Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

TheDavies posted:

Given that I think Sae is coded as being lesbian, I would find that more of a violation of her established character than I do Ohya's romance.

i read her as being more ace than anything else, really. Wedded to her job, as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

She's coded as an rear end in a top hat.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Aerdan posted:

i read her as being more ace than anything else, really. Wedded to her job, as it were.

Plausible.

Qrr posted:

She is? How so?

Her height, her hairstyle, but mostly her costuming; like Ohya, and unlike most of the female characters, she wears pants rather than a skirt. There's also the "go get married" scene, which can be read as just referencing her sex but becomes a double insult if she's homosexual.

Yes, I know these are stereotypes. That's pretty much how coding works.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Aerdan posted:

Funky Valentine posted:

She's coded as an rear end in a top hat.

Both these things are true. She’s so obsessed with succeeding in a rigged system that she’s almost as warped as some of the actual villains in the game. I don’t see anything relating to any kind of sexuality from her because it’s one of many things that are irrelevant to her at the moment.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sae: To the Ultimate Prosecutor, [Sex] is [ U S E L E S S ]!!!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Hmm, this anime fffffemale has short hair, acts with confidence, and doesn't try to hit on the protag once. Must be a lesbian. :goonsay:

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!

TheDavies posted:

Plausible.

Her height, her hairstyle, but mostly her costuming; like Ohya, and unlike most of the female characters, she wears pants rather than a skirt. There's also the "go get married" scene, which can be read as just referencing her sex but becomes a double insult if she's homosexual.

When I first saw coding I thought it was literally in the game's files that she was homosexual.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Hmm, this anime fffffemale has short hair, acts with confidence, and doesn't try to hit on the protag once. Must be a lesbian. :goonsay:

only lesbians could possibly wear pants

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shadow Sae is pretty popular with lesbians though. I think it's the eyeshadow.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Geostomp posted:

Both these things are true. She’s so obsessed with succeeding in a rigged system that she’s almost as warped as some of the actual villains in the game. I don’t see anything relating to any kind of sexuality from her because it’s one of many things that are irrelevant to her at the moment.

Personally, I thought her androgynous design relates more to her gender than her sexuality, since a lot of her character conflict revolves around being a woman forced into traditionally-male social roles, both at work and at home. It contrasts well with Shadow Sae, which as a representation of her fantasies is both feminine and powerful, in contrast to her reality of being androgynous/masculine and powerless.

I hadn't thought of Sae as a lesbian before, but now that it's been pointed out I can kind of see it. I don't know if it's intentional, though, because Persona 5 doesn't have a good track record of being nuanced or tasteful about these things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

only lesbians could possibly wear slinky black evening dresses

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Sae expresses zero romantic interest in anyone, and wearing pants does not have the slightest bit to do with someone's sexuality, you weirdos

like, what the hell, people

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

GeneX posted:

Sae expresses zero romantic interest in anyone, and wearing pants does not have the slightest bit to do with someone's sexuality, you weirdos

Some people like to read way too much into things. Sae is a careerwoman first and foremost. She barely takes time to sleep and eat. Romance isn’t remotely on her radar.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Not totally sure this is much of an improvement over EphebeChat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheDavies posted:

I think you're reading way too much into things given Sae's whole thing was being tied to her crushing career; it was even the theme of her palace.

Does Sae even share any scenes with another woman that isn't one of the Phantom Thieves?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Did I mention earlier how neat it was that Shadow Sae's battle mode is just an even edgier take on Thief Makoto's design?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MightyPretenders posted:

Did I mention earlier how neat it was that Shadow Sae's battle mode is just an even edgier take on Thief Makoto's design?

I never thought about it that way but that makes a lot of sense and is a cute little detail.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MightyPretenders posted:

Huh, so it is!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

Well, you know how it is. When there's little media featuring people like you, you've gotta make it up or interpret things differently. Remember how people thought Kanji was gay- or maybe bi?- for like, years? And really, who's gonna come to your house force you to stop? Couple other examples I remember was 'Samus is Trans' and Tracer and Widowmaker before it turned out the former did have a girlfriend that they took a year and a half to mention. I can't think of any other ones besides those right now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

MightyPretenders posted:

I never noticed before now, but you’re right. I guess leather and spikes run in the family.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

RareAcumen posted:

Well, you know how it is. When there's little media featuring people like you, you've gotta make it up or interpret things differently. Remember how people thought Kanji was gay- or maybe bi?- for like, years? And really, who's gonna come to your house force you to stop? Couple other examples I remember was 'Samus is Trans' and Tracer and Widowmaker before it turned out the former did have a girlfriend that they took a year and a half to mention. I can't think of any other ones besides those right now.

headcanon is great and makes cishet people mad so it's fun

using inaccurate stereotypes to determine a fictional character's sexuality, when she indicates pretty much nothing in any direction, is not great

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sae is a lesbian and my girlfriend

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
sae is a COP u traitors

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

She's a lawyer, that's slightly less bad!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

She's a prosecutor in Japan, that's the worst kind.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At the end Sae does know what a monster she was and became a defense attorney.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 29, 2019

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Jesus Christ there's a lot of hot takes in this weird loving thread

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
You can tell Sae's not gay because the game isn't constantly laughing at her expanse by having her openly creep on underage girls.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Grapplejack posted:

She's a prosecutor in Japan, that's the worst kind.

Look, if Ace Attorney has taught me anything, they're either the worst villains imaginable or tragic figures making very stupid decisions based on said tragedy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

At the end Sae does what a monster she was and became a defense attorney.

Drakenel posted:

Look, if Ace Attorney has taught me anything, they're either the worst villains imaginable or tragic figures making very stupid decisions based on said tragedy.
Dammit, now I wanna replay Ace Attorney.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RareAcumen posted:

I never understood the "Kanji is gay" interpretation because that means the game is essentially saying "Everyone is correct for labeling him as gay because he likes to knit and cook.", which isn't a very positive message at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol I "avoided" that joke to stop a derail and now we're in an entirely different one

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I never understood the "Kanji is gay" interpretation because that means the game is essentially saying "Everyone is correct for labeling him as gay because he likes to knit and cook.", which isn't a very positive message at all.

A Persona game with a negative message about LGBT people? Well I never...

Anyway the Sae is a secret lesbian stuff is really weird particularly when it's clear as day that her whole fuckin' deal as a character is the stress and seeming hopelessness of taking on the responsibility of what is expected of adult men in a very heavily patriarchal society as a woman who's implied to be in her early-to-mid 20's. She's the head of the house and has to provide for both herself and Makato, and she's working in a very hyper competitive and male-dominated field surrounded by older male colleagues who treat her dismissively. At the onset of the game this opressive environment has worn her down and crushed her ideals to the point that her cognition has been warped into what you see in her palace: someone who sees it all as an inherently unfair system that you either rig to your advantage or lose everything trying to beat fairly. Her unraveling more of Joker's story and how he and his friends were faced with similar unfair and seemingly hopeless situations thrust on them by society, but instead of caving or becoming corrupted they managed to stay true to their ideals and fight against injustice with their heads held high, which reignites Sae's own idealism and flips her to Joker's side.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If Sae was an Ace Attorney character, what would her name be?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sae Yanara, ace prosecutor.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Grapplejack posted:

I thought she was gay!?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

:perfect:

Is the protag Maaku Miwords?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Nought Akira.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wyatt A. Card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Morgana Hotinruff, a kid in a cat costume

Ann Takafoto, an up-and-coming model

Mako Runfrit, a nosy student with a motorcycle

and the ultimate prosecutor, Gorot.