Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Tasker is my old standby, it's not exactly user friendly but I specifically use it to set phone to sound only when I'm at home, vibrate everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a calender app that offers the following:

-support for Google Calendar
-dark mode
-a more compact widget than Google Calendar

Business Calendar 2 is smartly built and offers these things. Be prepared to pay a few bucks for some of these features, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a calender app that offers the following:

-support for Google Calendar
-dark mode
-a more compact widget than Google Calendar

Google Calendar has dark mode now, last I checked.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ThermoPhysical posted:

It does, tho not in the widget because it's Google, but I'm really looking for one app that offers all three of these.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Incessant Excess posted:

It does, tho not in the widget because it's Google, but I'm really looking for one app that offers all three of these.

Why not just load up a widget and use google calendar.

I use month.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.candl.chronos

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a way I can set my phone to automatically switch to vibrate either based on time of day or location? I want my phone to be on vibrate while at work and right now I'm using Llama to do that which is very old and maybe more battery intensive than more modern alternatives, if there are such things.

There's speculation this kind of thing will be rolled into Android itself but barring waiting for that the article mentions Tasker and two apps I've never heard of, MacroDroid and Automate. Given the direction Google is moving in I feel like all of them probably have a limited shelf life and while Tasker is undoubtedly heavier than what you need, it's probably the one likely to stand the longest.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's this? Where is the toggle?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

What's this? Where is the toggle?

Settings > Display > Advanced > System Theme

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LastInLine posted:

There's speculation this kind of thing will be rolled into Android itself but barring waiting for that the article mentions Tasker and two apps I've never heard of, MacroDroid and Automate. Given the direction Google is moving in I feel like all of them probably have a limited shelf life and while Tasker is undoubtedly heavier than what you need, it's probably the one likely to stand the longest.

Yeah back in the early Android days I had a ton of cool things set up with Tasker, but Android added more and more of them to the stock OS, or a custom launcher worked (though a lot of the things I used a launcher for are rolled into stock these days too)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Settings > Display > Advanced > System Theme

Sounds like you're referring to the OS setting, rather than the calendar. I've had the system dark mode on since it became available.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Sounds like you're referring to the OS setting, rather than the calendar. I've had the system dark mode on since it became available.

My understanding was that the apps followed the system setting. I have no first hand experience as I'm Bright theme for life.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

In Google Calendar, hamburger menu -> Settings -> General -> Theme

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Must be AB testing or doing a roll out. I don't see that option on mine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Must be AB testing or doing a roll out. I don't see that option on mine.

Same.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Must be another slow roll out. I had to get the apk to see it.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/20/google-calendar-gets-the-dark-mode-treatment/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

How do I get Waze to stop telling me about red light cameras? They are all over the place and I don't need an audible alert every intersection.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

My understanding was that the apps followed the system setting. I have no first hand experience as I'm Bright theme for life.

Just tried the built in dark theme and I can't find an app it actually affects. It doesn't even change the settings menu or any of my current notifications. It's pretty bad.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Are there any other live wallpapers that are as simple as the living earth Pixel ones from Google? I really enjoy them a lot but would love some more variety in my choices.
A lot of live wallpapers I've seen are way too intense, I like the slowly drifting clouds and tiny barely noticeable cars of the pixel ones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just tried the built in dark theme and I can't find an app it actually affects. It doesn't even change the settings menu or any of my current notifications. It's pretty bad.

On the one hand, I'm probably wrong. I was basing my assumption on the fact that I didn't have the option in my Calendar settings despite having the latest version installed. On the other, it seems like the whole idea sucks if the user is expected to search through every app's settings to set it to match a system-wide setting.

I mean, it's Google. The setting isn't even actually ready from my understanding but it seems like if you're going to start updating your apps to take advantage of this forthcoming dark mode and you're going to expose the option to the user to turn it on, how is the default not following the system setting?

I honestly would believe any answer,

couldcareless posted:

Are there any other live wallpapers that are as simple as the living earth Pixel ones from Google? I really enjoy them a lot but would love some more variety in my choices.
A lot of live wallpapers I've seen are way too intense, I like the slowly drifting clouds and tiny barely noticeable cars of the pixel ones.

I'm definitely interested in this too. I've searched many times and never come close.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I'm definitely interested in this too. I've searched many times and never come close.

Me too. I tried the "video wallpapers" in the Zedge app and they're rear end.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Uthor posted:

How do I get Waze to stop telling me about red light cameras? They are all over the place and I don't need an audible alert every intersection.

Should be under settings > alerts and reports > reports. I turned off "vehicle stopped on shoulder" too because people love also reporting abandoned vehicles and I was tired of three million notifications.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I like the fluid simulation live wall paper. You can customize it so that it is very show and suddle.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=7596352546733505681

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

taiyoko posted:

Should be under settings > alerts and reports > reports. I turned off "vehicle stopped on shoulder" too because people love also reporting abandoned vehicles and I was tired of three million notifications.

