Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
My boyfriend has diarrhea and refuses to poop in my toilet, what do I do?!

quote:

First of all, I [19F] love him [19M] to death. And we've been together long enough that discussions of being sick and gross aren't really an issue. So when he says his stomach is hurting and that he probably has diarrhea, I told him to go sit on the toilet. He refuses, saying he "doesn't want to stink up my toilet." I don't care about that: I would rather him let it out and feel better afterwards. How do I make him poop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You just have to ignore people like that. Either they will feed themselves or they won’t. Give them a couple addresses for local places they might eat at and call it a day.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Picky eating can absolutely be solved when you stop enabling it. Parents need to let their kids go hungry from time to time when they refuse to try new things or they'll grow up to be english people.

Or their family can just eat their own poo poo if it's the only food they can reliably get.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm not a wise man but I simply don't understand not using salt in your cooking. You might as well be eating cardboard.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zakharov posted:

I'm not a wise man but I simply don't understand not using salt in your cooking. You might as well be eating cardboard.

It’s too spicy.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Unless you have high blood pressure, put some loving salt in your food. Or regular salt for that matter.

Although it's hard to imagine Brits who can't handle their crisps chips cause those are nothing but potato, oil and salt.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for keeping my marriage and child a secret from my mother, as well as refusing to let her see my son?

She then went on about how I didn't invite her to the wedding, that she'll never get that moment back and see me get married(which I do feel bad about).

Don't feel bad about it, she would have been a monster at the wedding.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Didn't the British like colonize places for salt?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Literally A Person posted:

And India for its spices

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Their cooking isn't "extremely old-school British". Even in the absolute worst times for British cuisine they still used poo poo like salt and pepper, onions, garlic, and herbs. Well-done meat and mushy carrots with no seasoning is the food of people who are terrified of anything even slightly challenging to them as a person.

Edit: It's probably more than just food. They're the people who just wear the same clothes over and over (replacing them with identical or nearly identical ones when they wear out), go to all the same places, watch the same TV show every night at the same time, etc.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 28, 2019

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Their cooking isn't "extremely old-school British". Even in the absolute worst times for British cuisine they still used poo poo like salt and pepper, onions, garlic, and herbs. Well-done meat and mushy carrots with no seasoning is the food of people who are terrified of anything even slightly challenging to them as a person.

This is an interesting read but how does one come to regard what must be wildly disgusting mush as “non challenging.” I would find that very challenging to eat; in fact I believe those are the basic ingredients for a homemade dog food.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MasBrillante posted:

This is an interesting read but how does one come to regard what must be wildly disgusting mush as “non challenging.” I would find that very challenging to eat; in fact I believe those are the basic ingredients for a homemade dog food.

It would probably be completely bland. Carrots, peas, and roast beef cooked until as much flavor and texture is sapped from it. It's basically one step up from eating white bread and rice for every meal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apparently for a very long time England had quite renown cuisine due to high quality ingredients and a colonial empire that brought more and more exotic spices and culture. Two world wars though basically hosed up an entire generation and broke enough inter-generational knowledge and taste. It's extremely hard to re-build a culture or tradition after it's been destroyed.

But those people posted are extreme even for england. That's the sort of picky eating that comes from child-abuse levels of picky-eating enabling.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

MasBrillante posted:

wildly disgusting mush

:britain:

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

It would probably be completely bland. Carrots, peas, and roast beef cooked until as much flavor and texture is sapped from it. It's basically one step up from eating white bread and rice for every meal.

I was being literal about the dog food. Dog food hasn’t got salt or any spices in it. Just meat and cheap vegetables boiled and ground.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Apparently for a very long time England had quite renown cuisine due to high quality ingredients and a colonial empire that brought more and more exotic spices and culture. Two world wars though basically hosed up an entire generation and broke enough inter-generational knowledge and taste. It's extremely hard to re-build a culture or tradition after it's been destroyed.

The Supersizers did some videos on wartime and post-war British cuisine, and Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons spent a week living on a British civilian's ration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOE0VP0EZ0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTdRLPN3ZGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5993lPFEwaE

The food is really boring by today's standards, but it still incorporates a lot of creativity and nobody was afraid of seasoning even if they didn't have very much to go around. A lot of the food was perfectly fine, if dull to eat 5 years in a row.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

MasBrillante posted:

She HURT him? Are dudes really that fragile?

