Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Matt Fraction's Jimmy Olsen looks great.
https://twitter.com/nathanfairbairn/status/1133405258158182400
e: And it was!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo. Doomsday Clock #10's the one with the Doc-Manhattan-makes-the-New-52 payoff. It even puts the storyline on hold to be all about that, so you could just pick this one issue up.
It's a pretty neat story too. Better'n the end of Heroes In Crisis, anyway.

Doc trying to grasp the history of DC reboots:

Very relatable.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 29, 2019

radlum
May 13, 2013
Has Superman been referred to as "Man of Action" before?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

so you could just pick this one issue up.
No.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I was waiting for all of Doomsday Clock to be released before reading it but it sounds like I should at least flip through that issue so I don't have the whole thing blown for me.

And I normally hate buying miniseries as single issues and wait to get them in trade but it sounds like the Fraction book may be worth checking out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So apparently Heroes in Crisis ends with Wally getting a knee in the crotch from Harley and then locked in jail? What a wet fart of an ending for what seems like a terrible series.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I have no idea how well that issue of Doomsday Clock would read as a standalone but I kinda liked it. Johns even managed to write Manhattan.

X-O posted:

So apparently Heroes in Crisis ends with Wally getting a knee in the crotch from Harley and then locked in jail? What a wet fart of an ending for what seems like a terrible series.

Also Booster turns up and magically solves the time loop by cloning Wally in the future offscreen and then swapping in the clone for the dead Wally

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shoulda used a time remnant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Shoulda used a time remnant.

Shoulda just stayed in the speedforce instead of coming back in Rebirth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

No fuckin joke. I'd have rather he never returned if I'd known what they were going to do with him.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

X-O posted:

Have they said at all why they bothered or is it just DC's usual contempt for readers and happy endings?

Remember when DC was all about inspirational heroes and Marvel was the dark and gritty stuff?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beerdeer posted:

Have they said at all why they bothered or is it just DC's usual contempt for readers and happy endings?

Remember when DC was all about inspirational heroes and Marvel was the dark and gritty stuff?

On a certain level, I don't think DC ever recovered from the success of Batman Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

On a certain level, I don't think DC ever recovered from the success of Batman Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

Blame Dr. Manhattan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I never knew till today how much I needed a jimmy Olson and Dex-Starr book

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Love the cheeky self referential meta jokes in our dour PTSD murder mystery/character assassination book.

Better to remind the people of that time when you wrote a decent book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My favorite part of the resolution to Heroes in Crisis is how it basically ends with people hugging it out and a conversation of

WALLY: I messed up bad. I killed people.
BOOSTER: Hey man, we all mess up! Who among us hasn't accidentally killed people? Or purposefully killed people?
BATGIRL: I haven't.
BOOSTER: But you got shot and crippled. And Beetle got murdered by someone he thought was his friend!
EVERYONE: Can't argue with that, it's the unshakable bond we soldie--- I mean police office-- superheroes share, the bond between murderers and victims.
BOOSTER: Right, and we're going to commit some more crimes to help you out Wally, because it's BROS BEFORE HEROES. A Thin Blue Line, if you will. A brotherhood in arms where we all protect each other no matter what. This has absolutely no parallels to real life military or law enforcement.

EVERYONE: Sometimes... therapy... is good?

~FIN~

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Edge & Christian posted:

My favorite part of the resolution to Heroes in Crisis is how it basically ends with people hugging it out and a conversation of

WALLY: I messed up bad. I killed people.
BOOSTER: Hey man, we all mess up! Who among us hasn't accidentally killed people? Or purposefully killed people?
BATGIRL: I haven't.
BOOSTER: But you got shot and crippled. And Beetle got murdered by someone he thought was his friend!
EVERYONE: Can't argue with that, it's the unshakable bond we soldie--- I mean police office-- superheroes share, the bond between murderers and victims.
BOOSTER: Right, and we're going to commit some more crimes to help you out Wally, because it's BROS BEFORE HEROES. A Thin Blue Line, if you will. A brotherhood in arms where we all protect each other no matter what. This has absolutely no parallels to real life military or law enforcement.

EVERYONE: Sometimes... therapy... is good?

