Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

VibrantPareidolia posted:

https://twitter.com/ArtofLostandCan/status/1133009611601174529
Feels like Nickelodeon's had a whole bunch of shorts and pilots recently but I haven't heard of any of them getting greenlit for full series. Then again maybe we only get to see the pilots posted online because they didn't make it? The stuff that's actually in development would be under NDAs I imagine.

It shouldn't have taken me as long as it did to realize the lizard's voice is Sokka from Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JesslmcJessica/status/1133054350912249856?s=19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many early 20somethings are going to end up DVR-ing loving Blue's Clues. The number will be unfortunately high I bet.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weird to have that strong of a baseline.

One of these days, I want Dave Tennant to get his own show and then hire David Tennant to star in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

What in the fresh hell

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a new Blue's Clues series, it doesn't seem that odd a thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looks better than whatever they are doing with Dora the Explorer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8t5PxB4aVk

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
*before i click the link*

oh you mean the aged-up teen/YA Dora?

*see link*

what the chirst.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm just going to pretend it's the collegehumor one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Looks better than whatever they are doing with Dora the Explorer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8t5PxB4aVk

Remember: Dora the Explorer came out in 2000 and ended in 2014. From all appearances, the target demo would presumably be tweens, but for all I know it could be a too soon sort of attempt to cash in on nostalgia since anyone old enough to have watched it when it first premiered is at least in their 20s.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Blue is still a puppy. Is this the kids version of Let the Right One In?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a new Blue's Clues series, it doesn't seem that odd a thing.

The new guy has a weird energy that I'm unsure about and CGI Blue looks kind of horrifying

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It feels like Nick is only capable of properly handling TMNT and keeping Spongebob alive. Anything else they own is badly to horribly managed.

Yeah, that TMNT hasn't fallen to the same crap that did in Power Rangers, Winx Club and various other Mega Brands (Including their own, looking at you Avatar) is something of a small miracle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Until pretty recently Eastman and Laird still owned the IP IIRC, and it certainly has had its low points; the live-action series comes to mind. (funnily enough that had a crossover with Power Rangers)

I think Nick knows that TMNT is their one franchise that can rival Spongebob for popularity and marketability and don't skimp on the budget. Also seems like they're quite willing to do ongoing continuity with it and ultimately let it end to start anew, which is a pattern it's established pretty steadily similar to Transformers, and is quite sensible especially for a toy-selling show.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I guess I'm the only one in here who thinks the new 'Blue's Clues' looks pretty good. Yeah, I'll be that guy in his twenties who watches this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

PizzaProwler posted:

I guess I'm the only one in here who thinks the new 'Blue's Clues' looks pretty good. Yeah, I'll be that guy in his twenties who watches this.

Have fun, I guess. Sorry, but what exactly do you get from it? Is it the intense plot, the deep world building, or the dramatic characters?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Have fun, I guess. Sorry, but what exactly do you get from it? Is it the intense plot, the deep world building, or the dramatic characters?

Listen, when Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper had Paprika it was a landmark for storytelling in the medium you motherfucker :v:

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Anybody reading the Avatar/Korra comics? Some of them really miss the mark, but the latest ones from both sides are pretty interesting (with the latest Avatar one dealing with a bender vs non bender situation, and the latest Korra one dealing with the remnants of Kuvira's big ol' Earth Empire).

Plus the fact they're coming out with a Kyoshi book pretty soon gives me hope people are gonna realize the 'expanded universe' potential Avatar has. The fact people haven't expanded it a la the Star Wars EU is really a shame.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh. Could do without Viacom throwing out 20 years of avatar stuff to do an also-ran version of selfsame in the future.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks for the heads up; I didn't know a new volume had started. Pretty good way to make the story thematically relevant to today. Also liked the callback to the Dai Li brainwashing methods at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I can only hope getting high is involved.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

stratofarius posted:

Anybody reading the Avatar/Korra comics? Some of them really miss the mark, but the latest ones from both sides are pretty interesting (with the latest Avatar one dealing with a bender vs non bender situation, and the latest Korra one dealing with the remnants of Kuvira's big ol' Earth Empire).

Plus the fact they're coming out with a Kyoshi book pretty soon gives me hope people are gonna realize the 'expanded universe' potential Avatar has. The fact people haven't expanded it a la the Star Wars EU is really a shame.

