Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FrozenVent posted:

It’s a search and rescue thing

Ok, that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

deadbeat dadwear

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1133505331416453121

:chloe:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There is no loving way...

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i would love to be one of millions of people completely taken by surprise by this:

https://twitter.com/Jeres_Rant/status/1133514384548851712

imagine being no naive that everything is new to you

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

FrozenVent posted:

Some joke about cops' "We all go home" but less bitter and more funny than I can manage right now.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

trump wasn't even this creepy when he said he might be dating a 10 year old in 10 years

e: i phrased this really vague but i'm leaving it vague because any interpretation is believable in 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Stravag posted:

The leader of your country shouldnt be a role model. Holy gently caress. Is he all about sports players and publicity whores as roles models?
One of my guys in the guard listens to too much right wing "comedy" podcasts. So while he's admitted that Trump is dumb, he thinks him being unpresidential isn't an issue because "JFK hosed hookers". He also is under the illusion that Donnie has done good things. He's one lovely comment about AOC, Ilhan Omar, or Islam away from me going off on him. It's a shame because he's alright when he's not talking about this poo poo. That and he named off some non-STEM majors last drills, including what I doubled majored in alongside GIS, and described them as worthless. He has a degree in logistics, which isn't really STEM itself.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

colachute posted:

I asked a Trump supporter friend of mine who had a baby on the way in 2016 if they would be okay with him growing up and acting like Trump. He said that’s not relevant because he doesn’t think the president should be a role model.

E: this is when I figured he’s an idiot and he’s not my friend anymore.

Betting if you had a time machine and asked this question when Obama was in office he had very, very strong opinions on the topic that magically changed at some unknown point in recent history.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i would love to be one of millions of people completely taken by surprise by this:

https://twitter.com/Jeres_Rant/status/1133514384548851712

imagine being no naive that everything is new to you

No matter what it is, the democratic response will be laughable

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ever wanted to watch a few YouTube videos and call yourself a Master Plumber? Congrats, Texas is now for you!

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/1133088960077545472

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

No matter what it is, the democratic response will be laughable

Nancy will tell us that pushing back against it would be counterproductive and the polls show that people are more interested in hearing about how it's impossible for the Democrats to expand healthcare

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 29, 2019

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ever wanted to watch a few YouTube videos and call yourself a Master Plumber? Congrats, Texas is now for you!

Holy poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bird food bathtub posted:

Betting if you had a time machine and asked this question when Obama was in office he had very, very strong opinions on the topic that magically changed at some unknown point in recent history.

The irony is Barry O is easily the best role model we've had in my life.

e: as president, obviously.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

The irony is Barry O is easily the best role model we've had in my life.

e: as president, obviously.

Same. Granted i was only born halway throughbush the greater

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

FrozenVent posted:

It's getting out of hand

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

daliftz0ne

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zirconium Joe courting the Mississippi vote.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Chichevache posted:

Ok, that's pretty cool.

quote:

A Coast Guard surfboat was being launched into the surf in an
effort to reach the ship and rescue the crew. A reporter at the scene asked the Surfman in charge why they
were attempting this seemingly impossible task. The Surfman replied, "They say you must go out and try,
they don't say anything about coming back!"

It's from the United States Lifesaving Service, which regulations basically said "we don't care how bad the storm is, get the gently caress out there".

quote:

In attempting a rescue the keeper will select either the boat, breeches buoy, or life car, as in his judgment is best suited to effectively cope with the existing conditions. If the device first selected fails after such trial as satisfies him that no further attempt with it is feasible, he will resort to one of the others, and if that fails, then to the remaining one, and he will not desist from his efforts until by actual trial the impossibility of effecting a rescue is demonstrated. The statement of the keeper that he did not try to use the boat because the sea or surf was too heavy will not be accepted unless attempts to launch it were actually made and failed [underlining added], or unless the conformation of the coast—as bluffs, precipitous banks, etc.—is such as to unquestionably preclude the use of a boat.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 29, 2019

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I love all the little.forklifts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

King of Bees posted:

It's getting out of hand

"Earned it forever....well, at least until my cert expires."

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Literally had no idea the forklift guys were so badass. Just goes to show.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Actually last time I had to drmo some poo poo they were pretty pissed off looking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"I change for no one, buttercup!

which is why I've been let go so many times..."

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Apparently KCMO is getting whacked by a large tornado right now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Apparently KCMO is getting whacked by a large tornado right now.

If only it'd level St Louis (suburbs) instead

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I wish they would do this for barbers and other stupid poo poo. I get having some level of voluntary credentialing body for lower-end skilled jobs, but in a lot of places they're just captured by established private interests that then exclude people who want to get into field that don't have the money for the basic license.

But yeah, the correct solution to regulatory capture isn't to throw away regulation, it's to fight regulatory capture.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Texas checking the freedom box.

Freedom to gently caress up your own plumbing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I wish they would do this for barbers and other stupid poo poo. I get having some level of voluntary credentialing body for lower-end skilled jobs, but in a lot of places they're just captured by established private interests that then exclude people who want to get into field that don't have the money for the basic license.

