Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is fine, New Gundam Breaker is Bad

:agreed:

I don't even mind the story because my favorite toy show plotline is when the entire world inexplicably revolves around a really niche hobby like card games or spinning tops, but who on earth were they trying to appeal to by turning it into a really lovely gundam versus gameplay-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yinlock posted:

:agreed:

I don't even mind the story because my favorite toy show plotline is when the entire world inexplicably revolves around a really niche hobby like card games or spinning tops, but who on earth were they trying to appeal to by turning it into a really lovely gundam versus gameplay-wise

If you haven't you should watch Danball Senki.

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

I want to get into Gundam again for reasons still unknown to me. What series should I watch that's on Hulu? Is Origin good?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ross the boss posted:

I want to get into Gundam again for reasons still unknown to me. What series should I watch that's on Hulu? Is Origin good?

Origin's good, but unlike the manga (available for free online through chapter 63!), it's not a good starter. It's all backstory that assumes you already give a drat about Char.

You'd be better off starting with 08th, Wing, 00, or (my vote) Iron Blooded Orphans.

08th is a sidestory to the original Gundam about a bunch of grunt pilots. Lower stakes, and there's a terrible romance plot that comes to dominate it, but the smaller scale appeals to some people.

Wing was the one that briefly got big in the USA. Five boy band members are sent to Earth without being told about the others to commit Space Terrorism. Everybody keeps revealing new political factions who backstab everyone else, and also people talk about pacifism while shooting lasers to explode everything. The dub is often amazing.

00 is Wing with the 90s toned down. Instead of random terrorists, you got a bunch of terrorists and military outcasts working on a giant robot Seldon Plan, and the politics are much more 2000s relevant instead of Wing style crazy. Second season goes back to UC themes, which takes away from the ambiguity of season 1 in favor of "Gundams Good, World Government Evil", but if you want lasers everywhere, you could do much worse.

Iron Blooded Orphans is about a bunch of abused child soldier mercenaries trying to transport an idealistic young politician to Earth from Mars in the interests of the greatest good: Cold, hard cash. Set hundreds of years after a catastrophic war, IBO's all about moral ambiguity and brutal melee combat. Instead of lasers, mechs hit each other with blunt weapons the size of buildings, and instead of giving a clean protagonist faction, you get a bunch of mercs working for the Space Yakuza and shooting people in back alleys.

Youtube also has a rotating set of shows on the GundamInfo channel, with G apparently set to show up soon. That one's the kung fu and yelling Gundam, which is fun.

The School of the Undefeated of the East!

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 27, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

realizing that like none of the best gundam is streaming legally is real sad

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ross the boss posted:

I'd suggest 00 to start with, though you might want to only watch the first season as the second isn't as good, and the way the first season ends means it's pretty easy to treat as being standalone

Also if you have Netflix it has Gundam Unicom on it, that might be worth a watch as well

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ross the boss posted:

"again" implies that you've already seen some gundam. what have you seen? what did you like about it? what are you looking for in a new gundam show?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Always recommend OG Gundam in all forms, though I definitely prefer the television pacing over the compilation films. Really good dub as well, relatively speaking.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Gihren basically going "gently caress you dad, I'll be the best loving Hitler ever" will never not be funny to me.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dogsicle posted:

realizing that like none of the best gundam is streaming legally is real sad

laws are for those weighed down by gravity

spread your wings and fly :filez:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Always recommend OG Gundam in all forms, though I definitely prefer the television pacing over the compilation films. Really good dub as well, relatively speaking.

Just watched all of OG Gundam for the first time and it holds up remarkably. Knew next to nothing about the franchise going in and loved it. It also helps to build multiple Gunpla models while watching.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Unmature posted:

Just watched all of OG Gundam for the first time and it holds up remarkably. Knew next to nothing about the franchise going in and loved it. It also helps to build multiple Gunpla models while watching.

Not going to lie, I didn’t really appreciate all the different forms Barbatos goes through in the first season until I started building a few Gunpla models.