Pages back but I slept with a dood who didn't tell me beforehand (waited until just after we finished and said, "Looks like I'm not a virgin anymore!") and wound up getting super hurt. I had inquired about previous sexual activity ("I've had girlfriends..." - he even got tested to keep up the ruse that he was experienced), didn't want a deep relationship with him, and stopped sleeping with him because I was loving misled.

If he had been honest, it wouldn't have been an issue, but it tanked whatever we may have had and he STILL thought I wronged him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

We have a healthy, trusting relationship, however...

DemoneeHo posted:

My boyfriend [28M] wants me [27F] to take a dump in front of him to prove that I'm not cheating.
Considering his stupidity I'm surprised he believes that girlfriends take dumps at all.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Girl should just leave a double decker in his toilet with a text: "I left proof at your apartment. I'm leaving you."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
e: nevermind i don't want to revive a days old derail

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 28, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

christmas boots posted:

but gently caress that guy lol

no don't!!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Palpek posted:

We have a healthy, trusting relationship, however...

I'll never cease to be amazed at how far you can go with abusing or being crazy and your partner's first reaction will still be to ask Reddit if they're overreacting.

What kind of judgement does this girl display in her regular life that her boyfriend demands that she take a massive dump in front of him to prove that she's not cheating and she still thinks "What if I'm the one in the wrong?"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

duck trucker posted:

Girl should just leave a double decker in his toilet with a text: "I left proof at your apartment. I'm leaving you."
Come on, she has to work 'dump' into it.

'Looks like I took two dumps today, I'm sure you'll enjoy eachothers company.'

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd poo poo into all the Tupperware I could find and then fill his fridge, freezer, and cabinets.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

DemoneeHo posted:

When I was in my 20s I donated sperm as there is a massive shortage in my country (I literally donated after reading about this shortage in the newspaper).

Wait hang on, can we talk about the massive sperm shortage that was in the papers?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coca Koala posted:

Wait hang on, can we talk about the massive sperm shortage that was in the papers?

Yeah I feel like we need some more detail on this.

Was it like a front page story?

Massive Sperm Shortage Threatens Community

I’m imagining a news boy shouting that on the corner now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coca Koala posted:

Apparently China has been working on developing new sperm extraction techniques for sperm banks because they have a declining birth rate but not enough viable sperm in banks to help impregnate women with donors.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I hate everyone in this story. Enjoy:

My (22F) sister (21F) didn’t come to my college graduation so I preemptively disinvited her from my wedding and now she’s pretending like nothing happened? I'm confused, help.

quote:

Used a bad word, was taken down, here's the fixed repost.

Okay so, my (22F) sister (21F). She FaceTimes me a week before my college graduation randomly and we talk for about 10 mins. She says “I have a crazy story and normal story, which one do you want to hear first?” Worried, I say “Let’s start with normal” and proceeds to tell me that she can’t come to my graduation because she can’t find a place for her dog. She lives in another state than me and has an emotional support animal. She said that it costs $250 a night and she can’t afford it. This conversation and explanation (with no apology) lasts for about 3 mins. Hurt, I kinda rush her along and tell her to tell me about the crazy story so I can get off the phone. She proceeds to tell me that the guy she had been sleeping with since February apparently has a wife and she called my sister. She did not know that he was married and my sister goes into detail about how she met up with the wife, brought her wine and helped her pack up the guy’s things. My sister, let’s call her Viv, spends most of this conversation telling me how supportive and great she is being to this stranger. I rush off the phone, citing my fiancé as a reason to go.

So here I am, confused and hurt and convinced that she is lying. I google doggy day cares and find out it is NO WHERE NEAR $250 a night. It’s $50 for LUXURY. I’m asking for 4 days. I had thought my mom bought her a ticket and her dog sitter fell through at the last moment. I texted her a link to a place with cheaper boarding and heard nothing back.