~FIN~

Wait, is Ted dead again? He was alive not that long ago.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

good day for a bris posted:

Wait, is Ted dead again? He was alive not that long ago.
No, he's alive. But in trying to talk Wally down from being too depressed about accidentally killing a bunch of heroes and framing Booster and Harley, Booster related the story of how Ted got shot in the head and killed by Maxwell Lord. Because that's the sort of thing that you come back from, so what's the big deal? Bros Before Heroes!

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

No, he's alive. But in trying to talk Wally down from being too depressed about accidentally killing a bunch of heroes and framing Booster and Harley, Booster related the story of how Ted got shot in the head and killed by Maxwell Lord. Because that's the sort of thing that you come back from, so what's the big deal? Bros Before Heroes!

Yeah I read the issue and I'm just confused. Is old Ted back? Does Nu-Ted have Old Ted's memories? Does Nu-Ted just kinda know what happened to Old Ted?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think uh Rebirth? made Nu Ted into old Ted, but who loving knows

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I think uh Rebirth? made Nu Ted into old Ted, but who loving knows

Yeah, I remember they were making some moderately sized deal about Nu Ted in Blue Beetle and Justice League a couple of years back and saddling him with a Lex Luthor focused back story. But hey, I'm happy to have Old Ted back, they didnt do much of anythign with him outside of him being Jaime's tech guy and mentor.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

X-O posted:

Love the cheeky self referential meta jokes in our dour PTSD murder mystery/character assassination book.

Better to remind the people of that time when you wrote a decent book.

The actual book was real bad, but I liked the jokes. The Robins and Spoiler joke was great.

I'm sick of Doomsday Clock, but I can't tell at this point if it's boring or if the delays just ruined it for me. Like there were multiple comics building up this mystery for a while before Doomsday Clock even started, but then everything else just kind of moved on while this got endlessly pushed back and at this point I just feel like who gives a poo poo.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 29, 2019

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Thin blue line except it's DC heroes so I guess it's the Big Blue line :v: Speaking of big blue, everyone's favorite Watchmen character is finally front and center by which I mean Dr. Manhattan's hog. Leviathan is also quickly disappearing up its own rear end but the back end with Jimmy and Dex-Starr was fun, even if it felt weighed down by everything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is this Leviathan related to Morrison's in any way?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Rhyno posted:

Is this Leviathan related to Morrison's in any way?

Bendis' OC stole the organization from Talia.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Neat!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'll have whatever the opposite is, Chef.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Darth Nat posted:

Bendis' OC stole the organization from Talia.

Is their name The Hoodie?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well gently caress I am bummed now. I was hoping that maybe Wally's plan in Heroes 9 would undo everything that happened. It did not, so now Wally is basically ruined as a character.

Heroes in a Crisis what an awful awful awful idea.

Edit:gently caress this more apparently King views this as something that elevates the character.

Tom King posted:

That said, I face this time and again, this is kind of what I do. I tear down heroes to their essential components and build them back up. I mean, to the first page in Mister Miracle, he's bleeding out, he's cut his own wrist. The first issue of Omega Man, Kyle Rainer gets his neck chopped open, the first issue of The Vision has his daughter being stabbed through the heart, right?

This is sort of what I do, but at the end of the day, hopefully people say "oh, he had some respect for that Mister Miracle, he wasn't just doing it to be mean, he was actually doing it to exploit his character and to elevate the character." Mister Miracle went through hell, but now everybody knows who Mister Miracle is, right? Same with Vision, I put him through hell. I had him almost turn into absolute evil, but it elevated that character a little bit, and now they're doing the TV show which, you know, had something to do with my stuff. So, hopefully people will see at the end of the day, we're doing the same thing with Wally. Wally hasn't had a successful solo comic since, when? 2003? What I'm saying is, the idea behind this is to elevate that character. Everyone is now talking about Wally. Everyone wants to see where Wally goes next. Everyone wants Wally to get the attention that that character deserves. He's my favorite Flash. He's my entry into DC comics -- The Flash #53 by Messner-Loebs and Larocque was my first DC comic. I love that character. I have a page above my desk of Wally from that Flash run and I think this, at the end of the day, will shine a spotlight on my character and put him at the center of the DC universe, in a place he hasn't been for 15 years.

The arrogance is astounding. No wonder I felt right to fear whatever his massive status quo change for Batman is, that will make his "mark" on the character.