Also, second vote for IBO. It’s fine if you don’t make it your first priority, but make it your second. The story is pretty good and lots of Gundam tropes are subverted and mutated in interesting ways. Also the fights are amazing - the favored weapon on Barbatos is literally a giant loving mace.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Not going to lie, I didn’t really appreciate all the different forms Barbatos goes through in the first season until I started building a few Gunpla models.

Also, second vote for IBO. It’s fine if you don’t make it your first priority, but make it your second. The story is pretty good and lots of Gundam tropes are subverted and mutated in interesting ways. Also the fights are amazing - the favored weapon on Barbatos is literally a giant loving mace.

With a built-in piledriver, mind you.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Gihren basically going "gently caress you dad, I'll be the best loving Hitler ever" will never not be funny to me.

there's a really similar scene in the last origin movie, but it takes place at the start of the war, rather than the end, and it features degwin slumping back into his chair as gihren leaves, going "my son is full of dogshit," and then kycillia dramatically revealing herself to have been behind a curtain the entire time, listening in (this was the moment that i realized that i'd watch an entire show of the zabi family's insane drama)

does the origin manga not have the later hitler scene, and simply shifts degwin's hitler comparison to earlier in the timeline? i ended up examining both scenes back to back (movie version for the OG gundam scene), and thought the little differences between them were interesting. in the origin, gihren immediately dismisses the comparison as "hitler lost and i'm not gonna lose" and shifts right away into invoking the philosophy of zeon to spew some deflecting horseshit as he marches out of the room. in OG gundam, by contrast, gihren actually has a half second of looking genuinely taken aback by the comment, before getting dead serious and harshly listing off the failings of the federation as justification for his insane, largely indiscriminate genocide.

in OG gundam, gihren comes off as being hurt by the comment (as an insult to his pride or competency would be my reading), and halfway through working his way through the insult he figures out how to let it slide off him into a chance to prove his competency, while the origin version leans much more heavily into "gihren is a psychopathic fucker wearing the crude facade of a human's skin so he can watch people die."

what i find interesting is that in both versions, gihren is painted in somewhat broad strokes the same. he's a man without any real ideology who is using fascist rhetoric as an excuse to further his inhuman goals. in OG gundam, it comes off more like something he thought people would actually buy, like he carefully crafted his broader points into something that he thought would made sense to the listener, not realizing how loving bonkers "we just have to start murdering people so that no one is weak" sounds. in the origin, it's much more apparent that what he's saying is essentially hot air, a spur of the moment justification he came up with that puts the listener in a tough spot to argue against for the 3 seconds it takes to process what gihren just loving said, by which point gihren is already out the door.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ninjewtsu posted:

there's a really similar scene in the last origin movie, but it takes place at the start of the war, rather than the end, and it features degwin slumping back into his chair as gihren leaves, going "my son is full of dogshit," and then kycillia dramatically revealing herself to have been behind a curtain the entire time, listening in (this was the moment that i realized that i'd watch an entire show of the zabi family's insane drama)

does the origin manga not have the later hitler scene, and simply shifts degwin's hitler comparison to earlier in the timeline? i ended up examining both scenes back to back (movie version for the OG gundam scene), and thought the little differences between them were interesting. in the origin, gihren immediately dismisses the comparison as "hitler lost and i'm not gonna lose" and shifts right away into invoking the philosophy of zeon to spew some deflecting horseshit as he marches out of the room. in OG gundam, by contrast, gihren actually has a half second of looking genuinely taken aback by the comment, before getting dead serious and harshly listing off the failings of the federation as justification for his insane, largely indiscriminate genocide.

in OG gundam, gihren comes off as being hurt by the comment (as an insult to his pride or competency would be my reading), and halfway through working his way through the insult he figures out how to let it slide off him into a chance to prove his competency, while the origin version leans much more heavily into "gihren is a psychopathic fucker wearing the crude facade of a human's skin so he can watch people die."

what i find interesting is that in both versions, gihren is painted in somewhat broad strokes the same. he's a man without any real ideology who is using fascist rhetoric as an excuse to further his inhuman goals. in OG gundam, it comes off more like something he thought people would actually buy, like he carefully crafted his broader points into something that he thought would made sense to the listener, not realizing how loving bonkers "we just have to start murdering people so that no one is weak" sounds. in the origin, it's much more apparent that what he's saying is essentially hot air, a spur of the moment justification he came up with that puts the listener in a tough spot to argue against for the 3 seconds it takes to process what gihren just loving said, by which point gihren is already out the door.

