Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

always leave your doctor a bad online review

that's what i mean yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Calibanibal posted:

always leave your doctor a bad online review

Don't bring your gimmick into this thread.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
if you've never seen Adaptation it's a really depressing movie that basically puts all my anxieties on screen and i havent watched it in 15 years but it was homework this week so yay for a good cry sesh :cry:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
My husband has been doing way better since he started on Olanzapine and had his Adderall tapered down. He still has persistent anxiety but the paranoia episodes have largely stopped, so we're at least functional on a day to day basis if not 'normal'. I know things will probably never be normal again, but honestly this is okay for a new baseline because at least he's starting doing the things he likes again (playing video games, going to his boxing gym, etc) and he seems mostly like himself, rather than panicking 24/7.

Also, he got approved for SS disability! :yaycloud: I thought the process was going to be lengthy but it literally took maybe 3 weeks from when I submitted the initial application until we got a catch-up payment deposited in our checking account. We each had to fill out a supplemental questionnaire about how his illness has affected his day to day life and the clearly crazy rear end poo poo he was writing on his form probably helped speed the decision along. I'm starting a new job in a week after being off contract for 4 months and we've talked about hiring someone to spend part of the day with him while I'm gone, like a personal assistant who can make him lunch or help him run errands or whatever, so the SS will help with that.

I am very much looking forward to going back to work! I felt like a live wire that was about to keel over from stress for the last few weeks, now I am just tired and blah all of the time which is absolutely an improvement.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

got any sevens posted:

if you've never seen Adaptation it's a really depressing movie that basically puts all my anxieties on screen and i havent watched it in 15 years but it was homework this week so yay for a good cry sesh :cry:

Have you seen Synechdoche? It turns me to scrapple.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Nobody itt should see Requiem for a Dream. Yikes.

nikosoft posted:

I am very much looking forward to going back to work! I felt like a live wire that was about to keel over from stress for the last few weeks, now I am just tired and blah all of the time which is absolutely an improvement.

hell yeah

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
requiem is too over the top to take seriously

synecdoche was pretty good but not a mainline into my anxieties like adaptation

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Chokes McGee posted:

Nobody itt should see Requiem for a Dream. Yikes.

Seconding this, it's pretty rough

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I like Requiem for a Dream. The soundtrack is phenomenal

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Calibanibal posted:

I like Requiem for a Dream. The soundtrack is phenomenal

It really is. Complete wasteland of emotions at the end though, just bleak af

It's basically TCC: The Movie

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It doesn't really trigger me like some of the other movies people have mentioned, but Sorcerer is my go to for explaining to other people what panic attacks feel like. Just that constant unrelenting tension and total conviction that something is going to go catastrophically wrong any second now.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
a movie about depression, among other things, that you should check out is melancholia

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Finicums Wake posted:

a movie about depression, among other things, that you should check out is melancholia

I tried watching that movie when I was hella, hella depressed and every second of it made my physically uncomfortable, and just skipped through the second half.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Yeah good art is good art but maybe don't watch really depressing films if you're inclined towards being really depressed

there's no reason to do that to yourself

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah good art is good art but maybe don't watch really depressing films if you're inclined towards being really depressed

there's no reason to do that to yourself

i fuckin' love listening to sad poo poo when im way down in the dumps. for reasons passing my understanding (though I'm sure someone has studied it) it makes me feel better. maybe sad-rear end movies do the same for other folks :)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It's nice to know your experience is valid and shared.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

i fuckin' love listening to sad poo poo when im way down in the dumps. for reasons passing my understanding (though I'm sure someone has studied it) it makes me feel better. maybe sad-rear end movies do the same for other folks :)

That's fair. I'm just wary of taking that too far since I hit my tipping point before my hospitalization listening to...

uh...

okay actually it was a happy song so nm! :shobon:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It's nice to know your experience is valid and shared.

:coolfish::hf:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
'burnout' is now classified as a medical condition

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

got any sevens posted:

one step closer to securing my diagnosis of terminal failsonitis.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Anyone ever have those times when you want to do something, but you lack the energy to do it? Like, you're sitting there, and you want to get up and move, or play a video game, or watch a movie, or something, anything but stare straight ahead and think about how drained you are? And even if you force yourself to do something, you get tired and bored of it and you end up quitting?

I got that going on right now. How can I break out of it?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anyone ever have those times when you want to do something, but you lack the energy to do it? Like, you're sitting there, and you want to get up and move, or play a video game, or watch a movie, or something, anything but stare straight ahead and think about how drained you are? And even if you force yourself to do something, you get tired and bored of it and you end up quitting?

Physical movement helps me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

Physical movement helps me.

the first step is the hardest

once you start moving your heartrate will increase and wake you up more. its the same reason i do jumping jacks every hour or so when drinking

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

good 2 kno

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Start with a biological necessity, i.e. get up to go pee. Then get some water and drink it while standing up. Then work up to wandering around the front room, taking a walk around the block, etc.

Also it would be a good idea to get your vitamin D levels checked and either go outside for 15 minutes or, if you're in a dark/grey area, use a light box.

