Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Picked up my S5 yesterday and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Picked up my S5 yesterday and it owns

Yo bring us pics to the Audi thread please. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

skipdogg posted:

People who earn enough money they can afford to buy pristine examples of things that made them happy when they were younger is something that will never end. We tend to like reminders of simpler, happier times in our lives I guess.

I waffle on this all the time. The first car I ever bought was an Integra GS-R. Every once in a while I see one for sale and feel an overwhelming urge to buy it if it's any good at all. Then I remember that this is 2019 and that aside from revving to 8000rpm, a Miata is better in every way I care about for my second car, and a better bargain to boot.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It really is amazing that the PT Cruise was ever made at all. It's such a weird idea.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It really is amazing that the PT Cruise was ever made at all. It's such a weird idea.

A Neon but reëngineered to have a flat floor so it gets the light truck fuel economy requirements, with styling to ride the Prowler coattails? Honestly that seems more standard Chrysler cynicism than anything genuinely weird.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I’m happy the PT Cruiser existed, it was different and interesting in a way that most other early 2000s melted soap bar cars weren’t.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Maybe in the us the PT cruiser was dumb and boring and bad, but in the EU that thing was an exotic bird if paradise

I think it was marketed to and bought by gen x hipsters, the kind of people who drove citroen DS or Saab 900 turbo

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The year is 2050. All passenger cars are self-driving electric crossovers in different sizes and different shades of silver and can only be used with a subscription.

Toyota-PepsiCo releases one that kind of looks like a Mk IV Supra, available in orange, and can not keep them on the shelf.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fiat Chrysler has officially proposed a merger with Renault.

quote:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV proposed a roughly $40 billion merger with French rival Renault SA, a deal that if completed would create the third-largest auto maker by production and scramble an industry that has been seeking scale to cope with fast-globalizing markets and rapidly changing technology.

If Renault and Fiat Chrysler consummate a deal, it would create a car company with annual vehicle production of almost nine million passenger cars and light trucks. Such a combination would rank behind just Volkswagen AG and Toyota Motor Co. but ahead of General Motors Co. Including Renault’s alliance partners, Nissan Motor Co. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp., group output would swell to around 15 million, far ahead of the pack.

[...]

Fiat Chrysler said the deal would eventually deliver more than €5 billion in annual combined cost savings, mainly from sharing vehicle platforms and engineering resources and cooperating in areas such as R&D. It said these cost cuts weren’t based on plant closures—a politically charged issue in both France and Italy where governments have a history of intervention.

[...]

Complicating any deal is a 20-year-old partnership between Renault and Nissan in which they share technology and vehicle parts. Renault owns 43.4% of Nissan, while Nissan owns 15% of Renault. The Renault-Nissan relationship has come under strain as the two sides debate whether to overhaul the cross-shareholding arrangement and how to make joint decisions on future models and technologies.

Renault approached Nissan last month to propose a full-blown merger between the two, but was rebuffed. A merger between Fiat and Renault would shelve those plans, said a person familiar with the Fiat-Renault deal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CornHolio posted:

The more they made, the longer it will take. Look at the Model T and Model A, a clean, running one of those is worth a decent amount.

I don't feel like you can count heavy restorations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

everyone be hating on this but it's actually a good idea, fight me

although the two point five headed monster that will be the Alliance will be uh, interesting
Nissan
FCRA
Mitsubishi

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So, what's the acronym gonna be

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Lord Stimperor posted:

NAMLBA

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

S. H. I. T.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

everyone be hating on this but it's actually a good idea, fight me

although the two point five headed monster that will be the Alliance will be uh, interesting
Nissan
FCRA
Mitsubishi

I think Renault-FCA will drop Nissan like a hot potato the instant it can. The fact that Nissan got Ghosn thrown in jail has surely not gone down well with Renault (nor should it).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drgitlin posted:

I think Renault-FCA will drop Nissan like a hot potato the instant it can. The fact that Nissan got Ghosn thrown in jail has surely not gone down well with Renault (nor should it).

Nissan-FCA-Renault does make sense if you could get the politics to work.

Product split kind of makes sense:
CJD: Trucks, Macho SUVs and fake macho SUVs, big people carrier, Classic American Muscle.
Nissan: Sedans and CUVs
Renault: Small to midsized sedans, CUVs
FIAT: Cheap but more stylish, small urban poo poo
Dacia: Cheap poo poo

You have crossover in Nissan/Renault segments but you basically just split that by the globe. Renault sucks in Asia and North America, Nissan is mediocre in Europe - problem solved. Harmonize the platforms even more (the CUVs are already pretty well there). Double or triple down on Jeep, Dacia and Nissan in LATAM and make FIAT your stylish eurotrash brand only.