The Origin does a lot of changes of that nature, changing lots of aspects of a character while still being recognizable as who they're supposed to be, for example The Origin really ramps up the whole "Char is a lying manipulative psychopath" aspect to make it a lot clearer than it was in the original series(highlighted best in my opinion by the fact that the OYW happening the way it did can be basically blamed on him very directly), but he's still recognizable as being Char

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

laws are for those weighed down by gravity

spread your wings and fly :filez:

Rightstuf is also producing discs of everything if you aren’t allergic to physical media.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

The Origin does a lot of changes of that nature, changing lots of aspects of a character while still being recognizable as who they're supposed to be, for example The Origin really ramps up the whole "Char is a lying manipulative psychopath" aspect to make it a lot clearer than it was in the original series(highlighted best in my opinion by the fact that the OYW happening the way it did can be basically blamed on him very directly), but he's still recognizable as being Char

Yeah, the Origin is a lot more self-contained and pretty clearly designed to stand alone, up to and including effectively moving some of Char's CCA bits forward to the OYW and removing the hint he survived the end. I think it stands a lot better that way TBH.

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

"again" implies that you've already seen some gundam. what have you seen? what did you like about it? what are you looking for in a new gundam show?

i was a big gundam wing fan in middle school or whenever it was on toonami. my family didn't have cable so i had my friend tape them for me in exchange for something.

i think my favorite part were the explosions and giant robots but i guess since i'm 31 now i could stand for actual dramatic themes on top of explosions and giant robots

so the origin manga is good? the books themselves look really good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Origin manga is excellent, and the hardcover editions are fantastic things to own.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gonna agree with reading The Origin. I don't buy much manga myself but every volume of The Origin sits proudly on my shelf.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ross the boss posted:

i was a big gundam wing fan in middle school or whenever it was on toonami. my family didn't have cable so i had my friend tape them for me in exchange for something.

i think my favorite part were the explosions and giant robots but i guess since i'm 31 now i could stand for actual dramatic themes on top of explosions and giant robots

so the origin manga is good? the books themselves look really good

Give the gundam trilogy movies a watch (subbed, the dub is horrendous). Just be aware going in that it's a 52 episode series cut down to 3 2-hour (I think?) movies so the pacing is going to seem a little off but otherwise they do a good job of taking the story and condensing it down to the good/important bits while remaining coherent, unlike most compilation movies. If you finish the first one and get the feeling that you'd have liked the story a lot more if it wasn't on fast forward, try the OG TV anime (dub is fine here).

I'm not going to say that the original gundam is required viewing, as there's certainly many gundam shows that aren't in the same continuity/setting as the original, but it's a good place to start and the context that that's where a lot of later gundam shows are drawing their themes and ideas from is helpful.

Or, if you want to jump right into something that you'll probably enjoy without any asterisks attached (OG gundam has a few asterisks attached), you can go the Iron Blooded Orphans route, or you could watch the opening narration of the first episode of OG gundam and hop over to 0080 war in the pocket, which is generally considered the cream of the crop around these parts. If IBO sounds up your alley, but you don't want to commit to a 50ish episode series, personally I'd highly recommend giving thunderbolt (December Sky) a watch. It's a little divisive here, but it looks gorgeous, goes really loving hard on its themes, and is only an hour long so even if you hate it you're not exactly out a huge time investment

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If you have the money The Origin manga is absolutely worth it. Echoing how nice it all looks on a bookshelf

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It looks great on a bookshelf, especially with a zaku holding them up as a bookend.

