Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

RC Cola posted:

I love that he went from a thug who was going to murder JoJo on the street to his best friend.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love the line in Part 1 where Johnathan is fighting Bruford and it's like "I learned about these guys in history class and here they are now trying to kill me!"

I think that's right around the time when Speedwagon defrost someone's arm with his abs.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think that's right around the time when Speedwagon defrost someone's arm with his abs.

The best moment yet.

Ah good ole Dio. Chopping off your head to live. gently caress you die already!

Isn't there a thing where Dio comes back in part 4 or something?

Something about pillar men next part? It's all very hazy.

Also rip Dire :( too huge for this world

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dio comes back for a bit, don't worry. part 1 is genuinely the least loving crazy part.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Yeah part 2 starts off with a bang and keeps climbing until it breaks the atmosphere

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I found out who Doppio was really talking to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUMChdX5fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL39EUuS3QM

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zyla posted:

keep posting reactions

part 1 is probably the slowest and most normal part of the whole series :allears:

I always find it funny that people say this when part 1 has a scene where a disembodied vampire head shoots laser blood out of its eyes

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's jets of intensely pressurized eye fluid

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Expect My Mom posted:

it's jets of intensely pressurized eye fluid

to be fair that is in no way any less bullshit than any kind of eye lasers in other superhero comics

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's a frickin laser beam

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Those jet ripper stingy eyes exist in real life, some desert lizard. Anime is real.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mans posted:

Jojo part 5 has as a lot of kinky gay couples and i love it

i forgot about it, but i kinda wish gay couples weren't always villains in anime

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'm probably thinking too hard about this, and there's nothing wrong with whatever kink secco and cioccolatta like, it's just you know mass murderer and all, thats mostly the bit that kinda bothers me

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 28, 2019

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

how does secco get crystal clear 2001 cell service underground

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Okay. Part 1 over. That was certainly a thing. Onto part 2!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kuvo posted:

how does secco get crystal clear 2001 cell service underground

That’s the 2nd power of his stand.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He obviously doesn't since he missed two calls.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

i'm probably thinking too hard about this, and there's nothing wrong with whatever kink secco and cioccolatta like, it's just you know mass murderer and all, thats mostly the bit that kinda bothers me

Giorno/Mista and Bruno/Abbacchio are right there

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kurtofan posted:

yeah it sucks that japan has a lot of weird cultural baggage about homosexuality and that distills into a lack of overt and explicit positive representation in their media but on the silver lining to that cloud is that this marvelous cornucopia of barely sublimated homoeroticism that is jojos bizarre adventure is perhaps a direct consequence of that kind of repression

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RC Cola posted:

Okay. Part 1 over. That was certainly a thing. Onto part 2!

It only gets better. Part 1 is good but Part 2 is wonderful.

I was going to say great but that one's reserved for Part 4.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mr. Lobe posted:

yeah it sucks that japan has a lot of weird cultural baggage about homosexuality and that distills into a lack of overt and explicit positive representation in their media but on the silver lining to that cloud is that this marvelous cornucopia of barely sublimated homoeroticism that is jojos bizarre adventure is perhaps a direct consequence of that kind of repression

oh yeah don't get me wrong, i sure love how gay the show is in general

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think it's totally fine in a series as gay as JoJo to have gay bad guys. There are tons and tons of positive male relationships, some more overt than others. Things like Jonathan and Speedwagon, Joseph and Caesar, Josuke and Okuyasu are able to considered mlm for me, regardless of them saying I Love You to each other. Hell, Part 1 is a twisted tale of years of romance and desire between two men. So it's okay for there to be gay weirdo bad guys when you also have Bruno and Abbachio staring at each other in the rain that was purely added for the anime.

being pure isn't fun at all, let the gay couples murder too i say.

hell, the bad guy of the last part was A Straight Guy

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Is 4 the one with Jotaro(is that part 3 JoJo?) hanging out with his Japanese brother or something? I have a very very loose memory of the series

E: for sure JoJo and Dio were struggling with their feelings for each other. But also I think every make in part 1 was into JoJo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I think it's totally fine in a series as gay as JoJo to have gay bad guys. There are tons and tons of positive male relationships, some more overt than others. Things like Jonathan and Speedwagon, Joseph and Caesar, Josuke and Okuyasu are able to considered mlm for me, regardless of them saying I Love You to each other. Hell, Part 1 is a twisted tale of years of romance and desire between two men. So it's okay for there to be gay weirdo bad guys when you also have Bruno and Abbachio staring at each other in the rain that was purely added for the anime.