Anyway I refuse to support any books written by him anymore.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 29, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In that same interview he says it was editorial that picked the characters because his way of writing is to come up with a story and let the editors pick the characters for the story.

quote:

As I’ve said many times before, I don’t pick the characters for my story; I give my plot to the editors and then the editors pick the characters for me. So I told them in the beginning, “this is what it’s going to be — it’s going to be about one hero who’s made a mistake and it’s going to be about the two heroes that get framed for that mistake.” And they said, “okay, it’s Booster, Harley, and Wally, those are the three characters.”

That seems like a weird way of writing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's similar to, but obviously more extreme than, when writers are told which X-Men they can use for their book or whatever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Of all the claptrap defenses of HiC, I didn't really expect "Everyone's talking about it so that must mean it did good!" to come from the writer himself.

Anyway, Doomsday Clock this week was actually quite interesting. The story itself absolutely has gone on for way too long, but I was glad this issue at least took the time to go over everything it needed to go over.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

It's similar to, but obviously more extreme than, when writers are told which X-Men they can use for their book or whatever.

That actually makes more sense. I'd rather know what characters I have and write a story to fit to them than write a story have be told I have to fit certain characters into.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like how he goes out of his way to congratulate himself for vision being in the mcu considering his series didn't come out until a year after aou iirc

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
"We completely assassinated Wally's character, but don't worry, we have big plans for him! He'll be even better than before, honest!"

Time truly is a wheel in the world of comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

I like how he goes out of his way to congratulate himself for vision being in the mcu considering his series didn't come out until a year after aou iirc

To be fair he’s talking about the show which is said to be using that series as some kind of inspiration.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Of all the claptrap defenses of HiC, I didn't really expect "Everyone's talking about it so that must mean it did good!" to come from the writer himself.

Anyway, Doomsday Clock this week was actually quite interesting. The story itself absolutely has gone on for way too long, but I was glad this issue at least took the time to go over everything it needed to go over.

I wonder if Doomsday Clock had actually been on time and not elongated/whatever, if this issue would be as interesting as you all are saying. Is it because they finally got to the fireworks factory, or it's just the thing that everyone knew was going to happen for like, 2 years is finally being explained?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
15 years of this bullshit, man.

I'm just so sad about everything in this dumb company. :smith:

I just don't get why they hate him so much. I don't get why they keep doing poo poo like this. And I'm such a pathetic poo poo for caring so much but whatever, I've been reading Wally West comics since I could read at all and it bothers the hell out of me.

edit: in less sad and more critical news, let's talk about absolutely loving absurd plotholes. Apparently Booster can magically make corpses that are in all ways undetectable by modern science. So why the gently caress didn't they just make time corpses of all the dead people, put their corpses their to freak out Wally so he still does what he does without creating a bootstrap paradox, and then have Wally save them with time travel? It'd be the same dumb loving time loop bullshit, only you get to save everyone and it wouldn't leave a giant glaring plot hole that just screams, "All these people have to remain dead so Wally can be forever branded as their killer."

Hallmark of a hack, throwing time travel into a story when you can't ask the most basic logical questions of the things you're doing and how it undermines the whole story.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 29, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Two Tone Shoes posted:

15 years of this bullshit, man.

I'm just so sad about everything in this dumb company. :smith:

edit: in less sad and more critical news, let's talk about absolutely loving absurd plotholes. Apparently Booster can magically make corpses that are in all ways undetectable by modern science. So why the gently caress didn't they just make time corpses of all the dead people, put their corpses their to freak out Wally so he still does what he does without creating a bootstrap paradox, and then have Wally save them with time travel? It'd be the same dumb loving time loop bullshit, only you get to save everyone and it wouldn't leave a giant glaring plot hole that just screams, "All these people have to remain dead so Wally can be forever branded as their killer."

Hallmark of a hack, throwing time travel into a story when you can't ask the most basic logical questions of the things you're doing and how it undermines the whole story.

Blue lives matter
Troop lives matter

But only when we are covering up crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tom King wanted to do an Atomic Knights story, but Didio insisted on Mister Miracle. And his original pitch when offered Vision was a space story.

EDIT: So, the Wally West Suicide Squad is a lock, right?

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 29, 2019