Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
On the NBC Sports Gold Indycar package's race replay, you have to watch the side-by-side commercials, and during the full screen ones they just drop this for the duration instead of skipping them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That’s the first ratings increase for the race in many many years I think. It’s been sliding every year for like 20 years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/simonpagenaud/status/1133028778140155904

simon is cool

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cygni posted:

That’s the first ratings increase for the race in many many years I think. It’s been sliding every year for like 20 years.

I could have sworn it got a huge bump in 2016 for the 100th running but that tweet and wikipedia say otherwise, wtf

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1133013819079499776

Top 10 markets:
1) Indy: 10.98
2) Dayton: 9.8
3) Sacramento: 7.9
4) Cincinnati: 7.3
5) Ft. Myers-Naples: 7.3
6) West Palm Beach: 6.9
7) Louisville: 6.8
8) Columbus: 6.4
9) Richmond: 6.3
10) Tulsa: 6.2

Sacramento feels like the odd one out. Is it a Rossi thing? Maybe Kyle Kaiser?

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 27, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

Sacramento feels like the odd one out. Is it a Rossi thing? Maybe Kyle Kaiser?

the area's a bit more "blue collar" and it's north of where Sonoma is, so could be crowds that know and have gone to both NASCAR and IndyCar in the past? JR is also a NorCal guy too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, Pippa quietly had a good race, yesterday.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

She did! Kept her nose clean and finished 16th, solid work by the team.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The indy market is time delayed but was live for the 100th.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Banquet is live on NBC Gold, they're just simulcasting the local feed.

Live stream (thanks Minto)
https://www.wthr.com/live-stream

Bentai fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 28, 2019

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Trip Report: My first Indy 500

I was at the pit entrance. H stand section 4, right where the pit entrance is, a little too far away from most of the real pit road action. Even Ericsson biffing it was a little too far down to catch a good look at but I was directly in front of one of the TV screens so I got to see everything in replay at least. I think if I went again I'd rather be closer to turn 1 to see some passing, and pay up for a covered seat. This was my first Indy 500 and my first Indy race period, not sure if/when I'll go back but it was a pretty good thrill to see it in person. I only question a return because I am from Massachusetts and I did 1,946 miles round trip and it was a total bumrush to get out and back. I was super concerned about the weather and almost decided to cancel but just said gently caress it, at least they'll probably start it and I'll get to see that.

I followed the advice of this thread, did not go for a parking pass, and totally lucked out in the parking department. On a whim I just followed like 5 or 6 cars that all pulled out of traffic down a side street, they looked like they knew something I didn't, and sure enough there was this little patch of grass about 1 mile from the track that people were pulling up on. I'm guessing I could have gotten closer but this spot was free and, also lucky for me, next to some guys that go every year and showed me a little shortcut on some train tracks to get to the track. I also sat in essentially zero traffic all day which was amazing.

I got super lucky with my seat too. My entire row was completely empty until about the national anthem where like 4 or 5 people jumped in on the opposite end from me. There were also not many people in the row behind me or in front of me so I was able to sit comfortably for the whole thing. I can't imagine those stands fully packed out, it must be horribly uncomfortable to sit on top of each other like that.

There were a few things that I found interesting. I thought the cars were actually quieter than I thought they would be in person. I saw a lot of people with ear protection and got mildly nervous about it but when it started I realized it wasn't that bad. Even when the field got a little spread out and there were cars almost constantly driving by it wasn't like deafening. Really the bass coming from the loving Snake Pit was bothering me more than the car noise. I did not realize that was basically an all day rave. It was weird seeing like nice Indiana families coming in for a lovely day of racing alongside half naked girls wearing mesh or less than a bikini, in full make up, covered in glitter ready to rage all day. I also thought it was interesting that this multi billion dollar facility had the same trough urinals that local New England short tracks have but I guess tradition is super important to the 500.