The bad guy of this part, as mentioned earlier, is also a straight guy who tried so hard to hide that fact that he ended up in a relationship with himself.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah Part 4 featured Josuke, Jotaro's uncle, who was ten years older than him.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah Part 4 featured Josuke, Jotaro's uncle, who was ten years older than him.

I remember Jotaro is the tough guy kid delinquent. His dad is a jokester. I don't remember much about Josuke. I think part 4 has ghosts maybe? gently caress my memory is bad.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
nah you pretty much got it!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

josuke is a nice and friendly guy who has a temper and is also capable of being a scoundrel when it comes to money, harder to distill into a tidy archetype than his forebears

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm not saying it is bad to have gay villains, but it does kinda suck that for the protagonists the gay poo poo has to be subtextual (even if that subtext is often bold, underlined, and 48 pt.) rather than overt like with the assassin couples

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It's weird with JoJo because I feel like the villains getting involved with Gay poo poo makes them more fully realized and interesting just because of the context and story they're in. Like with Dio, he isn't weirdly sexual with Jonathan and only starts to feel some kind of way about him after they both go through all this poo poo fighting each other. After every terrible and awful thing that he has ever done to Jonathan up to that point, Dio showing up at his most vulnerable, explaining what he's going to do, and being really sincere about why he wants to do this, is way more interesting than how most other people write Gay Villains. That he is not only the most sincere that he's ever been, which is something that Dio normally never is, but that Jonathan accepts those feelings with grace, even though Dio's interpretation of those feelings are pretty hosed up, that's just really good writing.

I think it helps too that even with the bit part villains, being gay isn't why they died, and with Sorbet and Gelato you still feel bad that they were murdered like that. The anime makes it really loving tragic especially. We barely knew them and now we're at their funeral. And with Cioccolatta and Secco, being weird kinksters are their only vaguely normal traits. It's a weird quirk. That's not the part about Ciolatta that makes him creepy and bad. It isn't woke by any means, but it's still better writing even for characters who aren't the main bad guys.

In conclusion, JoJo's is a land of contrasts.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How the gently caress did giornos va do that mudamuda and wryyyyy

That sounded like a long take and jesus

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

super vague super mild spoilers about gay couples in jojo's:
Araki did try to have a gay couple as protagonists but got over-ruled :negative:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

It's actually pretty wild because apparently they have a really good, loving relationship with each other. They're both just horrific monsters.

Find u a man who will let u yosh him and u'll know true bliss

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

comedyblissoption posted:

Araki did try to have a gay couple as protagonists but got over-ruled :negative:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about about Annasui originally being a girl, who knew if they would've had the same personality

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about

it's also a big Araki Says with no actual source afaik

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Grapplejack posted:

It's actually pretty wild because apparently they have a really good, loving relationship with each other. They're both just horrific monsters.

Find u a man who will let u yosh him and u'll know true bliss

Yeah they're so cute together when you forget that they're super evil :3:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

comedyblissoption posted:

Was there ever any evidence he got overruled on Annasui? I think it's just a fan rumor.

It's entirely possible he didn't know what to do with him when he first drew him lounging on a piano and not doing or saying anything

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Jolyne never shows interest in Anasui.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Golden Kamuy is similar, except less aestheticized and more consciously testing out what a seinen manga can get away with in such a social climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My Brother's Husband ran in a seinen mag, there's probably less 'cultural resistance' to gay stuff in manga than there is western comics just due to the amount produced and manga being more than just mostly superheroes plus some indies.