But yeah, the correct solution to regulatory capture isn't to throw away regulation, it's to fight regulatory capture.

I kinda want to make sure my barber is trained and inspected on basic sanitary practices...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Don't let the door go through your legs on the way out, Buckner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9RLQK_BbZg

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Texas checking the freedom box.

Freedom to gently caress up your own plumbing.

THAT AIN' NO SHEE-I-YIT HOLE, PARDNER

THAT THERE'S A FREEDOM HOLE

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Chichevache posted:

I kinda want to make sure my barber is trained and inspected on basic sanitary practices...

The free market will prevail. Sure some folks will die or have terrible accidents but their family will have recourse in the court of law.

Lol

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

The plan: Roll in, start up an LLC, claim I'm a plumber, do whatever kind of lovely job I feel like doing on calls for a while, dissolve the LLC and bail.

The catch: Gotta be in Texas to do it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

It's from the United States Lifesaving Service, which regulations basically said "we don't care how bad the storm is, get the gently caress out there".

The USLSS was a bunch of badasses. Captain Richard Etheridge (Station Keeper at USLSS station Pea Island, on the outer banks of NC) stole 9 lives from the enraged maw of an Atlantic hurricane in the 1890's, but he and his crew didn't receive their medals until the 1990's. Captain Etheridge himself was born a slave, went into the US Army and murdered confederates, then became Station Keeper at Pea Island until the day the Wright brothers were taking their first flight. He was the first African-American station Keeper in all of the USLSS, and his grave is at the NC Aquarium at Roanoke Island.

the award citation for Etheridge and his men posted:

The three-masted schooner E.S. Newman, sailing from Providence, RI to Norfolk, VA ran into a hurricane. Pushed before the storm, the ship lost all sails and drifted almost 100 miles before it ran aground about two miles south of the Pea Island Life-Saving Station (NC) on 11 October 1896. The station keeper, Richard Etheridge, had discontinued the routine patrols due to the high water that had inundated the island. Surfman Theodore Meekins, however, saw what he thought was a distress signal and lit a Coston flare. He then called to Etheridge to look for a return signal. Both strained to look through the storm. Moments later, they saw a faint signal of a vessel in distress. Etheridge, a veteran of nearly twenty years, readied the crew. They hitched mules to the beach cart and hurried toward the vessel. Arriving on the scene, they found Captain S.A. Gardiner and eight others clinging to the wreckage. Unable to fire a line because the high water prevented the Lyle Gun’s deployment, Etheridge directed two surfmen to bind themselves together with a line. Grasping another line, the pair moved into the breakers while the remaining surfmen secured the shore end. The two surfmen reached the wreck and, using a heaving stick, got a line on board. Once a line was tied around one of the crewmen, all three were then pulled back through the surf by the crew on the beach. The remaining eight persons were carried to shore in similar fashion. After each trip two different surfmen replaced those who had just returned. For their efforts the crew of the Pea Island Life-Saving Station, Richard Etheridge, Benjamin Bowser, Dorman Pugh, Theodore Meekins, Lewis Wescott, Stanley Wise, and William Irving were awarded the Gold Lifesaving Medal on 5 March 1996.

So yea..."we don't care how bad the storm is, get the gently caress out there[i/]"

https://www.history.uscg.mil/Portals/1/personnel/pdf/Richard_Etheridge.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_Island_Life-Saving_Station#Later_years

This is the second-most insane rescue in Coast Guard history; there's a new cutter named after Captain Etheridge, 2nd of its class. That ship class is the Sentinel, and the 1st of the class was named after Bernard C. Webber. In 1952, he took a 36ft boat out in 60ft seas to rescue people from a tanker (S.S. Pendleton) that had broken in half during a winter storm off of MA. That he went out at all is utterly insane, that he came back with [i]any
survivors is beyond incredible.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I kinda want men with guns making sure my dumbshit neighbors have backflow prevention devices

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This was the KC tornado:

https://twitter.com/GerardJebaily/s...ingawful.com%2F

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jesse_Ri...ingawful.com%2F

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

This is the second-most insane rescue in Coast Guard history; there's a new cutter named after Captain Etheridge, 2nd of its class. That ship class is the Sentinel, and the 1st of the class was named after Bernard C. Webber. In 1952, he took a 36ft boat out in 60ft seas to rescue people from a tanker (S.S. Pendleton) that had broken in half during a winter storm off of MA. That he went out at all is utterly insane, that he came back with any survivors is beyond incredible.

Disney actually released a movie about the rescue of the Pendleton a couple of years ago called The Finest Hours, it was actually a pretty good movie and I was kind of surprised that I didn't see them advertise it at all.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mechadestroyer posted:

Disney actually released a movie about the rescue of the Pendleton a couple of years ago called The Finest Hours, it was actually a pretty good movie and I was kind of surprised that I didn't see them advertise it at all.

Excellent book of the same title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mechadestroyer posted:

Seconding a good watch.