All in all I think I dropped like $650 including my ticket, gas, hotels, food, beer and a T-shirt.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1133370494156234754

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahah

No.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lmao, what leverage?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NASCAR's leadership is incredibly dumb, but this seems beyond even them.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This is just some dip proposing this and not an actual thing anyway, at least as far as I can tell.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This was the first real month of May that I remember Helio being a complete non-factor but his race was definitely boned from the pit stop fuckup. He's still at 3 and conceivably doesn't have problem getting a sponsor so I can't see Roger letting him go without at least a celebratory last run.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

And in continued Bad Media Takes:
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1133365254187036672

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

that might be dumbest sentence ive ever read

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Have good stuff instead:
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1133360577500372994?s=19

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Idiots are still protesting the Detroit GP. Including one fuckwit who says:

quote:

“This is a privatized use,” Birnbaum said of the race. “A decision is being made to sacrifice irreplaceable parkland that has been held in trust. To me, this is no different than the Detroit Institute of Art entertaining selling off artwork.”

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2019/05/detroit-grand-prix-indycar-belle-isle-access-controversy/590041/

Anyone else going to the race next week? I'll be there on Saturday, but not Sunday.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

drgitlin posted:

Anyone else going to the race next week? I'll be there on Saturday, but not Sunday.

As long as the owners of the island (State of Michigan itself) continues to make a profit off the race (they do), the race will be there forever.

I'll be sure to hunt down some NIMBY's while I'm there Fri-Sun. My gf and our friends will be there Saturday for part of the day and I owe you a beer :beerpal:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KingShibby posted:

As long as the owners of the island (State of Michigan itself) continues to make a profit off the race (they do), the race will be there forever.

I'll be sure to hunt down some NIMBY's while I'm there Fri-Sun. My gf and our friends will be there Saturday for part of the day and I owe you a beer :beerpal:

OK, ping me on Saturday if you want to meet up.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

The island had a poo poo-ton of permanent improvements and upgrades to facilities because of the few days a year the race takes up. Without that, there would be no Belle Isle in the first place. Plus, it generates a lot of money for a Detroit economy (especially the business economy) that could still use it.

The positives far outweigh the negatives and always will.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

WindyMan posted:

The island had a poo poo-ton of permanent improvements and upgrades to facilities because of the few days a year the race takes up. Without that, there would be no Belle Isle in the first place. Plus, it generates a lot of money for a Detroit economy (especially the business economy) that could still use it.

The positives far outweigh the negatives and always will.

You know that, and I know that, and now the author of that piece knows it because I tweeted it at him earlier, but idiot NIMBYs don't know that. Or don't care?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

WindyMan posted:

Plus, it generates a lot of money for a Detroit economy (especially the business economy) that could still use it.

Last year’s pace car wreck was definitely a boon to one of the local auto body repair shops. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bigbillystyle posted:

I followed the advice of this thread, did not go for a parking pass, and totally lucked out in the parking department. On a whim I just followed like 5 or 6 cars that all pulled out of traffic down a side street, they looked like they knew something I didn't, and sure enough there was this little patch of grass about 1 mile from the track that people were pulling up on. I'm guessing I could have gotten closer but this spot was free and, also lucky for me, next to some guys that go every year and showed me a little shortcut on some train tracks to get to the track. I also sat in essentially zero traffic all day which was amazing.

I've never parked for free but this year was easily my best yet for getting into / out of the track. Paid $20 to park in someone's yard just north of the Speedway high school on race day. A bit of a walk, but after I got into the car I don't think I stopped until they turned me West on 38th to get to 465N.

Going in, it wouldn't have been worth it to wait on the line from 465S to Crawfordsville, I didn't see it move once in the time it took me to get off at 38th and cross the freeway.

I have literally spent more time waiting to get out of the parking lot at Phoenix (yes, even for the Indycar race nobody showed up to) than I did leaving the Speedway on Sunday.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have literally spent more time waiting to get out of the parking lot at Phoenix (yes, even for the Indycar race nobody showed up to) than I did leaving the Speedway on Sunday.

I normally don't leave IMS until about 2.5 hours after the race, and it still takes me about 20-30 minutes to get to I-465 going down Crawfordsville.

This year wasn't so bad

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Janet Guthrie 30 for 30 is re-airing right now on ESPN and runs again at 2:30am Eastern. I thought it was well done and was surprised at the names who made appearances.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Janet Guthrie 30 for 30 is re-airing right now on ESPN and runs again at 2:30am Eastern. I thought it was well done and was surprised at the names who made appearances.

I enjoyed it.

Also helped me in finding out which rare "USAC" races Indy/ABC has locked away in the vaults (apparently 1976 Phoenix, Trenton exist in decent quality!)

I WISH they could have had Uncle Bobby on after he said the comments then. He changed his mind and was very supportive of her later on.

