Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

So is there nowhere to just buy access to this series? This is the only HBO series I want access to.

I doubt it, but HBO streaming is like $15/mo so just sign up and then cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
You could get HBO Now for 1 month, I think it's like $15.

edit: beaten like Shcherbinina's telephone.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

While we're on the subject how long will it take for the blu-ray release? Idk what HBO's timing is like and the only other TV I buy on disc is the Venture Bros.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Sign up for HBO through Amazon and you get a free week so you can watch it and then cancel.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FBS posted:

While we're on the subject how long will it take for the blu-ray release? Idk what HBO's timing is like and the only other TV I buy on disc is the Venture Bros.

Blu-Ray will likely be available after the show is done next week. HBO generally offers their shows for purchase after they have completed their run!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zoran posted:

He was the man responsible for figuring out how to make those bad outcomes not happen, and he did.

And more generally, he—and in real life, all the scientists dealing with Chernobyl—were facing a situation no one ever expected or anticipated; they all thought it was impossible until it happened. He frequently overestimates because he's being forced to apply theoretical concepts to an ongoing catastrophe. It's only natural that he would plan and pitch for the worst case scenario.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My brother has been working on rendering and texturing Chernobyl’s interior structures in Blender for a handful of months, now. He’s been working with a Polish videogame developer for a Stalker-esque game that has to do with the disaster.

He just sent this over to me, figured this thread would like it. He’s using as many reference photos as he can for the best accuracy. He’s excited because it’s the first game he’s ever worked on.

http://imgur.com/a/bYdfNbg

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just want to say everybody needs to read midnight in Chernobyl if you like this show.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

Also Midnight in Chernobyl and Chernobyl 1:23:40 have pretty much the same information about the accident itself, with the exception that Midnight is more detailed and thorough, properly sourced and written by a journalist. 1:23:40 is largely unsourced, written by a redditor who's not very good at writing, and the half of it that isn't directly lifted from Midnight or Voices (not word-for-word copied, just restated and not credited) is the author's account of his guided tour through the zone during which nothing of note happens. It's no wonder he had to self publish

Loops fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 29, 2019

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also if you were wondering why they kept asking if the Americans had anything to clear the roof, the United States has a long history being the capitalist pig that saves their bacon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Famine_Relief_Act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease#US_deliveries_to_the_Soviet_Union

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

So is there nowhere to just buy access to this series? This is the only HBO series I want access to.

If you wait till next week, you can do a 7 day free trial through amazon prime if you have that. Then binge it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CainFortea posted:

Well, sure. I just would be walking around with my breath mask all the time and not burning things.

Probably made of asbestos.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

counterfeitsaint posted:

So now that we're almost done with the cleanup part and politics seems to be the main focus of the last episode, there's something I don't understand.

Is Legasov just frequently wrong? Every time he's talking about the damage done by Chernobyl it doesn't seem to coincide with what we know actually happened. He's giving that presentation to the Central Committee and he's talking about needing almost a million men to assist with the cleanup and that either thousands or tens of thousands will die. But that poo poo didn't happen right? I know the number isn't exactly clear, but it's generally accepted that less than 100 people died in the immediate aftermath, and while there were certainly hundreds more than died later or were severely hosed up, why is he talking about tens of thousands?

I'm kind of confused too, it's a little weird that Legasov puts this into such shocking terms yet the "official" outcome is relatively benign? It's nothing more than the original sixty odd plant workers and firemen? Did the all of the civilians, miners and "biorobots" actually survive? That doesn't make sense...

As for the event itself, if there's a reactor meltdown what stops it melting? Would it ever theoretically just melt through the entire Earth's core if they hadn't poured tons of sand? Then what would happen outside of things like the groundwater being contaminated...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
What you’re referring to is China syndrome.