Korra, (and the M. Night Shyamalan movie) kind of killed any potential future for the franchise. I know some people argue that it allegedly got better for the third season. Regardless if that is true or not, it doesn't mean anything if nobody watched it. The ratings tanked hard when compared to the premiere episode.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

It'll make for soothing background tv.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stratofarius posted:

I've read some of the Avatar ones and found them to be a mixed bag before dropping them, I never even knew there were Korra ones until reading this post. Tried a few and found them to be baaaad, but I never liked Korra that much in the first place, so maybe I'm predisposed to disliking the comics. If you like it, you do you.

As for an EU, I'm kind of glad there hasn't been a lot on that front? I feel like, much like Star Wars, the more of Avatar that's left to the imagination, the better. Spelling out exactly what happened to all these characters that we've only barely heard of sounds like a road that pretty much only leads to a bunch joyless bickering about plot holes that this creates in the original material.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/AlanIturiel/status/1134932148274810880

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My Spanish is getting better. I understood 40% of that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Has any more recent IP created a star wars-like EU? Maybe I'm just not aware enough of trends in novels, but I feel like these days most people want to maintain more creative control over their new IP. It's the same reason why so much media today features characters created in the 70s when most creators weren't entitled to benefit from the successes of their old works.

Of course, on the other side of things, the Star Wars EU only really got chugging in the 90s, long after no movies, cartoons, action figures, or videogames had come out for a while. I poked around for a bit, and it looks like it may have been the novels that rekindled interest for the the special editions? There's gotta be an interesting story in there. But it sounds like what was important was that the IP had run its course and was lying fallow, and the rightsholder wasn't worried about the IP getting somehow tainted by whatever novelist he was licensing out to, so new writers got the chance to be creative with old material they were already fans of. More active IPs tend to be way more cautious.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I remember reading one of the Avatar comics and not really liking it. The big reveal being that Zuko's mom willingly threw away her memories and face and then had a different family was extremely hosed up.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Korra, (and the M. Night Shyamalan movie) kind of killed any potential future for the franchise. I know some people argue that it allegedly got better for the third season. Regardless if that is true or not, it doesn't mean anything if nobody watched it. The ratings tanked hard when compared to the premiere episode.

Your point would probably be more salient if we weren't talking about the same franchise that's getting a big-budget live action remake on Netflix next year or so. That's not what happens to franchises that die because of unpopularity. Fact is, Nickelodeon was what killed the franchise. They were never fans of longform storytelling that precluded the option of doing reruns out of order, so they mismanaged the hell out of the property.

Even back when ATLA was airing they made incredibly poor scheduling decisions and were by all accounts rather difficult to deal with on the studio level. I imagine this would've put a damper on any desire to pitch another Avatar show. I also don't think it's a coincidence that neither of the creators were really involved with Viacom after Korra in any capacity, until recently with the remake news.

Anyway, on the topic of Avatar comics, they're basically official fanfiction. And I mean that in a bad way, because the writing, the characterizations, the stories themselves are all kind of bad. I haven't read nearly all of them but the ones I did were dire. Also bending doesn't work without motion. Which is kind of a huge problem considering that's literally the most important aspect of the franchise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Has any more recent IP created a star wars-like EU?

Doctor Who maybe? Lots of spin-offs since the revival, with comics, books, audio plays, etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avatar TLA low-key seems to have been the predecessor for modern cartoons; heavy continuity and character development focus, an arc-based structure with the status quo being shaken up significantly between seasons, and a relatively small ensemble cast that slowly grows.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Avatar TLA low-key seems to have been the predecessor for modern cartoons; heavy continuity and character development focus, an arc-based structure with the status quo being shaken up significantly between seasons, and a relatively small ensemble cast that slowly grows.

Don't forget having that one episode that everyone in the fandom seems to hate. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

amigolupus posted:

Don't forget having that one episode that everyone in the fandom seems to hate. :v:

What’s the generally most hated ATLA episode?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The_Doctor posted:

What’s the generally most hated ATLA episode?

Great Divide, I believe.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The most impressive and best aspect of Avatar was the thoughtfulness of the character arcs. Every main character and almost every secondary character has their own plot for the whole series and that's incredible in any medium or genre.

