Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

U-DO Burger posted:

NSMB 4-player multiplayer was a sublime experience and I wish I could experience it again for the first time

we got sidelined for like half an hour because I had too much fun throwing my swearing friends off the skeleton roller coaster

Oh, I loved the poo poo out of it, but I also heard a constant stream of complaints and could never convince my friends to play with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

NSMB 4 player was a punishing but fun experience in that "shared tragedy' kind of way. Now super Mario 3d world, that was an INCREDIBLE 4 player experience and I wouldn't complain if that game made it to the switch

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Zelder posted:

Now super Mario 3d world, that was an INCREDIBLE 4 player experience and I wouldn't complain if that game made it to the switch

With Mario Maker almost here, that's basically the only must-play Wii U title that's still stranded on that console, isn't it?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Takoluka posted:

What I don't understand is why online multiplayer in Mario Maker 2 is the last straw. Like it's Mario Maker, who cares?

I probably wouldn’t have even used an online with friends feature but I still find the omission baffling. It’s a $60 game that is effectively useless if you don’t also buy a $20 yearly subscription on top of it. The least Nintendo could do is not half-rear end the online part of an online only game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

With Mario Maker almost here, that's basically the only must-play Wii U title that's still stranded on that console, isn't it?

W101, #FE depending on who you ask

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I'm playing Mario Maker 1 and... can you really not rebind the SMW / NSMB spin jump to the A button? What the gently caress?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 29, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like people asking why this is the straw breaking people are ignoring the fact this is multiple straws now.

Paying 20 bucks for basically nothing.
Smash online being bad.
No online with Mario Party.
Splatoon not letting people play together with friends on the same team

Now this. It's all adding up and now boiling over because it's just so loving dumb, man :sigh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Takoluka posted:

What I don't understand is why online multiplayer in Mario Maker 2 is the last straw. Like it's Mario Maker, who cares? ... Suddenly, people want that?

It's the whiplash. If they had never added online multiplayer I don't think people would have been nearly upset. They announced online multiplayer and it was a total out of left field thing no-one really expected the game to have. So a lot of people started getting excited for the possibilities, only to have the rug pulled out.

Like, I was really excited for MM2 regardless, but I kinda had the thought in the back of my head of how i played maybe all of 20 hours of the first game because I lacked creativity to make my own levels and was lazy about seeking levels to play. Online Multi with friends seemed like a great way to keep me coming back.

Heck, I've probably watched more Mario Maker then I've played it, and the potential of streamers and poo poo playing online co-op could have been cool too.

Like, it's just such a baffling decision. I think that's what bugs me more then anything. Online Multi with friends is very much possible, they just chose not to do it in favor of random matchmaking? Why? You think Nintendo would value letting you play with friends over leaderboards. It's somehow even dumber then when they decided to give Mario Party a super half-assed online mode.

I don't know if it's the last straw for me, but I don't blame anyone for being super turned off by Nintedo's idiocy.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Splatoon not letting people play together with friends on the same team
At loving least splatoon lets you join the same drat lobby. It's far more reasonable to not allow for team stacking because it'd make the game worse for almost everyone else. "Leaderboards" is about the dumbest justification to not have friend parties/lobbies.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 29, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Splatoon basically gates you from eating all the kids alive in Turf War with a Rank X squad, so I can understand the friend thing in that regard. During Splatfest, Salmon Run, and League Battles, you can team up with friends ad nauseum without issue. I never hear anyone mention that, though!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Conveniently for me, co-op isn't what I was looking for in this game. I'm a hosed up mutant who actually tries to cooperate when doing multiplayer in a Mario game; nobody on earth has a compatible play style.

They'll still probably patch it in close to launch.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

Takoluka posted:

Splatoon basically gates you from eating all the kids alive in Turf War with a Rank X squad, so I can understand the friend thing in that regard. During Splatfest, Salmon Run, and League Battles, you can team up with friends ad nauseum without issue. I never hear anyone mention that, though!

IIRC, on release during Splatfests, you could only play solo or in premade groups of 4. Groups of 2 or 3 weren't allowed until they redid the scoring system for Splatfests.

So there is precedence for fixing this sort of thing in a patch after release, but like, how many times do we have to go over this?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

W101, #FE depending on who you ask

I wanted to play xenoblade X but I've heard rumors it's getting a switch port too :shrug:

Anyway I have no clue on why nintendo continues to be so stubborn on their online. Like, not only are they typically missing features the industry figured out a decade ago their service is paid now so they don't even have the free excuse anymore.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 29, 2019

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I have been waiting for them to patch in 2+ people on a local switch with an online friend since launch of Smash too and there's no indication it's coming. Have any nintendo made switch games improved or added anything to do with their multiplayer post release? I can't think of any. I don't have high hopes for them adding multiplayer features for MM2 either

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Squibbles posted:

I have been waiting for them to patch in 2+ people on a local switch with an online friend since launch of Smash too and there's no indication it's coming. Have any nintendo made switch games improved or added anything to do with their multiplayer post release? I can't think of any. I don't have high hopes for them adding multiplayer features for MM2 either

Splatoon 2.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

they improved the smash matchmaking such that i never get dragged into free-for-alls and very very rarely fight a guy who has items on

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Bongo Bill posted:

Splatoon 2.
Makes sense since it's a super multiplayer focused game I guess

Brother Entropy posted:

they improved the smash matchmaking such that i never get dragged into free-for-alls and very very rarely fight a guy who has items on

Yeah you got me there

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I don't have time to process this video fully right now so I'll just put it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4e2tKkTUlQ

By the way, today's footage makes it pretty clear that they didn't fix the spawn timing of piranha plants, so that's annoying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DalaranJ posted:

I don't have time to process this video fully right now so I'll just put it here:

By the way, today's footage makes it pretty clear that they didn't fix the spawn timing of piranha plants, so that's annoying.

This is apparently not all the enemies despite the title.

Also what do you mean about piranhas?

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 29, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hm, I notice that 3D World labels Magikoopas as "Kamek", so now I'm wondering if it's a boss type enemy in 3D World.

edit: oh, the synthesized voice still says "Magikoopa" though

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

3D World is really missing a lot of the basic gizmos. Tracks, on/off blocks, and moving/falling platforms are all MIA.

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is apparently not all the enemies despite the title.
Some should just be variants you access through their main type. Goombrats, Pom Pom, fire bros, etc. I’d love it if they’re holding out on us and a few more are unlockable but I kind of doubt it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Argue posted:

Hm, I notice that 3D World labels Magikoopas as "Kamek", so now I'm wondering if it's a boss type enemy in 3D World.

edit: oh, the synthesized voice still says "Magikoopa" though

I've always called them 'Kamek' and I can't even remember why. I didn't even own a SNES/SMW back in the day :shrug:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm pretty sure Kamek is a specific Magikoopa. You can toss a bunch of Magikoopas into a map, but there's only one Kamek around.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They're all called Kamek in Japan

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
A dream feature for me would be a mode where the game alerts me when someone plays my level, and I can spectate in real time. It's fun seeing the "X" marks on my levels that show where people die, but I want to see it actually happen!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Takoluka posted:

I'm pretty sure Kamek is a specific Magikoopa. You can toss a bunch of Magikoopas into a map, but there's only one Kamek around.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

it's both

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

A dream feature for me would be a mode where the game alerts me when someone plays my level, and I can spectate in real time. It's fun seeing the "X" marks on my levels that show where people die, but I want to see it actually happen!

Yeah that would own. Or maybe if not in real time, the game could generate a replay file and send it to your account or something. Every level acts the same every time so all you'd need would be a little file that recorded and played back player input, which would be tiny. A few kilobytes at most. Allocate space on your switch's drive for saves and you could select saving the last X playthroughs of each of the last Y players to play your level Z.