The biggest thing that prevents it is that eventually the corium spreads out as it melts through concrete through gravity and cools down as a result. Groundwater contamination is a risk, but it won’t melt a hole through the crust.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

So now that we're almost done with the cleanup part and politics seems to be the main focus of the last episode, there's something I don't understand.

Is Legasov just frequently wrong? Every time he's talking about the damage done by Chernobyl it doesn't seem to coincide with what we know actually happened. He's giving that presentation to the Central Committee and he's talking about needing almost a million men to assist with the cleanup and that either thousands or tens of thousands will die. But that poo poo didn't happen right? I know the number isn't exactly clear, but it's generally accepted that less than 100 people died in the immediate aftermath, and while there were certainly hundreds more than died later or were severely hosed up, why is he talking about tens of thousands?
Seems like thousands of Ukranian workers did die
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Human_impact

quote:

Of all 66,000 Belarusian emergency workers, by the mid-1990s only 150 (roughly 0.2%) were reported by their government as having died. In contrast, 5,722 casualties were reported among Ukrainian clean-up workers up to the year 1995, by the National Committee for Radiation Protection of the Ukrainian Population.[107][150]

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Gonz posted:

My brother has been working on rendering and texturing Chernobyl’s interior structures in Blender for a handful of months, now. He’s been working with a Polish videogame developer for a Stalker-esque game that has to do with the disaster.

He just sent this over to me, figured this thread would like it. He’s using as many reference photos as he can for the best accuracy. He’s excited because it’s the first game he’s ever worked on.

http://imgur.com/a/bYdfNbg

The game in question wouldn't happen to be "Chernobylite", would it? Because I've been looking forward to that for quite a bit.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

I'm kind of confused too, it's a little weird that Legasov puts this into such shocking terms yet the "official" outcome is relatively benign? It's nothing more than the original sixty odd plant workers and firemen? Did the all of the civilians, miners and "biorobots" actually survive? That doesn't make sense...

As for the event itself, if there's a reactor meltdown what stops it melting? Would it ever theoretically just melt through the entire Earth's core if they hadn't poured tons of sand? Then what would happen outside of things like the groundwater being contaminated...

A poo poo-ton of people got cancer and died within a few years of these events, including Shcherbina - he died 4 years after Chernobyl. Legasov estimated needing +/- 750,000 men over a period of many years, which is exactly the type of estimate you give your boss when you need a shitload of men and you have no way of knowing the full extent of the damage. You don't estimate 50,000, wait, now we need 60,000, no hold on, 70,000...

Of those men, a lot of them died of cancer, but unless it's certain types of cancer it's hard to tell the exact cause, and their death certificate is unlikely to say "Cause of Death: Dyatlov". Plus, with the confusion of the entire governmental system breaking down just a few years later, any numbers you see for deaths are probably going to be on the low end. Do you include the men who drank themselves to death? Or committed suicide a few years later, because they had cancer?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The game in question wouldn't happen to be "Chernobylite", would it? Because I've been looking forward to that for quite a bit.

That’s the one!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Was it living in tenements full of asbestos, smoking 4 packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day, or cleaning up radioactive debris that gave me cancer?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

canyoneer posted:

Was it living in tenements full of asbestos, smoking 4 packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day, or cleaning up radioactive debris that gave me cancer?

perestroika of the lungs

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Some of the gas mask units also included asbestos in the filters. (The prevalent GP-5 masks)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Does anyone know who the soldier at the beginning (the one who shot the cow) is? He looks crazy familiar, but he's not on the IMDB page.

CrazyLoon posted:

It's Pyp from Game of Thrones.

Edit: Dead on, thanks.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 29, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AFewBricksShy posted:

Does anyone know who the soldier at the beginning (the one who shot the cow) is? He looks crazy familiar, but he's not on the IMDB page.

