Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
When DRK initially came out, it was thought that a lot more people would switch to being a tank due to the edginess appeal. From what I remember, this wasn't the case, and most people that tried DRK eventually went back to their usual DPS role class. Is this correct, and if so, are we expecting GNB to shake this up at all? Maybe gunblades will be the key to getting more tanks in the pool? (Not that it bothers me too much, I enjoy my insta-tank queues, but I feel this is an important question for MMOs to eventually have an answer for, being the skewed role distribution)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People who don't play tanks will basically never play tanks or stick with them when new tanks are added, same with healers. It's been a constant across most MMOs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's an idea that people will be lovely to you as you learn tank stuff, which is why I take it upon myself to yell at people learning dps jobs instead. Not all heroes wear capes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

There's an idea that people will be lovely to you as you learn tank stuff, which is why I take it upon myself to yell at people learning dps jobs instead. Not all heroes wear capes.

Thank you for your service.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

:hmmyes:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
And I put on my Goddess of Hand/Land titles and yell at the non-combatants that they're doing stuff wrong. The circle is complete.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Where the crafter leaks? Level 80 Carpenter creates a wood golem that crafts poo poo for you.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

FutureCop posted:

When DRK initially came out, it was thought that a lot more people would switch to being a tank due to the edginess appeal. From what I remember, this wasn't the case, and most people that tried DRK eventually went back to their usual DPS role class. Is this correct, and if so, are we expecting GNB to shake this up at all? Maybe gunblades will be the key to getting more tanks in the pool? (Not that it bothers me too much, I enjoy my insta-tank queues, but I feel this is an important question for MMOs to eventually have an answer for, being the skewed role distribution)

It's not going to have a long term effect. The first 2 weeks of the expansion though, any sub 70 queue is going to be hell for tanks and turbo hell for dnc. I vaguely remember 50 minute drk queues back in week 2 or hw.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I imagine a quad dancer HoH where every mob we stand around for 2 minutes building up our gagues just to have a dance off.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wonder if you can stack the dance partner buff.

Then have three dancers dance with the same ally. They'll blink at an enemy and they'll explode.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Givin posted:

I imagine a quad dancer HoH where every mob we stand around for 2 minutes building up our gagues just to have a dance off.

Step Up (to the Cairn of Passage)

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any use for tomestones of mendacity at this point? I've been capped on them for months now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Countblanc posted:

This is why I started out as a dps and ignored Healing and Tanking, I figure if someone yells at me for DPS mechanics it's easier for me to say "oh sorry" and get better because the whole team isn't counting on me pulling or targeting the right person or something

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pussy Cartel posted:

Is there any use for tomestones of mendacity at this point? I've been capped on them for months now.

If you still have Rakshasa gear, you can trade it in to the vendor in Rhalgr's Reach along with 7 Doman Reiyaku (which you buy for 100 Mendacity a pop) for 390 Yama gear. Not exactly worth building towards, but useful if you've already geared up your primary in Aug Scaevan and want to play as something else before ShB.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Pussy Cartel posted:

In addition to the above post, the Tomestone materials for crafter/gatherer gear have had their Mendacity costs lowered. Most melded Crafters don't need much in the way of HQ materials anymore, so it's even easier to kit out DoL/DoH atm.

Only caution I have is that trying to sell DoL/DoH gear might take some effort atm depending on your realm. Took me a couple weeks to sell crafting shoes on Excal since demand is low and us sellers kept undercutting each other.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I'm an omnicrafter, so when my mendacs get close to full I run the numbers and then craft some mats and just offload those instead of finishing products. I'm generally sold out before my mendacs are full again.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Hogama posted:

Also, the latest batch of tooltips (Repose's disappearance from the WHM skill chart from the benchmark is basically just because they made it a role action and changed the ID).

I foresee many (af)flatus misery jokes to be had.

Also, isn't any arguments against using story skips going to be null&void once New Game+ comes? You could just skip ARR's 2.x content and just replay all the parts that are relevant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FutureCop posted:

No amount of edge or cool factor will ever, ever change the simple fact that most people simply do not want to tank or heal.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I may tank more now, if only because they are basically a particularly sturdy dps with survival tools now. The lack of aggo combo or need to worry much about tank stance means that aside from actually tanking damage the rotations look like it's all dps all the time.