That would be great, but it would require Nintendo to understand how to best utilize the online aspect of a game so it will definitely never happen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've never played MM1, are there any sort of glitch effects? I'd love to make a level that starts off as a recreation of 1-1, but very, very quickly breaks down into absolute madness (though not impossible to beat).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yes but one of the videos I watched (this one, at 19:14) specifically called it Kamek (while other videos say "Magikoopa"), and I know that the Japanese version doesn't use romaji for the enemy names.

edit: Oh... they're also called Kameks in PAL regions.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 29, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never played MM1, are there any sort of glitch effects? I'd love to make a level that starts off as a recreation of 1-1, but very, very quickly breaks down into absolute madness (though not impossible to beat).

There are effects but they’re usually very brief so you’d need to lay multiple down to keep it going. I think I saw a new glitch effect in one of the GameXplain videos that were posted yesterday.

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah that would own. Or maybe if not in real time, the game could generate a replay file and send it to your account or something.
Along the same lines I would love to see a ghost image of whoever got the speed record on a stage. Of course this should not be available until you beat the stage once.

I wonder if multiplayer runs will count for the speed run record? You could cheese some obstacles by having another player give you a boost.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 29, 2019

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
There's that one sound effect that's just a short electric buzz which kills the background music. I've seen that used in some levels that go for a creepy vibe and it works pretty well. That would probably work with Rupert's idea if they include it in MM2.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also what do you mean about piranhas?

Piranha plants in pipes spawn in the down position. This is bad design because it will cause players that are running to blind leap into a piranha plant they didn’t know existed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Suspicious Cook posted:

Pikmin 3

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

J-Spot posted:

3D World is really missing a lot of the basic gizmos. Tracks, on/off blocks, and moving/falling platforms are all MIA.

Some should just be variants you access through their main type. Goombrats, Pom Pom, fire bros, etc. I’d love it if they’re holding out on us and a few more are unlockable but I kind of doubt it.

There is apparently still some hidden stuff and Nintendo has not revealed everything.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DalaranJ posted:

Piranha plants in pipes spawn in the down position. This is bad design because it will cause players that are running to blind leap into a piranha plant they didn’t know existed.

That's the case in all normal Mario games though isn't it? It would be nice to have the option though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pursued by bees posted:

There's that one sound effect that's just a short electric buzz which kills the background music. I've seen that used in some levels that go for a creepy vibe and it works pretty well. That would probably work with Rupert's idea if they include it in MM2.

It’s still in.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Squibbles posted:

That's the case in all normal Mario games though isn't it? It would be nice to have the option though

In SMB spawn position is up, and in SMB3 it’s during the rising cycle (providing a gap of time before the fireball spit). I verified this on my NESClassic while researching my design patterns essay.

TBF, my information is based off observation (and dying over and over in SMM to piranha plants when I never did in other games), the variance could be attributed to different off screen spawn positions rather than cycle time.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 29, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

I don't think that qualifies as inherently bad design. If you wanted to design pipes to be potentially dangerous objects then interior piranha plant spawning would be the ideal design. That way every time you see a pipe you'd have to slow down and investigate it for a bit to see if it's a threat. Just because the player wants to go fast doesn't mean the game is badly designed if it doesn't accommodate that at every opportunity. The game is at least as much about assessing, avoiding, and progressing around threats as it is about making the player feel like Sonic.

I do agree it would be nice to have the option for all spawn positions though. Interior, exterior, entering, exiting.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In my mind the problem is more that you can't time it to anything, since it's based on where Mario is as opposed to anything else they just end up coming out at random times and that means you can't always get them to act consistently even if you were to run the stage the exact same way each time. You can try to make a challenge where you have to wait between plants but if you screw up their spawning bad enough you can just skip them and make them irrelevant. It'd be nice to have something almost like the timed firewalls except for piranha plants.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo if you're running and come across a pipe you should be able to tell if it has a piranha plant in it by the time you commit to the trajectory of your jump

having it timed to show up for the first time and kill you just as you're about to land on the pipe feels almost like an invisible coin block death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Oh, I loved the poo poo out of it, but I also heard a constant stream of complaints and could never convince my friends to play with me.

drat, that sucks. you need better friends