Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lambert posted:

Wait for the final release if you don't want to experience any oddities.
It worked fine before, and can be made to work again by changing the user agent. Microsoft is using Google's own rendering engine now, for Christ's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Lambert posted:

Every video site should have the ability for the video to completely fill the browser window, just like Twitch has. Fullscreen is too disruptive, and fixed video sizes are always either too big or too small.

That's why I like the previous layout, because the current one's options are "massive video, massive video but shifted to the center of the screen by a few pixels, and fullscreen". Prefer to retain the option to have at least two distinct sizes before jumping to fullscreen. Then again, I usually have videos playing in smaller windows while I work on things with PDFs often snapped to the side of the screen.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

It worked fine before, and can be made to work again by changing the user agent. Microsoft is using Google's own rendering engine now, for Christ's sake.

Google hates Microsoft, it's as simple as that really.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Google hates Microsoft, it's as simple as that really.

Google hates Firefox as well. I wonder who don't they hate?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The only reason I'm switching to Chredge from Chrome is the fact Chrome no longer has tab mute as a feature. It was removed with the latest version.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Volguus posted:

Europe needs to gently caress up their profits some more due to this anticompetitive stuff.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lambert posted:

The only reason I'm switching to Chredge from Chrome is the fact Chrome no longer has tab mute as a feature. It was removed with the latest version.

If you're absolutely married with the Blink rendering engine try out Opera. Or Vivaldi (though vivaldi I remember did not have the ability to mute a tab that was not yet playing audio) .

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Thanks! I've tried both Vivaldi and Opera, both of them seem solid - but I think I like Edge the most (even though I dislike small details, like not being able to change the search bar from Bing to Google - this wasn't possible with UWP Edge, either).

Vivaldi's side panel feature is pretty sweet, it's something other browsers should implement as well.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Volguus posted:

Anyone who dares to stand between them and complete control over your computing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Edgecrhome is holy poo poo fast. Faster than any other browser on my machine.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lambert posted:

(even though I dislike small details, like not being able to change the search bar from Bing to Google - this wasn't possible with UWP Edge, either).

edge://settings/search -> "search engine used in the address bar" -> pick from the list. I use DDG, works fine.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That just changes the address bar search engine; from what I've seen, the new tab page search engine is always Bing (just like it is with old Edge)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

According to what this guy on Reddit found out, it's a specific block:

https://www.reddit.com/r/google/comments/btysl9/google_have_blocked_access_to_the_new_youtube/ep5hkom/

Jesus Christ, what petty poo poo.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

According to what this guy on Reddit found out, it's a specific block:

https://www.reddit.com/r/google/comments/btysl9/google_have_blocked_access_to_the_new_youtube/ep5hkom/

Jesus Christ, what petty poo poo.

One one hand I love MS getting a taste of their own medicine even if 20 years later and even if they're kinda trying to make amends now. On the other hand, yeah, we're getting a new overlord. A bigger, meaner and richer overlord.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They probably added support for Chredge detection (Edg user agent string) and this is an unintentional temporary side-effect. There's no way intentionally hindering the three tech addicts using the Edge Preview is worth any amount of effort.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Lambert posted:

They probably added support for Chredge detection (Edg user agent string) and this is an unintentional temporary side-effect. There's no way intentionally hindering the three tech addicts using the Edge Preview is worth any amount of effort.

Except that Chredge is literally using the same rendering engine that Chrome does. If it works in Chrome, then it will work in Chredge. So all the flags that allow Chrome through should allow Chredge through. Google is terrible at many things, but they cannot be _this_ incompetent to mix a straightforward string comparison.

