Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'd never seen Deadwood (bar walking in on my brother watching it when Swearingen was trying to pass his kidney stones and going :yikes:) and just finished the last episode, and fuckin' wow.

I was honestly upset when I realized I'd finished the last episode, so I can only imagine what ya'll watching it when it aired felt.

Johnny, Dan and Silas had to be my favorite characters, even though they were second tier guys. But they just had so many good moments, together and solo. Also, the Dan/General fight, like others in this thread said gave me the willies :ohdear:. Though it was probably the best depiction of a fight between two kinda overweight guys that are sorta out of shape, getting winded in the first minute and just grappling at each other.

The other thing I though was so amazing was how well-rounded the characters were, and how they all had little idiosyncrasies, like that part where Swearingen didn't go to William's funeral, but snuck out to watch on the balcony, then did that quick 'dip in/dip back out' move when he saw his guys coming back. I also liked how different characters would team up depending on circumstances, like after William was trampled, and the various characters were standing watch/getting information. Of course, everyone was kinda teaming up when Alma was fired at/Ellsworth was killed, but I liked the various interactions (though I didn't like how Alma/Ellsworth's relationship ended up. He was such a sweetheart, I kept hoping they'd actually end up happy together)

I even finally liked EB when he started souring on Hearst and had his face turn, 'My goodness! Bare-breasted, my word! Who has commissioned such behavior?! Who summons you with such power to do his will?!'

I could keep going, but I've already :words: enough. I do have a question though, did Milch ever put out a description/outline of what his plans for season 4 were going to be? Because S3 was a Hell of a place to abruptly stop. I'm also guessing he had bigger plans for the theater troupe over Langrishe spying/informing.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We can only assume it ended with the big fire.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Just made it to this scene in my re-watch. I didn't remember it, but I love the whole scene. Especially Tom Nuttall's "Oh, he just 12 pointed Slippery Dan!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOL7jDAs4Po

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is that the one with Damien Lewis, and that godawful Prince of Persia episode?

The very same! Mostly it's entertaining nonesense but they definitely leaned a little too heavy into the nonsense when it comes to anything close to technology.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

LadyPictureShow posted:

I could keep going, but I've already :words: enough. I do have a question though, did Milch ever put out a description/outline of what his plans for season 4 were going to be? Because S3 was a Hell of a place to abruptly stop. I'm also guessing he had bigger plans for the theater troupe over Langrishe spying/informing.

I don't think we know that much about what the original season 4 was going to feature except for the aforementioned fire and that Bullock was to lose the election and trash the gently caress out of the sheriff's office rather than concede.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I don't think we know that much about what the original season 4 was going to feature except for the aforementioned fire and that Bullock was to lose the election and trash the gently caress out of the sheriff's office rather than concede.

Ah, bummer. I figured a fire was being set up, considering Harry was running solely because he wanted a fire department, and Tom got him supplies in the finale.

Unrelated, but I always watch shows with subtitles on, and in the scene where Pinkertons are hassling Fields as he waits in line to vote, one's dialogue names him as 'Pinkerdick' lol.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Holy poo poo! Jesus! The cocksucker's dead, George! Look, he's got a fuckin' knife in his chest. That ain't your fuckin' knife, is it, George Hearst?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Bullock not a sheriff is hard to imagine, what would he do with his searing rage. Kinda imagine it like Vic Mackey in the last scene of The Shield.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That was always the crux of Bullock’s character, IMO, he might be a decent guy deep down but he’s very obviously a wound-too-tight psychopath and him losing his authority to whoop everyone’s rear end wouldn’t stop him from whipping everyone’s asses

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He'd be like the first few eps where he found excuses to "Justifiably" kill people anyway.

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016
They all pulled first.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

tomapot posted:

Bullock not a sheriff is hard to imagine, what would he do with his searing rage. Kinda imagine it like Vic Mackey in the last scene of The Shield.

He became a US Marshall instead. No really, this isn't a Justified joke.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SimonCat posted:

He became a US Marshall instead. No really, this isn't a Justified joke.

If it were, it would be justified.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know how the timelines mesh up, but I hope like hell Teddy Roosevelt is involved in some form or fashion, since apparently he and Bullock were buddies (or at least Bullock tolerated him) in later years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They became friends in 1884 and the movie is in 1889 I believe, so it works.

Also at this time the hardware store is gone and he's running a hotel that still exists in Deadwood, wonder if they'll do that.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Recap from HBO, pretty short but hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QboNS6FRM

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am finishing the last episode of season three right now. Ready to suck cock by choice when the day comes.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Still can't believe this movie exists and is happening soon

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
lunger or not, apparently Doc's still around!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/reviews/tv-review-deadwood-movie-1203215301/

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
AW -- gently caress YOU, AL

When I started watching Deadwood, I expected Doc to be kind of a ghoulish, sadistic quack in Swearengen's pocket, just because Dourif played so many evil and psychotic characters. I'm a hooplehead.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, Doc had been charged with grave robbing seven times (can't remember when that was brought up though), so he's at least a bit ghoulish.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Awww, he's just inquisitive!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well, Doc had been charged with grave robbing seven times (can't remember when that was brought up though), so he's at least a bit ghoulish.

