Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Just reboot both Frasier and Boss into each other.

I'm down for a Frasier/Metal Gear Solid crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

Also Kelsey Grammar shouldn't have any drat say in the reboot direction because he thought his solo show should be about a paraplegic media magnate that directed his empire from his bed and his sassy latina maid would teach him the finer things of the working class world (sounds like the perfect recipe for a show cancelled just shy of mid-season after a reworking).

I heard about this offhand and it raises many questions. So was the first idea a Kelsey Grammer vehicle about the bedridden billionaire? Did it star Grammer specifically? And then after they realized that's Cancelled After One Episode territory, they were just like, uh we'll just do a Cheers spinoff? Again, was Frasier the primary consideration for that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I heard about this offhand and it raises many questions.
I read it from that Frasier scriptwriter blog linked upthread a few pages ago.

Basically Grammer saw the end of Cheers approaching but also felt that he could handle a show based around him given how well his character integrated with the cast. He thought Spin Off would be too difficult to work (it would become an excuse to bring back Cheers members regularly), so he began looking at ideas for vehicles that would slot in easily and something about that premise appealed to him.

When it was shut down, the producers went to work on how to make a Frasier spin off show work (move him out of Boston, pair him with family members). They got lucky with their first choices for Niles and Martin (the network said, if you can get them they're approved and we'll have contracts asap). They kept the sassy maid idea and were going after Rosie Perez but Jane Leeves auditioned and everyone loved what she brought.

In yet another example of having terrible instincts, Kelsey felt the english maid would be too close to an older comedy (The Professor And the Whatever) and threatened to just axe the part. They had him do a closed door read with Leeves and he stormed out afterwards basically going "Yeah ok do it"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 28, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sunswipe posted:

I'm down for a Frasier/Metal Gear Solid crossover.

Snake accidentally calls into Frasier's show with his codec.

I bet this could be an edit.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

FilthyImp posted:

In yet another example of having terrible instincts, Kelsey felt the english maid would be too close to an older comedy (The Professor And the Whatever) and threatened to just axe the part. They had him do a closed door read with Leeves and he stormed out afterwards basically going "Yeah ok do it"

My favorite stories itt are the ones about Kelsey Grammer being even more of an insufferable prat than Frasier Crane was.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want a new series where it turns out Frasier was just something imagined by a bloated old conservative ham of an actor who falls off a stage in the moment he hits the ground.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
flesh is burning dananananana

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I hope they don't gently caress up the reboot as badly as they hosed up OG Frasier with the awful Niles and Daphne nonsense.

My idea was to have Niles get together with Poppy who was the "insufferable airhorn" around everybody except Niles, the idea being she would be her usual "QUACKQUACKQUACK" when he was out of earshot but demure and near silent when she was with him so he never saw it, meanwhile Frasier was driven batshit insane from being in her company. I feel that could have had some mileage.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

supernatural blonde posted:

I hope they don't gently caress up the reboot as badly as they hosed up OG Frasier with the awful Niles and Daphne nonsense.

My idea was to have Niles get together with Poppy who was the "insufferable airhorn" around everybody except Niles, the idea being she would be her usual "QUACKQUACKQUACK" when he was out of earshot but demure and near silent when she was with him so he never saw it, meanwhile Frasier was driven batshit insane from being in her company. I feel that could have had some mileage.

And then frasier tries to record her so Niles can hear it and instead ends up taping something that devastates Niles or just makes Frasier look terrible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A Frasier reboot where he is a YouTube personality that unintentionally gets branded Alt-Right and he has to go out of his way to denounce Nazis and Incels and debate Peter Jordanson and Shep Benpiro

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bust Rodd posted:

A Frasier reboot where he is a YouTube personality that unintentionally gets branded Alt-Right and he has to go out of his way to denounce Nazis and Incels and debate Peter Jordanson and Shep Benpiro

"Frasier Gets Cancelled"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want a new series where it turns out Frasier was just something imagined by a bloated old conservative ham of an actor who falls off a stage in the moment he hits the ground.

I tried to find clips of his attempt at a right-wing TV network on Youtube, but they seem to have disappeared.

Does anyone know the actual story of that? This was a few years ago, and I definitely didn't imagine "Right to Laugh" and the really awful "Health care? No thanks, Obama. My dental plan is to chew on the side that doesn't hurt" joke.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

with very few exceptions daphne and niles together were really fine and the suggestion to 'fix' that with more poppy is so staggering that i'm assuming it must be a master-level troll

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
reboot is frasier in college where he starts a pirate radio station, and its also a undeclared reboot with the entire frasier cast

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

datajugend posted:

reboot is frasier in college where he starts a pirate radio station, and its also a undeclared reboot with the entire frasier cast

Does that mean we'll get another episode with everyone fawning over Adam Sandler?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
reboot is frasier lives in a computer world and must defend mainframe from intrusive & destructive video games

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

lol but posted:

reboot is frasier lives in a computer world and must defend mainframe from intrusive & destructive video games
"Hello Mainframe, I'm listening"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fools! It's been in front of us all along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwstgNMbOA

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Bust Rodd posted:

Yikes. Too close to the especially bad episode of the unwanted New WKRP in Cincinnati where they had a parody right-wing radio guy named...

