Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver2195 posted:

IIRC, doesn't Game Freak hate Colosseum and Gale of Darkness for being "not in accordance with their vision" (i.e., their plots are too dark/edgy)?

That would be kinda hilarious considering the multiple games they released since with genocidal antagonists. Or the Pokemon world war they wrote into the setting's back story. Or the dude who orders his Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem to murder the player character.

All of that is way darker and edgier than anything in the Gamecube duology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zore posted:

That would be kinda hilarious considering the multiple games they released since with genocidal antagonists. Or the Pokemon world war they wrote into the setting's back story. Or the dude who orders his Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem to murder the player character.

I'm pretty sure Colosseum has an edgier protagonist than any of the mainline games, at least.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
baby legendaries and all legendaries are breedable please thank you

I have other wishes mostly pertaining to un-nerfing Hydreigon but I’ll take just this one

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zore posted:

Before he lets you into Po town Nanu says something to the effect of "If you don't make it I'll send your remains back to your family."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My only hope is that Type:Null is breedable or you can get one before level 40.

Want to use my cool chimera in game :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zore posted:

Like why don't Colloseum or XD count as mainline if LGP/E do?

ask the guy who said let's go are

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1001705584083853312

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zore posted:

My only hope is that Type:Null is breedable or you can get one before level 40.

Want to use my cool chimera in game :(

I have bad news for you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I have bad news for you.

I know it won't actually happen, but maybe we get a B/W2 situation where they realize how stupid getting Volcarona/Briavary at level 59/54 is and let you catch a wild one at level 35/30

:(

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Here's my whole list anyway

quote:

Hey guys, good news, my uncle who works at Game Freak confirmed that they've listened to my pleas and all these things are happening:

• Everything's breedable
  • Baby legendaries
  • No more megas, but the good ones become real evolutions with appropriately rebalanced stats
  • All the classic early game trash gets actual good stats at their final stages, but they don't get good moves until high levels
  • Evolution timings of Unova mons are unfucked
  • Stealth Rock damage is halved
  • Talonflame is freed because Gale Wings gets its old effect back, but with a 30% damage penalty to Flying moves
  • The move Haze not only eliminates stat changes but also causes all boosting moves to fail for five turns. This effect can be dispelled by Defog.
  • Eviolite no longer exists, but Everstone raises defenses of unevolved Pokémon by 20%.
  • The type chart is now this:

• Hydreigon gets a signature 70 power, 100 accuracy special Dark move that's super-effective against Fairies
  • Hydreigon also gets Quiver Dance

The last two are the most important ones, IMO.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zore posted:

I know it won't actually happen, but maybe we get a B/W2 situation where they realize how stupid getting Volcarona/Briavary at level 59/54 is and let you catch a wild one at level 35/30

:(

I wouldn't oppose, but this weird experiment of attempting to make an Arceus via science only resulted in three of them and we know where two of those are canonically.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I wouldn't oppose, but this weird experiment of attempting to make an Arceus via science only resulted in three of them and we know where two of those are canonically.

That was also true of Castform in R/S/E but they let it breed! And canonically there was one of them.

Its weird how Castform being a hosed up manmade science experiment never comes up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Most legendaries are supposed to be one-of-a-kind.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Most legendaries are supposed to be one-of-a-kind.

It's vague in the games. In the anime, most legendaries are not one of a kind; there's even a second Mewtwo!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

It's vague in the games. In the anime, most legendaries are not one of a kind; there's even a second Mewtwo!

Yeah even in the games you have poo poo like Arceus creating a new Palkia/Dialga for the player in HGSS, Manaphy hatching from an egg, Heatran being part of a species and multiple Mews. Not to mention how many legendaries relocate halfway across the world every year or two to be caught by our new plucky protagonist.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gamefreak demotes Heatran from Legendary status, you can now catch them on Galar Route 1.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Right, but if Bank works with Let’s Go it’ll be the first time you can transfer from Go to the main title games.

Huh. Hadn't thought about that. Good point.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zore posted:

Its weird how Castform being a hosed up manmade science experiment never comes up.

I mean, he's just one of many hosed up artificial made mons at this point. Porygon, Mewtwo, Margeana, Golurk, Trubbish, and god knows who else.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I just realized I totally forgot to do my 3 battles this weekend. I was so busy doing stuff that it just totally slipped my mind.
Oh well 3/4 shiny Tapus is pretty good.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What do I do with Avalugg? I've decided I want his silly looking rear end on my team.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nasgate posted:

What do I do with Avalugg? I've decided I want his silly looking rear end on my team.