It ain't gonna happen, though. No way.

Also pour one out for the homie, Serge M, who wanted this to happen but died too soon. :italy:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You just know that isn't going to work out in practise - you'll get the Jeep brand pushing down into the spot you have Fiat occupying, Renault and Nissan will want pickup trucks, Chyrsler will do a sports car etc etc

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fiat 124 special with the Renault 300hp 1.8

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fiat 124 special with the Renault 300hp 1.8

You're not thinking big enough, friendo.

New Clio V6 with the Alfa Quadrifoglio V6. And available in North America. :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MrChips posted:

You're not thinking big enough, friendo.

New Clio V6 with the Alfa Quadrifoglio V6. And available in North America. :getin:

Hellcat Quest when

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KakerMix posted:

Hellcat Quest when

:shuckyes:

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Uhhh wtf I hope this is not actually what the new G80 looks like

https://www.motor1.com/news/351833/new-genesis-g80-rendered/

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 29, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KakerMix posted:

Hellcat Micra when
:getin:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sits on Pilster posted:

I don't hate that grille and I don't hate those headlights, but holy poo poo I hate it when you put them together in that way.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

reëngineered

Lmao what’s it like to work at the New Yorker, Lance?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not going to look like that. Hyundai doesn't make cars that ugly.

I honestly thought it was a Cadillac at first. I could see GM doing something that terrible.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sits on Pilster posted:

I'm the odd one out then because I don't think this looks bad at all, new Lexus cars look way the gently caress worse.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Supra... good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqxeVxFFnoQ

edit: shitload more talk about the Supra and such: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMJHILJsGLM

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 29, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sits on Pilster posted:

No, it isn't. It's just some random person's render.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sits on Pilster posted:

It looks like a sedan version of that infiniti land porpoise with those headlights. Used to be QX56. I think it's QX80 now for god only knows what reason.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sits on Pilster posted:

that grill has to be a photoshop.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wargames posted:

that grill has to be a photoshop.
It’s a modified version of a promo shot for the current-gen G80, so yes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Charles posted:

No, it isn't. It's just some random person's render.

They have some pretty good details to work with, though:
https://www.motor1.com/news/350301/next-gen-genesis-g80-without-v8/

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wheeee posted:

Supra... good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqxeVxFFnoQ

edit: shitload more talk about the Supra and such: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMJHILJsGLM

Its never been any doubt that it would be a good car, BMW knows how to provide excellent driving dynamics and the engine is pretty good.
The styling and the not being a pseudo-GT 2+2 were going to be the major complaints.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BUT MAH 2JZ

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm fine with the new Supra because now Gazoo Racing have announced they'll be producing a line of heritage parts for the A80 and A70 at some point soon so I can now pay over the top dealer prices for my spares if I want to.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

drgitlin posted:

At the end of the day this is the right answer I think. Various political and financial interests will keep the combined Nissan/Mitsubishi entity separate (and likely independent going forward) and FCA will finish what AMC started regarding a Renault merger.

edit: As even more evidence that Nissan/Mitsubishi is circling the wagons to pull out of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, it looks like Infiniti's HQ is being pulled back to Japan from Hong Kong:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/05/infiniti-moves-back-to-japan/

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 29, 2019

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its never been any doubt that it would be a good car, BMW knows how to provide excellent driving dynamics and the engine is pretty good.
The styling and the not being a pseudo-GT 2+2 were going to be the major complaints.

I think people are mad at it because after an exhaustingly drawn out teaser campaign that was aimed at 90’s-nostalgic car enthusiasts, the car that was finally revealed at the end of it was what appeared to be just a badge-engineered automatic-only Z4. So, to cynical people to whom “Supra” really meant something, it looked like Toyota was trying to pass off a relabeled car for hairdressers as the successor to their halo car. What most people forget is that adjusted for inflation the MK IV would be nearly 90k in 2019 money and nobody would buy it. And the new Supra so far appears to be an objectively good car at a good price point. I would still rather have the M2 though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EnergizerFellow posted:

At the end of the day this is the right answer I think. Various political and financial interests will keep the combined Nissan/Mitsubishi entity separate (and likely independent going forward) and FCA will finish what AMC started regarding a Renault merger.

edit: As even more evidence that Nissan is circling the wagons to pull out of the Alliance, it looks like Infiniti's HG is being pulled back to Japan from Hong Kong:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/05/infiniti-moves-back-to-japan/

Moving Infiniti to HK was not part of any kind of alliance play and was a poo poo idea in the first place. I agree Nissan is circling the wagons and retrenching to Japan, but it's stupid. At this point they need a partner more than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I would be surprised if Nissan existed in 3-5 years.