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

well i've obtained and watched 0080 and most of 0083 in the past day. loved 0080, nice little sad story. 0083 is fun, a good little action-adventure series, love the animation.

i've got OG MSG coming up next, just gonna power through the whole series. should i watch zeta or zz gundam and char's counterattack?

i've also got turn a ready to go as everyone apparently loves that here

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ross the boss posted:

well i've obtained and watched 0080 and most of 0083 in the past day. loved 0080, nice little sad story. 0083 is fun, a good little action-adventure series, love the animation.

i've got OG MSG coming up next, just gonna power through the whole series. should i watch zeta or zz gundam and char's counterattack?

i've also got turn a ready to go as everyone apparently loves that here

Zeta is really good, you should definitely watch it. ZZ is good but divisive, some people really hate it because it's an immediate direct sequel to Zeta that does a huge tonal shift over to light-hearted antics. Char's Counterattack is good, you should watch it before watching Unicorn or Narrative if you plan on watching either of those.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching Zeta now (like right now actually) and it’s really good. Gorgeous animation too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Unmature posted:

Watching Zeta now (like right now actually) and it’s really good. Gorgeous animation too.

I love the opening narration for Zeta and wish I could find it on youtube.

"This soul is certainly not at peace..."

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Unpopular opinion I don’t like Zeta.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ManSedan posted:

Unpopular opinion I don’t like Zeta.

It is unpopular but I agree.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
What do you Zeta dislikers not like about Zeta? I think it's arguably the best Gundam show. Kamille, Emma, and CharQuattro Bajeena make for a great main cast and get lots of interesting character development. I like all of the plot arcs besides Rosamia's. The Titans are an interesting antagonist organization. I even like the ending.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I like Zeta overall but it's definitely flawed. Off the top of my head the action choreography is really dull and it has a bunch of sexist writing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

brainwrinkle posted:

What do you Zeta dislikers not like about Zeta? I think it's arguably the best Gundam show. Kamille, Emma, and CharQuattro Bajeena make for a great main cast and get lots of interesting character development. I like all of the plot arcs besides Rosamia's. The Titans are an interesting antagonist organization. I even like the ending.

I find every new character heavily unlikeable with extremely few exceptions (Emma is great, Apolly has some good moments when he's allowed to be a character, and I actually liked Jerid a lot, weirdly enough).
Character development is either heavily inconsistent (Kamille goes from the world's angriest teen to super empathetic and back depending on episode) or happens completely off screen (Amuro and Beltorchica may as well be two completely different characters between leaving and rejoining the show).
The romance is either forced (Kamille/Four), dull (Kamille/Fa) or has terrible undertones (Quattro/Reccoa, everyone with Scirocco).
Misogynist writing, especially around Reccoa.
Less important, but the Biosensor is one impressive asspull that doesn't even feel fitting in the setting.

I get why most people love it and I won't say they're wrong about it, but I couldn't enjoy it myself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But YOU WILL SEE THE TEARS OF TIME.

I find Zeta to merely be alright. It certainly feels more "anime" anime than 0079 did. It has a budget, but doesn't really know what to do with it a lot of the time, while the lack of a budget in 0079 forced them to get creative. As was said, Zeta has some pretty lame action choreography, and I actually don't like the art style all that much. The actual character designs and mecha designs are great fun and weird, but the animation and artwork feels a lot like chicken scratch to me. Maybe it's just the really thin line work and really flat colors that throw me off.

Also a pretty lame soundtrack beyond the OPs.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Lol sexist writing being a knock. Every Gundam until the 21st century ones are horribly misogynistic. Its a feature, not a bug.

Zeta is great, ZZ is not good (don't buy into anyone telling you to sit through 38 or so episodes of stupid bullshit to get to the relevant parts of it).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Lol sexist writing being a knock. Every Gundam until the 21st century ones are horribly misogynistic. Its a feature, not a bug.

