Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Time until Breaking Thread: ETA a few minutes after the first post-embargo stuff goes live.
Fortunately, a heavier post load doesn't affect the forums' stability. Unfortunately, phases of the moon and the position of the stars apparently do.

The real mistake was switching the forums from VBulletin over to Enochian. We have to refresh it every 15 seconds or the whole site goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Character name idea: Sativa Lockheart

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kerrzhe posted:

this is the only game where i've even heard of people calling it "honest healing" because in other games its just healing. no other mmo that i know of expects the healer to also keep up in dps.

someone hasn't played d&d online lol. most groups there are BYOH, clerics are there to blow poo poo up not be your healbot :v:

it was a really nice surprise coming to this game from that and seeing this game works mostly the same way.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Truga posted:

someone hasn't played d&d online lol. most groups there are BYOH, clerics are there to blow poo poo up not be your healbot :v:

it was a really nice surprise coming to this game from that and seeing this game works mostly the same way.

nah i never played that.

guild wars 2 was the same way actually, everyone having to manage their own healing, but "honest healing" was never a term used there.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Kerrzhe posted:

this is the only game where i've even heard of people calling it "honest healing" because in other games its just healing. no other mmo that i know of expects the healer to also keep up in dps.

That's what's so cool though, spinning a few plates is fun. I'm just baffled that there are people who don't want to do the cool and fun thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kerrzhe posted:

nah i never played that.

guild wars 2 was the same way actually, everyone having to manage their own healing, but "honest healing" was never a term used there.

I mean, in gw2 there's strictly no heal jobs, your main source of sustain is dodging poo poo in the first place and the personal heal skills are mostly there to cover fuckups really. Even if you wanted to do healing like in other games, you really can't, eventually people are going to start dying because there's not enough throughput.

In DDO, clerics absolutely can keep a bunch of people standing in fire alive. They just mostly choose not to because their time and resources are better spent on blowing poo poo up. :v:

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Healing Cutter's Cry for the first time as AST, the MNK's first time but both he and the MCH are having a bit of trouble and getting hit by mechanics in the bosses. The sand slime trash enemies do a poison on the tank which I was cleansing because that's what you do with poison? Is there a reason not to in this case? I didn't notice anything negative happening when doing it. I explain the Chimera's stuff for at least the MNK and the MCH decides this is the best way to address what I was apparently doing wrong (No one had said anything about it up to this point):

Like that's pretty bold to say going into the final boss where I could just not heal him but I'd much rather just be done with it. As the kids say, weird flex, but okay.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

The second boss does an earth DoT on a random person called sludge. I think he was pointing out that you didn't cleanse it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Honest healing is mostly a term in this game because of the Kelly edits? Like if other games where healers were expected to DPS had cartoons making fun of people who didn't with them labeled "honest healers' they'd probably have the slang too.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Klewer posted:

The second boss does an earth DoT on a random person called sludge. I think he was pointing out that you didn't cleanse it.

Ah alright, I misunderstood. I did miss that then, so that's good to know for next time, thanks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anything that's cleansable will have a big white line under the debuff, not to say that you should cleanse everything that's cleansable though

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
I'm having a massive itch to play this game again. I've always digged the story but stopped for various reasons somewhere around the end of Heavensward. The last thing I remember is finding Matoya's cave, mabye I played a bit further. To delve back in, what do I have to buy? Is there still some story in Heavensward or do I have to get Stormblood? Should I wait for the new expansion? I remember reading somewhere that previous content would be included, is that true?

Another thing - I was playing a Paladin and then switched to Dark Knight because I love bigass swords and tanking but got irritated at all the button and mana management surrounding DRK. I love the style and animations thogh, did playing them get any easier?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fluegel posted:

I'm having a massive itch to play this game again. I've always digged the story but stopped for various reasons somewhere around the end of Heavensward. The last thing I remember is finding Matoya's cave, mabye I played a bit further. To delve back in, what do I have to buy? Is there still some story in Heavensward or do I have to get Stormblood? Should I wait for the new expansion? I remember reading somewhere that previous content would be included, is that true?

Another thing - I was playing a Paladin and then switched to Dark Knight because I love bigass swords and tanking but got irritated at all the button and mana management surrounding DRK. I love the style and animations thogh, did playing them get any easier?