Ready...

Lash Rambo.

That's some good writing there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You've all been spelling Frajer wrong for a long time.

He should know. He's Frajer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's the accepted cyrillic spelling of Crane. Because we all know the Cranes descend from russian thieves.

Or would it be Crané like that time Maris was ashamed that she would be lumped in with Fraj.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Russian was the grandmother, right? She married Noah Crane if memory serves

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i like that late episode with all of frasier's exes and his mom because it's like the only time frasier acknowledges the ~~zany~~ level of gun violence around that season of cheers

iirc it's something like sam gets a gun pulled on him (i think possibly twice in a single episode, also i think he shoots his self in he butt lol), hester pulls a gun on diane, and then the season premiere of the next season has fras pulling a heater on sam again

so to see hester trying to be like "none of you could live up to how cool i was" and diane shout YOU PULLED A GUN ON ME THE FIRST TIME WE MET! was pretty cathartic lol

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
"Фрейзер Крэйн" (Freijzer Krejn if im transliterating correctly) is how his name is spelled in Russian translations of Frasier apparently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Martin saying Lillith was worse than Maris is pretty weird considering everything we later learn about Maris. But then again, Maris at least seems to try to be pleasant in social occasions, and most of her issues seem to stem from a LOT of mental issues that she legitimately can't help, while Lillith is deliberately cold and rude despite knowing better and being perfectly capable of at least trying to be pleasant. (and funnily enough tends to end up failing as badly as Frasier)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Martin saying Lillith was worse than Maris is pretty weird considering everything we later learn about Maris. But then again, Maris at least seems to try to be pleasant in social occasions, and most of her issues seem to stem from a LOT of mental issues that she legitimately can't help, while Lillith is deliberately cold and rude despite knowing better and being perfectly capable of at least trying to be pleasant. (and funnily enough tends to end up failing as badly as Frasier)

Lilith is a goddamn smokeshow and legitimately funny when verbally sparring with Frasier.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

love to see her sing and dance those gams

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i think the actress played herself in a cameo on some other sitcom and said of lillith "that bitch nets me a new beamer every couple of years" CLASSIC meta

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i think the actress played herself in a cameo on some other sitcom and said of lillith "that bitch nets me a new beamer every couple of years" CLASSIC meta

I specifically remember that happening on Will & Grace. Jack and Karen ran into her randomly somewhere, and just gushed over her, calling her Lilith.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Martin saying Lillith was worse than Maris is pretty weird considering everything we later learn about Maris.
Yeah, pretty much what you said. Maris was a wet handshake away from total psychological/immunological collapse. Even if she was annoyingly helpless and priggish, it was hard to take her seriously.

Lilith is a loving beast. Brilliant, uptight, doesn't give a gently caress and with the wit to make what she says sting -- (she holds on to the language in Niles and Maris' wedding vows for years so she can throw back their cloying prose mockingly). Lady is fierce and fiercely independent and doesn't have any patience if she's not in the mood.

Apparently this is terrifying when voiced by a woman because a lot of her quirks made it over to Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory and he's just oh so "loveable" despite being worse in every way.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 5, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

please don't use "sheldon" and "lovable" in the same sentence in this, a thread about Frasier, an actually good show

Lilith is great because she is an socially terrible cold jerk from her introduction in Cheers and seems to just refine how classy and witty of a cold jerk she is with age.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FilthyImp posted:

Apparently this is terrifying when voiced by a woman because a lot of her quirks made it over to Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory and he's just oh so "loveable" despite being worse in every way.

...wait, people find Sheldon charming? :stare:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ugh please stop, I'm begging you all, this is one of my safe spaces from that horror of a gently caress poo poo show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

love to see her sing and dance those gams

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How much of that is just that Martin has spent more time around Lillith? He has to talk to Lillith when she appears with his grandson. Is there even anything that suggests Martin has seen Maris since her wedding day with Niles? I'd find the woman who insults me in my home more annoying that the weird woman I only ever hear about second-hand.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

How much of that is just that Martin has spent more time around Lillith? He has to talk to Lillith when she appears with his grandson. Is there even anything that suggests Martin has seen Maris since her wedding day with Niles? I'd find the woman who insults me in my home more annoying that the weird woman I only ever hear about second-hand.

they all run into her on the cruise and in a few other episodes, just because the audience doesn't see her doesn't mean martin doesn't

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
They do make a point about how Maris avoids Crane family functions, so he probably doesn't see her that much.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
He does see her more than Lilith though, at least early on. A bunch of the running gags in the show about her are him or Fraiser incredulously saying something insane about her and Niles being like 'oh its normal that she literally blows away in the breeze, happens all the time'

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Didn't Martin live with Niles before the first episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

what? no

niles visited him once a week-ish