The one talking point I had a slight disagreement was the mention of Roger Penske not taking a shot on her due to sexism. It's -not- impossible that, that could be the case, but to make Team Penske in any era? It's a challenge. I mean this years champion of the "500" was rumored to be on the outs for quite some time for example.

It's not that Roger Penske could very well be sexist, but it feels like everything that would "go the right way" for a driver he likes to sign is very rare.

Guthrie herself is rather fearless and a trailblazer though. I admire her as a human being and feel in some ways she was 'too good" for Auto Racing not the other way around. Should have been orbiting the moon instead of running SCCA imo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FuzzySkinner posted:

The one talking point I had a slight disagreement was the mention of Roger Penske not taking a shot on her due to sexism. It's -not- impossible that, that could be the case, but to make Team Penske in any era? It's a challenge. I mean this years champion of the "500" was rumored to be on the outs for quite some time for example.

It's not that Roger Penske could very well be sexist, but it feels like everything that would "go the right way" for a driver he likes to sign is very rare.

Guthrie herself is rather fearless and a trailblazer though. I admire her as a human being and feel in some ways she was 'too good" for Auto Racing not the other way around. Should have been orbiting the moon instead of running SCCA imo.

The documentary talks about how she had an offer from Pat Patrick for 1977 and turned it down out of loyalty to Rolla (spoilered for those who haven't seen it yet and don't know like I didn't), which is fascinating because that could've put her in a position to have a better run but shows the character she had. Danica's rear end would've jumped ship if a comparable situation presented itself (and she'd have been right to do so if she so chose).

e- It basically comes down to one of the many fascinating "What if?s" about racing. She "did the right thing", but may have stunted her career as a result.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 29, 2019

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cygni posted:

NASCAR's leadership is incredibly dumb, but this seems beyond even them.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to think NASCAR is arrogant enough to think they'll go along with it, but yeah, I don't think they're actually that cognitively crippled.

...then again, they're simultaneously marketing the Coke Zero 400 as one of their great patriotic traditions and the last July race at Daytona, so :iiam:.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
McLaren won't be full time in 2020. Not surprised.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Frond posted:

https://racer.com/2019/05/29/mclaren-unlikely-to-enter-indycar-full-time-in-2020/
Mclaren now has one and a half DW12/IR18s sitting somewhere, unused. They could potentially recoup some kind of money by grabbing a pay driver and a few extra sponsors, and go racing one or two more times this year.

But nah.

So this leads to my early silly season prediction:
* Helio is not given another shot with Penske, and his one-off seat is offered to Alonso.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 29, 2019

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Frond posted:

IndyCar 2019: McLaren and the 227.5 MPH gently caress You Gearbox

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

https://racer.com/2019/05/29/mclaren-unlikely-to-enter-indycar-full-time-in-2020/
Mclaren now has one and a half DW12/IR18s sitting somewhere, unused. They could potentially recoup some kind of money by grabbing a pay driver and a few extra sponsors, and go racing one or two more times this year.

But nah.

So this leads to my early silly season prediction:
* Helio is not given another shot with Penske, and his one-off seat is offered to Alonso.

I mean when you're hearing poo poo like this

quote:

Following that failure, McLaren Racing CEO Brown believes that the team needs to understand how to get the 500 right before taking on an expanded IndyCar program.

...LITERALLY the best thing you can do is race more often, to get used to the cars, the setups, the ways it works. Specializing on "just" the 500 doesn't help you one iota. It's an excuse, and a bad one, which I guess just makes it funnier? certainly more tragic.

we went from legit rumors a year ago about a possible McLaren-Honda ICS team poaching Scott Dixon, to now this clownshoes nonsense. Bit of a shame.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I think McLaren's shareholders told them no. I don't think Brown is that unbelievably stupid, he's done too good of a job with the F1 team.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If they just could have gotten the paint color correct.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Honestly any leading manufacturer or racing team wanting to get into Indycar is good imo, but if you’re gonna roll in here all arrogant and gently caress up as hard as McLaren did, I’d almost rather they didn’t bother. Almost. The only positive I can see from McLaren and Alonso’s recent venture is the satisfaction I got from hearing them talk a big game and then watching their program (and cars) crash and burn. I say if they don’t wanna run the full season, gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Boomer The Cannon posted:

IndyCar 2019: McLaren and the 227.5 MPH gently caress You Gearbox

yesss