Then I texted her, trying to articulate my feelings and saying how hurt and disappointed I was that she wouldn’t be at such a major life event. We both had a rough childhood, our parents are divorced and were always pitted against each other. We are complete opposites and she is my only full-blood sibling. We have a complicated relationship to say the least. But, I have been trying to be a better sister and be there for her when she needs me. I can’t do much bc we live across the country from each other but still. It was really important that my family be there because I am moving out of the country shortly after graduation and this was my last chance to be all together with my family. Viv responded to my texts saying “We aren’t even that close so idk why you’re so upset”.

Later, she posted on Snapchat about how she spent $60 on her new hair and how it was the “best $60 she ever spent” and I simply replied “really?” because I was hurt. She blocked me. Pissed, I texted her saying “Really? You’re gonna block me bc I called you out for being extremely inconsiderate and distasteful?” and she threatened to block my number too.

Honestly, it kept escalating and I was so hurt that I told her something along the lines of “Glad to know now that you don’t care about me. One less wedding invitation to send I guess.” She responded very passively aggressively saying “Awww cute. You think you can hurt me :))”

Then I was done. I sent some passive aggressive things then a long kind of goodbye text wishing her luck, saying how I regretted how this turned out, and I hope she finds people who truly care about her and other complimentary things. I was heartbroken. I sincerely thought this was it and I was gonna cut ties with my sister as soon as I moved out of the country. This is also when I realized she blocked my number and I have no clue if she ever saw any of my messages.

Later, I found out that she didn’t have a plane ticket bc our grandma (whom also didn’t show up to my graduation despite being a few hours away) bailed on housing Viv and her dog last minute. Viv was supposed to be working in the state I was in and was supposed to be in my state for the entire summer and plans fell through. My mom told me she thought Viv felt bad and didn’t know how to tell me so she just said the thing about dog daycares costing $250. Idk.

Side note: almost none of my family showed up to my graduation. In their defense, I didn’t invited anyone but in my defense, the school hosed up and never gave me invitations to send and I was BEYOND stressed. Also the information was on the college website no real excuses. I’m the oldest of 4 and 1 of my 4 siblings showed up. One. I lost my chance to say goodbye to my two youngest siblings before I move across the world because my father thought the graduation was at 8 PM instead of AM. My grandmother was supposed to come with my youngest siblings and my father but, due to this mix up, they didn’t. I was the first grandchild to graduate college. I’m not sad ha ha

Then, today, about a week after my graduation and I am with my mom, in the same state as her, Viv FaceTimes me. Confused, I don’t pick up and try texting her saying “sorry. Was busy. What’s up?” Instead of texting back she FaceTimes me AGAIN and, not sure what else to do, I answer. SHE ACTS LIKE NOTHING IS WRONG! Tells me random stories, is laughing with me, showing me her dog and inviting me over to her house. Doesn’t even mention graduation, ask me how it was, congratulate me. Nothing. Viv just goes on about her and her friends and how she got in a fight and all this weird stuff bc her life is wild apparently.

I have no idea how to feel or what to do? I asked her if we were good and she said “we were always good. I just didn’t want to hear your bullshit so I blocked you for 30 mins.” I’m SO CONFUSED. I feel like a crazy person. I felt stupid for still being upset when she was so calm so I just went along with it. I also hate conflict and she was dodging it like a pro so I went along with it? But, I cried for DAYS over this and was almost alone at my graduation. It sucked. I was absolutely heartbroken and didn’t even want to walk. I still haven’t even been able to celebrate my achievement because I’m so heartbroken about everything surrounding it.

Now my fiancé is disappointed in me for not standing my ground or something, still doesn’t want her at the wedding, and I have no idea what’s going on. Help. Do I mend our relationship? Pretend everything is okay until I move and then cut ties? Do I fight for her to be at my wedding? Should I even want her at my wedding at this point? What does any of this mean? Do I demand an apology? Do I just move on? HELP!

TL;DR My sister didn’t come to my graduation bc, according to her, she couldn’t find a place to take care of her dog. She bragged about spending money on social media and when I called her out for being distasteful, she blocked me. We fought over text until it escalated and I disinvited her to my wedding and she blocked me. Now, apparently she’s unblocked me and she’s FaceTiming me like nothing happened. I don’t know how to feel and my fiancé still doesn’t want her at our wedding. SOS.

My favorite comment:

quote:

If this was in the r/AmItheAsshole sub I'd be voting Everyone Sucks Here.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MasBrillante posted:

It’s too spicy.