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys
I know it's new but any experiences/thoughs on Vraylar (cariprazine)?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pre-op bebop posted:

I know it's new but any experiences/thoughs on Vraylar (cariprazine)?

I've never heard of it, although I'm desperately trying anagrams to see if you're actually loving with us :v:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
May have talked a Twitter friend out of killing themself. idk, I'm not emotionally or professionally prepared to do this stuff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

May have talked a Twitter friend out of killing themself. idk, I'm not emotionally or professionally prepared to do this stuff.
You don't have to be. Think of it like the oxygen masks in a plane. You secure your own before you help others. This is why SA's policy is to direct people to professional resources.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You don't have to be. Think of it like the oxygen masks in a plane. You secure your own before you help others. This is why SA's policy is to direct people to professional resources.

oh I totally get that. I pushed the crises hotlines and mainly said I plan to talk to them tomorrow. but they said they had a plan so I felt I needed to intervene somehow

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

oh I totally get that. I pushed the crises hotlines and mainly said I plan to talk to them tomorrow. but they said they had a plan so I felt I needed to intervene somehow
If someone has an actionable plan for suicide you should call the police. It's one of two legitimate uses the police have. The other is taking photos of low-speed collisions so you can send the info to your insurance company.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

If someone has an actionable plan for suicide you should call the police. It's one of two legitimate uses the police have. The other is taking photos of low-speed collisions so you can send the info to your insurance company.

This is :siren: MY PERSONAL OPINION AND NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FORUMS :siren: but if you can take them to the hospital and get them to admit themselves it may go a lot better for them. Involuntary commitment is usually more traumatic than voluntary.

OTOH some people need to be held until they're in a better place rather than just check themselves out so idk. Probably call the cops if you're not sure, you don't want to leave that poo poo to chance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

This is :siren: MY PERSONAL OPINION AND NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FORUMS :siren: but if you can take them to the hospital and get them to admit themselves it may go a lot better for them. Involuntary commitment is usually more traumatic than voluntary.

OTOH some people need to be held until they're in a better place rather than just check themselves out so idk. Probably call the cops if you're not sure, you don't want to leave that poo poo to chance.
This is very fair and totally valid, but I have met too many people who hesitate over fear their friend might "get in trouble." Ultimately though it's their call. Just please know you have resources and options.

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

Chokes McGee posted:

I've never heard of it, although I'm desperately trying anagrams to see if you're actually loving with us :v:

Hahaha. It's an antipsychotic for mixed/manic episodes in bipolar I (and schizophrenia). Currently in a mixed one so pdoc is weaning me off Abilify and onto Vraylar. I chickened out tonight and just took the Abilify. We'll see what happens! lol

This year so far has been a roller coaster after being stable for 10+ years. WTF?

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Any of you have suggestions for derailing the rumination sad train at night? No matter how tired I am, the moment I lay down in bed I'm wide awake and just chock full of anxiety. I turn down the lights and relax the hour before, only use my bed for sleep, listened to white noise/music/tv shows/etc, only have my phone in the room and have it set to switch to warm light an hour before bed. I even bought a weighted blanket earlier this year, which wholly recommend, even if it doesn't help with falling asleep. The only things that work for sure are getting wasted or taking some of my emergency Xanax (absolutely never together!!)

I'm not terribly keen on a hypnotic for bed, mostly because I already take enough medication, and every time I mention sleep problems to my prescribing doc, he blames my ADHD medication.

Anyone have something/nighttime ritual that helps?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

All the time. I usually end up lying down and then either get up within a few minutes and do stuff or am out for awhile. It sucks because it's pretty much impossible to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it, and because you miss out on a lot.

Eat This Glob posted:

Same!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Chokes McGee posted:

Having been the one driving people to hospitals, this is very much in agreement with my experiences

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CODChimera posted:

All the time. I usually end up lying down and then either get up within a few minutes and do stuff or am out for awhile. It sucks because it's pretty much impossible to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it, and because you miss out on a lot.

Insomnia of any kind (and rumination is a type of it) generally doesn't cure itself by laying down and going "Sleep. No, this is the time I sleep. Here goes the sleep." (I'm not being pithy here, I've done it a million times without realizing it.)

Get up, walk around a bit, maybe get a snack and read for a while. If you can do so safely, trying meditating/focusing on breathing. Until you feel sleepy, you ain't gonna sleep.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh also there's such a thing as sleep hygiene. Keep your bedroom cool and dark and try to stay away from it during the day. Use it for sleep or :heysexy: but nothing else.

Personally I've never found the above to make a difference for me, but others swear by it. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is very fair and totally valid, but I have met too many people who hesitate over fear their friend might "get in trouble." Ultimately though it's their call. Just please know you have resources and options.

I'd personally be more concerned with them getting murdered by the cops than them getting in trouble. cops by virtue of being the people to do welfare checks and their policy of "shoot first if you're afraid" and suffer no consequences later aren't ideal for people experiencing a mental health crisis imo. That said, if you're cognizant of that and you're truly concerned for someone's safety and you cant check in on them, it is pretty much the only option, sadly.