The only thing close that I see is speed cameras. There's also police, traffic, crashes, and a million options for hazards. Nothing that says "red light" and nothing explaining what the categories actually are.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
:frogbon:

On the topic of live wallpaper, I used the Live Earth one that came on the Pixel for a while, but eventually upgraded to this parallax Earth and Moon one and I really enjoy it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Speaking of Waze, what are the top reasons to use Waze over Google Maps? And vice-versa, what does Google Maps excel at over Waze?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like how Waze displays the map in Android Auto. Less cluttered than Maps.

I like how Maps displays times of alternate routes as your driving, giving me information to decide if I want to take a different road.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't like how the businesses that I've never been to seem more prominent in Waze than in Google Maps.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
:smith:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On the topic of live wallpaper, I used the Live Earth one that came on the Pixel for a while, but eventually upgraded to this parallax Earth and Moon one and I really enjoy it.

That is really nice looking. The pro version is $9.99, which seems like a lot to me for a live wallpaper. Free version seems good enough.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lowen SoDium posted:

:smith:

That is really nice looking. The pro version is $9.99, which seems like a lot to me for a live wallpaper. Free version seems good enough.

I didn't even know there was a pro version. I guess I've been using the free version and it certainly hasn't bothered me about upgrading or anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

All of a sudden in Android Auto Maps is showing coordinates rather than names for Work and Home. Googling for this has proven fruitless. Does anyone know of an incantation to make it human readable again?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LastInLine posted:

All of a sudden in Android Auto Maps is showing coordinates rather than names for Work and Home. Googling for this has proven fruitless. Does anyone know of an incantation to make it human readable again?

Mine randomly does this. I tend to ignore it and then the next time I get in the car it will be fine. Then it will randomly reappear again days later. It's mildly irritating

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Mine randomly does this. I tend to ignore it and then the next time I get in the car it will be fine. Then it will randomly reappear again days later. It's mildly irritating

You have a well chosen username if you find it "mildly irritating". It drives me bonkers that it's *only* on the home screen. Choose to navigate to it and it says Home. It's been three days so maybe it will go away on its own or maybe it won't and I'll die of OCD, both sound fine,

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Weather Underground app has gotten worse and worse in performance, stability, and intrusive whole-screen ads. Any suggestions for a replacement? The first suggestion in the OP doesn't seem to exist anymore.

My main want is a time graph of temperature and precipitation potential, and a widget with the same over the next 48 or so hours. I'm a graph man what can I say.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

alnilam posted:

The Weather Underground app has gotten worse and worse in performance, stability, and intrusive whole-screen ads. Any suggestions for a replacement? The first suggestion in the OP doesn't seem to exist anymore.

My main want is a time graph of temperature and precipitation potential, and a widget with the same over the next 48 or so hours. I'm a graph man what can I say.

Do you like Dark Sky?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ever since I got my Galaxy Buds, my Note 9 has been Text-to-Speech reading the name of anyone who calls me, regardless of whether the phone is set to vibrate or silent.

I can't figure out what setting changed and how to disable it.

Since I use the earbuds for music, not for Bluetooth calls, I have no desire for it to ever read the names of callers, so completely disabling this is preferable.

Any ideas?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For the Pixel Buds, you need to go into the Assistant settings within the Google app to edit how the ear buds work. I'd imagine it'd be similar on a Samsung.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Do you like Dark Sky?

Kinda. It has good information and its map is amazing, but:
It lacks a time plot over the next ~48 hrs, which I'd like in a widget and in the app
You have to cycle between plotting temperature over time vs precip potential, rather than overlaying them
Its day by day forecast is arranged in a scroll-down list rather than something more compact

I really like the way weather underground app formats things, it's just become a terrible app :(

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah if the dark sky app worked more like the site I'd be overjoyed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

alnilam posted:

Kinda. It has good information and its map is amazing, but:
It lacks a time plot over the next ~48 hrs, which I'd like in a widget and in the app

Yeah, Weather Timeline had this and was nice.

alnilam posted:

You have to cycle between plotting temperature over time vs precip potential, rather than overlaying them

On the graph on the main page, if it's blue, there's a potential for rain and I think the percentage is listed off to the side while the dots are the temperature. Right now I have no rain in the next 24 hours to screencap.

alnilam posted:

Its day by day forecast is arranged in a scroll-down list rather than something more compact

I really like the way weather underground app formats things, it's just become a terrible app :(

I can't argue with the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
The Weather Channel bought Wunderground for the sole purpose of ruining it. Whatever exec(s) over there who are responsible for this can diaf afaic, preferably a fire caused by lightning from a storm they didn't know was coming because the website is all but unusable now.

E: Oh and then they bought Intellicast, which was a really decent alternative and made intellicast.com redirect to wunderground.com. I was infuriated and am still really loving bitter about it all.

E2: The NWS could be pretty great with some decent site design, better graphs etc but this is getting pretty off topic I'm done.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 1, 2019