I have had success with this kind of loadout:

Sturdy, holding a Rocky Helmet. Maximize HP and Defense; doesn't matter much whether you go with Relaxed, Impish, or Lax for the nature. It's a fairly involved breeding chain to give it Mirror Coat, but that plus Recover, Avalanche, and another move that fits well on your team (Earthquake gives you good coverage) makes a moveset it can use. The basic concept is that against a physical attacker you let the Rocky Helmet do most of the work and alternate between topping yourself off with Recover and punishing contact hits with Avalanche; the opponent will naturally want to switch to a special attacker, so if you predict the switch and have full health when they try to one-shot you with literally any special move, you'll survive it with Sturdy and take them out with an enormous Mirror Coat counterattack.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Silver2195 posted:

Isn't he still "The Lightning American" in HGSS (Gen 4), though? And the point about other characters said to be "from another country" (like Fantina) still stands.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%E9mon_world_in_relation_to_the_real_world#Real-world_locations_mentioned

Flopsy posted:

Huh. Hadn't thought about that. Good point.

No that good, since transfering from Go to LGPE *is* transfering from Go to a mainline title. What Bank compatibility would add is transfering further to other mainline titles.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Nasgate posted:

He's totally a turtle so he should go on your all turtle gimmick team.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
she's beauty she's grace

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

OgreNoah posted:

I just realized I totally forgot to do my 3 battles this weekend. I was so busy doing stuff that it just totally slipped my mind.

gently caress

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Silver2195 posted:

The games seem to have some unspoken tiers of Legendary/Mythicals. Lesser ones like Shaymin or Diancie are treated as just being members of a rare species while greater ones like Rayquaza up to Arceus are unique individuals.

Of course, in a day when not only can every eleven-year-old catch one when they inexplicably relocate halfway across the globe every few years, but they’re handed out on wi-fi every couple of months, this whole idea breaks down.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Geostomp posted:

The games seem to have some unspoken tiers of Legendary/Mythicals. Lesser ones like Shaymin or Diancie are treated as just being members of a rare species while greater ones like Rayquaza up to Arceus are unique individuals.

Of course, in a day when not only can every eleven-year-old catch one when they inexplicably relocate halfway across the globe every few years, but they’re handed out on wi-fi every couple of months, this whole idea breaks down.

By this point I think there are multiple Kyogres in the anime, so my theory is that even Arceus is a rare species, just rare to the point that no-one's seen two in the same place. There's a line from Cynthia that can be interpreted to be about how Dialga and Palkia aren't actually the creators of time and space, they just have the ability to manipulate them and people extrapolated from there.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Between ORAS And USUM we know there's multiple dimensions, planets, and parallel universes. So it's kinda impossible for there to be only one of any given Pokemon.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

OgreNoah posted:

I still haven't even caught all the regular Tapus. Totally lost track of where to go after beating the main game in Ultra Sun.

Elchar
Jan 15, 2019

one majestic bitch
To be fair I never even finished the main story of Ultra Sun. I really like Alola as a region and I like a lot of the Pokémon in it, but at some point the ridiculous handholding just became too obnoxious for me to put up with. Can't the game just let me take two steps on my own.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

less laughter posted:

she's beauty she's grace

Still doesn't top when Ilima used Extreme Evoboost and the battle ground to a halt while they waited several hours for eeveelutions to congregate and give Eevee a pep talk

Can't wait for the league where it'll happen again, except this time the eeveelutions have to swim through the monster-infested ocean

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All Pokemon Are Dogs.

Legendaries are just rare purebreds.

Arceus is a big english bulldog.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Elchar posted:

To be fair I never even finished the main story of Ultra Sun. I really like Alola as a region and I like a lot of the Pokémon in it, but at some point the ridiculous handholding just became too obnoxious for me to put up with. Can't the game just let me take two steps on my own.

You didn't get past the tutorial? Which granted it is loving obnoxious but it doesn't last the entire game.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I started playing Ultra Moon last week and oh my god it is amazing. The variety of Pokemon is astounding and you get some really fun ones right away. It's super hard for me to choose a team.

It's taking me forever to get through because there are so many Pokemon to catch and so many things to check out. I just completed the fire trial on Akala Island and I'm already 20 hours into the game. Good lord!

My one gripe is that rotomdex is really annoying. At first I enjoyed talking to him but at some point he started giving me tons of advice that all starts out with the same phrase so if I want to see it I have to wait like 2 seconds. I mostly ignore him and just tap his eyes when they're droopy so I can score those Roto Lotos but I think even that might be too much effort for so little value. I really just want to keep on doing my trials and see more of the Ultra Recon Squad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

All Pokemon Are Dogs.

Legendaries are just rare purebreds.

Arceus is a big english bulldog.

Oh no look at him he can't breathe. All the inbreeding.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Admittedly with Arceus at least, if they are god, having multiple independent bodies running around seems entirely possible.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there’s only like five dog pokemon

e: arcanine is a lion

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

oddium posted:

There's more than that even if you only count the Eeveelutions.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

oddium posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I feel like the game balance is messed up when Kartana can faint about 40% of teams in the Battle Tree with three moves (and can defeat another 20% of teams with four)

100 degrees Calcium posted:

My one gripe is that rotomdex is really annoying.

yeah that's the only thing the design team dropped the ball on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oddium posted:

five is too many :colbert: