Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Did they stop putting their employee numbers on business cards? That's how I got on sero years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

angryrobots posted:

Did they stop putting their employee numbers on business cards? That's how I got on sero years ago.

:hfive:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When I got SERO you just needed a valid employee email address on their singup page and I just put john.smith@sprint and it worked and 12 or 13 years later here I am with no one ever having verified anything.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I got in on SERO when good old Russ McGuire (then-director of corporate strategy or something) shared his info for everyone to use.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'd been on SERO since 2007 till switching to swac premium.

I really miss my first Sprint phone, the htc mogul. I hate having half my screen taken up by a soft keyboard.

But now I can drown my tears with the extra $10/month I'm saving while watching Murder She Wrote seasons 1-5.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I got SERO in 06 when all you had to use was the CEO's E-Mail to get in on it. To switch from my crappy Sprint cell phone plan I had at the time since I was both on my Parents account, and already a Sprint customer, I had to leave for a day. So I just activated under Nextel at the time, then swapped back a day later. (Wasn't under contract at that point either which made that easy).

I also got a free phone for the switch. The Samsung Sprint Upstage. Was a neat novelty but no comparison to the PPC6700 (predecessor to the Mogul) I had at the time.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Has anyone on SWAC been able to add a line? I dropped my SERO line like a month before they announced the move to SWAC, but my wife just got rolled over. So of course I know you could never add another line to SERO, but I seem to recall somewhere that it could be done for SWAC. I did some poking around while logged into my wife's account, but didn't find an option on Sprint.com.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rhombus posted:

Has anyone on SWAC been able to add a line? I dropped my SERO line like a month before they announced the move to SWAC, but my wife just got rolled over. So of course I know you could never add another line to SERO, but I seem to recall somewhere that it could be done for SWAC. I did some poking around while logged into my wife's account, but didn't find an option on Sprint.com.

BYOD?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I decided to say F it w/ Sprint. Service was just horrific.

I got the same phone w/ Xfinity and it will be cheaper AND I should be able to get $250 for transferring my Sprint # over. Crazy.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Yeah. Porting in a number and bringing in an unlocked iPhone.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rhombus posted:

Yeah. Porting in a number and bringing in an unlocked iPhone.

If I remember correctly, you should be able to just hit the BYOD link, then add the line from there.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

New Sprint Reward: $3 Coldstone egiftcard

astral
Apr 26, 2004

$2 Amazon GC! Not bad.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Thanks! I always miss these.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

astral posted:

$2 Amazon GC! Not bad.

Awesome, thanks.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Yo, I use a Sprint MVNO (kroger phone) and my used S5 I bought 2-3 years ago is making GBS threads itself regularly. What (used) phone do I want in the same price range now ($75 - $100)? I use the $10 a month plan because I don't really talk to anybody so data doesn't really mean anything to me. It's more for receiving spam calls, making appointments, reading the internet in bed, and watching Twitch (wifi) at the gym - my S5 is just so laggy now it's annoying me.

Let me just reemphasize that I don't use my phone much so if you're gonna tell me everything that doesn't cost at least $700 is just trash you can just not reply (or point me to whatever thread this question is more suited for.) The S5 has been fine, it's just got so stupidly laggy now I wanna throw it at the wall (after I buy a new phone.)

Or can I get a better deal switching to a GSM phone/different MVNO? I can use my Kroger points to pay my bill most of the time so I spend probably $50-60 on my phone plan a year.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

thylacine posted:

Yo, [I’m a cheap motherfucker]

Looks like it’s incremental upgrade time. You can grab a sprint Galaxy S6 on swappa for $95. Anything better or newer is going to be at least $150 and probably closer to $250.

Good news is the S6 is perfectly serviceable once you root it to clear out the bloatware.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

There are also the throwaway Motorola/Nokia phones you can get on Amazon that are unlocked and work on all 4 carriers if you want something New but also cheap.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Also the Moto phones are drat fine phones for the price. And there's like no bloatware. I swear my son's moto5 runs better than my lgg6 even though spec wise I should blow it out of the water.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Sounds good thanks. Why do phones get slower for no apparent reason? I don't install poo poo on it. I don't even think it's updated the system since I got it. Does hard resetting the thing fix it? My I5 34something is like 8 years old and it does not get slower, it seems to be just as fast as the day I got it. Do they program some decay into the chip (I know that's not the case, I just don't get it.)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

May want to try a factory reset before you drop a hundo on a new phone. Especially for what little you use it. You'd be starting over on a new phone anyway.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

thylacine posted:

Sounds good thanks. Why do phones get slower for no apparent reason? I don't install poo poo on it. I don't even think it's updated the system since I got it. Does hard resetting the thing fix it? My I5 34something is like 8 years old and it does not get slower, it seems to be just as fast as the day I got it. Do they program some decay into the chip (I know that's not the case, I just don't get it.)

It's not necessarily that phones get slower but that apps get more demanding. I was using a GS3 for way longer than I should have and Maps starting needing so many resources that there would be graphical glitches and the app would stutter like crazy. As phones become more powerful developers want to add more bells and whistles and unfortunately that means old phones will start feeling slower and slower as these apps are updated, even if you never install anything new. I'm sure the twitch app from 3 years ago is a completely different beast than the twitch app today. You can always factory reset and make sure you only install what you need, when you close an app make sure it's not running in the background, periodically clear your app caches, and maybe even side load older versions of more resource intensive apps (dangerous because you might miss important security updates and you're relying on sketchy APK sites for apps). In the end I would take corgski's advice and do an incremental update.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone else having trouble connecting to Sprint data? I keep getting "Lost mobile connection, switching to roaming".

Which actually leads to a question, does SWAC include data roaming?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Medullah posted:

Anyone else having trouble connecting to Sprint data? I keep getting "Lost mobile connection, switching to roaming".

Which actually leads to a question, does SWAC include data roaming?

This kept happening to me last night between 5:00 and 7:00EST. I probably said this in the thread before but playing Pokemon Go with Sprint is like playing on hard mode. There's gyms in town where if we're raiding I hop on a friend's hotspot as opposed to fighting Sprint to play.

Edit: this kept happening in an area I have great coverage.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RodShaft posted:

This kept happening to me last night between 5:00 and 7:00EST. I probably said this in the thread before but playing Pokemon Go with Sprint is like playing on hard mode. There's gyms in town where if we're raiding I hop on a friend's hotspot as opposed to fighting Sprint to play.

Edit: this kept happening in an area I have great coverage.

Yeah I normally have great, fast coverage at home but nothing right now. It's especially irritating because group text/MMS aren't coming through because I'm only connected to WiFi.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sometimes that happens real late at night for me occasionally which seems to be some sort of maintenance going on or something. Usually it's fine the next day.
Otherwise I've had no issues since switching from SERO to SWAC.

And yes SWAC does have Roaming. Make sure data roaming is turned on and allowed in your cellular data settings.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sometimes that happens real late at night for me occasionally which seems to be some sort of maintenance going on or something. Usually it's fine the next day.
Otherwise I've had no issues since switching from SERO to SWAC.

And yes SWAC does have Roaming. Make sure data roaming is turned on and allowed in your cellular data settings.

Yeah I had it turned off intentionally since I didn't know for sure. Thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm a former SERO user who jumped ship to Google Fi and I'm looking to ditch Fi. Since the OP is out of date, what's the current rundown of plans available to someone in my situation? Asking as this was in today's Brad's Deals email:

Unlimited Kickstart Plan: $25/month

I'm guessing that by 'basic data' it means no hotspot and no free Hulu - is that correct?

EDIT: Also, my parents are on Sprint, could they switch to this?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm a former SERO user who jumped ship to Google Fi and I'm looking to ditch Fi. Since the OP is out of date, what's the current rundown of plans available to someone in my situation? Asking as this was in today's Brad's Deals email:

Unlimited Kickstart Plan: $25/month

I'm guessing that by 'basic data' it means no hotspot and no free Hulu - is that correct?

EDIT: Also, my parents are on Sprint, could they switch to this?

there's a lot of *'s on this plan, it's not good see here

quote:

Video streams up to 480p, music up to 500 Kbps, gaming up to 2 Mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. With AutoPay. Reqs new line and BYOD or Full SRP phones. $100: Avail. on select phones. Card ships after 60 days in good standing. Reqs online registration. Other mo. charges apply.**
best bet is to still try to opt for a sprint advantage plus plan if you're able to. currently on that here right now, my fiancee is back in Japan using this plan + $5 per month Japanese Talk and Text.

on another note, picked up the HTC 5G hub yesterday. so far I'm loving how stupid fast it is, and how much of an upgrade it is over my ADSL connection from AT&T. but right now I'm trying to find some way to pay for more than 100GB of data per month that doesn't involve paying $2 per gig.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
So I am still on SERO premium ($50/mon). My HTC 10 battery has had it and I need to upgrade (LOVE this phone but it doesn't hold a charge anymore). I've been holding off for the LG V50, which is finally available. (since HTC has apparently stopped making anything)

Whats the current situation? I keep hearing about SWAC, but I'm not sure what that is, or if its relevant.
Can I stay on my SERO (when i add it to my cart, the site says I'll need to upgrade the plan when I activate the phone), or do I HAVE to change my plan?
Can I order through the site or do I need to call? Is the # in the OP still the goto for SERO?

thanks!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

CombatCupcake posted:

So I am still on SERO premium ($50/mon).

Whats the current situation? I keep hearing about SWAC, but I'm not sure what that is, or if its relevant.
Can I stay on my SERO (when i add it to my cart, the site says I'll need to upgrade the plan when I activate the phone), or do I HAVE to change my plan?
Can I order through the site or do I need to call? Is the # in the OP still the goto for SERO?

I was on the $50 Sero premium plan until I switched to the swac premium plan in April.

I was hesitant to switch over because I thought there might be prioritization that I'd be missing out on by leaving the Sero plan. I have been on swac for 3 months using tons of data and I'm not seeing deprioritization.

I pay $40 a month now and included with that is a free Amazon Prime account, a free premium membership to Tidal and I get a 100 GB of hotspotting included with that.

I had to dial * 2 and get a hold of Sprint that way to get the process started. There were some posts about a page or two back about the process.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Anybody use Tello? They are a Sprint MVNO I saw advertised on Facebook - seems like a good deal, like 12-13 bucks for 2-4gb of data and unlimited everything else and I can use my CDMA phone. Although $40 a month through sprint with Amazon prime and stuff sounds nice.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

moolchaba posted:

I was on the $50 Sero premium plan until I switched to the swac premium plan in April.

I was hesitant to switch over because I thought there might be prioritization that I'd be missing out on by leaving the Sero plan. I have been on swac for 3 months using tons of data and I'm not seeing deprioritization.

I pay $40 a month now and included with that is a free Amazon Prime account, a free premium membership to Tidal and I get a 100 GB of hotspotting included with that.

I had to dial * 2 and get a hold of Sprint that way to get the process started. There were some posts about a page or two back about the process.

+1 on this. There was link on SlickDeals covering the swap to a form you had to just fill out with your name and number and they did the swap literally the next day with the final change over starting on your next billing cycle.

I was hesitant as well but so far it's been SERO + more for me so far. No slowdown and a bunch of extra perks like mentioned above. Tidal isn't bad, covering my Amazon Prime membership is nice, not having to Root for Hotspot is great, and overall paying less than SERO before.

Will it last post T-Mobile merger, who knows, but for now, its a nice step up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

+1 for SWAC being awesome so far. I've even used the Uber credits since I opted for the $50 plan.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Does the Uber credit only count for the ride service or can you usr it on Uber Eats?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I don't believe you can switch to the old $50 plan with the uber credits any longer.

It only was supposed to work on rides though.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
Switched from SERO to SWAC via online form just now. Crossing my fingers that it all goes smoothly and the service is reliable.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
Received an email from seroescalations this afternoon:

"Your Sprint Wireless Advantage Club Migration account conversion has been processed on 07/25/2019 . I have configured the Phone Number(s) xxx-###-xxxx with the Advantage Unlimited Plus plan ($30 with autopay, $35 without autopay per smart and/or basic phone plan) effective 08/04/2019 which is the billing cycle."

Quick and easy.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
:rip: Sprint: U.S. Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger, a Deal That Would Reshape the Industry. The deal was approved with the conceit that Dish will start a new national wireless network to compete with the now-Big 3. Dish is getting Sprint's prepaid customers and band 26 (800 MHz), 20k cell sites, and a 7-year roaming agreement with T-Mobile. T-Mobile in-turn gets to keep the rest of Sprint's spectrum/cell sites/customers and has also agreed to lease some of Dish's band 71 (600 MHz) spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Wow. A lot there. Sprint's 800 MHz spectrum is very prime. They also have a ton of prepaid customers. That's a good jump start on a carrier.

Obviously still far smaller than Sprint though.

Probably bad for the industry as a whole, but maybe good for Sprint customers?