Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus christ if he really cares so much about making a setting rather than a story just contract with paizo for a bunch of erfworld splats for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
*Kickstarter stretch goal for givin me money*

"I'll never ask for money like this again"

*Pleasepleasepleaseohgodgivemethemoney*

"Not that I'd ever go back on my word and do this exactly the same way again"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He's literally selling...access to a 3D model on his web interface? Not like, to download and use or anything, just to look at on his proprietary viewer.

This is fully grim.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If the crypto thing was Rob getting his fans to make their own Kool-Aid, this is him getting them to buy the empty packets and sugar bags.

Edit: Calling it now, the Venn diagram of ErfWorld supporters and Star Citizen supporters is a circle.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 28, 2019

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

PMush Perfect posted:

Calling it now, the Venn diagram of ErfWorld supporters and Star Citizen supporters is a circle.

A 3D model is something more than a jpeg, at least.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Android Blues posted:

He's literally selling...access to a 3D model on his web interface? Not like, to download and use or anything, just to look at on his proprietary viewer.

This is fully grim.

There's something magical about a webcomic developing a proprietary 3D model format so it can have a proprietary 3D model viewer so it can make its fans pay for something so as to finance the author's course in learning how to make 3D models. It's like the Rube-Goldberg of internet scams by way of webcomics. :allears:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The whipped cream and cherry on top of the whole poo poo sundae is that Erfworld got its initial boost from, and is still linked on the main page of, a comic made using stick figures because it’s author wasn’t an artist but wanted to make a comic anyway.

Say what you will about OOtS, through all its trials and tribulations it never resorted to this.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was about to say "Jesus Christ, that was five years ago now", but it wasn't. It was seven.

I feel old.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Rob Balder posted:

For the record, I have now wasted yet another hour when I could have been writing Erfworld.

Someone should get on Twitter and reply that to every post of his that isn't a comic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Apparently the Erfworld subreddit just got locked. Presumably because, at this point, the only reason anyone was posting there was to try to point out what a bad idea all of this is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Apparently the Erfworld subreddit just got locked. Presumably because, at this point, the only reason anyone was posting there was to try to point out what a bad idea all of this is.
The echo chamber is closing its doors.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

That's saddening. I actually liked that subreddit a lot.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Well. Did anyone save the good ones?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

mycot posted:

Well. Did anyone save the good ones?

Jason Baumgartner's Pushshift archive project caught some interesting stuff. See: https://api.pushshift.io/reddit/search/submission/?subreddit=Erfworld&size=500 for the most recent posts, or tinker with the search parameters to find whatever you had in mind specifically.

I'll share this one though:

Rob Balder on Reddit posted:

"Earlier today a Redditor (someone who has never supported Erfworld in any way, that I can tell) pinged me, and demanded I account for the delivery of all prior Kickstarter rewards.

I offered to discuss that person's concerns directly with them. He/she declined, and is now banned from this sub. This is the first ban in over a year, but I get the feeling it'll be one of a number this week. I think I'm going to do a couple more right after I post this.

The question itself is probably worth answering, though. It's a real simple summary: every physical reward has been delivered

There is one exception to that, which is the DVD/Bluray of the motion comic from the first project in early 2012. When it became clear that the motion comic could not be made as we envisioned it, but that a different kind of video treatment of Book 1 *could* (and eventually will) be made, I offered a refund of $25 to all backers who were owed that DVD as part of their pledge rewards. Or they could wait an indefinite time until it made sense for us to do the other video treatment, in which case they'll still be receiving that reward when it someday exists. All tiers with the DVD included other physical rewards, such as the Parson figurine, the hardcover books, postcards, magnets, etc. All of those were high quality items, delivered as promised. All backer stories from that project are complete as well. I believe something like three people took us up on the refund offer.

So everyone who completed a Kickstarter or Backerkit survey has gotten their physical stuff. In addition, some $12,000 worth of playing cards and another $4000 worth of 2019 calendars were sent out to all Tools who qualified for Free Cards Day and Free Calendar Day and filled in their survey.

What's still lacking and lagging in many cases are the things I personally have to write for individual backers. Poems, character sheets, name & role, "Ask a question about Erfworld" and of course several backer stories still have to be written. I would absolutely grant a refund to any backer who is tired of waiting for those, but nobody has yet requested one. The names of the people I owe those things to are written on the whiteboard next to the screen I stare at 15 hours a day. I do occasionally find a spare hour to work on one and send it out, even with all the indescribable and unmentionable poo poo Linda and I are going through.