I don't know how things work in fancy Fortune 50 companies like Google, but I would assume that at a minimum, before this change went live to the entire YouTube server farm, the following had to happen:
- someone with enough authority to add features to the YouTube product requested the change
- a developer made the change
- another developer reviewed the change and merged it into a staging tree
- a QA person tested the change and confirmed that it worked as expected
- someone promoted the change into the main tree
- someone deployed the change to production

It's been pretty clear for ages that Google is as self-serving as it gets, but the fact that nobody in the entire chain questioned this change and allowed it to get developed in the first place, let alone deployed, shows that this sort of behaviour is commonplace company-wide.
No doubt it will get reverted pretty soon, with an 'oops, silly fingers!' excuse, but the fact that this happens on a weekly basis with Google's products shows that they either are so immensely stupid that they think these sorts of things will go unnoticed, or they employ the most immensely useless development team in the known universe... and since the USA is apparently a place where it's pretty easy to fire incompetent employees, there's no excuse for them to still be working on the product if that was the case.

tl:dr; gently caress Google entirely.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

beuges posted:

Except that Chredge is literally using the same rendering engine that Chrome does. If it works in Chrome, then it will work in Chredge. So all the flags that allow Chrome through should allow Chredge through. Google is terrible at many things, but they cannot be _this_ incompetent to mix a straightforward string comparison.

I don't know how things work in fancy Fortune 50 companies like Google, but I would assume that at a minimum, before this change went live to the entire YouTube server farm, the following had to happen:
- someone with enough authority to add features to the YouTube product requested the change

It's been pretty clear for ages that Google is as self-serving as it gets, but the fact that nobody in the entire chain questioned this change and allowed it to get developed in the first place, let alone deployed, shows that this sort of behaviour is commonplace company-wide.
No doubt it will get reverted pretty soon, with an 'oops, silly fingers!' excuse, but the fact that this happens on a weekly basis with Google's products shows that they either are so immensely stupid that they think these sorts of things will go unnoticed, or they employ the most immensely useless development team in the known universe... and since the USA is apparently a place where it's pretty easy to fire incompetent employees, there's no excuse for them to still be working on the product if that was the case.

Youtube devs took it upon themselves to add a message that said they were going to block IE6 back in the day with absolutely no approval from management. This prompted other sites to follow suit and triggered the biggest impetus to killing most of IE6's market share.
In literally this one case it was a good thing. But what I'm saying is that you can't assume a big company has any kind of good oversight.

Other than that, this is pretty obviously a conscious decision because if people notice Chredge is better than :chome:, they might lose market share to it. Just like how they purposely crippled Youtube's performance in Firefox by using nonstandard javascript which resulted in much slower pageloads than Chrome.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I should probably start investigating moving my poo poo to Microsoft. Never figured I'd consider this. As soon as I figure out how to deal with my current email accounts being my main Google accounts for Play Store and poo poo.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Upgraded to 1903 on 3 computers. No issues so far...on each of them I downloaded the update tool and disconnected USB drivers before i updated though.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I was able to upgrade using the tool you download from MS's website with my external HDD still attached. It's a USB to SATA Asmedia 2115 chipset based device that's Radio Shack branded. I got it when the store near me was emptying their inventory.

Like this:
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-usb-to-sata-adapter

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Upgraded to 1903 on 3 computers. No issues so far...on each of them I downloaded the update tool and disconnected USB drivers before i updated though.

So is it just not possible to update to 1903 from a USB? Has Microsoft acknowledged the whole "cant upgrade cause there's a USB device plugged in" is a bug?

I had the 1903 update refusing to update with a USB wireless dongle plugged in. :psyduck:

I resorted to just installing from the update tool instead.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Snuffman posted:

So is it just not possible to update to 1903 from a USB? Has Microsoft acknowledged the whole "cant upgrade cause there's a USB device plugged in" is a bug?

I had the 1903 update refusing to update with a USB wireless dongle plugged in. :psyduck:

I resorted to just installing from the update tool instead.

I've installed 1903 via USB3.0 flash drive three times now, using a drive created with the Media Creation Tool. No problems for me. I don't think I've had external drives connected during that process, but typically when I'm installing Windows, it's on a fresh computer still in the stages of being set up, and so there aren't usually external drives already connected. I'm also the type of paranoid to avoid connecting any internal drives except the OS drive until after installation, so ymmv

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I've installed 1903 via USB3.0 flash drive three times now, using a drive created with the Media Creation Tool. No problems for me. I don't think I've had external drives connected during that process, but typically when I'm installing Windows, it's on a fresh computer still in the stages of being set up, and so there aren't usually external drives already connected. I'm also the type of paranoid to avoid connecting any internal drives except the OS drive until after installation, so ymmv