It's Pyp from Game of Thrones.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
There have been like five Game of Thrones actors in this show.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So since we seem to have folks that know a good amount about this topic here’s a question. The Russian ex-pat that got the ole’ polonium milkshake from Putin. With just being exposed to ingested alpha particles, do you still get the skin melting and all that, or is it just internal damage?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
A related question, about the guy on the roof who tore his shoe. In theory if you got a fuckload of radiation to your foot only, could that kill you? Could it only damage your foot? Could quick amputation prevent it spreading?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

TinTower posted:

What you’re referring to is China syndrome.

Speaking of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY8fJ0ldRnE

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

clown shoes posted:

There have been like five Game of Thrones actors in this show.

HBO uses a lot of the same actors in their shows.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

kaesarsosei posted:

A related question, about the guy on the roof who tore his shoe. In theory if you got a fuckload of radiation to your foot only, could that kill you? Could it only damage your foot? Could quick amputation prevent it spreading?

I think you'd probably be screwed because radioactive blood is going to go elsewhere very quickly.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

The tissue damage wouldn't spread, so amputation wouldn't save you--but might prove necessary if the localized damage was severe.

Changes in blood chemistry is going to be all through your body in short order anyway, so amputation isn't really a help there, either.

Cancer is, well, cancer.

The larger issues for torn-shoe guy are contamination--which might be washed off before the dose gets problematic, and the whole-body dose he got before leaving the roof, since that lead foil they were wearing wasn't going to do poo poo against a 12KR/hr dose rate.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Chad Georgian was amazing well cast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Falling down multiple times was probably worse since radiation follows the inverse-square law and so getting even a couple of feet closer substantially ups the dose.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So since we seem to have folks that know a good amount about this topic here’s a question. The Russian ex-pat that got the ole’ polonium milkshake from Putin. With just being exposed to ingested alpha particles, do you still get the skin melting and all that, or is it just internal damage?

Internal mostly from Alpha.
Keep in mind alpha particles are really big, just air alone is enough to stop them. Beta is significantly smaller, but a few layers of clothing can stop it. It's the ionization that makes these two bad. If the particles can get close enough it's ionization that fucks with you. Gamma, being a wave, just passes through everything but super dense material and that is what fucks with you the most most of the time.

Alpha = O
Beta = .
gamma = gently caress you I penetrate everything

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

Internal mostly from Alpha.
Keep in mind alpha particles are really big, just air alone is enough to stop them. Beta is significantly smaller, but a few layers of clothing can stop it. It's the ionization that makes these two bad. If the particles can get close enough it's ionization that fucks with you. Gamma, being a wave, just passes through everything but super dense material and that is what fucks with you the most most of the time.

Alpha = O
Beta = .
gamma = gently caress you I penetrate everything

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In addition, a few hundred to a few thousand people died just from the evacuation of Fukushima: God only knows how many died in the Soviet evacuation...

I've never heard this before.

Edit:
I found it, it's estimating lifespan shortening from the stress of relocation unrelated to radiation and arguing that the evacuation caused far more problems than the reactor event.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 29, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You know the recent episode was going to be good since it started with vodka case unloading and blasted shirtless guys dancing around.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 29, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Learn how to pronounce: "ничего не поделаешь"

Congrats on your Russian fluency.

ето нормально, где водка?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

remember that legasov is speaking of possibilities in the context of the event currently happening, not detailing what did actually end up happening due to his efforts to mitigate the disaster, along with the efforts of hundreds of thousands of other people

chernobyl was the first time a nuclear reactor went kablooie in such an extreme way so really everything is on the table

as to fatalities, there were forty some odd people who died directly as an immediate cause of the accident, but the number of people who died later has to be measured on a statistical scale. and we'll never know how many casualties are a result of chernobyl, as it is an unknowable number, but probably in the tens of thousands

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhXfawkeOc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that the series had the Human Society seal of approval at the end of the credits.

Don't worry the doggie mass grave was actually fake dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

etalian posted:

You know the recent episode was going to be good since it started with vodka case unloading and blasted shirtless guys dancing around.

Welcome to Russian celebrations of any stripe