A close friend of mine's mother actually cried when eating a "spicy" salmon Maki. Like what, it's orange mayo! There ain't no spice in that thing! It barely tastes like anything.

No wasabi even. And yes they're the whitest people I know.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Typical teenage stupidity from purported adults:

Dealing with nudes to and from exes

quote:

My (33m) gf (26f) and I have been together for about 1 year. We've had some issues compromising on how much of our past relationships is acceptable to drag along into ours. Most recently, I asked her to delete any nudes from her exes or that she had taken for her exes and she agreed and asked that I do the same.

As she was going through her pics, she decided to send me one that her last boyfriend took of her, naked, holding her cat, and she said "I'm gonna keep this one." Im okay with her keeping it because it's her cat that is the purpose of the pic and it isnt really sexual in nature. However I thought it was in really poor taste to send me the picture.

I told her I didn't think it was appropriate to send me a nude picture her ex took of her because i don't want to share in an intimate moment between her and someone else. For context, immediately before she sent the pic, we had been talking about the anxieties we have related to each others pasts (another topic and not on trial right now). I think it was a stupid and thoughtless thing to do.

Am I being overly critical?

Tl;dr: gf and I mutually decided to delete nudes of our exes, then she sent me a nude her ex took of her and I am not happy about it. Not sure if what she did was a poor decision or if I'm being overly critical.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I feel like we need some more detail on this.

Was it like a front page story?

Massive Sperm Shortage Threatens Community

I’m imagining a news boy shouting that on the corner now.

Googling massive sperm shortage did not disappoint.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/britain-is-facing-a-major-sperm-shortage-9569949.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

quote:

In their defense, I didn’t invited anyone but in my defense, the school hosed up and never gave me invitations to send and I was BEYOND stressed. Also the information was on the college website no real excuses.
hahaha what

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Xenocides posted:

My (22F) sister (21F) didn’t come to my college graduation so I preemptively disinvited her from my wedding and now she’s pretending like nothing happened? I'm confused, help.

My favorite comment:

I saw that one last night trying to find something zesty for the thread and eventually decided 'Welp, they're both petty, lovely babbies'.

I found one with a guy's gf telling him she was 'a sorta cannibal', waffled on posting it, and now it's disappeared from r/r so I can't share the pain with you all.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

She's upset that nobody showed up to her graduation that she didn't invite them to, obviously!

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Maybe Britain lied about the shortage and imported the sperm to inherit the genes with better taste buds

Xenocides posted:

This family is a hot mess

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

My [27F] boyfriend [29M] does not comfort me, show any empathy, or sympathize with me when I have problems in my work.

quote:

Throwaway, boyfriend reddits, slight detail changes, etc. We've been together for 8 years.

My job had a dramatic shift in management in the last 2ish months. We went from a great manager who resolved disputes to a manager who's approach to employee disputes is "that's not my problem, you're here to do a job, deal with it on your own."

I have been working at this place for almost a year now. In that almost year span, I have had disputes with coworkers about once or twice and each time were resolved by my manager, who I would inform of a problem happening, and she would thank me for telling her., and she would make sure things got handled. She was willing to escalate problems if they never got resolved. I admired her because I felt like the genuinely cared about her staff.

Well, 2 months ago she left for another job and a new manager came in. This manager couldn't care less about anything other than the place making money and having a decently staffed workplace. Unfortunately, I had another dispute with a coworker so I decided to tell her, and she basically told me that I am here to make money and I need to "deal with it" on my own and it is 100% not her problem. So I "dealt with it" until she became the one who joined in and started treating me the same as my coworkers do.

To make a long story short, my work environment is toxic. I am treated like I am the poo poo on the bottom of people's shoes. Everything I do is wrong, stupid, slow, not the "right" way, inefficient, I am lazy and try to get out of doing work; while everyone else acts like what they do is better, their ways of doing the same job are far superior than mine, they can do no wrong, they know far more than me (especially the people who have been here 3 months), they do everything. This is far from the truth. I do things the correct way, what I was taught by my more senior coworkers, the old manager, and the job aides on every drat wall. I do the things people don't, I am never just standing there on my phone doing nothing watching my coworkers work. One of my coworkers refuses to clean up anything simply because, "I don't clean." Our district manager came down late last week and told her to do dishes, my coworker scoffed and said "I don't do dishes" and outright didn't do it and was on her phone instead. I did everything I was told to do AND the dishes, but that didn't mean anything apparently.

