Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Also worth noting is that if you're comparing to the current iteration of the Hyperloop idea, lanes are layered transport.

e: poo poo the overpass photo made this point better. how about putting a train up where there's no holes to dig

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1132657437444415488

Loving the "well astronomers can just edit this vanity project out of photos, what's the problem here exactly? :smuggo:" take in the replies

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ReidRansom posted:

As a geoscientist, no. No, you can't have hundreds of layers of tunnels. That's a terrible idea.. It's not even worth thinking about in depth (pun!)

lol if your city isn't standing on rock that's 90% swiss cheese by volume

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ruffian Price posted:

Also worth noting is that if you're comparing to the current iteration of the Hyperloop idea, lanes are layered transport.

e: poo poo the overpass photo made this point better. how about putting a train up where there's no holes to dig

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1132657437444415488

Loving the "well astronomers can just edit this vanity project out of photos, what's the problem here exactly? :smuggo:" take in the replies

Target Practice you say?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/yiqinfu/status/1133215940936650754?s=21
Surely there's no way this could go wrong!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Doug Ellison has protected his account. Bets that he was dogpiled by Musk fanboys?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Doug Ellison has protected his account. Bets that he was dogpiled by Musk fanboys?

It's not even a question.

Musk fanboys on Twitter swarm people who try to have an honest discussion about basically anything Tesla or SpaceX does.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

suck my woke dick posted:

lol if your city isn't standing on rock that's 90% swiss cheese by volume

Isn't that basically Minneapolis/St Paul? (They have exceptionally nice tunneling rock, though.)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Musk is a loving scam artist

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The American Airlines "get a luggage tag and boarding pass" kiosks have shittastic UI.

The UI is awful. Just looking around I would estimate 80-90% of passengers were lost. I managed to get thru their crappy menus and then the kiosk wouldn't read the mag stripe on my credit cards, which are chipped but alas no chip reader on these devices.

They have to have staffers to help people.

Why not just have people go to the counter and check bags in that way?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

The American Airlines "get a luggage tag and boarding pass" kiosks have shittastic UI.

The UI is awful. Just looking around I would estimate 80-90% of passengers were lost. I managed to get thru their crappy menus and then the kiosk wouldn't read the mag stripe on my credit cards, which are chipped but alas no chip reader on these devices.

Because salespeople and clueless MBAs claimed the things would work better than they actually do?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Admittedly not hard when most of those machines work just fine; it doesn't seem that naïve to assume that the ones your company is buying will be about as good as the rest. Of course, this does make you wonder how their tender process worked - best dinners? Nearest family member? Closest contract with existing supplier?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
As a rule, the more upmarket the sales process is, the less that the actual thing being sold is involved in the process. Probably 95% of the sales cycle involved PowerPoints that focused exclusively on how much money could be saved by eliminating jobs. That the actual kiosks work properly is a secondary concern.

Check out the website of an "enterprise" software product sometime - chances are you won't even see a screenshot of the actual product anywhere.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh I know, it's 100% scalable enterprise solutions to your business needs. If you're incredibly lucky you may be able to find a list of which buzzwords are different between Enterprise and Professional - clearly based on check boxes needed for a single expensive contract once - and they never mention anything as vulgar as pricing.

Half my job is in research support in a national healthcare region in Norway, and most of my work there is with our sample tracking system for research use. It's simultaneously the best of the lot (at least back when we bought it) and kind of a trash fire from a developer perspective.

As a sample, most frontend work is done by writing new functions in their custom BASIC dialect, mostly in a non-OO style with loads of globals. Oh, and the code is stored in the DB in a way that makes it basically impossible to do proper version control. We add manual "Last edited by: " - header comments. There is no automated testing. Each function has an all-uppercase name with a 15-char max length. They all live in a single long alphabetically sorted list.

On the positive side, it does provide stakeholders with many reporting options, and has multi-level Levey- Jennings plotting capability with configurable Westgard rules.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 29, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

dex_sda posted:

Musk is a loving scam artist

Tesla and SpaceX would both be vastly organizationally improved if Musk drowned in his bathtub.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

VideoGameVet posted:

Really? Type in confirmation code, input number of checked bags, print boarding pass, print luggage tags. This is not a particularly complicated process, and is much faster than waiting in line for a person to do it for you.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

NoDamage posted:

Really? Type in confirmation code, input number of checked bags, print boarding pass, print luggage tags. This is not a particularly complicated process, and is much faster than waiting in line for a person to do it for you.

+1 to this. Self-checkin kiosks are incredibly common in Europe. They've always worked well in my experience. Its always much, much faster than queing to deal with a desk agent.