You still have plenty of story left in Heavensward and its patches. Shadowbringers will give you Stormblood, but not until it launches.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

I did! gently caress your wounds, you can get healed off the rogue's UMD wands, my spell slots are for blowing poo poo up! =D

It was terrible fun.

Literally, terrible. And fun. Half of the things you could do with 3.X, with just enough that would make you reach and say, "so does that mean that I can do THIS classic bit of twinkery? No? Awww."

Speaking of old MMOs, I just found out last night that Space Cowboy Online was relaunched as AirRivals/Ace Online, and oh my god, I have too many old games.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I did! gently caress your wounds, you can get healed off the rogue's UMD wands, my spell slots are for blowing poo poo up! =D

It was terrible fun.

Literally, terrible. And fun. Half of the things you could do with 3.X, with just enough that would make you reach and say, "so does that mean that I can do THIS classic bit of twinkery? No? Awww."

Speaking of old MMOs, I just found out last night that Space Cowboy Online was relaunched as AirRivals/Ace Online, and oh my god, I have too many old games.

How old is this relaunch? I played like 8 years ago and it was called Ace Online then

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

unseenlibrarian posted:

Honest healing is mostly a term in this game because of the Kelly edits? Like if other games where healers were expected to DPS had cartoons making fun of people who didn't with them labeled "honest healers' they'd probably have the slang too.

Yeah, I think Seiferguy's edits basically coined the term. I don't know if anyone outside of us uses it. I can't remember if people were using it before but the Kellies really brought it into the common lingo.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Had to dig up my old phone because of software token. No biggie, cause wifi. App would not sync despite everything. After 2 "too many logins please wait" decided to google a bit more about it. Read to reinstall somewhere. Uninstall, reinstall. Everything gone. And because I'm a dumbass I didn't write anything down.

Filled out a support request to help me out with removing it so I can move it on my new phone. Glad I tried this ahead of time before expansion.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Xun posted:

How old is this relaunch? I played like 8 years ago and it was called Ace Online then

Oh, AGES by now, the last time I played it was still SCO, and then they shut it down, and I never heard about any of the relaunches or EU servers until LAST NIGHT, which was only spurred on because the Discord was talking about Gunbound getting a mobile rerelease.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I have an important question regarding the most important aspect of the game, fashion.

I've been rocking a glamour based on Hrist from Valkyrie Profile -

But I'm not exactly happy with my helm choice. Are there any plate helms that come close to the design she has?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Truga posted:

I mean, in gw2 there's strictly no heal jobs, your main source of sustain is dodging poo poo in the first place and the personal heal skills are mostly there to cover fuckups really. Even if you wanted to do healing like in other games, you really can't, eventually people are going to start dying because there's not enough throughput.

In DDO, clerics absolutely can keep a bunch of people standing in fire alive. They just mostly choose not to because their time and resources are better spent on blowing poo poo up. :v:

Nah, Anet were huge cowards and made dedicated healing specs in the first expansion and then added more in the second one.

They also sort-of added tanking.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Embargo's up. Lots of videos.

Leaks seem accurate for Astrologian already.

Holy still has stun.

Assize still has damage.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 29, 2019

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Tank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkIo3G85It0

physical ranged dps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onWgM23cbeU

healer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS-pGutt4o

melee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6kERH7XGo

caster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh47011FT3w

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
throw wide the gates

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
It has been ages since I played it but while we are still (fake edit: or were when I started typing) on other MMO healer chat, I remember Guild Wars 1 and the fact that it seemed like no one played healer. Game had no dedicated tank or way to manage aggro (which still wouldn't stop people from complaining about warriors not tanking :v:) which meant that every group of mobs would somewhat randomly spread out on who they attack. So you basically would have like up to eight players, including yourself, to heal with no way to see who is gonna be hurt more except by all the bars starting to drop the moment combat begins.

Let's just say that if it weren't for NPC healers you could bring along who had the power of instantanous reactions, it would've taken forever to even get a single group together.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hopefully someone can compile all the information so I don't have to watch some unfunny nerd talk about things inbetween bouts of demanding I like and subscribe and feeding me this episode's sponsor and to use the referral link below to get 20% off my first month of audible.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
A-fflatus misery

:downsrim:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Leal posted:

Hopefully someone can compile all the information so I don't have to watch some unfunny nerd talk about things inbetween bouts of demanding I like and subscribe and feeding me this episode's sponsor and to use the referral link below to get 20% off my first month of audible.
https://gamerescape.com/2019/05/29/final-fantasy-xiv-shadowbringers-media-tour-overview/

This has a lot of just images and text for the jobs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thank you kind goon :tipshat:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This dude has pretty good, succinct rundowns of each class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2km4GpWoc

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Been reading the BRD tooltips and it's... a little interesting?