People FaceTime and take phone calls on the job, leaving me to do extra work. I don't mind it; what I do mind is people acting like I stood by and let things get busy and difficult because I am lazy and stupid. My station can be dirty because we had a rush and it automatically makes me the second coming of Hitler. However, the next day someone else has the exact same station as me and it's dirty? Oh, that's understandable because it was busy and they didn't have time to clean. I am expected to make messes and be too lazy to clean it with absolutely no consideration for the fact it was probably busy and I had no time.

Now that is out of the way, there was an incident at work on Memorial Day that made me walk out and when I got home I threw my work shirt in the garbage. I was feeling heavily emotional and didn't want to talk about it yet until I was done choking back tears. I'm not a crier. I did, however, send a quick message to my friends on Discord about what happened (my friends have experience in this and one of them is a manager at their own place). My boyfriend got upset at this, saying I am "keeping him in the dark" and "your discord friends are far more interesting than me." I thought he was making my problems about him.

We got home and I was feeling composed enough and unloaded everything on him. I told him at the end that I do not plan on going back to work because I am treated and regarded so poorly. I am also so stressed out my IBS symptoms are returning and I am experiencing an increase of side effects of my medication. He started off with: "I know how you feel and know how frustrating that is, but.........." and I automatically knew he was going to minimize my feelings. He did, he basically said I brought all my problems upon myself because I reported someone for treating me terribly. His approach, every god drat time, to this kind of stuff is basically the "well that's the way it is."

He then, again, compared me to his coworker who is allegedly "going through the same things, probably moreso." His coworker allegedly is dealing with the same thing as me, and apparently whatever she is doing is right because she still comes into work and collects pay, which is what he wants me to do. I know how she feels, maybe she goes home and cries until she goes to sleep. Maybe she's in therapy for depression. Does he consider the emotional aspect of it? No. The only thing he seems to care about is how his coworker is able to show up everyday with a facade of "everything is fine" and he wants me to do the same. I went to him for some god drat comfort, reassurance, and sympathy and he just cannot loving do that. He feels compelled to give advice all the time, and it's not even advice that "helps," it's hardly advice at all, it's mostly just pointing out "oh that's caused by you, you did that on your own, that's your fault."

He has compared me to my brother before. Let me give you a quick rundown: my brother is a manchild and takes after his father (whom is a complete narcissist). My brother is willingly unemployed and every job he's ever had he's been fired or has quit because he feels like he is the best at every job he does and if anyone ever complained about him being lazy, instead of doing more work to prove he is not lazy, he will stand there and be lazy and watch the job be done expecting it to fail without him, only for the job to be done and him getting fired for not doing his job. Him and I are eons apart with completely different work ethics. He graduated high school almost 15 years ago yet expects everyone else to treat and see him like they did in high school so he has become a repulsive person who only talks about drugs and video games at almost 33 years old, while everyone he's ever known have grown up and have careers and families. While he sits on his computer yelling at 12 year olds on Fortnite. He has quit his jobs when he feels like "everyone is bullying me" AKA no one finds him entertaining and hilarious and are disgusted by him because he only complains about his previous job, his kids, his gf, and only talks about drugs that no one cares about. Coworkers of his have up and left the room because he started talking about stupid poo poo before.

I tend to not complain about my personal life at work because I know no one truly cares. I let people vent to me sometimes because they choose to and find me approachable enough to confide in because they know I will support them and help them. I do not treat anyone badly at work, and if I ever did, I apologized to them personally and have made amends. People have bad days, I get it, and I fix my own problems. Do I target people and talk poo poo about them or in front of them to purposely hurt them and make them feel terrible? No. Do I boss them around and force them do to things or shame them and tell them how they do things is "wrong" and "slow"? No. I know how to interact with people respectfully. I guess I'm not allowed the same. Anyway, this just goes to show that my brother and I are universes different.