Anyways...

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Just finished my rewatch. drat do I love all the characters on this show. Still sucks the story with Hurst ended without any justice for Ellsworth. With Hurst back for the movie, I'm not sure if I should hope for him to get his just deserts.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 19, 2019

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/15/...Kzd5R4LVltUHmKI

Good article about re-building Deadwood without blueprints. That seems like a lot of work to go through just for one movie. Between that article, the excellent reviews so far, and the mention of dangling plot threads in a couple reviews, I'm holding on to the slimmest of hopes that HBO and Milch have one final season or one more movie left in them after this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My bluray set got delayed being delivered, it was supposed to be here in time for me to binge through the whole thing before the movie goddammit :mad:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BossTweed posted:

Just finished my rewatch. drat do I love all the characters on this show. Still sucks the story with Hurst ended without any justice for Ellsworth. With Hurst back for the movie, I'm not sure if I should hope for him to get his just deserts.

When did you start thinking every wrong has a right Wu?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hearst was a real person, so factor that into whether you think he'll get his or not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boardwalk killed off nucky despite the actual guy dying of old age.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

BossTweed posted:

You want me to tell you something pretty?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

boardwalk killed off nucky despite the actual guy dying of old age.

I can't see the series deciding to go all Inglourious Basterds in the movie, although I certainly wouldn't mind.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/05/27/david-milchs-third-act

That is an article/interview with David Milch describing his current mental and physical difficulties. Pretty scary stuff.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pyrotek posted:

That is an article/interview with David Milch describing his current mental and physical difficulties. Pretty scary stuff.

Jesus loving christ

tldr: he has Alzheimer's and HBO only let him make the Deadwood movie as a favor because he owes $5 million to the IRS and is running out of time

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I've seen the movie and it's wonderful. Deadwood is my favourite show of all-time and this more than lived up to it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pyrotek posted:

Hearing such a erudite and intelligent man describe in great detail the day by day loss is some Flowers For Algernon poo poo.

It is probably my personal worst fear. People say "oh, if I was paralyzed or stuck in a bed just kill me" and I could care less if that happened to me, as long as I had my mind, as long as I could read and watch tv and go online. To lose my mind, slowly, would be the worst fate I can envision.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah my greatest fear is being undone like that.

but lol at ending up owing the irs 5 mil when you've made 100 mil in your career.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

pyrotek posted:

That's quite an upsetting article to read, but very good. It all reminds me a bit of Flowers for Algernon, too - I remember I read that story when I was maybe 10 or 11 in some short story/novella anthology, and it was the first thing I'd ever read that truly made me weep. It's a frightening and terribly upsetting thing - the prospect of losing self-awareness.

I actually... Well, I can't speak for everyone with mental illness, just myself. I've always felt I had a lot in common with Milch (even though I'm nowhere near as smart) I've also struggled with addiction and mental illness while distinguishing myself academically - but it's always been an uphill fight, for obvious reasons, and I've been lucky to have the support of my family and very kind friends who've helped me to be much more functional and engaged with the world.

The point I want to make that's so frustrating is that through my issues with anxiety and PTSD, I always maintained a rational and objective part of my brain that entirely understood how and why I was behaving irrationally, or what the correct thing to do was, or why it was irrational to hide in my room and be afraid for no rational conscious meaning. But knowing that I wasn't behaving like someone who is mentally healthy, or knowing that my response to stress (total avoidance) was unhealthy and only exacerbated my problems really doesn't help. It's more torturous than anything else. I'm also perpetually aware that I might be losing my mind at any given moment - the part that's able to rationally comprehend my mental illness, at least. Because as awful as it is to watch myself behaving in horrible ways, I'm far more afraid of losing my sense of self-awareness and ability to think and talk and write about the things I'm going through.

Well, I just wanted to speak on feeling that way. Milch's creative process sounds fantastic though I wanna borrow it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So is there any chance this just drops Friday for streaming or will it be like their regular shows and become available when it airs?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who watched the show's original run - do you remember when HBO would drop the new episode on-demand, and every week they would gently caress up and also upload the following week's show at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I've been rewatching the entire show with my dad in anticipation of the movie, and while I don't think we'll be quite up to the end by Friday, we did just finish Season 2. Watching that finale, it blew me away how much plot happened in that one episode:

-Hearst arriving
-Wolcott getting his end
-EB selling the hotel to Hearst, followed by Hearst's "renovations"
-Al manipulating Hearst into ending the war among the Chinese and killing San Francisco Cocksucker Lee
-Adams proving his worth to Al both in the office and in the street, and making friends with Dan
-Alma and Ellsworth getting married
-Jane and Joanie becoming even better friends
-Bullock and Al successfully snowing over Jarry into a Yankton alliance on their terms
-Tolliver attempting(?) to blackmail Hearst
-Tolliver getting stabbed

The way it was all intercut by the wedding was masterful, reminding me of The Godfather. That is probably one of the best season finales in the history of tv.

I'm glad I rewatched because there's a lot of major stuff I just forgot, like William dying, Andy Cramed coming back as a minister, etc.