Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Manwall! posted:

I guess now is as good a time as any to share this.

https://youtu.be/o0f73ww5ehE

Hahahaha this is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://deadspin.com/after-two-decades-owen-harts-death-is-still-wwes-darke-1834910126?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Any famous/infamous instances of wrestlers stealing their opponents' finishers to win?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Any famous/infamous instances of wrestlers stealing their opponents' finishers to win?

The most prominent in recent years would probably be Seth Rollins using the Pedigree on Triple H.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

The Montreal Screwjob, probably the most infamous ever.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I don't think either won with it, but I think Stone Cold and Rock steal each other's finishes in at least the match at 17, possibly the other two as well.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yokozuna retired Hogan from the WWF (for the first time) with his own legdrop

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Have jungle boy and jungle girl ever interacted?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Schneider Heim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n5GHuIFJPk

This video has a bunch of them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

These don't show the finish of the match, though (at least in the first few scenes I watched before closing the video). OP was asking for examples where the stolen finisher ended the match.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Okada hitting Marufuji with the Emerald Flowsion and then pulling him up to get his own poo poo in to finish the fight was very cool but not quite the same thing as OP is asking about.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Schneider Heim posted:

Vengeance 2002 main event had Taker using the Angle Slam, Rock using chokeslam on Taker, Rock using the Ankle Lock and Angle using the Rock Bottom in the triple threat with all three men.

I know it doesn't fit the definition because Rock won with a Rock Bottom on Angle but it's a fun note.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 28, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The best Undertaker matches are when he was wearing his snake pants. Or when his opponents poo poo themselves.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The best Undertaker matches are when he was wearing his snake pants. Or when his opponents poo poo themselves.

Wasn't the story behind the snake pants Taker wore at Survivor Series 2000 (where the most infamous example was from) was that Taker lost his bag at the airport and Godfather had the only pair of pants Taker's size that ~fit his gimmick?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Justin Godscock posted:

Wasn't the story behind the snake pants Taker wore at Survivor Series 2000 (where the most infamous example was from) was that Taker lost his bag at the airport and Godfather had the only pair of pants Taker's size that ~fit his gimmick?

I heard that Sid stole Taker's pants and poo poo in them.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I heard that Sid stole Taker's pants and poo poo in them.

Plausible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Vengeance 2002 main event had Taker using the Angle Slam, Rock using chokeslam on Taker, Rock using the Ankle Lock and Angle using the Rock Bottom in the triple threat with all three men.

I know it doesn't fit the definition because Rock won with a Rock Bottom on Angle but it's a fun note.

IIRC that's a really good match

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How bad was Inokiism New Japan anyway

I know it's objectively bad because it almost bankrupted them, but was the wrestling bad

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

I know it's objectively bad because it almost bankrupted them, but was the wrestling bad

A lot of it is. People will point to good matches, but it's Japan it's hard to have a period without some really good matches. There's a lot of talent. But they pushed some really bad wrestlers in major spots and botched other guys terribly. Stuff like the Chyna push was not the exception to what was going on.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Some of it was good, most of it was mediocre, some was very bad. If you like shoot-style stuff then just watch UWFi or something though.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

The thing I love about Austin selling Rock's stunner is you can see Steve legit give a shot at doing Rock's ridiculous sell of it, but he sort of flops down because the hell if Austin's going to be able to do poo poo like that.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Nah, it was really good imo

For all its failures from a business perspective, they had a solid premise: if wrestling (esp. New Japan Pro Wrestling) is the King Of Sports, we have to prove that our wrestlers can go just as hard as MMA folks, that our more traditional wrestlers are just as capable as they are, that professional wrestling can be a legit sport

They had a solid logic behind it too, because the original shooters like Karl Gotch and Billy Robinson were legit badasses who could’ve taken anyone in a fight, and Inoki wanted to say ‘this is the evolution of a wrestling tradition that started when I fought Gotch and Robinson in the 70s, I am proving that professional wrestling can be just as legitimate today as it was back then’.

As such, NJPW between 2002 and 2006 is ripe for rediscovery, they had legit fighters like Kazuyuki Fujita, Yoshihiro Takayama and Kazunari Murakami at the top of the card going hard against folks like Yuji Nagata and Hiroyoshi Tenzan, and that objectively loving ruled and made NJPW’s style of wrestling feel a lot more legit, that this was actually the logical evolution from Inoki/Gotch and what have you

(Also, from a storytelling perspective, the stories they’re telling in the ring are so loving different from pretty much any others today. The way that eg. Murakami moves and pounces on his opponents feels so new, so real, that it really engages you with the story of the match, it gives each sign so much weight and significance. Shibata is the last Inokiist left in NJPW, and his absence from active competition has imo really hurt the company, because he’s always kept that aura of significance and good physical storytelling around him, and I’m glad that he’s doing well with the LA Dojo, but idk, I’m just thinking of what could’ve been)

No doubt they made some lovely business decisions (imo they should’ve worked the shoot fights or just not had them, because Nagata losing quickly in a shoot fight as champ kinda hurt him for a while, and Inoki was also a massive fascist), but from an artistic perspective the matches themselves still hold up imo.

e: posted about this in the underrated matches thread a while ago, so here’s three to start you off:

Venomous posted:

Yuji Nagata vs. Kazunari Murakami, NJPW Triathlon Survivor 2002 Day 13, December 10th 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIc8qn1r0Y

Yuji Nagata is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. Kazunari Murakami is an intimidating motherfucker with an aggressive style that wrestlers such as Shibata would build on beautifully. This match loving rules.

Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW Summer Struggle 2004 Day 10, July 12th 2004

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3dd3v

Speaking of which, here’s Shibata. We all know that he‘s incredible. Kazuyuki Fujita is also incredible here. This match is stiff as gently caress and it loving rules.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Jun Akiyama, NJPW G1 Climax 2003 Final, August 17th 2003

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00278_1_1

But the main reason why it’s bad to dismiss early 2000s NJPW as objectively bad is b/c it’s easy to ignore matches like this G1 final between two GOAT wrestlers by virtue of its era and location, even though it would be remembered as an all time classic if it took place in NOAH. Akiyama loving rules, Tenzan loving rules, early 2000s NJPW just loving rules.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 29, 2019

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The key problem with the Inokiism era was Inoki wanting to latch onto the booming MMA business. The Wrestling fans wanted wrestling, not MMA and the MMA crowd already was getting their share with Pride & K-1. The lowest point of that era would be the Ultimate Crush events and Ultimate Royal match. Who would want to see poor MMA matches at a wrestling show?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Adaptabullshit posted:

Who would want to see poor MMA matches at a wrestling show?

Vince thought everyone would!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The whole thing is strange to me because I was a MMA nerd early on, and I was a wrestling nerd in the late 90s, and I was even a particular fan of Bas Rutten, but I never got into any of that worked-shoot stuff. Probably just for lack of access and ability to keep up with what was going on.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Was Enzo ever a draw for WWE? On places like wreddit people say he helped grow 205 Live but I’m skeptical about that.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Gotch and Robinson would get the poo poo beat out of them by the number 20 ranked UFC welterweight lol.

Enzo’s run on top had a house show tour that did really badly iirc.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

No one is really a draw anymore, least of all Enzo. But Enzo had a career trajectory that went roughly "In NXT as the Road Dogg half of what everyone called this century's New Age Outlaws", "Called up, like all callups WWE had no idea what to do with him, also his partner kept getting injured, also he pissed off absolutely everyone backstage", "Found new life by leaning into how much everyone disliked him, became Cruiserweight champ at the expense of driving Neville into quitting, it was a well received run", and then the rape stuff happened

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Was Enzo ever a draw for WWE? On places like wreddit people say he helped grow 205 Live but I’m skeptical about that.

Apparently not.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/is-enzo-amore-helping-ratings-for-205-live

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I guarantee Enzo's voice sounds like that because of the untreated gonorrhea.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They thought he was to the point that they planned 205 Live house shows to play off his perceived star power. Then he got fired and they predictably flopped. They probably would have either way.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Enzo isn’t really the kind of person you rely on to draw money, but he was really good as an opening match tag guy that would get the crowd going with his promo schtick

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Back when I started watching wrestling in 2015 the three main draws that got me hooked were finn‘s demon entrance, Bayley and Enzo & Cass.

Obviously the more I watched the more I realized they sucked at the actual wrestling bit and especially at being decent human beings, but those early promos in NXT were really good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Enzo/Neville angle was interesting enough that it drew my attention out of the lurking around these forums mode and actually turning on WWE TV. Other stuff that's managed that is like Sami's heel turn, Becky Lynch's push, the Kofi push, that one moment where it seemed like WWE was putting together the Bullet Club, etc.

But I also zoned out immediately once PAC left. But those moments usually only last a week or two before I realize there's not actually anything on WWE that I find worth the time.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Will def admit loving Enzo and Cass back in NXT when I thought Enzo was playing a character. The realization that no, he's Actually Just Like That is what turned me off of the two alongside those early backstage reports of them being insufferable. What a waste. That poo poo with Neville sucked and I'm glad that RoH stunt went nowhere. I should still have the autographed picture of them I picked up at that first San Jose show somewhere in my closet, far away from my actual good memorabilia.

Edit:

Can also testify that Enzo was a great entry to get my non-wrestling friends into NXT. My roommate has never once in his life watched wrestling without me sitting him down to specific matches, and even he followed Enzo on instagram until those allegations from Phoenix.

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 30, 2019

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo I'd completly forgotten about the 205 Live house shows with Enzo and Nia as the top stars

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Do you think it would still be unethical to work the Saudi show if you took the entire payday and donated it to an LGBTQ org or another similarly good cause?

Edit; also, was there much outrage over the Collision in Korea? Pretty sure North Korea was a bunch of jerks back then too, did the Observer criticize WCW for that show?

Burt Buckle fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 30, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Burt Buckle posted:

Edit; also, was there much outrage over the Collision in Korea? Pretty sure North Korea was a bunch of jerks back then too, did the Observer criticize WCW for that show?

That was setup by Inoki (who was then an elected representative to the Japanese diet) to be a bridge-building exercise and a way to improve diplomatic relations, WWE is going to Saudi because the check cleared. It’s a little different.

[Edit] not to say Inoki was smart or wasn’t trying to earn something out of it, but it comes from a slightly nobler place than the WWE’s contract with the KSA.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Burt Buckle posted:

Do you think it would still be unethical to work the Saudi show if you took the entire payday and donated it to an LGBTQ org or another similarly good cause?

In most cases I don't fault workers for taking money from awful people but the Saudi show is a big propaganda exercise so it's worse then just taking the prince's cash to be his jester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Collision in Korea was kind of terrible too but way more complicated. Inoki was trying to boost his political career and probably really did believe that a wrestling show in North Korea would help relations. Inoki had already done a show in Iraq that helped rescue hostages. It didn't get the same sort of criticism because it was not as blatantly evil as the KSA stuff.

Also Inoki wanted to fight Hogan with Hogan as a heel because he's the perfect symbol of America.