For most of them you don't even need to type in a confirmation code. If you've already saved your passport details with the airline you can just scan it, and it'll spit out your boarding pass within a few seconds.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Liquid Communism posted:

Tesla and SpaceX would both be vastly organizationally improved if Musk drowned in his bathtub.

Yeah, but who is going to break the Imperial conditioning on Grimes?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

NoDamage posted:

For me, it was cake, until the mag-stripe readers failed to read my CHIP'ed credit cards and there was no alternative way to pay the $30 fee for my wife's bag. No chip reader, no Apple pay, no PayPal etc.

I also think the screens after screens of "upsell" attempts are time sinks and annoying.

But I am not exaggerating at all when I say almost every person required staff assistance to complete the process.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Blut posted:

+1 to this. Self-checkin kiosks are incredibly common in Europe. They've always worked well in my experience. Its always much, much faster than queing to deal with a desk agent.

For most of them you don't even need to type in a confirmation code. If you've already saved your passport details with the airline you can just scan it, and it'll spit out your boarding pass within a few seconds.

Southwest Airlines one is great. American Airlines one? Not so great.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1132018613790154752

Facebook policy is interpreted by the ref from Air Bud.

Shouldn't they be getting ready for deepfakes? Is every video online just going to be fake in 5-10 years?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fragmented posted:

Shouldn't they be getting ready for deepfakes? Is every video online just going to be fake in 5-10 years?

If I had the money to create a startup, "deepfake prevention/detection" would be what I would invest in. Probably via creation of some invisible watermark you add to videos that would be scrambled by alteration. Apparently they are already toying with the idea of doing this on the camera side:

https://www.wired.com/story/detect-deepfakes-camera-watermark/

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

AceOfFlames posted:

If I had the money to create a startup, "deepfake prevention/detection" would be what I would invest in. Probably via creation of some invisible watermark you add to videos that would be scrambled by alteration. Apparently they are already toying with the idea of doing this on the camera side:

https://www.wired.com/story/detect-deepfakes-camera-watermark/

I'm bookmarking this. I just got a job offer as a QA tester for a company that has a system to detect fraudulent activity, from bank transactions to social media posts. I'm really interested to see what they have done.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 31, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So Uber's down a billion dollars in Q1.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/tech/uber-earnings/index.html

Disrupting the bankruptcy industry!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1132018613790154752

Facebook policy is interpreted by the ref from Air Bud.

When did Facebook hire Jon Kyl

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
It looks like California might deal a blow (hopefully fatal) to the gig economy:

quote:

The California bill, known as AB5, expands a groundbreaking California Supreme Court decision last month known as Dynamex. The ruling and the bill instruct businesses to use the so-called “ABC test” to figure out whether a worker is an employee. To hire an independent contractor, businesses must prove that the worker (a) is free from the company’s control, (b) is doing work that isn’t central to the company’s business, and (c) has an independent business in that industry. If they don’t meet all three of those conditions, then they have to be classified as employees.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fragmented posted:

Every photo has been a photoshop for like 30 years, you can point to ways here and there that caused trouble but it's never been an issue so bad it's caused the downfall of society or needs to be illegal or regulated or tightly controlled or anything.

Banning parody political videos from social media seems like a good idea until it gets someone you like banned making a video mocking someone you feel deserves it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

MickeyFinn posted:

It looks like California might deal a blow (hopefully fatal) to the gig economy:

Killing the gig economy would be great because that mentality (and the silicon-valley scammy pump-and-dump company mentality) is leeching into America at-large, imo. Anecdotes not being evidence, I have worked at two completely different companies now over the last 2 1/2 years, and both have their managers causally mention layoffs as a method of short-term profitability without any regard to the long-term impact on the company. Even people who don’t have much equity in it are acting like lovely start-up CEOs that are only interested in painting up a pretty picture so they can sell it off to someone else.

The Silicon Valley way needs to die, soon.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Ripoff posted:

Killing the gig economy would be great because that mentality (and the silicon-valley scammy pump-and-dump company mentality) is leeching into America at-large, imo. Anecdotes not being evidence, I have worked at two completely different companies now over the last 2 1/2 years, and both have their managers causally mention layoffs as a method of short-term profitability without any regard to the long-term impact on the company. Even people who don’t have much equity in it are acting like lovely start-up CEOs that are only interested in painting up a pretty picture so they can sell it off to someone else.

The Silicon Valley way needs to die, soon.

