Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Willo567 posted:

Why is Mario Maker 2 being random only the breaking point for people when it comes to Nintendo's online?

I'm not saying it's unjustifiable, but Nintendo's online has been pretty lovely for a long time

I had a lot of these same complaints when Super Mario Party, the first big first party game Nintendo put out after the launch of Switch Online, wouldn't actually let you play Mario Party with your friends online. It's a stupid situation because I'd like to spend money on Switch Online but they keep dissuading me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Policenaut posted:

Hey Nintendo if I pay $60 like the other big boy subs can you start making all your multiplayer games work the same and let me play the full experience (Super Mario Party) online with my friends (Mario Maker 2) thanks

How about they raise the price to $60 and in exchange they'll add Urban Champion to NESflix.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What are the chances that if they add SNES games to switch online that the price jumps up to 30-40 dollars?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
very low

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cojawfee posted:

What are the chances that if they add SNES games to switch online that the price jumps up to 30-40 dollars?

It'll be $90 but they'll add the entire Virtual Boy catalog.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ciaphas posted:

"Value" is subjective and non-constant between parties such as publishers and customers

Sure yes but this

KingSlime posted:

In 2018 alone I've gotten:

-Bloodborne 2015
-Hitman 1 2016
-Yakuza Zero 2015
-Rayman Legends wii u exclusive
-Xcom 2 2016
-Heavy Rain 2010
-Destiny 2 2017
-iconoclasts 2018

Doesn't disprove this

bushisms.txt posted:

The games given out have been cynically mathed to be given when they present no extra value from the publisher.
So at least one side of the transaction doesn't see them as value.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
to both the price increase, and the snes thing happening

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bushisms.txt posted:

Sure yes but this

Doesn't disprove this

who loving cares what those rich guillotine-needing fucks see as valuable, it's not like we affect their decision making in any way down here

why are you assigning value based on their assignment

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

bushisms.txt posted:

Sure yes but this

Doesn't disprove this

Wait what companies only do things to earn a profit and literally nothing else? I for one am glad you're here to point that out to us!

I'm canceling my ps plus sub this instant. loving capitalist pigs. Once that's done, where else can I go to access all those titles for $50?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

who loving cares what those rich guillotine-needing fucks see as valuable, it's not like we affect their decision making in any way down here

why are you assigning value based on their assignment
Because they're old rear end games everyone has already assessed via sales, twitch, whatever, sometimes a year before they decide to give it to ps+ users. Which is the entire point. That's cool if you see value in it, but that doesn't make it intrinsically worth anything as a supplement to someone forced to pay to play online.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you pay the $20 per year ($10 if you buy MM2) then you have decided it's worth the money

This is the worst conversation in any thread (challenge made)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I mean yeah its a bad deal if you want online only and don't see yourself enjoying any of the free games because you already played them all as they came out (how the gently caress even, I've been on the same three games for half a year...)

I'd rather pay $50 and get a ton of games vs pay $20 to access a feature that is free on PC. But yeah the free games are clearly an upsell on a regular ol online sub

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

KingSlime posted:

I'm canceling my ps plus sub this instant. loving capitalist pigs.
It's funny the one time you write something I can't really argue with, and you don't even mean it.

The Bloop posted:

If you pay the $20 per year ($10 if you buy MM2) then you have decided it's worth the money

A lot of us didn't pay for nso.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's a bad deal even for free because the online services suck poo poo. imHo.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Aww you left the best part out!

KingSlime posted:

Once that's done, where else can I go to access all those [prehistoric 2014-2017] titles for $50?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

This is the worst conversation in any thread (challenge made)

Challenge accepted.

If you pay for NSO, you should get a cheat code that removes weapon durability in BotW and adds an easy mode to Cuphead.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
welp guess im skipping mario maker. was a day 1 buy but if i can't even fart around in goon levels with goons then gently caress it

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Afro posted:

welp guess im skipping mario maker. was a day 1 buy but if i can't even fart around in goon levels with goons then gently caress it

You can still put in the level codes and play the levels.

It sucks and is stupid, sure, but I don't see why it's such a deal breaker for people. Hopefully it will be added down the line.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I can't wait to get home and play resident evil 4 on my nintendo switch in docked mode. Perhaps with a gamecube controller.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody who's not buying the game over this should tell Nintendo. I could see them changing their stance if folks are loud enough.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Aww you left the best part out!