You can't upgrade an existing system using a USB drive containing the Media Creation Tool, it will complain - something you could do previously without issue. Now you have to copy the files to the computer and upgrade that way.

beuges posted:

Someone probably added new detection for Chredge but didn't allow it to use the new design, yet. Doesn't seem to be all that malicious, considering Edge Preview doesn't have any kind of market share at this moment. If this were some kind of intentional sabotage, would be really dumb to do it now, versus when it's actually released.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 28, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Lambert posted:

You can't upgrade an existing system using a USB drive containing the Media Creation Tool, it will complain - something you could do previously without issue. Now you have to copy the files to the computer and upgrade that way.

Oops, sorry, I'm dumb and misunderstood the issue. I didn't realize at first that specifically upgrade installations were being talked about

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is a weird one. It happens on 5 1903 computers I've tested. 3 at work and 2 at home.

If you open the Settings app and click on Apps, it thinks then auto closes. I can't get into Apps for the life of me on any of these upgraded computers. Does this happen to anyone else?

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 28, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Oops, sorry, I'm dumb and misunderstood the issue. I didn't realize at first that specifically upgrade installations were being talked about

You're not the only one, I've been waffling about doing a nuke and pave to 1903 over the past few days, not knowing this wasn't a problem I'd have to deal with.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GreenNight posted:

This is a weird one. It happens on 5 1903 computers I've tested. 3 at work and 2 at home.

If you open the Settings app and click on Apps, it thinks then auto closes. I can't get into Apps for the life of me on any of these upgraded computers. Does this happen to anyone else?

Fixed this dumb poo poo

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2118758-windows-10-settings-crashes-and-hangs-and-eventually-loads

Delete the files you can in here and then it works.

C:\Users\(my user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Lambert posted:

Someone probably added new detection for Chredge but didn't allow it to use the new design, yet. Doesn't seem to be all that malicious, considering Edge Preview doesn't have any kind of market share at this moment. If this were some kind of intentional sabotage, would be really dumb to do it now, versus when it's actually released.

The fact that Edge Preview has almost zero market share at the moment is also an excellent reason to not bother at all with doing a user-agent check in the first place. It's a preview browser, users are expecting some things to not render perfectly in it.

Given that Chredge and Chrome both use the exact same renderer, there is literally no reason to not allow it to use the new design, because there are zero incompatibilities, because they are both using the same renderer. And given the reports that have surfaced recently regarding how Alphabet-owned services make a habit of breaking their sites in non-Chrome browsers for no reasons (as the sites magically work perfectly in the same non-Chrome browsers if you change the user-agent string to pretend to be Chrome - this was literally why the Edge team gave up and decided to adopt Chromium in the first place), there's a lot more evidence pointing towards malicious intent rather than incompetence.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I just assume they added a new profile detecting the Edg user agent, but the default is for those new user agents to be served the old site. And it obviously can't have high priority because Chredge isn't out yet, but they do have to add support for it because it's going to be included with Windows at some time.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I wish I could be as blindly optimistic about companies' intents these days as you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
To add to the comments above, some ex-Mozilla guy tweeted a while back about repeated Google "oopsie daisy" bugs on Google sites in Firefox. His impression was that a few bugs here and there were down to incompetence, but the bulk were down to Google not not Being Evil.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Mozilla, on the other hand, consciously pushes lovely movie advertisement extensions and other "experiments" to their users.

Some ex-mozilla dude with a personal gripe really isn't an autoritative source on anything, especially considering how terrible the Firefox rendering engine (Gecko) is in general.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

Mozilla, on the other hand, consciously pushes lovely movie advertisement extensions and other "experiments" to their users.

How widespread is this? I've been using Firefox for at least ten years and I don't recall ever seeing anything like what you're describing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

hooah posted:

How widespread is this? I've been using Firefox for at least ten years and I don't recall ever seeing anything like what you're describing.