I feel like my boyfriend "just tells it how it is" and compares me to his coworker all the time because he feels like he needs to remind me that I am not special, I am not the only one with this problem and if other people can "just deal with it" then so can I. I love my job, and every single job I've had, even though my coworkers treat me like crap. However, I am not overly fond of coming home crying my eyes out and having him just tell me I cause my problems at work by asking for help from management. It makes me feel powerless, useless, stupid, and like I don't matter.

Yes, we have discussed this. We talked about it last night, the only thing he said was: "I don't know exactly what to say. In the past I've said the wrong things to you so I'm trying not to now" and that was that. No apologies, no promises to try better, nothing about being sympathetic. I guess I'm supposed to go to other people for comfort instead of him because he'd rather just kick me when I'm down under the intention of "just telling how it is."

I guess everyone is allowed to treat me terribly as long as they pay me.

We're supposed to finally move in together in a few months but I keep thinking about how difficult it will be, if not impossible, to go to him for comfort because he seems to not be that kind of person. Either you're sympathetic and compassionate or you're not. He prefers the "well you're there to make money not friends" way of "comfort" regardless of my state of distress and I think he genuinely can't sympathize and empathize. Every time he "tries" a but.............. always follows, and to me, that "but" just cancels out everything he said before it. It's the same as going, "I'm sorry, but....... [insert excuse here]."

Unfortunately, this is not the only time this has come up with us. I can file it under "Recurring Problems" and every time I think about it, I see the problem being 100% me and 0% him. It makes me feel like I am just oversensitive, I can't take "criticism," I'm immature, I'm stupid, I need to "grow the gently caress up." I just feel subhuman. I've been told "everyone is miserable at their job, welcome to the real world" and that breaks me. Like I said, I love my job, and all my previous jobs, and loving my job makes me happy. I feel like people just poo poo on that and take advantage of me for their own enjoyment and it kills me.

I'd change jobs but the job market at my location is awful and I've been job hunting for 4 months and haven't even gotten an interview, just rejection emails.

Boyfriend told me I could either quit my job now and live off my savings until we move in or I can keep going to work and "dealing with it" and make money, because remember: money is the most important thing right now. My feelings? My mental health? gently caress all of that. He even goes as far as telling me I "expect too much of him," which makes me think that the "too much" limit gets reached when I ask him for things he simply doesn't want to do, or thinks he "can't" do. I don't understand what is so hard about being supportive and sympathetic, why does he feel COMPELLED to tell me all my problems at work are because of me? Does he not know that will solve pretty much nothing? I don't understand any of this!

I just don't know if this relationship is sustainable.

TL;DR I cannot go to my boyfriend for comfort, sympathy, or reassurance because he simply cannot do that and would rather give me "advice," which is more telling me how my problems at work are my fault and nothing can be done about it because I already hosed everything up. He constantly tells me I should be like his coworker who allegedly "deals with the same problems, probably moreso" and encourages me to just "deal with it" because she can, so I can, too. We're supposed to move in together soon, but if I can't go to him for support, then I think our relationship is unsustainable. Is it? Or am I just oversensitive? Do I expect "too much" of him?

Boyfriend needs to ask himself what Pete would do.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
*girlfriend

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for raining on my cousin's parade regarding the name she picked out for her baby?

My cousin Stephanie and I are really more friends than relatives. An important note is that she's not really online much, so can be out of the loop on certain memes and jokes in internet culture, and tbh, doesn't really understand the concept of viral internet references or how they work.

Stephanie is pregnant and just found out it's going to be a girl. About a week ago, she told a gathering of her best girlfriends that she's going to name her daughter Karen. The room instantly went cold, but after an awkward silence, everyone else politely said it was lovely. I couldn't bring myself to respond at all. Later in the evening, when Stephanie was out of the room, everyone was immediately like, "OMG, that poor kid," and "why would she pick Karen of all names?!" I was uncomfortable with this conversation, given that everyone had been so positive about the name to her face.

I thought more about it over the next couple of days, and just felt really weird about the whole thing. The name is really loaded, to the point it could be detrimental to the baby, and Stephanie had no idea of the connotations to make an informed decision.