I'd already have access to all the games I'd want from that period of time without ps+, since ps+ gives them out way past their expiration date. I have destiny 2 for free on pc and still don't play it. I've got rayman legends definitive edition on the Wii u. Xcom2 is a fraction of the game it is on pc. I wonder how many people played iconclasts thinking it was indivisible. They've given away like 3 different versions of hitman 1 already. If you needed those games, you'd have been fine and not paid to play on unprotected p2p servers.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lapis X Labyrinth is some sort of high grade meth.

It’s so addicting and I’m barely in control.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

You can still put in the level codes and play the levels.

It sucks and is stupid, sure, but I don't see why it's such a deal breaker for people. Hopefully it will be added down the line.

it's a deal breaker because people are feeling duped. the direct very carefully avoided saying outright 'you gotta do online multiplayer with randos' so people had about a week of very reasonably assuming that they'd be able to play MM2 with their buddies

if they had been clear about it right away people would still be disappointed and would want it changed but i don't think there'd be as much hostility and frustration as we're seeing

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Beastie posted:

Lapis X Labyrinth is some sort of high grade meth.

It’s so addicting and I’m barely in control.
Same. This is insane. It's like playing a video slot machine that is continually hitting jackpots.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

I'm glad to have learned more about your chronology as a gamer but this didn't answer my question! Like everything you're saying is super specific to you which is fine. I didn't have a single game on that list so objectively speaking $50 was an amazing value. Right now right this second where can I get the same value for the cost of a single game?

Even counting discounted prices on old games you're still getting access to over $1k of downloads for $50 within the same 12 months, and anytime after that provided you remain subbed! I've had plus for 4 years and have huuuge collection of games available at all times. Some great, some ok, and yep a solid chunk of them pretty mediocre! Out of the games I listed that's maybe 1/16th of my entire plus library

It's good

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 29, 2019

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fallom posted:

It's a bad deal even for free because the online services suck poo poo. imHo.

Yea it's less the "having to pay a small amount" and more that for years Nintendo's online sucked but the tradeoff was "well it's free so what do you expect", and now they're charging so people thought they might actually treat it like something people would pay for, and nope it's the exact same.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/SmugPorky/status/1133466861251833856

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

$1k of downloads for $50
Lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol I think that's ad copy out of an issue of Skymall

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I completely agree, trying to quantify the value of plus by using the msrp of each digital download is dumb but that's where the convo was when I jumped in :shrug:

Using that metric, these super old games are worth way more than $50

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Is the lack of ease or complete lack of playing with friends a Japanese cultural thing or something? Maybe Japanese people don't like to play with their friends and Nintendo is just like, oh yea no one does.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If anime is correct Japanese people don't even have couches to co-op on anyway

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I got Rocket League for free at launch from PS+ and it felt like hitting the jack pot. It's a game that had it not been free at launch for PS Plus users I'm willing to say may not have exploded like it did. It looked dumb as hell and me and my friends only downloaded it cause it was free so why not.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shammypants posted:

Is the lack of ease or complete lack of playing with friends a Japanese cultural thing or something? Maybe Japanese people don't like to play with their friends and Nintendo is just like, oh yea no one does.

I once read that local multiplayer is much more common there than in most of the rest of the world; dunno how true that is, but the idea does lend these sorts of decisions a kind of sense

Or at least enough "sense" that I can shrug-and-whatever it, whichever

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Shammypants posted:

I'm probably gonna get a ton of poo poo for this, but you do know that there's local couch co-op, right?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Willo567 posted:

I'm probably gonna get a ton of poo poo for this, but you do know that there's local couch co-op, right?

Yea I would call that difficulty of use. I don't want anyone over my house ever. EVER.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Shammypants posted:

Ironically, Japan's internet is light years ahead of America's. And they do play with friends, they mostly play lan and local though, so this doesn't really affect them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shammypants posted:

It's more that in America if you're out of high-school or college you no longer live within couch Co op distance of your friends and if you make new friends as an adult (Lmao) you probably still aren't within convenient couch co-op distance even if you work together.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I think the situation with MM2 annoys me so much because of the fact that people are making such a big deal out of this, compared to every other time online on a Nintendo system has been mediocre.

Meanwhile, you have poo poo like this going on the PS4, and Sony making bullshit excuses such as " "We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base."

https://wccftech.com/wargroove-dev-sony-denied-crossplay/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-13-sony-defends-decision-to-block-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think everyone agrees Sonys anti-crossplay stuff sucks a lot. That doesn't give Nintendo a pass for not having basic online services figured out in the year 2019.