Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Electric Bugaloo posted:

lol I dunno. I just thought it was kinda funny how excited you seemed to get for the Nook bed and how you've managed to track one down in the desired size after coming up short at the outlet. I thought I was being more good-weird than bad-weird, I guess. I'm legit happy for you and it's been fun to see your apartment projects come together over the last few weeks.

It's a good looking bed, although I'd be afraid of messing up the upholstered headboard by sitting against it/somebody putting a hand through it during certain kinds of sex.

That's the good part of getting it second-hand, presumably the other guy has already had lots of sex in it and not damaged it so it should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's the good part of getting it second-hand, presumably the other guy has already had lots of sex in it and not damaged it so it should be good to go.

For sale: Blue Dot Nook bed, queen, Thurmond Light Gray, full of body soil.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

lol I dunno. I just thought it was kinda funny how excited you seemed to get for the Nook bed and how you've managed to track one down in the desired size after coming up short at the outlet. I thought I was being more good-weird than bad-weird, I guess. I'm legit happy for you and it's been fun to see your apartment projects come together over the last few weeks.

It's a good looking bed, although I'd be afraid of messing up the upholstered headboard by sitting against it/somebody putting a hand through it during certain kinds of sex.

hahaha no it was just funny

I appreciate the comments.

and yes...

the sex

I sure do have a lot of that nowadays that is a legit concern

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

With a bed like that, your only concern will be how to actually get some sleep in it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

awww, look at you scoring deals on your special snuggle taco bed. :3:

your adorable quilted hooded snooze cave, haggled down to a pwice that works for you :nyan:

I'm lolling at this and my kid wants to know why I'm lolling but I can't explain!!!!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

The wall paint is likely water-based if that helps, you could probably remove it without affecting the trim, depending on how it's finished/painted. Gentle circular motions with a damp cotton swab might get the job done.

Might also be worth trying to just sort of push/break/chip it off very lightly with something appropriate for how soft or hard the underlying surface is.

The problem with water based latex is once it dries, the water property doesn't really reverse in my experience.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

The wall paint is likely water-based if that helps, you could probably remove it without affecting the trim, depending on how it's finished/painted. Gentle circular motions with a damp cotton swab might get the job done.

Might also be worth trying to just sort of push/break/chip it off very lightly with something appropriate for how soft or hard the underlying surface is.
Razor blades make great little scrapers. Don't try and cut with it, look up a card/cabinet scraper and use it like that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'd try a 5 in 1 or plastic scraper first, razors have a tendency to uh.. Shave

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
Why does the new title say "post the bathroom, coward" instead of "post the toilet, coward"? We've already seen the bathroom. It's the mysterious toilet we need to see. As a female, I would like to know what kind of toilet I find desirable.

Sarah Bellum posted:

My money is on twin grey cultured stone toilets with red seats resting on T (formerly I) joists, each surrounded by a gentle circle of pebbles and graced with its own chandelier.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sarah Bellum posted:

As a female, I would like to know what kind of toilet I find desirable.

As a female, you shouldn't even be using one, so of course no toilet is the most desirable toilet. To you, as a female.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
toilet tax: Words on walls is not improved by fancy molding.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 29, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Yep, a plastic scraper might even do the trick

This is where I'd start, yeah.

Mr. Mambold posted:

The problem with water based latex is once it dries, the water property doesn't really reverse in my experience.

Quite possibly true, I've not tried it myself and I suppose it depends how soluble the binder is.

there wolf posted:

Finally we get to see another angle of PRADA's house.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
Liveth
Laugheth
Loveth

Latex paint is virtually impossible remove from wood once dry. Even my steam mop didn't help with the splashes we made when redecorating the kitchen (I was teaching my children how to decorate). I could get it off the tiles but not the skirting boards.- luckily for us we are replacing those soon anyway.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

there wolf posted:

I hate this more than the Marie Antoinette monstrosity two pages ago. At least that has an ethos

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sarah Bellum posted:

Latex paint is virtually impossible remove from wood once dry. Even my steam mop didn't help with the splashes we made when redecorating the kitchen (I was teaching my children how to decorate). I could get it off the tiles but not the skirting boards.- luckily for us we are replacing those soon anyway.

The tricky part (at least from the research I've been doing recently) is that "latex" just means an emulsion of polymers in water, and exactly what polymers are being use to carry and bind the pigments combined with what surface it's on will determine how easy or not it is to remove. Some Dulux paint I've recently had to remove actually peels off both the walls and e.g. plastic paint tubs just fine because it's high in PVA, whereas some of their trade stuff has more acrylics in it.

It depends exactly what the binder is in the paint used by their home's previous owner and how porous the trim is and what finish was used on the trim (oils? polyurethane? nothing?), and it's all theory from me right now as I've not tried removing any of it from wood yet.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe the previous owner had some weak sex game. You can't know if a bed will hold up until you really put it through its paces.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

actionjackson posted:

hahaha no it was just funny

I appreciate the comments.

and yes...

the sex

I sure do have a lot of that nowadays that is a legit concern

Just treat said lovely German/Bavarian lady to one of those awesome breakfasts the next day!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

there wolf posted:

Jesus, all that baroque trim misses the whole point of Eames' aesthetic.