Confirmed that Straight Shot buff is just gone and Straight Shot Ready is only going to proc from Heavy Arrow, and at 70, Reflugent just straight up replaces Straight Shot. Barrage also gives a Straight Shot Ready proc so I guess Barrage's primary purpose will be to dump it on Straighter Shot/Reflugent.

Quick Knock has the chance to reset Bloodletter/Rain of Death at 74, so yeah, Mage Ballad AOE burn is going to be even more stupid than it is now.

A lot of the stuff with Enhanced Army's Paeon really reads like Yoshi-P doesn't want you cutting off Paeon early and you actually have an incentive to let the song fully play.

But I am happy that we finally get an upgrade to Heavy Shot!

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 29, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Huh, they've changed BRD's Repertoire gain to be based off a 40% proc chance rather than crits, which is fair and probably a massive increase in procs for most players, but I'm gonna miss my crazy crit class.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Oh, so WHM really is keeping assize damage and the holy stun.

Well even without them, the new fart misery is hands down the best between cards and chain stratagem for dungeons, seems WHM will retain and establish further its dominance as god-emperor of dungeons.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Rest in piss one ilm punch

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Looks like the assumption I made that wyrmwaves now only trigger on GCD spells is accurate, which makes a pretty big difference in SMN playstyle. Seems like it's all upgrades and not many extra buttons which is super nice, because the SMN hotbar was hella crowded.

Edit: Saving up Ruin IV procs as charges is a nice idea too.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 29, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Here's some videos that don't have to do with jobs per se.

Login
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z1PAhYag50
Hrothgar emotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0hp-MkjLZU
Viera emotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NejEm8c96c
Trust preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1INVfA7gkfo

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Royal Authority being an upgrade to Rage of Halone is going to make roulettes way less obnoxious.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
all 3 healers have one dot and one filler spell lol

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I'm actually in awe right now, they've basically crushed half of the damage and pretty much all the job identity and uniqueness out of all three healers. I figured they'd at least buff WHM but even that gets to eat poo poo I guess.

Better luck in 6.0?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brief healer writeup:

WHM: You now accrue one Lily every 30 seconds you are engaged in combat. Lilies are spent on either Afflatus Solace (a strong single target heal) or Afflatus Rapture (a moderate AoE heal). Spending a Lily will nourish the Blood Lily. After the Blood Lily has been nourished three times, you can cast Afflatus Misery, a massive AoE damage spell. Holy retained its stun, but its potency is now 10 lower than that of other healers' basic AoE spells. Plenary Indulgence is an AoE buff that lasts 10 seconds and applies an additional heal effect on being hit by an AoE heal from you. There was no word on Assize from the vid I watched, so no clue if it retains the damage component or not.

SCH: Eos and Selene are now completely the same aside from aesthetics, using Eos' old skillset. Seraph is the new Demi Bahamut-esque pet, gained at level 80, which has two unique actions: a single target Adlo-esque heal, and an AoE Succor-esque heal with two charges. Sacred Soil gains a new HoT component added on to it, making it akin to Asylum. Embrace is weaker, but is now instant cast. Down to one DoT, Broil, and Art of War for DPS actions. Somewhat comically, they now have the de facto strongest normal AoE DPS out of all of the healers if the current potency values remain the same.

AST: Draw is now two actions: Draw and Play. Cards all provide a damage buff when applied and grant their associated Arcana Seal to the AST. Once you get three seals, you can use Divination, a new action, to provide a party-wide damage buff, with its potency based on the number of different seals you have. Redraw can store up to three charges. Sleeve Draw now resets the cooldown timer of Draw and grants two additional casts of Draw without incurring the normal 30s cooldown. Minor Arcana is now a level 50 action and converts ordinary cards into stronger versions of themselves, but does not grant the appropriate Seal. Essential Dignity now has two charges. The level 80 action grants you the benefit of both sects and a healing buff for a brief time. Celestial Opposition is now an AoE regen + shield effect. Gravity, thank god, is now a level 45 action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Holy stun stays, Assize keeps damage, it is a good day to be a WHM.

...wait, Fluid Aura has lost it's knockback?

WHM IS RUINED