They did it once for Mr. Robot https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/update-looking-glass-add/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I forgot about that. What a completely boneheaded and idiotic move. Aside from the obvious and biggest issue of violating trust from the user for some shady addon, it makes the Mozilla team look like utter rubes to giving away free marketing to a TV show with zero benefit and only harm to them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

I wish I could be as blindly optimistic about companies' intents these days as you.

I'm 100% cynical about Google's intentions these days. But I'm not sure I get what the point of the Google Conspiracy to make youtube worse for chredge would be. If you think google is mad that MS switched to chromium you're crazy. They're overjoyed that yet another default browser is going to be chromium and have a glass-smooth user experience for all google sites.

Think of it this way: Google's strategy with Chrome/chromium is an inversion of MS's IE strategy. The IE strategy was to make the internet broken unless you used IE, so that everyone would be forced to use their browser. 1. Web browser dominance 2. ??? 3. Profit Google doesn't want to make the internet broken, because they actually have something in step 2: serve ads. They want to have the dominant web browser so that they have the inside track on the rest of the internet. They want google's websites (and google's ads) to be better, faster, and more sticky than anyone else's.

In actual Win10 news, I finally had 1809 come up on my pending updates and decided that I didn't want to deal with two version updates in a row, so I pushed directly to 1903.

Biggest downside I've noticed so far: you can pause updates, but not set a separate delay on "feature" updates like you could before. Setting a 45-day delay for feature updates was how I avoided all the lovely broken updates MS has pushed in the 9 months. Hopefully the 1809 disaster was their come-to-jesus moment & they'll be better going forward. :nallears:

I was getting constant autoplay notification spam that claimed one of my HD partitions was a removable drive, and that I should , but I solved that by turning autoplay off entirely.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 29, 2019

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Last Chance posted:

I forgot about that. What a completely boneheaded and idiotic move. Aside from the obvious and biggest issue of violating trust from the user for some shady addon, it makes the Mozilla team look like utter rubes to giving away free marketing to a TV show with zero benefit and only harm to them.
That extension didn't do anything by itself, so I wouldn't call that "giving away marketing". They screwed up how they did it, badly, but the underlying action wasn't a problem.

The Cliqz thing was pretty shady though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Klyith posted:

I'm 100% cynical about Google's intentions these days. But I'm not sure I get what the point of the Google Conspiracy to make youtube worse for chredge would be. If you think google is mad that MS switched to chromium you're crazy. They're overjoyed that yet another default browser is going to be chromium and have a glass-smooth user experience for all google sites.

Think of it this way: Google's strategy with Chrome/chromium is an inversion of MS's IE strategy. The IE strategy was to make the internet broken unless you used IE, so that everyone would be forced to use their browser. 1. Web browser dominance 2. ??? 3. Profit Google doesn't want to make the internet broken, because they actually have something in step 2: serve ads. They want to have the dominant web browser so that they have the inside track on the rest of the internet. They want google's websites (and google's ads) to be better, faster, and more sticky than anyone else's.
I'm sure that was the case once, but in 2019 the only thing crazier than giving Google the benefit of the doubt with respect to blocking chredge is giving Google the benefit of the doubt with respect to having a coherent strategy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

That extension didn't do anything by itself, so I wouldn't call that "giving away marketing". They screwed up how they did it, badly, but the underlying action wasn't a problem.

The Cliqz thing was pretty shady though.

Are you messing with me? They literally installed a browser plugin as part of a marketing campaign for HBO's Mr. Roboto for free. I guess that makes it okay somehow?

quote:

Over the course of the year Firefox has enjoyed a growing relationship with the Mr. Robot television show and, as part of this relationship, we developed an unpaid collaboration to engage our users and viewers of the show in a new way: Fans could use Firefox to solve a puzzle as part of the alternate reality game (ARG) associated with the show.

Can you clarify what "the underlying action" was again here? The thing that was okay? I really wanna know what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Biggest downside I've noticed so far: you can pause updates, but not set a separate delay on "feature" updates like you could before. Setting a 45-day delay for feature updates was how I avoided all the lovely broken updates MS has pushed in the 9 months. Hopefully the 1809 disaster was their come-to-jesus moment & they'll be better going forward. :nallears:

You can still set separate delays for feature and security updates, go to the Advanced options