Or is that :thejoke:?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sarah Bellum posted:

Liveth
Laugheth
Loveth

Did you make this up? Because I’mma steal it for a set design for an adapted Shakespeare play at some point.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Did you make this up? Because I’mma steal it for a set design for an adapted Shakespeare play at some point.

In this house we:

Contemplate to be or not to be;
Shake our gory locks;
Bite our thumbs at thee
and prick our thumbs;
Hover through the fog and filthy air;
Do wrong to none;
Canst not be false to any man;
Protesteth too much;
Wake when some vile thing is near;
Ask not for whom the bell tolls.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Brawnfire posted:

In this house we:

Shake our gory locks;
Bite our thumbs at thee
and prick our thumbs;
Do wrong to none;
Protesteth too much;

I think the last one is John Donne otherwise amazing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I think the last one is John Donne otherwise amazing.

I guess Shakey borrowed it for Macbeth, then. Not surprising...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Jesus, all that baroque trim misses the whole point of Eames' aesthetic.

Or is that :thejoke:?

I'm inclined to think it's a bit of a joke since all the furnishing are modern and it's hard to see the clash between them and the interior as anything other than deliberate.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Brawnfire posted:

In this house we:

Shake our gory locks;
Bite our thumbs at thee
and prick our thumbs;
Do wrong to none;
Protesteth too much;

No words. Should've sent a po... hm. Guess they did.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I did, and you're very welcome to it. Show us a pic when you're done.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Any way to make this shower prettier/more updated without spending more than say, $100? (Rest of the room is getting painted soon)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Buy a simple human trash can.

Serious answer: $100 is pretty low for a new shower. If you could only change one thing, what would it be?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Buy a simple human trash can.

Serious answer: $100 is pretty low for a new shower. If you could only change one thing, what would it be?

The shower

realpost: It's the frosted glass and aging, too-far-off-white vinyl(?) shower basin that make it look so ugly. You can't paint that, can you?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Any way to make this shower prettier/more updated without spending more than say, $100? (Rest of the room is getting painted soon)

Move the plunger, new trashcan, clean & re-caulk the base with white or clear caulk.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Put a pothos on the windowsill

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

IKEA and target are honestly my favorite two places for this. If you needed a shower curtain I’d say that would be the first place to start.

Since you don’t- get a bunch of nice bathroom rugs and bath mats (there’s a difference and you should use both if moisture accumulation is a problem). I like to get two rugs of each color and get a few different colors that all work in the same palette. That way it’s easy and trivial to just toss one in the laundry hamper and grab a clean replacement. Rotating the colors keeps everything feeling nice and fresh. I think I spent like $5-7 per rug at IKEA and they’re really nice. So if you start with like 4 of them you’ve spent $20-30.

Get complementary towels. Replace musty textiles with dry ones often to control moisture odor.

Get complementary curtains. Those can be very inexpensive and very attractive (Target.com, ikea)

Get some nice inexpensive wall decor.

Get a complementary trashcan/soapdish/etc.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Get the Merdolino

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Hire a maid service to come and give the whole bathroom a deep clean, then redo the caulking.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Get some of those stained-glass window clings and put them on the shower so you feel like you are naked in church

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I was all getting ready to "He said $100 not a $5k towel bar you idi-!" then clicked the link. That thing is really cool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Bloop posted:

Get some of those stained-glass window clings and put them on the shower so you feel like you are naked in church

Hell yeah. Also get a bluetooth thing to crank out "Like a Prayer" everytime the water runs.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looks like a buttplug for two. I like the idea of making ugly things interesting though

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Is it called that because "merde" is French for poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

IKEA and target are honestly my favorite two places for this. If you needed a shower curtain I’d say that would be the first place to start.

Since you don’t- get a bunch of nice bathroom rugs and bath mats (there’s a difference and you should use both if moisture accumulation is a problem). I like to get two rugs of each color and get a few different colors that all work in the same palette. That way it’s easy and trivial to just toss one in the laundry hamper and grab a clean replacement. Rotating the colors keeps everything feeling nice and fresh. I think I spent like $5-7 per rug at IKEA and they’re really nice. So if you start with like 4 of them you’ve spent $20-30.

Get complementary towels. Replace musty textiles with dry ones often to control moisture odor.

Get complementary curtains. Those can be very inexpensive and very attractive (Target.com, ikea)

Get some nice inexpensive wall decor.

Get a complementary trashcan/soapdish/etc.

These are all good suggestions, and mostly in the pipeline already. More specifically, I'm focused on improving the shower itself, not the bathroom as a whole. I can spruce up the rest of the room, but the shower feels like a real eyesore.