It's actually kind of a shame imo that all of the Avatar-likes that I've familiar with don't copy that aspect and instead range from okaaaaay to really bad with this.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I would argue that it gave the world a blueprint for a specific type of cartoon, but one that only a few shows really utilized. Most shows stuck to being episodic, only hinting at continuity or slowly building it over the course of the series and only now it feels like that trend may be changing somewhat. It's not really a surprise since networks prefer less continuity overall and a show like ATLA was an incredibly costly venture at the time (hell, even today it still kind of is) so despite its viewership draw, everyone else would've been rather wary of trying to copy from it.

If anything, Adventure Time was the era defining cartoon until recently. A simple but appealing art style that's efficient for animation and allows for experimentation, continuity and lore that's lurking in the background and allows for fandom theorycrafting, a storyboard-driven writing process that allows the show to be as serious or as goofy as it wants to and the occasional heavier episode that somewhat changes the status quo. Even the tone is more in line with newer cartoons; ATLA was somewhat serious as a baseline but AT was primarily a comedy.

About the only thing it didn't do was the noticeable shifts between seasons, which seems like a trend that popped up later that AT did try to emulate at times, but mostly failed to commit to.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 3, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

God, Avatar: TLA was such an amazing show. One day when my hand injury heals fully, I'll write a long rear end essay on why it was so awesome and how every single one of its successors have failed to capture the magic.

Ruflux posted:

Your point would probably be more salient if we weren't talking about the same franchise that's getting a big-budget live action remake on Netflix next year or so. That's not what happens to franchises that die because of unpopularity. Fact is, Nickelodeon was what killed the franchise. They were never fans of longform storytelling that precluded the option of doing reruns out of order, so they mismanaged the hell out of the property.

Even back when ATLA was airing they made incredibly poor scheduling decisions and were by all accounts rather difficult to deal with on the studio level. I imagine this would've put a damper on any desire to pitch another Avatar show. I also don't think it's a coincidence that neither of the creators were really involved with Viacom after Korra in any capacity, until recently with the remake news.

Anyway, on the topic of Avatar comics, they're basically official fanfiction. And I mean that in a bad way, because the writing, the characterizations, the stories themselves are all kind of bad. I haven't read nearly all of them but the ones I did were dire. Also bending doesn't work without motion. Which is kind of a huge problem considering that's literally the most important aspect of the franchise.

Was TLA a ratings success for Nick? My anecdotal and internet limited interaction led me to think it was super popular, but then again, Okami for the PS2 was popular with the internet, and it only sold 12 copies. It would explain why Nick aired episodes at the most random times back in the day. On the other hand, they also gave it the Spongebob treatment in that there were constant TLA marathons as well.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Was TLA a ratings success for Nick? My anecdotal and internet limited interaction led me to think it was super popular, but then again, Okami for the PS2 was popular with the internet, and it only sold 12 copies. It would explain why Nick aired episodes at the most random times back in the day. On the other hand, they also gave it the Spongebob treatment in that there were constant TLA marathons as well.

It had to be. Otherwise there's no way Nick would've greenlit seasons two and three, considering the $1 million per episode budget (averaged over the season). We don't unfortunately have complete viewer figures, but the few that are available from season 3 seem to corroborate this theory: The Day of the Black Sun had 3.77 million viewers, while every episode we have figures for after that did better (3.97 for The Boiling Rock, over 4 million for the two pre-finale episodes and 5.59 for the finale). I'm too lazy to look at comparable historical ratings but I'm going to guess that those are pretty good figures for Nick. Spongebob is obviously in whole another league, though and live actions shows completely incomparable to cartoons.

e: I lied. Looks like ATLA's peak actually quite handily beat Spongebob's 2008 peak, which is funny considering how it's still seen as Nick's foundation and a reliable performer that'll likely never be off the air completely.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 3, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avatar was pretty huge at the time and well, it got a live action movie and sequel series, even if both were extremely poorly executed. (the Avatar movie seems like it was one of those ideas that was good on paper but people hadn't yet realised M Night Shamalamadingdong had begun plumbing new depths of terribleness) Spongebob is a juggernaut but Avatar was able to compete. It's probably pretty popular on streaming now too, since as I said it was ahead of its time and suits that format.

ed: Yeah, that's actually not that surprising. Spongebob is just easy to show reruns off all day every day since it doesn't have any continuity and is pretty lowest-common-denominator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Then again Book 3 of The Last Airbender got a hosed up release schedule (like Korra's!).