Delivery of all other e-items, such as badges, units, gems, ebooks, sidebar ads, the panel-by-panel archives, etc. was also completed for every project and promotion, other than the (pending) Make/100 rewards. Erfmover backers have gotten their badges, and the Arkenhammer badges will be given out a week after surveys. Erfmover models are delayed for a few days to make them prettier. (Connor got a brutal case of flu late last week, or they'd be out already.) Arkenhammer models already look perfect except for the personalization plaques, and those should be out about a week after surveys.

I really can't begin to tell you what Linda and I have been living through. Saying "it's as bad as the cancer, plus she still has cancer" doesn't seem to register. Our lives are a horror show, all day, every day. And we're four hours away from a hug.

We're saved by Erfworld's readers, in every possible sense of the word. This is the greatest audience a webcomic has ever assembled. We're blessed and blessed, and blessed, thousands of times over with a sea of kind, generous, thoughtful, extraordinary people who make it worth carrying on.

But swimming in that sea is also a tiny and struggling population of defector organisms.

There are very, very few of them, relative to all the Disneylike musical singing fish in our ocean. If you've ever played a co-op game like Shadows over Camelot, I'm talking about the players who only win if everyone else loses. They are not, as they'll claim in their long, hand-wringing posts, worried about whether Erfworld is worthy of support. They're trying to prove it isn't. That way, they can validate either cutting off their support at some point in the past, or just never contributing a thing.

Right now, those guys smell blood. There's been some thrashing in the water. There might be a chance to add another little cut at that struggling diver's air supply. It you are a defector, this is a dangerous time for you too. My banhammer, it comforts me. It's going to go smashysmashysmash, in a way that feels oddly theraputic. I write Stanley. I can hit things. Wham.

So if you don't feel like we're worth the bet anymore, that's fine. Erfworld is created for everybody, and it's free for everybody. You don't have to help us as we struggle for air. You can even secretly root for us to drown. But don't lie about us. And don't trawl for evidence that we're defrauding the good people who make Erfworld possible. Do not start those discussions on our channels, because if you even *look* like you're swiping at our air hose? At these depths and pressures? Wham. Wham, wham, wham."

The dude sounds unhinged. Literally nuts at this point.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

quote:

We're saved by Erfworld's readers, in every possible sense of the word. This is the greatest audience a webcomic has ever assembled. We're blessed and blessed, and blessed, thousands of times over with a sea of kind, generous, thoughtful, extraordinary people who make it worth carrying on.

But swimming in that sea is also a tiny and struggling population of defector organisms.

There are very, very few of them, relative to all the Disneylike musical singing fish in our ocean. If you've ever played a co-op game like Shadows over Camelot, I'm talking about the players who only win if everyone else loses. They are not, as they'll claim in their long, hand-wringing posts, worried about whether Erfworld is worthy of support. They're trying to prove it isn't. That way, they can validate either cutting off their support at some point in the past, or just never contributing a thing.

The stakes are obviously much lower, but he seriously sounds like a cult leader raging about how anyone who dissents is spoiling the love-in and trying to destroy The Special Thing We've Built Together.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Rob Balder posted:

For the record, I have now wasted yet another hour when I could have been writing Erfworld

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
lol if true:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?566027-Erfworld-Thread-XI-Finally-it-s-HAMMER-TIME!/page26

quote:

Heard a rumor from a friend who knows someone close to Rob. Not sure I believe it but it's interesting.

Rob was apparently smashed yesterday because "super bad thing #2" happened to be a legal battle where he was ordered to pay a previous artist money he owed them and never had paid. The ruling came down yesterday. Rob has to pay up in full or remove all of that artist's work from the site (which would be significant). Rob is stick between letting erfworld die or coming up with the money (and he's apparently broke). Not sure what artist it could be though.

He also said that Rob is doing almost all the 3d work so he can pocket as much of the kickstarter money as possible while pretending a team is working on it to increase donations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

...if that's true it's a whole new level of grift revealed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd believe it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

If any artist I'd assume it was the art company after Xin took a hiatus. They left sort of oddly if I recall correctly. The guy who did the ABC book.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
You mean David Hanh?

http://erfworld.com/blog/view/47103/david-is-leaving-erfworld

It does sound like they parted very abruptly.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm just... boggling at the idea that Rob might be trying to pass off him screwing over an artist and being forced to pay as somehow the equivalent of someone getting cancer.