So a couple of days later, I tentatively brought it up. I told her I was so excited for the baby, and just wanted her to have all available information when picking a name. I then started to explain that Karen has some negative connotations and has become sort of an internet joke to describe a specific kind of entitled middle aged woman. Stephanie instantly was furious and started talking over me, saying, "why are you saying this?! This is so mean!!" I was really surprised by her reaction (it felt very, very out of character), so I immediately stopped and said, "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I just wanted to tell you something I thought you might not know."

She replied, "That's the name I picked for my daughter. And you think I picked it as some kind of joke?! I don't understand why you'd say something so hurtful." When she said that, I felt like it signaled that she didn't really understand what I was trying to tell her, so after agonizing for a second about whether to press the issue even though she was so angry, I felt like in for a penny, in for a pound, and since she was already mad, I wanted her to at least understand what I was trying to explain to her. I googled "Karen know your meme" on my phone and tried to show her the screen of results while saying, "look, I'm just saying that there's more meaning to the name than you may realize."

She stood up, pushed my phone away, and shouted, "Wow!!" She then stormed out of my home and drove away. My aunt and mom have been berating me all week, because Stephanie told them that I made fun of her baby name. Stephanie has not spoken to me or responded to my texts since.

I can take a hint, and I'm not going to broach a topic again that caused so much distress, but I keep going back and forth on whether I was TA here by bringing it up in the first place.

Edit: Thanks, everyone! I have been properly schooled, and I accept my judgement that I was TA here. Stephanie and I have a history of being extremely open and honest with each other (I was the maid of honor in her wedding, which we planned on being the case from a young age, and we always joked as teenagers that part of my duties would include talking her out of the marriage if the groom she picked sucked), and so maybe I was too flippant with approaching this topic due to our history, and was unempathetic in underestimating how much she was already invested in the name she chose for her future daughter. I admit I'm a bit frustrated that Stephanie still doesn't understand what I was trying to tell her (she still thinks I was making some kind of weird, cruel joke accusing her of picking the name as a joke), but I have messaged her a sincere apology that she accepted, and I will never speak of this again, to Stephanie or Baby Karen. I'll also stand up for Stephanie if her other friends poo poo talk the name around me again. If they're not willing to voice their thoughts to Stephanie directly, they need to not say the kinds of things they were saying behind her back.

Edit 2: One more thing: I definitely was not trying to tell Stephanie to not name her daughter Karen. I just wanted her to make the decision either way knowing the connotations, since I'd want someone to do the same for me if I picked a baby name with cultural baggage I wasn't aware of. I realize now I handled it poorly and was hurtful to Stephanie in the process, but I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't actively trying to talk her out of the name. I just didn't want her to be blindsided if it came up later.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my friend that I think her daughter's name is silly?

I have this friend, lets call her Wara. She's an awesome friend but is slightly odd. She reminds me a lot of Amy from big bang theory because of the way she dresses. She had a daughter 4 years ago whom she named Waro.

When she told me the name she was giving her child, I immediately thought it sounded awful. I asked her where the name came from, if its a name from her country, she said no, she just made it up. So my reply was "well that's very creative!". And left it at that.

Now I am having a baby soon and she asked me about what the name will be. I told her its going to be Anthony since I just like popular old school english/american names. And this is a name I liked since I was a girl.

She gave me a look and said "I'm sorry but i dont like that name, it sounds so ugly! How about xxxx instead?" While showing me a book on baby names.

I got super annoyed at how she put it that I blurted "well, I'm not gonna take advice from someone who gave their kid a silly name"

She was stunned and asked me why did I say that. I told her, I was never a fan of her kid's name but I wasn't insensitive enough to say it. She said I am being insensitive now. So i replied "yeah well suck it up, you shouldn't have said Anthony is an ugly name since that is what my child will be called".

She left shortly after and I got a text saying that she is thinking about reevaluating our friendship.

Edit: I'm not contemplating on the name Anthony. His name has already been decided long ago and it is Anthony. He just hasn't come out of me yet although it will be any day now. So I don't understand where all the "potential" name comments are coming from since I posted that his name is "going to be anthony". Yall make it sound like her kid is the only one that is existing and mine is some fantasy child who isn't alive yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for raining on my cousin's parade regarding the name she picked out for her baby?

christ, log off you moron, normal people without internet brain worms are not gonna be thinking about this dumb poo poo