I had a interviewer (at an old, established nonprofit, mind you) once tell me “we have what I like to call a ‘Startup Culture’ here,” and it took a lot for me not to say “that is a bad thing.” Same person mentioned they modeled their department’s values off of Amazon’s, I poo poo you not. I think they just wanted to work for Amazon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mineaiki posted:

I had a interviewer (at an old, established nonprofit, mind you) once tell me “we have what I like to call a ‘Startup Culture’ here,” and it took a lot for me not to say “that is a bad thing.” Same person mentioned they modeled their department’s values off of Amazon’s, I poo poo you not. I think they just wanted to work for Amazon.

They go to the same colleges and have the same attitudes. They just happen to find themselves in "social entrepreneurship".

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They go to the same colleges and have the same attitudes. They just happen to find themselves in "social entrepreneurship".

Ugh yes I have run into this a lot in development. I suppose it’s to be expected, because it’s a profession of bullshitters by nature.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If it makes your feel better, at an old established place (and especially at a nonprofit old established place) they don't actually have any faddish culture there. They have the same culture there that they've had for the last decade plus, whatever it is. It's sort of an aspirational thing that doesn't usually affect much beyond what they say to new hires and maybe a few one-off events.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MickeyFinn posted:

quote:

The California bill, known as AB5, expands a groundbreaking California Supreme Court decision last month known as Dynamex. The ruling and the bill instruct businesses to use the so-called “ABC test” to figure out whether a worker is an employee. To hire an independent contractor, businesses must prove that the worker (a) is free from the company’s control, (b) is doing work that isn’t central to the company’s business, and (c) has an independent business in that industry. If they don’t meet all three of those conditions, then they have to be classified as employees.

Huh. In the computer industry, it's been customary for years (since the Microsoft decision IIRC) to refuse to hire truly independent contractors, and only to hire through agencies, making it much easier to say "Person X is not an employee". I don't see them going back to hiring people with independent businesses. Speaking of which, there's starting to be a backlash against companies that mostly hire contractors instead of employees: Google is the most recent scandal.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm really excited at the possibility of the contractor loophole being closed.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. In the computer industry, it's been customary for years (since the Microsoft decision IIRC) to refuse to hire truly independent contractors, and only to hire through agencies, making it much easier to say "Person X is not an employee". I don't see them going back to hiring people with independent businesses. Speaking of which, there's starting to be a backlash against companies that mostly hire contractors instead of employees: Google is the most recent scandal.

I'm not familiar enough with either labor law or how agencies work, but the article says "independent contractor," so I'd guess that the agencies are fine. Software companies bringing in agency people to write software and who are given daily instructions on what to write would clearly violate the A and B parts of the test though, so it'd be pretty cool to see that ship sail, too.

skooma512 posted:

I'm really excited at the possibility of the contractor loophole being closed.

And how!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

A step in the right direction, building on something I actually know a little bit about.

Here goes: Most bread delivery in America is done by "independent operators" (IOs). You own the truck and the distribution rights, the company owns the brand, runs the factories and warehouses. Some of these bread companies (looking at you, Flowers Baking Co.) really skirt the law in how they treat their "operators". Every successful lawsuit/settlement I've heard of has come out of a Californian court. What usually happens afterwards is a push to roll back any kind of company support to their IOs. CYA and malicious compliance is the name of the game.

Ex: Bread comes in nylon trays that sit on dollies made specifically for each company's trays (Flowers and Pepperidge use the same wheels in different colors). A few Flowers IOs in CA sued over previous employee misclassification laws, arguing that the dollies (owned by the company) are necessary to the job. Once they settled out of court, each bread company made each IO across the country buy their own wheels while re-writing their contracts to make using company dollies outside of their warehouses an incurable breach of contract. Now no manager in their right mind will uphold that outside of blatant theft, but that ain't the point.

I feel without a concerted effort on the part of "contractors" and their lawyers to (1) go to trial and (2) follow up with what these companies do to resolve the situation, we will see more of the above. It's a huge game of, "I'm not touching you!", in regard to holding corporations to the spirit of the contracts they themselves write up. They will otherwise just weasel out of it and push the costs downward.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Blut posted:

Last time I was returning to the US from Heathrow the machine refused to scan my passport. :shrug:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Presto posted:

Last time I was returning to the US from Heathrow the machine refused to scan my passport. :shrug:

I have Global Entry. My problem is getting 4 of my fingers to fit on the scanner.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1134611776438325248?s=21

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

I read that as "Elon Musk one step closer to getting his face scratched to pieces by genetically engineered catgirls". So it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1135169460669702144

You can only play it while the car is in park. So at least you can breathe easy with the knowledge that you're not actively being decapitated by the car's autopilot.