Zeta is great, ZZ is not good (don't buy into anyone telling you to sit through 38 or so episodes of stupid bullshit to get to the relevant parts of it).

This...isn't true. Pre-21st century Gundam shows actually aren't super misogynistic as a whole, with the standout exception of Victory and parts of Zeta and 0083. ZZ has basically no bizarre women-on-pedestals poo poo going on, as an example. The 90s Gundam AUs are for the most part downright progressive, especially Wing.

Sexist writing is absolutely a valid knock for someone to not enjoy a show. I like Victory and think it's a good show with fantastic choreography and designs but I can't blame anyone who is put off by Tomino going through an extremely bizarre phase in his life and that translating to the writing, for example.

ZZ is good all the way through and the way the show gradually gets grimmer after starting so goofy and happy go lucky is part of what makes the back half hit home.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also a pretty lame soundtrack beyond the OPs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTp-D3GXREA

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Well you see Zeta actually makes a lot of sexist comments about men too and....

Ugh, I remember a substantially dumber me made those exact arguments in 2014 when I first watched Zeta. While it's true the gender politics of Zeta are hosed up across the board, I get now why it's not really equivalent or a defense of the misogyny to say "well men are treated as bloodthristy beasts."

But are you saying there's sexism in muh Gundam Wing? Relena and Dorothy are the best ladies in Gundam history.

My Gundam Lady Ranking:
Relena
Dorothy
Four
Emma
Natarle

I know SEED gets poo poo on here a lot but Natarle was such a fantastic character. And Zeta and Wing are just overall my favorite Gundam shows and their female characters contribute to that.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Wing was the one that got me into Gundam because it had cute boys and multiple women doing important poo poo, even if somewhat in the background.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Kanos posted:

This...isn't true. Pre-21st century Gundam shows actually aren't super misogynistic as a whole, with the standout exception of Victory and parts of Zeta and 0083. ZZ has basically no bizarre women-on-pedestals poo poo going on, as an example. The 90s Gundam AUs are for the most part downright progressive, especially Wing.

Sexist writing is absolutely a valid knock for someone to not enjoy a show. I like Victory and think it's a good show with fantastic choreography and designs but I can't blame anyone who is put off by Tomino going through an extremely bizarre phase in his life and that translating to the writing, for example.

ZZ is good all the way through and the way the show gradually gets grimmer after starting so goofy and happy go lucky is part of what makes the back half hit home.

We're just gonna disagree about ZZ being good (because imo it isn't, and I've litigated that before in this thread). But ZZ is sure as hell full of misogyny. Women are repeatedly physically and verbally abused, treated like they don't deserve the positions they are in, and generally are relegated to getting the poo poo end of the stick from all the male characters. There is an entire arc where they are basically being sold into sexual slavery on a colony for umm we aren't really sure why just because I guess.

There is no gradual grim adjustment, the tone of the show suddenly shifts with about 12 episodes left to go where they decide it's time to like have a serious plot as opposed to toy commercial escapades.

I will agree, AU Gundam is better about female portrayals, but UC material just isn't. Wing isn't overly so (maybe even reasonably positive about it's women), G and X aren't overtly awful but aren't particularly empowering either. I think it gets better starting with SEED to a degree and 00 is def better about how it treats and handles women.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 28, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I mean when you pull a song out of context then yes, I can focus on it and say that it is good music. However I also rate music by how well it sticks with me when I'm done watching a show. Not a lot of Zeta's music really sticks with me outside of watching an episode. If I didn't know that the video you posted was from Gundam, I wouldn't have really pinned it as being associated with the franchise. 0079 has one of the most memorable soundtracks of any anime series I've watched. I can't say the same for Zeta. Most shows tend to have one or two big musical pieces that will stick in your mind, and for me, those are Zeta's OPs. For 0079 it's From Sleep and Pathetic, but Decisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I really like Riders in the Skies and the generic battle theme from Zeta, though i'm not sure on its name. The Ops are really good too though and the official streams not having them is a crime.