark. On the flip side, the screen going to the edge on the 360 is far, far superior for both looks and readability (crappy resolution on the 360 notwithstanding) and of course the stand and band were both better. I definitely agree that the size of the 360 is perfect and the Explorist at 45mm with a huge bezel is a poor substitute.

With Qualcomm finally starting work on a good processor maybe there's a future watch forthcoming for me but I'd expect it will be 2 years before they start hitting shelves. The 5th gens have 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB which reviews say makes a difference but honestly the problem with the 4th gens isn't the responsiveness, it's the battery life and only a smaller process is going to help with that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

I do think I'm going to attempt a replacement of the battery in my Moto 360 2 as it started lasting less than an hour off the charger. It still remains my favorite form factor in all the smartwatches I've used. 46mm is the right size and a case that can be dressed up or down easily with a band change.

I did this a few months back because mine was also dying within an hour or two. It's like having a brand new watch again, it's fantastic. It wasn't too hard, either.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Are any of you guys looking at the galaxy watch active? It's only 200 bux and I think its very competitive in the 200 range.

I am still wearing my Casios and not feel like getting back to smart watches. If I do I probably will get a lighter offering from Garmin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I own one and I really like it, but this isn't really the thread to discuss it much since it doesn't run Wear OS.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

We have a good thread for Garmin/Samsung/etc wearables here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459618

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

CLAM DOWN posted:

We have a good thread for Garmin/Samsung/etc wearables here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459618

Didn't know that. Bookmarked.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I did a survey for Mobvoi and they gave me a one time use coupon for 25% off orders over $100, cannot be applied to the TicWatch Pro 4G/LTE. I'm not going to buy anything because I decided last year that I'm happier with dumb watches, so one of you guys can have it

MobvoiTY31fa7ffd4

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got the replacement battery for my Moto 360 V2 today and it's like brand new now!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Bought my first watch and it's the Gen 5 Fossil Carlyle. It's really nice. Just only problem I have is I can't seem to hear the google assistant voice on the speaker. I probably have some settign wrong.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Misfit Vapor X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hezOKMrer-Y

SDW3100, 4GB flash, 512MB RAM, GPS, heart rate, NFC/GPay, water resistant to 30 meters

I'm very tempted, I had already been eyeing a Vapor 2 to replace my HWatch, seems like this keeps everything I liked (including the price) and updates to the latest SoC plus a lighter chassis.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If I wear a watch on my right wrist like a heathen, can you "flip" the display in Wear OS so I can use the buttons/crown with my left hand?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wolrah posted:

Misfit Vapor X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hezOKMrer-Y

SDW3100, 4GB flash, 512MB RAM, GPS, heart rate, NFC/GPay, water resistant to 30 meters

I'm very tempted, I had already been eyeing a Vapor 2 to replace my HWatch, seems like this keeps everything I liked (including the price) and updates to the latest SoC plus a lighter chassis.

My take is wait for one of the many Fossil sales and coupon codes and get a Gen 5. Double the ram, double the storage, and a speaker for the $100 difference that'll probably get slashed to the $250ish mark soon enough.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Moey posted:

If I wear a watch on my right wrist like a heathen, can you "flip" the display in Wear OS so I can use the buttons/crown with my left hand?

Lol no. I've always wondered why it isn't possible but it isn't.

bull3964 posted:

My take is wait for one of the many Fossil sales and coupon codes and get a Gen 5. Double the ram, double the storage, and a speaker for the $100 difference that'll probably get slashed to the $250ish mark soon enough.

This is truth.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

The RAM and storage don't bug me much, I don't store media on my watch and RAM hasn't been an issue with my current one, but I didn't notice the lack of speaker which is a definite deal killer. TBH I thought speakers were standard on WearOS devices, isn't Google Assistant one of the main marketing points?

Waiting for a deal on a Gen 5 Carlyle does seem like good idea.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nope, very few have a speaker. They have mics so they can do assistant stuff, the response is just shown on the screen.

All the reviews for the 2 (?) wear models with 1gb of ram indicate that it makes a huge difference in performance, so I would really try to get something with 1gb if you can.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LastInLine posted:

Lol no. I've always wondered why it isn't possible but it isn't.

I saw an app for Wear OS that will flip the display, but the crown controls will be backwards.

Come on goooooogle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just root your watch