Still going to play nin for the initial expansion but leveling tanks looks funner now.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

When's the media embargo getting lifted, again? I need to know when my body should be ready for the flood of new info.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

When's the media embargo getting lifted, again? I need to know when my body should be ready for the flood of new info.

I think it was the 29th

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

DizzyBum posted:

Roughly 19 hours from now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DizzyBum posted:

According to W2P, 2019-05-29 6 AM PDT.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Zoig posted:

I may tank more now, if only because they are basically a particularly sturdy dps with survival tools now. The lack of aggo combo or need to worry much about tank stance means that aside from actually tanking damage the rotations look like it's all dps all the time.

Still going to play nin for the initial expansion but leveling tanks looks funner now.

This is where I am at now as well. I will be maining samurai right off the bat, but the tank changes look fantastic and may manage to pull me away in the end, especially if gunbreaker plays more or less like a dps.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Failboattootoot posted:

This is where I am at now as well. I will be maining samurai right off the bat, but the tank changes look fantastic and may manage to pull me away in the end, especially if gunbreaker plays more or less like a dps.

(the tanks all play like DPSes that stand in front of the boss. :ssh: )

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean in almost every MMO tanking is pretty much DPSing but with easier rotations and some cooldown management. Just sometimes in FF14 until SHB you might change combos because your DPS are being dicks and not using diversion.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rastan Beeza posted:

I foresee many (af)flatus misery jokes to be had.

Also, isn't any arguments against using story skips going to be null&void once New Game+ comes? You could just skip ARR's 2.x content and just replay all the parts that are relevant.

I mean a somewhat literal translation is to 'blow upon' Misery.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

(the tanks all play like DPSes that stand in front of the boss. :ssh: )

None of their rotations are remotely as interesting in the current game. Pld and War are close but still don't have enough combo variation or ogcd's to satisfy my desire. With the death of the enmity combo, I think they might get there.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
My buddy is always amazed that I have the time and attention to call out boss attacks while Im tanking.

I keep telling him its because I basically have nothing else to do

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

My understanding of tanking in savage content was that it boils down to facing and positioning the boss correctly, using defensive cooldowns, tank swapping, and then doing the tank version of dps and dodging. It sounds like a lot but only one of those really happens at a time, aside from the non tank exclusive stuff.

Meanwhile dps need to be twice as careful to not die and do their far more complex Rotation well. This is mostly based on what I hear from my raider brothers but im interested in hearing if I understand correctly.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Drooling over the armor set that's being given out for Team Feast this season. I doubt I'll win it, but I don't know how it'll all shake out.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Gorelab posted:

I mean in almost every MMO tanking is pretty much DPSing but with easier rotations and some cooldown management. Just sometimes in FF14 until SHB you might change combos because your DPS are being dicks and not using diversion.

Difference is if you gently caress up a CD unlike a dps you probably just wiped your raid:\

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Maybe the DPS should kill the boss faster then so I never have the chance to mess up my cooldowns!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Draynar posted:

Difference is if you gently caress up a CD unlike a dps you probably just wiped your raid:\

i assure you ive had many wipes because dps gently caress up their cooldowns, its just a slow, arduous death where the boss kills you when its at 10% over and over

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Plus DPS can kill the raid by loving up mechanics. I feel like tanks are fun, and fairly easy but your gently caress ups are more public than the DPSes and you control the pace in dungeons so you kinda feel more pressure than you do as a DPS.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Greader posted:

God, I cannot wait to start using the power of the BLOOD LILY. I suppose in a perfect world where the other abilities won't get changed this would give WHM some insane AoE alphastrike power with the right setup: Blood Lily AoE, Assize and then Swiftcast+Holy would probably do a lot of damage real quick. Obviously it wouldn't work on every mob group/the start of the dungeon but the few times it can be pulled off would probably be glorious.

word on the street is that assize no longer deals damage. holy stun is gone too, apparently.

20 hours left I guess

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Minrad posted:

word on the street is that assize no longer deals damage. holy stun is gone too, apparently.

20 hours left I guess

Haha yeah imagine if they'd just delete whm like that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Minrad posted:

20 hours left I guess

We're finally rid of Protect, but I fear the cost was too high.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Mymla posted:

Haha yeah imagine if they'd just delete whm like that.

We can hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
With a heavy sigh, Naoki Yoshida announced that White Mage was being deleted from Final Fantasy XIV, and, to keep the balance, Black Mage and Scholar were, too. "So ends the Fifth Astral Era."