I mean, if someone told me Rob evaluated all things on the basis of 'does this get me any closer to Erfworld becoming an enduring nerd brand' rather than morality, I wouldn't be hugely shocked? But you'd think 'my wife has cancer' would be a bigger, more morally clear deal to him than 'I ripped off an artist and they managed to sue me for the money.'

...if this is in fact Bad Thing #2, then Erfworld has completed its evolution into r/legaladvice the comic illustrated web novel.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A rumor from a friend who knows one of Rob's friends? I wonder if this rumored friend's friend's uncle works at Nintendo.

On the other hand, that Reddit post up there has Rob saying that he still hasn't given out the 3D shovels even though that Kickstarter ended two weeks ago, despite the fact that he said in the Kickstarter that the models were "ready to go" and "fulfillable in minutes".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For what it's worth, a lot of this reads to me less as intentional scamming and more like someone who has been coming up short and kept kicking that can down the road thinking he really could come out of it and make it all add up in the end.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

if this is in fact Bad Thing #2, then Erfworld has completed its evolution into r/legaladvice the comic illustrated web novel.

Bruceski posted:

For what it's worth, a lot of this reads to me less as intentional scamming and more like someone who has been coming up short and kept kicking that can down the road thinking he really could come out of it and make it all add up in the end.
Hanlon's Razor, the Illustrated Web Novel.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

John_A_Tallon posted:

You mean David Hanh?

http://erfworld.com/blog/view/47103/david-is-leaving-erfworld

It does sound like they parted very abruptly.

Rob Balder posted:

David was always the lead illustrator, backstopped by Periscope Studio. In actual fact, we never used Periscope Studio or paid anyone to draw Book 3 other than him. They are based in Seattle. At the start of this year, David moved halfway across the country. While in theory, Periscope Studio was there to back him up on inks or colors in a pinch, nobody other than David was ever trained to draw Erfworld (pencils).

Going through the old update, that part could be the problem. Either Periscope or David suing, depending on the contract. And cutting David off 15-20 updates early without following the termination protocol in the contract...

That's where I'd put my money at if the Nintendo Uncle source is right!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

holy poo poo rob is such a loving pissant. I have never ever seen someone destroy so much goodwill so fast and thoroughly

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He has been noticeably one for a long time. Pages would be delayed like crazy while he's raving about getting drunk at cons.

I was actually following when they abruptly dropped that artist and I swear it's like literally in the middle of one of the book climaxes or something.

I don't feel like checking back because it's kinda straight depressing when you realize it stopped being a webcomic years before you realized it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, I was curious about the whole kickstarter thing, and...

:bravo:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Hey anybody who feels down in the dumps about life just think you probably haven't burned eighty thousand dollars worth of goodwill in your life yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

reignofevil posted:

Hey anybody who feels down in the dumps about life just think you probably haven't burned eighty thousand dollars worth of goodwill in your life yet.

*looks at college years*...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PMush Perfect posted:

So, I was curious about the whole kickstarter thing, and...

:bravo:

I'm surprised this wasn't flexible funding. Come to think of it, what's the point of having whole individual campaigns for each cgi tool instead of just selling them all the time?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

mycot posted:

I'm surprised this wasn't flexible funding. Come to think of it, what's the point of having whole individual campaigns for each cgi tool instead of just selling them all the time?

By having it as a kickstarter the reward is in the more nebulous future and stuff can go wrong. Just selling them requires you to have a decent thing to sell right now.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

reignofevil posted:

I don't recall there being a soundtrack album. Was it ever finished? The only thing about it I can find is on the Kickstarter page.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I don't recall there being a soundtrack album. Was it ever finished? The only thing about it I can find is on the Kickstarter page.

We've gotten to the point that there are kickstarters that I wasn't even aware of. I think that officially drops me off the 'fan' roster.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Updating again.

Also there's a new reddit at r/ErfworldAscending, if that's your sort of thing.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Welcome to the new Erfworld

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Honestly that Maggie(?) model is... well, I don't mind it.

It's the background that gets me. Are those plants clipping through the ground?

Edit: poo poo I didn't even notice the sword, that's terrible.